Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To: Her Majesty [member="Lorelei Darke"], Sovereign of Kuat and Chief Executive Officer of the Kuat Drive Yards
Subject: Business Proposal

Encryption: Secure

Salutations,

I hope Kuat is fairing well in light of the One Sith establishing dominance in that general sector. I had hoped they did not deign it necessary to further sully their already abysmal reputation by needlessly harrying the people of Kuat and their Queen. Needless to say, I was quite relieved when negotiations ended on reasonable terms. Kuat has always been one of the more civilized worlds in the galaxy; with no small thanks to the Kuat Drive Yards. It would be a shame to see either fall victim to Sith barbarism.

It had always been the intentions of my colleagues at Hegemonic Automaton to engage with Kuat Drive Yards in business, but until now they were not in development of a product they felt would be of interest to you or your corporation. I am sure you have heard of the Battle Analysis Computer that your former competitors, Rendili Star Drive, employed on some of their last models. It pains me to say that although their idea to incorporate it onto their starships was well-meaning, their execution was... Questionable, to say the least. They have afforded few changes to the original design, and so it remains largely ineffective.

Fortunately my acquaintances at Hegemonic Automaton are far more ambitious and have developed a Battle Analysis Computer that functions as intended. This feat was only made possible, I am told, through use of Hegemonic Automaton's patented internal systems. Given that a fully functional Battle Analysis Computer can very turn the tide of a battle if used properly, my colleagues and I can only conclude that such an advanced piece of equipment should be presented first- and to no one else -to only the most celebrated and august names in the shipbuilding industry.

Attached to this message are further details on the Battle Analysis Computer, should you require them. We look forward to hearing your response.

With all due Respect,

Gerion Ardik, Viceroy of Hypori

To: The Viceroy of Hypori, [member="Gerion Ardik"]

Color me intrigued.

Let's discuss this more over dinner. I haven't the pleasure of visiting Hypori before and I'm eager to sample the local fare.

Signed,
Lorelei Darke
CEO of the Kuat Drive Yards
Sovereign of Kuat

"That was more terse than I was expecting."

"Did you just get asked out to dinner by the Queen of Kuat?"

Gerion narrowed his eyes at his assistant. Aside from the unflinching glare, the Umbaran said nothing.

"...Viceroy?"

"Leave."
---​

To: Her Majesty [member="Lorelei Darke"], Sovereign of Kuat and Chief Executive Officer of the Kuat Drive Yards

I shall make the necessary arrangements to receive you.

Signed,

Gerion Ardik, Viceroy of Hypori

---​
New E'y-Akh was Hypori's largest city and the seat of the Viceroyality. Its name was suitable in reflecting the origins of the Geonosians who originally settled the planet. New E'y-Akh had since blossomed into a bustling multi-cultural metropolis alongside the rest of Hypori. Like the rest of the galaxy, it had its fair share of problems, though the worst of them were smashed repeatedly by the iron fist of Viceroy Ardik during the first few years of his reign. The tensions between industrialists and the working class being ruthlessly dismantled by the threat of the Viceroy's secret police. Leaders of both unions and industrialists who weren't willing to compromise typically ended up deported or the victim of any number of other cruel fates.

But we're not going to talk about that, because this is polite conversation.

The Queen of Kuat was given indefinite lodging in New E'y-Akh's preeminent luxury hotel. All courtesy of the Viceroyality, who had never entertained a guest of such import. Really, the hotel was only there for the family and friends of the resident industrial robber barons. Not too far from it, also built specifically for visiting relatives of the upper classes, was a similarly prestigious restaurant. Reflecting Hypori's strange history, the restaurant was some kind of fusion of Geonosian and Atrisian cuisine. Gerion had no idea how it worked- he had never eaten there. He took his meals in his office, which were usually Imperial Rations. Flavorless but nutritious: the ultimate in mealtime efficiency.

The dinner reservation was scheduled for the late evening. In the unnaturally quiet waiting area, Hypori's Viceroy checked his chronometer. He was early. As if he would be anything else.

"The Viceroy of Hypori? That the one that looks like a woman from behind?"

"I daresay that's not a wholly precise description."

"A woman? You're just jealous of his beautiful hair. I think he's dreamy."

"You would think a rock wearing a bowler cap was dreamy."

The Queen released a tight sigh through her nostrils as both her Governor and her Secretary continued to bicker. She kneaded at her temples, watching the pair escalate from the seat at her desk. Really, these sorts of spats were more than enough to set her over the edge, but today had been particularly uneventful and she had a scotch to finish.

"Is it wise for you to be leaving the planet with all these Sith milling about?" Phe turned a particularly triumphant sneer the Queen's way as a fully defeated Lacy Hardt stamped out of the office to take her afternoon tea.

"My agreement with the Empire is quite clear and any formal move to solidify business within the regime will only strengthen it. Besides, you'll be staying here."

"Oh pity, I was hoping to see if he used a bow to tie his hair back. You'll at least tell me if he smells like a fruitful bounty?"

Bemused, Lorelei casually lifted her glass to take another drink, "I will never frown upon good hygiene."

"Hmph," Phe offered a cutting glance, "who am I today?"

"Her Highness the Crown Princess Amorella."

"You must be joking."

"No I'm quite serious. Here are her most recent documents and projects. See to it you remain inconspicuous and mind your tongue, the Princess is a model of decorum and tranquility. I realize that's quite a stretch for you. You can remain at the office if you like-"

Pheraella perked at this, devious glint forming in her eyes.

"-Ms. Hardt will be coming with me. You'll have DiVanca to assist you."

"The Ice Schutta," Phe deflated, "fetching."

There came a clink as Lorelei set down her emptied glass and rose from her seat with a sigh. Phe's livid gaze, now churning a heated red, followed the woman's progress around the desk and across the room to the hidden door at the back, "And Pheraella, the Princess is betrothed. No flirting this time, hm?"

"What's a crown without a little scandal?"

"Absolute."

"Boring. It's boring. I hope they feed you sushi...have fuuuuun."

~~~~~

Lorelei arrived precisely two minutes early - enough time to linger at the foyer where the attendants could take her traveling cloak and she could exchange amicable greetings with the owner of the restaurant. Seemed it was highly unusual for them to entertain the likes of people such as herself, but she handled the bridled enthusiasm with measured, regal charm. Dressed in what equated to business formal, a subdued version of her typical royal attire, the Queen's red and black gown presented little in the way of skin save for her hands and face. The fine silks accented by lines of silver threading in faint vine patterns crossed along her bossom to embellish the glimmer of a necklace.

Green eyes searched calmly for that of the Viceroy, finding him easily enough by the crown of glossy frost-blond hair.

"Viceroy," she approached, "a pleasure to meet you."

[member="Gerion Ardik"]

[member="Lorelei Darke"]

A small, muted burst of activity erupted near the front of the restaurant and led Gerion to believe the queen had arrived, and not a moment too soon. Given another three minutes, the Umbaran would have started to speculate he had been stood up for a dinner he didn't even call for. Something he would have, in his own words, described as "typical." When the Queen finally did arrive, she was easy enough to spot, more due to her red hair than anything else. His own attire wasn't much to speak of beyond what would be expected of an "elected" corporate governor. To the benefit of all on Hypori, Gerion's suit also presented precious little skin aside from his hands and face.

Somehow the restaurant owner had greeted Lorelei before he could, and Gerion made a mental note to knock a single star off of this restaurant's yelp review in retaliation. Owing to his ridiculous golden locks, Kuat's Queen had little trouble finding the Umbaran shortly after the owner excused himself. He gave a neck bow at her approach, as anything beyond that would have probably been uncomfortable.

"Likewise, your majesty." He replied. "I hope your flight from the core was enjoyable?"

"As enjoyable as one might expect any flight from the core to be," an easy reply as she eyed the man, acidic gaze unabashed at taking in what she considered to be rather handsome facial features. There was a smile starting somewhere in the curve of her lips, and for the briefest of moments it lingered on amused.

"Uneventful, cordial - not that I would complain of such things," a shadow followed her in - a Noghri to be exact, followed by a small retinue of fully-armored Kuatian Royal Guards, moving quietly despite their size. Lorelei remained fixated on the man before her, giving the group no thought at all. Her smile broadened with a faint glint of pearly teeth, "as if that conversation would be so fetching. Shall we?"

[member="Gerion Ardik"]

[member="Lorelei Darke"]

"I daresay any conversation with Kuat's monarch would be... Fetching." He replied, taking note of the revenue and the Noghri lurking behind her without directly looking. "Regardless of particular content."

Had she smiled just then? Not a gesture Gerion often received. Not in any sincere manner, at least. Reflexively Gerion smiled back at the broadening of her's, but anyone who knew him would doubt its sincerity just as much as he doubted the sincerity of anyone else's. Despite a thriving business and a comfortable lifestyle, the Umbaran hadn't smiled sincerely in six years. The muscles controlling such things had atrophied in the face of the galaxy's innumerable horrors.

Gerion gestured for the attention of the hostess, who subsequently led the two to their meticulously selected table. While not totally isolated from the rest of the restaurant or the other guests, the clear intention of this area was to offer some sort of respite from the general din of the more commonplace dining area.

"I must say, I was surprised at your request for dinner. Hypori is not particularly renown for its dining experience." He commented idly, as both were seated.

"Yes, well," taking her seat, Lorelei smoothed the fabric of her dress over her knees, propping one leg over the other, "up until recently if I bargained a meal at any planet outside of Republic territory I found myself pinned as some traitorous floozy. I daresay being pinned as an undercover Sith within their ranks was the highlight of my rather lengthy career, nevermind the Brunswick debacle," a light, derisive snort followed.

Menu at hand, she idly perused the selection. Lots of fish, hmmm....

"Afterwards I could hardly sneeze in the vaguest direction of unaffiliated worlds without someone raising a silent alarm, so I haven't made much effort to leave the Kuat system for some time lest it was a business requirement."

Green eyes drifted upwards to [member="Gerion Ardik"], "Besides, I find talking over a meal to be much more productive and pleasant."

[member="Lorelei Darke"]

Brunswick. There was a joke that had unfortunately fallen out of style with the passage of time, but it still tickled the Umbaran's amusement. Senator Brunswick, who had bravely attempted to sway the minds of Sith-aligned Verpine at Roche, then equally as bravely attempted to get the Omega Protectorate to back some coup (or something like that), and then finally channeled his unrivaled bravery into leaping from his senate pod to his death inside the senate building. Gerion had witnessed that on live broadcast. He imagined Brunswick had been scraped from the floor with the same amount of bravery.

"An undercover Sith?" Gerion chortled. How ridiculous. "Hmph. Governments will turn to internal affairs for a witch-hunt when they can't fix their problems abroad. It's the clamor before the collapse."

Speaking of failed governments, was this what Atrisians ate? No wonder their Empire capitulated to the Fringe Lords. He thumbed through the menu leisurely, attempting to find something to suit his appetite. Along the way he happened to catch the good Queen's eyes.

"I believe most of my colleagues prefer the solitude of an empty meeting room. This is a welcome change of pace."

"I find traditional meetings within traditional meeting rooms stifle the collective thought process. There's only so much mental free range within an enclosed box. The cyclical draining of subconscious energy from one person to the next - you can't create great ideas on intellectual refuse."

Seafood. Seafood. Raw seafood. Oh - red meat. Perfect.

"I am happy to be on the forefront of pace-changing, Mr. Ardik. Innovation is quite exhilarating. Maybe I'll start a new trend, and then one day I'll do it again by returning to the enclosed box."

A waiter arrived and introduced himself before bringing up a small menu, "Your beverage selection for the evening."

"Your best red vintage. Dry," Lorelei answered without bothering to look and set her own menu down on the table.

"And for you, Sir?"

[member="Gerion Ardik"]

[member="Lorelei Darke"]

Gerion huffed lightly. Some of his best ideas had been formed in an enclosed box. Or maybe they weren't really his best ideas. Perhaps the ideas he had in the past were actually just a fraction of what he was capable of, and he just failed to reach his true potential because he went to meetings instead of taking people out to dinner every time they wanted to eke out something. He would never truly know. Wonderful coworkers the people in the Tion Hegemony were, he really didn't want to eat with all of them. Sasha probably chewed with her mouth open, Starchaser and Irani would bring whores to the table, Hion... Hion was a Herglic, and Gerion distinctly recalled how disgusting it was to watch him eat. That and the clumsy beast had spilled wine on him once.

"Quite the visionary you are, your majesty. I'm impressed."

A server approached. Usually they introduced themselves, but this was the sort of establishment that knew its patrons were too snobbish to care. Gerion selected his go-to vintage from the menu, and the waiter dismissed himself to go conjure it up.

"Though, speaking of innovation," Gerion began, segueing into what would probably be a sales pitch. "You'll be happy to know Hegemonic Automaton finished configuring several factories towards the construction of super computers, the battle analysis among them. If you're inclined to use them, they'll be ready for shipment fairly sooner than expected."

This elicited a chuckle from the Queen of Kuat.

"To business it is then. These Battle Analysis computers - what results have you to report on live field testing? We've used our own proprietary models in our warships, and while I can attest to their effectiveness against the blithering products of Rendili, it's not a technology we've spent a great deal of time researching specifically."

Quality, prestige, innovation, and an unmatched standard of business was what set the two competitor companies apart. Rendili was but a minnow in the great sea of commerce that the shark KDY swam in, and only just beginning to understand the treacherous waters within which it had chosen. KDY was lethally prepared to take out its competition, a fin at a time if needs be, in order to see its continued growth and prosperity. This included incorporating all the latest tech available - Lorelei was curious to see if Hegemonic was truly able to provide.

[member="Gerion Ardik"]

[member="Lorelei Darke"]

Gerion snickered lightly. Blithering products of Rendili? He doubted there was a better way to describe them. Finally, someone with an equal disdain for corporate upstarts who thought they ran the galaxy and the vocabulary to back it up. "I apologize if that was direct. I wouldn't want to bore you with small-talk." The disparity between Rendili and Kuat made for some interesting observations. Kuat parleyed with the One Sith when they arrived. Rendili fought them tooth and nail. Both planets ended up under the rule of the Sith, but Rendili was far worse off. The price of bravado at its finest.

"Not many would." He continued speaking. "Most of the experts we approached to head the project considered it a dead-end technology, considering past failures. Our field tests indicate otherwise. We placed a prototype computer with a planetary defense fleet near Kubundi- they'd been suffering from pirate attacks for some time and their naval leadership proved inept in combating them. Initial trials showed an accurate prediction rate of pirate movements during skirmishes of about 51%, if I recall correctly."

"But these pirates were very specific in their strategies. We took some samples from previous battles and installed them into the computer so it would have background intelligence to draw upon. The accurate prediction rate rose to 73%. There are no more pirates left around the Kubundi system, I'm pleased to say."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom