Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Shoot An Arrow (Seth and Yuroic)

Seth was quietly pacing. Trying to gather his thoughts. Quite honestly he was a bit bored. Ready to learn something new. Force powers was what first came to his mind. He always enjoyed broadening his range of techniques, and working on his developed skills within the force. It came more naturally to him then most physical skills. However, something was telling him that was not where to focus his training.

Lightsaber combat perhaps? Sure.. Seth was still in need of improving his bladework. That or anything which could bolster his physique or maneuvering would be handy for him. Seth was inspired by his mentor to further those skills. He still had the full intention to beat him in a sparring session sometime. Even if it was just once. It gave him a goal to endlessly improve himself. For he knew his mentor was constantly learning, evolving, and improving his own skills.

Oddly, Seth still wasn't sure that was the area where he should be training. He walked along and began to pass by some guards. Hmm.. Blasters... Ranged weapons. Thinking about it Seth didn't really have much experienced handling ranged weaponry. It was an area in his arsenal that was lacking. Sure.. He had meditation stones. With the force he could get those whipping at some pretty good speeds. Though stones could only do so much, and again.. It was tied to his force abilities. Seth only knew of one rational solution to this dillema. He went on to seek out his mentor Master [member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

Yuroic was spending his days focused on training his students and ensuring that things were going well in the Temple. There was much exploring of the Galaxy he wanted to do eventually, but he wasn't sure how he wanted to get there, to do the exploration while having so many commitments to the Order and his growing family. It was odd for him to have a family, so much had changed from his small beginnings. Odd to feel like he had accomplished so much. Stretching his arms and body, he looked around, it was the ending of another mornings workout. He was outside of the Temple in a private training area he had created. Scattered around were training dummies, so that moved to make it more difficult for him to shoot. Other items were wooden weapons and several normal bows. His personal bow was in his apartment at the temple, here he didn't need it and he rather keep it safe.

Using the Force, he pulled a bow into his hand and grabbed several arrows in his other. Firing multiple shots, he hit several targets at a far distance. However, Yuroic tutted, he needed to be firing faster. His goal was to be able to fire four arrows at a time, be accurate and deal deadly blows with each arrow. However, he needed to be faster on the draw, otherwise it left him too open. It was practice that was all he needed but he would get there someday. Sensing movement, Yuroic waited a moment and could tell who was approaching. He smiled warmly but didn't turn to face his Padawan. "Hey, Seth. What brings you out here? Thought of what you wish to learn today?" Yuroic asked, he could tell there was thinking going on in Seth's mind, he didn't go in deeper to find out what was being thought about but he could feel it.

[member="Seth Brackson"]

Seth looked down the range to study his mentor's work. Then after a moment turned his attention back to Yuroic. While he nodded his head. "I was thinking. Handling my lightsaber, improving my physique, and learning new force techniques are all nice skills. Though what I am lacking in.. Is the skills to shoot something. I believe that is the area I wish to begin working on." Seth expressed to his mentor. Before he looked back down the range. "How many years of practice did it take you to reach the level you are at with that bow?" He asked in a curious tone of voice.

There was something about a bow and arrow. Seth took a liking to. In the same way he preferred to avoid armor. It felt like a more natural, or at least fascinating weapon in comparison to a blaster. One which Seth would be more keen to learn about.

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

Seemed an interesting skill that Seth wished to learn. He was welcoming to teaching Seth what he wanted to learn, as long as Yuroic knew he was ready to learn it, boy was far from ready to learn Dark Side powers. However, Yuroic cocked his head and shrugged. "Most Jedi don't need to know how to use ranged weapons like blasters and such. Sticking with learning how to fight with a Lightsaber and melee based weapons, some think a blaster isn't a weapon of skill but to use one well can be in my mind. To be a skilled archer can take years, it took me a year to be competent with one then another four years to just get to the level of archery that I am at. Practising everyday during those years." His archery skills started as a need to survive, stuck on an abandoned world, Yuroic had to weapons to hunt. Able to forge a bow, he finally could hunt animals with it, though for several months his aim was not that good.

Lowering the bow, Yuroic faced Seth. "Why the interest in ranged weapons? How do you think it will benefit you over a Lightsaber or the Force?" Yuroic asked as he was curious about Seth's motivations for learning this skill over issues in teaching it. Grabbing a second bow, Yuroic waited for Seth's answer before deciding whether or not to hand the bow over to his Padawan.

[member="Seth Brackson"]

Seth thought about it for a bit. "I guess there is a couple of reasons. While the force is broader in what it can be used for, and can accomplish most tasks if you know the skills. There is appropriate times to use the force, and appropriate times to rely on other tools. I never know when I might find myself in a position I am trying to supress my force signature. That or it might be a matter of whether or not the situation would be appropriate to use the force within.

A lightsaber is useful for close range engagements, and with some practice you can extend the range of a lightsaber to better suit ranged tasks. Doing so potentially limits your options should the fight transition to a closer distance. Especially, if you misread an opponents maneuvering. While my shoto does counter some of that imbalance. I would rather not always have to lean on my lightsaber for my ranged weaponry solution." Seth expressed calmly. "I remember in our first lightsaber training lesson. You told me never to assume I knew everything the other person might be capable of. Even when I had been engaged with them for awhile. Well, that works two ways, and the more skills I acquire the more options I have at my disposal." He said while he thought some more.

"I guess finally. It is more than just a tool. It is also a way of living. A means to survive for some people." Seth said. "I suppose I wish to connect to the weapon. Do my best to understand it. Just as much as I wish to wield it." Seth concluded while he studied the item Yuroic was holding. Seth has spent some time surviving himself. Though his survival tool had been the art of bargaining, sneaking (not always too succesfully) and conning. Up until Yuroic had reached out to him. Of course Seth was only now reviwing this in his mind. The truth none the less was present in some context. It was also why Seth had occasionally got his hands onto a blaster, and had an idea how unnatural a blaster felt to him when wielding them. Whether a bow would turn out any differently. Seth had no idea.

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

It was all sensible reasons to learn how to fight with a bow, Yuroic could respect the decision and the fact that Seth had clearly put thought into what he wanted to learn. "Well, why do you want to learn with a bow? A blaster would be easier and take less time to learn how to use it well. Still require some skill just not the level one needs to be a skilled archer. Also, the bow is limited in range, firepower and rate of fire. Can only shoot as fast as your arms let you. Also, very easy to not be accurate with one." Yuroic commented, he wasn't putting Seth of trying to use a bow but understand that there are shortcomings to being an archer like Yuroic, he wasn't invincible with one, just more interesting a target with it.

Holding the bow in a manner so that Seth could take it from him, Yuroic looked at the targets. With the Force he removed the arrows in them and around them and placed them back in the quivers on the ground. Turning to look at Seth, "now, you can practice, if you are still determined on bow as your weapon, with standing targets. No point teaching you to fight a moving target when you won't hit it bar pure luck. Take a few pulls of the drawstring, get a feel for how the bow works. Then take an arrow and fire it, see how well you aim." Yuroic leaned against a tree to watch Seth have his first try then go through the correct way to fire the bow.

[member="Seth Brackson"]

Seth took the bow into his hands and studied it. From design, to the weight and balance. To doing what Yuroic instructed by drawing the string back. Then carefully releasing it. Making sure not to fire it without an arrow being knocked first. It was a fair work out though Yuroic had put him the more rigorous strength regiments before. In fact before meeting Yuroic his strength had been almost laughable as did most of his physical traits. Except speed, well relative to a new player. To someone as skilled as Yuroic, his physical speed had been and still was highly outclassed. Luckily, Seth was also a quick study and quick to re-act and adapt. In time he would get to where he wanted.

"A blaster first off just doesn't feel natural to me. I have used one or two before. Not with great skill. Though something about it rubbed me the wrong way. A blaster pistol is not as accurate at long range without modification to the point it is almost a different weapon. Blaster rifles weigh more than I care to mess with, and are harder to conceal. While a bow is lighter, and I am sure if unstrung could be passed as a staff. In fact with the right durability and material it could possibly even double as a staff.

While the weakness of the strength required to wield it, the endurance to consistantly use it, and the speed being reliant upon your own arm speed. Is definitely a drawback. It also means that a bow is capable of training you in these areas all at once. Even if it is just gradual development of the mentioned skills. Adding in the fact you have to become precise with the weapon. It makes it a good challenge."

Seth finally after a few more draws and careful releases. Knocked an arrow and drew the bow back. Taking some time to adjust his stances and try and find his footing until it felt comfortable. Not sure necessarily the proper stance. He then tried to figure out the aim. Deciding the tip of the arrow made sense considering he never shot before. He went with that. He breathed, he shot.. And he quickly discovered bowstrings were spiteful entities when not properly respected.

First his ear was knicked. Causing him to flinch from the unexpected graze just enough his cheek was sliced. While his arrow went off towards the high right. From the way he could see as he furrowed his eyebrows and frowned. Then looked to Yuroic. "I'm pretty certain a lot of things went wrong." He stated in a monotone voice considering how obvious it was. Still.. Seth was now slightly more determined to figure this weapon out. Even if it was now slightly out of the stubborn thought that he wasn't about to quit so easily, just because it proved difficult. Which Yuroic did warn him about.

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

Seth's first attempt did not go well for him. He missed wildly and hurt himself as he fired. It was a common issue when first attempting to fire a bow. Moving in closer, Yuroic looked over his stance and the way he held his bow. "Hm. Now, you need to adjust your stance, be side on, harder to hit like when fighting. Keep your elbow high and keep your arm straight which is holding the bow." Yuroic stated, he demonstrated the position that Seth needed to get into the position. Yuroic then adjusted his elbow as he then pointed at the target.

"Draw the string back, breath slowly, when exhaling you fire. To track the arrow in this situation follow the arrowhead to the target. When targets are further away, you will need to adjust your aim. Aiming higher than the target but that needs you to understand arrow trajectory, wind and other variables. For now, focus on the target and fire." Yuroic stepped back to see how he does a second time around. Hopefully there would be some improvement, Yuroic was aiming for him not to injury himself this time around.

[member="Seth Brackson"]

Seth adjusted his footing like asked. Until his shoulders were alligned with the direction of the target. He positioned the bow like suggested. He lifted his elbow and straightened his arm. After he had the arrow knocked once more and drew back. Seth wasn't so much afraid of getting bit again by the string. It was mostly his fault when it happened. Though it would be a refreshing thing not to make a habit of it.

Seth's quick adjustment to the stance. Was credit to his ability to learn and adapt quickly. Though now came the part that would require some practice. Actually, aiming the arrow. Seth focused on the arrowhead and then the target and did his best to visualize where it would be directed. He breathed more slowly. Then upon one of his exhales he released the arrow. This time his arrow darted above the target once more. Though it was noticeably closer. Well, considering the last one shot off course wildly.

Seth furrowed his brow and knocked another arrow. Adjusting his aim trying his best to figure where in correlation to the last shot he had been aiming. When he felt he figured it out. He readjusted and took another shot following the same instructions. This time sinking the arrow top right corner of the target. So, three shots to even barely land an arrow on target. Well.. Seth was going to keep at this. Every time he sent an arrow down range. It was a gradual improvement. Sometimes he still went over the target, sometimes under the target. Though a few of the arrows he shot did find there way to what Seth was aiming for. In fact the longest streak he had was five arrows finding the target.

Well at least in the beggining. Seth also did his best to listen to Yuroic. Taking criticism as it was provided to him. Trying to adjust based on those responses. Shooting arrows was a relaxing form of training. Sure, it had work.. And a lot of skill in it. Which Seth was going to need practice to perfect. Though there was some sort of peaceful aspect to how it worked. When the time came Seth proceeded to collect the arrows.

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

Yuroic watched as Seth made progress. Nodding his head, Yuroic knew it would be tough for the kid to get better any time soon but being able to hit the target was something to be pleased with. "It will take time but you are getting better, so don't fear that you aren't good. If you keep practising everyday, here every morning like I do, then you will get better faster than you realise. In the future, you will train against moving targets and when I think you are ready, we could do some hunting of wild animals in the Shadowlands."

Hunting wasn't always pleasant, killing animals wasn't the nicest thing to do but Yuroic knew how to make use of all the animal and it was the ultimate test to be able to kill the animal without leaving it in agony. A clean kill as it is called. To do that then Yuroic would know that Seth was ready to use the bow in more combat based scenarios. "Combat fighting with a bow is different experience to hunting and just firing at targets. Hard to replicate all the issues with war but we will make sure that you get better with the bow so that you can use it effectively and efficiently." Yuroic informed Seth, patting his shoulders.

Stepping back, Yuroic watched as Seth continued to practice his bow.

[member="Seth Brackson"]

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

Seth nodded his head following along up until his mentor mentioned hunting. Killing animals. Seth took a pause at that. Seth loved animals for some reason. They were survivalists.. In a more deep sense of the term. Though there was also predators and prey, and the bow was a tool which was designed to be hunted with. It was pointless to learn a skill for a purpose and yet not be ready or willing to apply it to it's purpose. Seth eventually nodded his head. "Alright. I will be sure to train diligently." Seth expressed.

This was a deeper motivation now. Beyond his refusal to let the bow beat him. This was something he was passionate towards. Seth would not question himself when it came to killing. Though he was going to be karking sure he was capable of placing a blow that killed the creature. As he wasn't sure how well he would take it if he merely maimed the creature and left it in misery up until they could get it properly killed. Which meant training. Days upon days, with hours upon hours. Well.. Indefinitely now. If Yuroic was right, which often times he was.. Or he wouldn't of advised Seth on the matter if he was doubtful of his ability to accurately inform Seth, or.. At least Seth trusted that to be the case with him. Then like most trainings. Seth needed to be steadfast in his practices. Even when he felt like taking an easier day.. At the very least Archery and lightsaber training needed to be implemented in some manner now.

With that in mind. Seth turned back to the target. Placing that goal in his mind. While he took back to letting arrows down range. Trying to get the accuracy down, and then implement precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom