Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duel Toss A Fist To Your Jedi

Calix of Thyrsus

C

y0ZHF35.png

div-goldiguess.png
The young Thyrsian liked the training rooms in the spires.

The panoramic view of the Galactic City was quite breathtaking, particularly in contrast to the boy's time with his master on the spartan colony world of Socorro. Coruscant was full of life and energy. While Socorro might be better for quiet meditation -- or just hosting Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire 's favorite pub, whichever the case may have been -- Coruscant was the boy's favorite place for fight club.

And if Echani had any religion at all, fight club was its holy scripture.

The round shape of the room, with its cathedral ceilings and high-arched pillars, made it ideal for the drawing of a traditional Echani duel circle. It was the very same as when he'd trained with Jand Talo Jand Talo in this very place.

Except today, he was not host to the Nagai. Instead, he hoped to challenge another. A master by the name of Noble.

...a relative of Valery Noble Valery Noble perhaps? If so, then the boy hoped that this Master Noble might be someone equally powerful. Though the boy still hoped to one day challenge Iris Arani Iris Arani 's former master as well.

Come to think of it, he hadn't fought Iris yet either. He should really make a list for this sort of thing.

Kahlil_Div2.png

This was an interesting development.

In his time back, Kahlil had gone through what information he could on the newer age of Jedi. How they were, what they were good at, what they needed to work on. All to figure out the different ways to help them and in turn, help his wife in her attempts to strengthen all of them. Sometimes he reached out on his own. Others, they reached out to him to ask for lessons.

He'd yet to be challenged to a duel, though.

So here he was. He kept the ever calm smile on his face as he approached the ring, glanced it over. Echani. Made sense. Calix had quite the connection to his people. Their respect for battle and honor. He did similarly have a respect for it himself. Raised as an Epicanthix, he once hated the violence his family instilled in him. But learning a different path, one that his father tried to stamp out no less, helped him to come to terms with what he learned all the same.

Hopefully it was a lesson he could help the young Padawan remember.

"Calix, right? What are the stipulations?"

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

At the core of Thyrsian identity was a belief that one could not know someone until they had fought them.

"I am Calix, son of Xiphos," the boy answered politely. It was more formal than his interactions with Jasper or Iris. Or even Julius, though when the two had first started out Calix had been a tad more respectfully to the Corellian drunk master.

Bowing to the master as he entered, the Echani's blue eyes were sizing up the man's every move. How he moved. The way in which he carried himself. Poised himself. The posture. The bearing.

Most of it was subconscious. The intuitive habits instilled in the Echani over the course of generations of cultural development.

"A traditional duel in the Echani style, in which one may submit or be pushed out of the circle," the afro-headed youth explained, motioning to the lines on the ground.

The Thyrsian style would have been similar, but in heavy armor and using weapons. After the last round with Jand, Calix had come to the belief that bare-handed dueling was likely to cause less grievous bodily harm.

Begrudgingly, and not that he'd ever admit to an Echani.

"The elder takes the nilo position," the boy remarked, indicating the area of the circle directly across from himself.

Adopting a loose stance, the youth prepared himself. "When you are ready, it is the elder's privilege to begin the match."

There were likely questions.

Such things were better discussed with one's hands than with the mouth.

...but such was also a very Echani way of thinking about it.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil nodded slowly, turning his gaze back to the ring. He did, however, raise a brow.

"Not Thyrsian?"

He'd even brought his lightsaber under the assumption that it would, indeed, be similar to the duel he'd learned Calix had with another of the warrior born Jedi. Grant it, he had no issue with the concept of just hand to hand. But everything had a lesson to learn. Most everything. And for a warrior to be on the front lines of war, the only lesson they learned was how to better kill and not feel anything for it.

Kahlil moved to where he was motioned to stand. Paused, just for a moment.

"What is the nilo position?"

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

"Not Thyrsian?"

He was familiar.

Good. That would speed things along. Or so he hoped. "I figured it would be polite to do introductions first," the boy remarked in answer. After all, a weapon could mute or mask what one was trying to convey. Unless one had a foundation for communication, Thyrsian duels could be a murmur rather than clear communication.

"Then move on to the Thyrsian dialect after we've become acquainted."

"What is the nilo position?"

At the question, the boy paused to illustrate, using his arms as he spoke to indicate the ground. "The four parts of the circle are nilo, xoni, kuo, and zupe. The elder starts in nilo and the junior starts in xoni," the boy explained, indicating the spots facing each other and the others adjacent to either side. "Advanced Echani will call the fight before it begins. Like 'you will lose in five moves, at zupe.'"

Certainly no small amount of ego in the example that he'd given.

All things being equal, Calix was estimating that he'd lose in two moves, at the point he was standing.

But winning was not the point. Instead, it was to observe and learn. One could learn a great deal about the Jedi by how they fought, but a great deal more by studying the way in which they moved.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Ahh. The positions of the circle. For a moment Kahlil was worried he was going to have to learn Echani martial arts in order to actually compete in the circle. .. Actually that might be a good idea, but not for right now. He wasn't here to learn, after all. Well, he was always learning, but he was hoping more to be the teacher. So he took his stance. Lifted his hands, took a calm breath. Epicanthix fighting emphasized beauty and strength, like all things. Fluid motion but strong, crushing results.

The Elder was to start the match, so he did.

He used nothing of the Force as he moved. He was quick like a stream regardless, and didn't hesitate to bring his fist down like a crashing wave even on the boy. Holding back was an insult, even if aggression wasn't his usual way to fight.

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

[ post theme ]​
Smooth.

Assured.

Experienced.

As the man stepped into the opening blow of their duel, the young Thyrsian was struck by the fact that the man was fluent in this form of communication. Whether many duels, a litany of battles survived, or else the result of many years of training, Master Noble stepped into the punch with an ease and familiarity that another might have demonstrated stepping into an old pair of slippers.

While the shift in his weight telegraphed the forward movement, the man was too fast for Calix to have dodged without using the Force -- a point of debate between the boy and Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun being whether it was ever honorable for an Echani to use the Force to predict their opponent.

Instead, the boy adopted a tactic used in Echani martial arts. Rather than dodging or blocking, the boy struck with a punch of his own. His aimed at the man's incoming arm, intended to knock it off target.

Calix hadn't enough power in his own arm to have deflected the man's blow. Instead, the boy leaned into the hit as it connected with his head.

Stars danced across his eyes, as the young Thyrsian was sent staggering backward, his feet nimbly dancing to the side as he skirted along the inside edge of the circle.

A bright smile was alight on his face as his vision cleared.

Master Noble was speaking his language.

Though Calix predicted the next move would end the match, he committed himself to it wholly. Pitching his full weight forward, the boy kicked up from the ground and twisted his body, attempting to land a whirlwind kick on the man.

Kahlil_Div2.png

One wasn't enough.

Which only showed that Calix truly was a warrior. For the briefest moment the calm exterior of the Master cracked into a grin. Approval, enjoyment. Because of Valery Noble Valery Noble he'd learned to enjoy a proper spar. Not one to inflict pain, but to perfect and train. He steadied himself, watching the Padawan as he stumbled back towards the edge. The challenge was to knock the other out, after all.

But his fighting style wasn't about aggression. And with Calix kicking off, it was a perfect time to show what he really did as a fighter. The kick came, and Kahlil moved with it. Brought an arm up to catch it in a block. Not a block, actually to catch the leg in his hand. Then the other to take hold of Calix's robe and simply move with the momentum to throw him from the ring.

Passive, yet strong.

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

Not the technique that he had predicted.

The end result was the same, but as the young Echani was thrown the afro-headed youth was presented by a conflicting style that left him confused.

Twisting to re-orient his body to the ground, the Thyrsian at last connected with the Force as he hit the ground using the Art of Movement to control his momentum and use it to prop himself back up on his feet.

The dark-skinned padawan flashed the man a large smile before he gave a bow toward the man. "I figured that would happen, but I wasn't expecting that technique you used for that throw," the young Echani chimed, as he straightened back up.

"It was like you switched languages on me mid-sentence," the Thyrsian remarked, as the smile lingered on his face. While being outclassed was not new for the padawan, being confused by an opponent was a different challenge in its own mind.

The punch had been aggressive and unrestrained.

The throw had been a redirection technique.

Which did the man favor? Or was he fluent in several languages?

"I'd definitely want to spar with you a few more times before we did anything with weapons," the boy added, thinking aloud.

Kahlil_Div2.png

"Epicathix fighting is never just one style. Much like our culture we take everything we've beaten into our own. Which sounds a bit more brutal than it really is." For some of it anyway. He wouldn't deny his people's more bloodied past, but their appreciation of art and culture was never anything truly dark. He smiled, though. Let out a chuckle.

"A different language, though? You're certainly a warrior at heart. How have you been feeling?" And like that he went into a completely different subject. A brief wave of concern flashed in his eyes as he watched the boy, something he pushed back though. There was nothing more disrespectful to a warrior than assuming they couldn't handle the burden war brought.

Even if they were still a child.

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

"Take everything into your own..." the Thyrsian mused aloud, actually thinking about what Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble said.

Yes, thinking.

He was capable of it. Just not often.

"That seems like it would be difficult," the boy reasoned aloud, glancing back up with his luminous blue eyes. "To be able to discern that which would be a benefit and not dilute or replace an aspect of your culture that was a strength for something that might prove a tactical or strategic error later."

Still, the man's words illuminated what the boy had already surprised. The man didn't use one style, he weaved styles together. That made Master Noble a very challenging opponent, because Calix would have to familiarize himself with not just the way that the man carried himself, but the breadth of his skill.

The usual tells would be ineffective, as the man could just as quickly change his body language.

"Echani do not change tradition. They merely assert themselves as superior to any unable to defeat them -- and then they'll probably still run their mouths about those they haven't beaten," the boy remarked, reasoning aloud why Echani martial arts didn't take the same philosophy.

"And then there's Thyrsians, who just want to be superior to the Echani," he added, with another smile.

"How have you been feeling?"

The boy just blinked. His head tilted to one side.

If Kahlil looked closely enough, he could probably see smoke coming from the afro-headed youth's ears as the Thyrsian tried to follow the jump in the conversation.

"Fine?" the boy offered when he spoke again, blinking before he added, "I mean, I just got punched in the head, but I enjoyed that."

Literal Echani was being literal.

"Well, not, like enjoyed. I don't go asking for people to punch me in the head..." Calix began, hearing his own words and realizing what he said was not what he'd meant to convey.

Except, maybe it was?

"Well, actually, I do ask people to punch me. I mean, I challenged you and Jand and that old tea hermit to a duel. But, I mean... you know what I mean?"

Yes? Maybe?

Probably not.

The boy's head bobbed from side to side for a moment, then a goofy grin appeared as he gave a bit of a laugh.

"Uh, I'm better at fists than words," the boy offered finally.

Kahlil_Div2.png

"What is strong and beautiful is my culture. It matters not where it came from. All things we accept are us." It was probably harder to understand from the outside, but it made sense to him. And he was proud of it. He listened for the most part as Calix explained, but once he asked his question, it seemed the boy was completely thrown off game. Kahlil blinked slowly before lifting his hands, giving an apologetic smile.

"I get that. I used to be better with.. Uh. Not words." Alchemy and Necromancy seemed like a poor choice to tell a Padawan. "But- anyway. Yeah. talking is difficult, yes. Would you rather go again?"

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

"What is strong and beautiful is my culture. It matters not where it came from. All things we accept are us."

The afro-headed boy's head tilted to the other side, as his blue eyes just stared blankly at the man.

These were words. Good words. Very Jedi words.

...and Calix had no idea what he'd just said. Which made sense. He was a Jedi Master. Calix understood very little of what Jedi Masters said.

That was probably one reason he liked Master Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire . The Corellian was a man of few words, many drinks, and even more bar fights.

"But- anyway. Yeah. talking is difficult, yes. Would you..."

With a sudden burst of energy, the young Thyrsian was back at his spot in the dueling circle before Master Noble could finish his question.

Giving a bow to the man, the boy adopted the same Echani opening stance as earlier.

He did not expect the outcome of this duel to be any different from the first, but it would be interesting to watch Master Noble's body language for the transitions and changes. Try to discern what the subtle tells may be for when the man altered his approach.

There were certain to be other opponents with similar strategies to battle. Understanding would make Calix a more effective Jedi Guardian in the future.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil let out a chuckle. No verbal response, just snapping to attention and moving into position to start the next round. Ever the warrior. He followed suit though, taking his own position, lifting his hands up in a far more neutral stance. He had size and age, for sure. But there was only so much more he could show Calix before all his tricks were out in the open. He didn't move, just watched, studied. Waited.

"We're going to change it up, if you'd like. As you say, I can beat you in two. So use the Force. I want to see all your capabilities, not just as an Echani."

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

"We're going to change it up, if you'd like."

The Thyrsian just blinked.

Hadn't they just established that Echani do not change tradition?

...plus, Calix was always the junior in duels. He actually didn't know how to do an opening move. That was a lot of pressure.

"I want to see all your capabilities, not just as an Echani."

The Thyrsian's head went back, his eyes wide. In part, it was surprise. He'd anticipated that Master Noble might invite Calix to open the duel, but the request to use the Force was unexpected.

And there was a small amount of fear at the suggestion as well.

Swaying from side to side, the boy's stance loosened up as he seemed to debate how to respond. "Uh, Master?" the afro-headed youth uttered finally, his eyes darting away as he said, "I can... get a little carried away with the Force."

If Master Noble expected the boy to come at him with no restraint, that might not end well. For Calix anyway. "At Beltrix, Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el had to keep me, uh... grounded," the teen added sheepishly, his blue eyes at last glancing back up at the man to see his reaction.

Would he think less of Calix?

It was a strange Jedi who was afraid of the Force, but Calix's martial arts -- not to mention his power armor -- tended to carry him through without having to rely too heavily on the Force.

Calix of Thyrsus

C

"I know."

Oh.

The Thyrsian just blinked. His dark skin took on a faint blush of color as it was embarrassing to think that his hot-headedness was a topic of discussion.

But, Calix didn't sense an intent to embarrass. Rather, the offer seemed genuine.

Straightening up, the afro-headed youth gave another bow toward the master. Then, as he came up from the motion, the youth stepped back and adopted the familiar opening stance of the Echani style.

Closing his eyes, the boy drew in a breath through his nose.

Breathe in.

He felt the Force move, as though shrugging off fetters as he opened his body to the spirit around him. His emotions were waiting there, hidden just beneath the surface. Anxious. Eager. Afraid. Excited.

Very strong emotions.

Breathe out.

The youth sprang forward, coming at the man with straight arm jab from the left. He was careful to put his weight on the left leg, telegraphing an intent to commit to the strike.

It was a feint.

The Force surged through him, as the boy combined his actions with a burst of Force Speed. Dancing with the grace of a practiced shockboxer, the boy switched his footing as he changed the angle of attack, coming up from the ground with an uppercut right.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil kept his stance, kept his eyes focused. His smile calm. He could feel it around them as Calix's attention shifted to pulling the Force. The emotions that flooded his mind. From an outsiders perspective, he was doing the one thing a Jedi should never do. Feel. But the Master stayed calm regardless, saw no reason to stop even as fear and excitement thrummed in the air. Mostly because it made Calix easier to read.

"Feint. Uppercut."

He called them out, even as Calix quickened his step with the Force. His body shifted, seemingly barely an effort as he turned from the punch. Kahlil had likewise dipped into the Force, much more subtly. Had to. Not just to dodge the punch, but to goad Calix on. See with his own eyes just how uncontrolled the Padawan could get. He didn't strike back, didn't move from where he was. Invited Calix to keep swinging with the ever calm smile.

He needed to know how far Calix could slip if he was going to help stop it.

Calix of Thyrsus

Calix of Thyrsus

C

Swing and a miss.

The boy gave a half-hearted laugh. This was a friendly sparring match. No need to be upset.

The man didn't come at him, instead, he seemed to be baiting the boy. A twinge of disappointment planted itself in the boy, sparking something that Calix wasn't even conscious of but would be all too familiar to Kahlil.

The Dark Side of the Force.

As Calix swung and missed, the disappointment turned to frustration. The smoldering embers of the Dark Side fed on his emotions, sparks slowly growing into flames. He couldn't even land a hit on the man. Was Calix that weak?

Frustration turned to anger.

The boy swung again, finding only air.

The anger, which had been focused at himself, turned outward.

An explosive sigh. Calix gave voice to his anger.

And the fire inside just blossomed.

Instead of striking out with a strike, a swell of the Dark Side moved as Calix unleashed a Force Push that was wild and untamed.

His posture changed.

Always before, some part of Calix had been holding back. A hesitation. Reluctance, because deep down the Thyrsian didn't want to hurt someone. Even accidentally.

That regard was cast aside. Replaced by something malevolent.

As he came at the man again, the boy's eyes shone bright yellow.

Kahlil_Div2.png

Kahlil didn't stop swaying, weaving through the strikes. Letting Calix dive deeper and deeper into his emotions. The further he went, the harder it seemed for him to keep those from affecting him. No, they were always affecting him. Dragging him deeper and deeper into the embrace of the dark until-

He moved from his spot, finally. Not by choice. He hadn't expected what came next. Thrown from his feet, he barely could recover himself by twisting and landing back on his feet. But this time he raised a hand. Brought the Force to try and catch complete hold of Calix. Keep him from moving, keep him from fighting.

"Calix. Calm down. Breath."

Calix of Thyrsus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom