Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Treasure Hunt: Chapter I

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Well, she had his attention. Now she could only pray to capitalize, quite literally. Despite his initial confusion and apathy, the blonde was so far undeterred.

"My name is Malin," the woman said, raising her voice just enough to be heard above the din. She brought the weathered book to rest in front of her casually, delicately clasped between both hands, presenting herself with a grace that was quite contrary to the general behavior on the premises--or much of anywhere these days, for that matter. "I'm here to bring you good news," she declared almost cryptically at first. But her objective would soon be made clear as she claimed the remaining seat next to the man. "I want to tell you about a happiness money cannot buy."

She supposed she should have been more nervous to address this man and the group at the table in this fashion, uninvited. But Malin had few reservations these days. There was little else she lived for now. Besides, she had made her living as a Corellian cop in a previous life--a job which never lent itself to timidity. Malin placed the book in her lap and offered her hand to shake. "Will you take the time to listen to me, sir? I promise you they are the most important words you will ever hear."

[member="Davik Tren"], [member="Kohai Drenn"], [member="Robb Killian"]

Davik Tren

The Friendly Fiend
"Will you take the time to listen to me, sir? I promise you they are the most important words you will ever hear."

He highly doubted that, the most important words he supposed he could hear at the moment were exclamations of disbelief as he won the pot! Unfortunately, the game still went on as his cards shifted their numbers yet again. He had gone from a relatively poor position to a rather well off spot, and he considered his options. Of course this was a tad difficult due to the insistent voice of the book toting preacher.

"If it gets you off of my back quicker, then let me hear 'em."

In preparation for the long onslaught of speech that he was undoubtedly about to endure, the spacer flipped the cards in between his fingers. The other betters at the table were relatively uninterested in the newcomer, as it seemed as though he had taken on the burden of whatever garbage she was about to spew into any ear that would listen. She was attractive, no doubt, but Davik certainly was not the type to go after the preachy kind that spoke of words of great importance and salvation...

[member="Malin Spritejägare"]

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
In a way, she was off-put by his apathetic response, lack of reciprocation in offering her hand. However, it was nothing unusual to her, and the fact that he even gave her a chance to impart her cherished knowledge upon him was fulfilling enough. "Thank you." Malin offered as warm a smile as she could muster. "Your cooperation means so much to me.

"So I want to share some words of joy with you..." The woman flipped through the tattered pages of the good book, given to her by some old preacher of sorts who had abandoned it after witnessing the tragedy at Corellia. Malin, just as shocked and hopeless as he, neglected to read it for several months afterwards, although she just could not get rid of the old binding for some reason despite her resistance to its religious contents. Life was bad. But she eventually did pick up the book after being awakened from a drunken coma in nothing but her underwear. And so she encountered her words to the wise.

Happiness is fleeting, but joy everlasting
in the comfort of our assurance that we
cannot be overcome, even in the final
days, with the Force on our side. For
there is no victory in our personal gain,
which lasts as but a breath from the
lungs, but from our lovingkindness
towards others for the sake of all living
souls willing to hear.

"I have been in this place where you are, good friend," she continued in her own words. "Tell me: Would you feel satisfied with your life's story if it were to end tonight?"

[member="Davik Tren"]

"... I need to get off this rock, yesterday-like. I can pay you half upfront and half upon delivery, plus fifteen percent above the usual rate." He said.

Jekell took up his glass with his right hand, swirling the water within in easy circles as his target stared at him, puffing on his cigarra. With his left hand Jekell withdrew his blaster from its holster at his hip, letting it rest gently alongside his leg. He peered up at his quarry, the man appeared to be more at ease than when he'd arrived: the slump was gone from his shoulders and he sat easier in his seat. Jekell's helmet comm pinged twice, signaling that Watcher's Three and Four were in position and had eyes on.

Jekell raised his glass quickly in a silent toast, then placed his glass firmly against the tabletop. Time to play the part. "You've been a bad boy Edsy. You say you need yourself an exit, yeah? Of the quick and quiet variety, I'm guessing?" he said, his voice altered by his helmet's modulator. Jekell leveled a finger at Edsel. Just keep stalling..."The rates have gone up, Edsy. Quick and quiet t'aint so easy when Sith own the planet, or did you forget? That Sith presence in orbit makes smuggling a Jedi difficult, let alone a Jedi fugitive with a price on his head. That's the kind of risk that makes me and mine jumpy..." Jekell eased his blaster forward alongside his leg and took aim at Edsel, disguising his motions as best he could by leaning forward exaggeratedly. "...at least at regular plus fifteen." Jekell sat back again, releasing his glass to trace the edge of the table with his free hand. "Now, I could be persuaded to change my mind, and ignore that hefty price on your noggin, for an additional thirty-five percent on top of your fifteen, call it an even fifty on top. Two-thirds in advance, of course. Jedi rates, like I said."

Jekell's helmet pinged again, deeper now, the final confirmation. Vell and his teams were in their positions outside the club and at the rendezvous. Jekell reached out and flicked the rim of his glass with his right hand, sending fresh ripples through the water.

[member="Edsel Zahno"]

Karking Jedi rates? Edsel grit his teeth around his cigarra and slammed a fist on the tabletop. "Jedi rates, Sywar? After all we've accomplished together you throw 'Jedi rates' at me?" he said. The cyborg extended his outstretched hand slightly and reached out through the force. Tendrils of invisible energy shot out at Sywar's armored frame pushing him, hard, against the back of his seat. "I can't afford your 'Jedi rates' Sywar. A man on the run can only grab so much petty cash and maintain so much patience, you understand." Edsel tensed his fingers for a moment, pushing out again for emphasis. With his other hand he drew his blaster and leveled it on the table top, fixed on Sywar. "But I'm a fair man, Sywar, and I'm open to negotiations."

Edsel relented his invisible assault and relaxed a little in his seat, his blaster still trained on the man. The cyborg took a long drag from his cigarra before removing it from his mouth, cradling it between two of his free fingers. With the same hand, he took up his bottle once more and took a pull, he swallowed, and set it back down. "That being said. . ." Edsel scanned the bar beyond the shield to see if his antics had attracted any attention, and was relieved to find that if they had, no one seemed to care. Thank the void for scum and sound-proofing. ". . . I'd be open to discussing your old-friend rates. You know, the ones about fifteen percent below the standard?"

Beads of sweat formed on the nape of Edsel's brawny neck. Things were going south fast, he didn't like this. The cyborg could practically hear the seconds ticking away as death closed in. By now Bareesh's thugs had to have caught up with the mess he'd left in the tunnel, which would lead them here. He needed transport off Coruscant fast, and if Sywar wouldn't supply the means he would have to look elsewhere. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

[member="Jekell Killian"]

Davik Tren

The Friendly Fiend
Davik listened to the extended series of words, and it only related feelings of indoctrinated ignorance to him. This had not been the first time he had encountered someone of her nature, of course. Growing up in the slums of Coruscant brings many holy men and women who claim that their savior endeavors to make their lives easier, though most were simple extortionists attempting to gain a quick dime off the unwary destitute citizen. Seeing these preachers walk around with such ease in their eyes for the simple fact that most of them would be returning to a relatively comfortable life after their day of collecting had been finished left him with a bit of a sour taste in his mouth. At any rate, he showed little interest. He gave her an amused look as she seemed to indicate that his gambling was some sort of plague... Perhaps it was but it was one he enjoyed.

"You have been in my place before?.. Hell, why would someone leave such a good time?"

With that, he gave her a wink and picked his cards back up playing. It was rather amusing that she thought this was normal business for him. He would be ground up and mashed to bits before he ever became a drunkard who wasted his days gambling... No, far too much more going on in the galaxy for him to lose out that easily.

Suddenly he saw his opportunity. Either the Rodian was very brave or he was foolish, and had played out a hand that would hardly reach pure Sabacc. Having laid out a bit of a combo before this kind lady had taken the time to bring the word of whatever lord she represented, he now threw down three more cards.

"I believe that will be 100, friend..."

With an annoyed muttering, the Rodian shifted over the credit chits. It was this moment that he liked the best, though that might be a bit concerning.

[member="Malin Spritejägare"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom