Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private To Touch a Life

176-1765848_star-wars-wallpaper-coruscant.jpg

Tags: De'nath Amur

The city sounds were not hindered by the fall of evening. It was one of the things Ripley had always loved about Coruscant- no matter the time, there was always something going on. As she made her way through the lower levels, she wondered if she'd be able to find this kid. Her contact had said he was hanging out in one of the cafes, poking around for information on any stray Jedi. It didn't surprise her- many of the younger generation were turned off by orders, preferring training one on one. She had been no different until she realized what separated the New Jedi from the others. While she didn't plan to recruit him, maybe she could offer the guidance he was seeking.

A chime marked her entry to the establishment, as she ordered tea from the counter and found a seat. She removed her holopad from her satchel and went to studying, though every couple of minutes her eyes scanned the area for a boy matching the description she was given.

De'nath Amur

D
Ripley Kühn Ripley Kühn

“Need anything else, sweetheart?”

The waitress called over from the counter, absent-mindedly jotting down the boy’s tab. The cafe was calming down from the rush of the afternoon, with only a handful of patrons seated around the building - an eye of the storm that would soon subside into a flurry of new customers barging in. De’nath was content to leave before the cafe was crowded to the roof with the...folks that late-night Coruscant was so known for. He gave a quick murmur of “No thanks, just coffee,” before turning back to stare at the stone texture of his table counter.

Amur was a week into his stay on the planet, and he quickly acclimated to the night life, prowling the streets to hunt down thugs and hone his skills. It was an aimless way of living, and one a bit too dangerous for his liking - but something within him was called to it. Whether it was a grudge, his conscience coming to bite him, or something else - he looked upon such vigilantism as a kind of duty.

Still, he felt lost. Adrift. Confused. There was so much more he had to understand - but he couldn’t seek it out. He didn’t know where to look.

The one place he wouldn’t dare find himself in would be the monolithic organizations the Jedi had established throughout the galaxy. His old mentor had instilled this in him - he had left his own order, exiled himself to the boy’s home planet of Denon. He called his peers hypocrites, who betrayed their own code in a narrow, ideological possession. When he died, and De’nath began his search for answers, the words of his mentor had been buried in his mind - no orders, no cults, no dogmatism. But what that left him, he was unsure of. And he had sent the word out, looking for potential teachers and guides, in hopes of discovering such.

The waitress whisked over and placed the cup in front of him, the boy giving a quick smile and a nod before turning his head back down to the table - left back to the murmurs and clangs of the customers around him. The cafe during the early evening seemed to be one of the only safe harbors from the bustling frivolity of Coruscant. It was rare to get moments of quiet, and while he was used to the clamor of city streets, he made sure to cherish such an ephemeral opportunity.

But then he heard the chime of the door, and a woman walk in. At first, he thought his brief moment of peace had ended early, swept away by an incoming hoard of new patrons - but as the quiet pressed on, and as he witnessed her scan around the room, he sensed she was more than just another customer. Part of him urged that he shouldn’t stick around to see if his intuitions were right, and he quickly downed his cup of coffee before moving to stand up. Yet, another part felt that the answers he had been searching for might just be found by waiting.

She tried to think of anything to say as she watched him. Though she had learned the telltale signs of a person on the streets, she couldn't quite peg this figure, making her approach uncertain. Her go-to zeltron charm seemed inappropriate given the circumstances, but she was at a loss for another angle. It almost felt like meddling, tracking him down like this. She once again wondered if she should leave, though her doubt was interrupted as he rose to stand. It was now or never.

The knight quickly stood, the data pad being pushed being tucked haphazardly into the satchel once more. She made a beeline over to him, catching him as he began to walk away.

"De'nath? Hey, uh..." she started, still unsure of how to continue. "This might be weird, but I heard you were looking for a Jedi. I guess I found you instead."

A quiet chuckle at her own bad joke escaped her, as her hand went to the back of her head.

"I'm Knight Kuhn, but you can call me Ripley. I'm with the New Jedi Order, but this is uh, unofficial. My contact let me know you were down here, and I dunno, something told me we needed to talk."

The zeltron paused a moment and gestured to the table he had been sitting at before taking a seat herself.

"So tell me, how can I help?"

De'nath Amur

D
Ripley Kühn Ripley Kühn

De’nath stumbled back as the woman swept up to him, partially stupefied. In his hurry to leave, his mind had dragged itself away from his surroundings. He cursed himself silently for not paying more attention, but as he began to apologize, her notice that he had gotten his memo threw him back down to his seat. He had begun to think that his stay on the planet would be less than efficacious, his messages falling into the sea of noise that perpetually fills the streets of Coruscant. To be dependent on hearsay was the most frustrating part of his search; he could think of nothing more tedious than separating the rumors and myths from the genuine leads.

“A Jedi? Oh, I thought my luck had worn out!” he remarked, sliding his cup to the side and giving a sheepish grin. “I hope it wasn’t too much of a pain trying to find me. I’m surprised you didn’t think it was a waste of time - wouldn’t blame you if you did. You’ve got the patience of a Jedi, that’s for sure.”

De’nath cleared his throat, and looked back down at the table for a moment, attempting to organize his thoughts. For all this searching, he had never fully formulated what to say. It was almost surreal for him, to come so close to the answers he sought. He had been more engrossed in the journey itself than in any foreseeable destination.

“Well...I’m looking for a teacher. Someone to show me the way forward, continue my training. I thought if there’s anywhere I could find a mentor, it’d be here. Since my mast--”

Amur stopped himself for a brief moment and looked up. He urged himself in the back of his mind to take caution in divulging unnecessary information - and yet, he sensed in the woman a kind of kinship that he didn’t quite comprehend. As if she would connect with his words.

“Uh...since my master had died, I’ve been...lost, I guess. I didn’t have anything to go on. I’ve just been wandering, trying to find out the next step. The next part of my path. I tried staying away from Coruscant for as long as I could - too easy to get lost in the crowd, and who knows if anything useful could come from aimlessly roaming around on the streets. But, uh...something told me that this is where I had to go.”

Amur leaned back in his seat, giving a small sigh. He had hoped that this would amount to something, that this week of wandering wouldn’t be another waste of time. But something within had told him that his search was closer to the end than he would have himself believe.

Ripley listened intensely as the boy spoke, not missing a word. She remembered her own meeting like this, not so long ago, though it seemed a lifetime now. She wondered if Kahne had felt the same pull she did now, guided by the force. He had been solely responsible for her finding her path again, and she was forever grateful. She looked upon Da'noth, his youth apparent. When he mentioned his master, a frown crossed her face. She could sense there was more, but she did not press- if and when he wanted to share, he would. As he finished, the waitress brought a refill for her tea. Ripley smiled and nodded at the woman before taking a sip, considering her words.

"I'm glad I found you- though it wasn't hard. I'm a shadow, I do work for the Alliance Intelligence Agency, so I have lots of ears."

She shrugged, indifferent. To others it often sounded impressive- to her, knowing things had always been a way of life. It kept her alive.

"I'm sorry to hear about your master, kid. It's a special bond, and I know first hand how hard it can be when it's severed."

Silence fell over the pair as she reflected. Though she had left her first willingly, it wasn't any easier to come to terms with. For years he had been the only family she knew, and the longing she felt for his presence stayed with her to this day.

"I'm not a lot, only okay with a lightsaber, and I guess I have a pretty specific skill set- but I'm willing to help in any way I can." A shy smile flickered across her face. "If you'd like, of course. Can you tell me about your training? What did you learn before... you came here?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom