Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Become A Defender

Veino stepped outside the door and slumped against the wall beside it. He could still hear the delegations conversing with one another. Hopefully, they would continue to do that for some time. A long time. Or maybe they wouldn't. Maybe the negotiations would collapse quickly and the Order would have spent a great deal of credits they couldn't quite afford to lose like that. But now, his path diverged, hopefully to rejoin the others soon enough.

He set off walking down the streets, slipping between pedestrians and slow moving speeder traffic. Memories clogged these streets, and it was like walking through spiderwebs to brush past them all. He'd seen Roth kissing the one local girl on that corner, listened to Jeela rant to an in attentive audience about the dangers of isolationism on the one across the street, noticed both happening at the same time on another day, except Roth was kissing another girl while Jeela pointedly ignored her cousin's romantic ways. Bow girls had left him heart-broken not long after. Veino had been there for the sermon Jeela gave him about the dangers of loving too freely. It had been an awkward few days after that to be certain.

He paused, realizing where he was. His feet had found and automatically followed old routes set in memory to old haunts. This was a cantina, one which he had once believed to be a shady locale, full of criminals and always on the edge of a brawl. Now, he knew it was a fairly respectable business. Sure, the facade was a little weathered and needed some new paint, but nobody was ever killed inside, and certainly not more than one. He moved on, noticing other locales.

There, my sewer pipe he and his friends had always checked for corpses when they visited the city. Morbid, yes, but to be expected from teenagers learning about the seedier side of life to know how to fight it. No bodies had ever shown up, of course. Susefvi was calm under the combined protection of the Protectorate and Jensaarai. He wasn't quite sure how he had ever managed to fit through into the labyrinth of tunnels beneath though, The pipe seemed to have shrunk ten or twelve centimeters since he had last been here. He smiled sadly and moved on, passing the statue they always met once they completed their errands, now with a new graffiti stain that had yet to be cleaned off,

Then he paused next to a quiet side-street, surrounded by homes. It was out of his way now, but it was there, and down the road lay a spot he needed to visit. He turned and reluctantly walked down it. It was mostly empty and shaded. A few inhabitants worked in their lawn or rested on their doorstep. Veino smiled and waved at them as he passed. They all waved back, with a few offering greetings and food to him. He turned them all down, saying he had an appointment to keep.

Nostalgia flooded through him. This was home. This little, insignificant, backwater planet was where he belonged. Alderaan with the Order was a place to teach and learn a resting place, but his heart was here, Most of it anyways, He wasn't quite sure where the last part was, other than it was somewhere in the galaxy, traveling around. Eventually, he would have to take off the wanderer's boots, and he hoped it could be here. He wasn't entirely sure what'd he would do, but now was not the time for retirement plans. He had a galaxy and students to worry about.

His pace slowed as the ancient rhythm of the sea grew louder, beginning to pound through his bones. Just ahead, the road curved sharply to the left, and travelled along a small cliff that ran along the ocean. He could already feel the pounding on the rocks through his feet. His pulse quickened, and the roar of the blood in his ears rose to match, if not in tempo but in volume, the roar of the ocean ahead. He knew what lay around the curve. Pain. Suffering. Heartbreak. A chance of young love and happiness lost. But, he was here now, and he might as well face it. He wiped his hands on his coat and took the finals steps around the curve.

An old iron bench, weathered through years of users and storms sat before him, unassuming and humble before the outstretched ocean before them, slate gray to match the clouds, and clouds built up on the horizon. Memories stabbed him then and he stopped, staring at it, before moving forward robotically and then sinking into its left side.

The last rose from the ocean's depths and settled over him....

Veino sat, heart flittering, in the bench. There were many benches in the galaxy, and quite a few looked like this one, but this would always be The Bench. There was no other way he could think of it. His former Master had shown it to him early on when his master had been admitted to the Jensaarai council and needed to be at the main conclave. From here, just above the horizon, was a small black dot. It was where his biological family lived, and it helped with the homesickness he suffered from. Far to the right of that was the island where he loved and trained on. They weren't terribly far apart when viewed from here, but in reality, they were hundreds of kilometers apart. Yet, he could see them both from here. That same homesickness struck again, suddenly out of the blue. It had been around six years since he had see his family. They knew nothing of his travels. Perhaps he would visit them. Maybe do it now. He shook his head slightly. He couldn't, the homesickness subsided some, into a dull ache.

The bench had grown into a favorite of his, and he shared it with his friends. They often came here when they visited he city, to eat and talk, to watch the sea, or to meet one another in private. The others knew to keep it clear at times like that. Jeela had become especially fond of it in the final days, coming outside of sanctioned visit days, even. Not that the rule breaking bothered her or that she submitted to the consequences. The final time grew up from the ground and swallowed him where he sat.

--------
Several years before.....

Veino sat on one end of the bench, and Jeela the other. She was staring off into the difference, wearing the pinched frown she always wore when deep in thought, and Veino had found himself adopting on similar occasions. Her head thrust forward over her knees, which she had drawn up and hugged her arms around. Veino watched her quietly. It did not do to interrupt Jeela when she was like this. He'd done it before and always received a sharp jab to the shoulder and an angry glare. This time, he would wait. Then his mouth started moving.

"You're thinking about leaving,aren't you?" He regretted the words and clamped his mouth shut, bracing for the jab. It never came. She hadn't even registered that he had said anything. She might not have even heard him. She just kept staring out over the ocean, profile softly illuminated and shaded by the sun's rays. She was beautiful. Veino felt his face blush furiously at the thought and turned away to hide it, positively certain that he could see visible light coming off his face. With any other set of apprentices, he'd be concerned about them sensing his emotional state. Not with Jeela though. She had bpnever been good with reading other's emotions, either through the Force or through the innate talents and instincts that all humans had used. Veino found that odd, but then, she found his uncanny ability to read other's emotions through body language odd.

"No," Her reply was edged and almost aggressively adamant, completely unlike her normal softly polite voice that softened her often sharp and fiery words. Veino whipped his head around to see her. She still had not moved. "I am leaving. There is no longer a place for me on this world. They are complacent fools, and partners to those who terrorize across the galaxy."

"I'll come with you." Veino regretted the words, and then felt guilt prick him. He was one of her few friends. At this point, perhaps her only friend. Why would he regret traveling with her, righting wrongs, protecting the innocent, helping the weak,,and everything else they had talked about? She turned towards him, face softening slightly, and eyes red, presumably from crying. Sympathy pierced him, and he wished he could do something to comfort her. She shook her head, and Veino felt relief relax the tension in his muscles.

"No. I have no desire for you to share whatever fate my words and future actions will incur against me," She paused to take in deep, shaky breaths. "This is it. Farewell, friend, if I can still refer to you by that word after speaking such things against you mentor. Please, so not follow me. This way you will not be forced to lie to hide where I go." Words caught in Veino's throat, all desperate to get out but getting tangled up inside as she rose and lofted up a travel pack and began to walk away.

"But!" Veino was grasping for words, desperate for anything, knowing what to say, but being terrified to say it. She paused, and half turned.

"Yes?"

"I-" The words formed in his mouth. Love you. Tow small, easy words. So hard to say. "Iloveyou." He finally managed to blurt it out, face flaring crimson again. Emotions flickered across Jeela's face. He knew each one. Shock. Surprise. Confusion. Then pain and betrayal. His heart sank like a stone that he might toss in the ocean.

"Don't." Her voice was thick with emotion, more than any than he had heard from her before, and it was pain in the voice. Not joy or love as he might have wish. "Do not attempt to manipulate me in such a way. You're better than that." She tured away and started walking again. "Good bye." Veino's jaw dropped and he stood indignantly. He was not manipulating her. That had been entirely honest and not what he wanted to say. He no longer remembered what he wished to say before that, and he sat, watching her grow smaller as she neared the curve. He waved frantically.

"Good journeying then!" He yelled desperately now, trying to recover from the blunder, but she didn't look back. Didn't respond. He just stood there silently as she vanished from sight. He continued standing there until and older, honorary voice spoke up.

"It happens to all of us you know. We get left behind on a bench while our sweetheart cuts our heart out and leaves with it." Veino turned. An old man he vaguely knew stood leaning on a cane not far from him. The man gave him a comforting smile. "Tough luck, kid. Hopefully she comes back some day." He looked up to the sky, muttering something Veino couldn't quite hear. "Or, if she really matters, follow her." There was regret in the voice now too, and Veino knew there was an old story there. One he would probably never know. The old man tipped his hat to Veino and walked off. Veino sank back down into the bench, exhausted.

---------------

The Bench still hurt. Being here hurt. Yet, he knew that this was part of what made this place home. He had loved and lost here. That couldn't be said of any other planet that he could,think of. Bastion, maybe, but unlikely. Even now,,the feeling was a needle driven into his rib cage. He could destroy this bench easily enough. Nobody would know. If he was a Sith, he probably would have. But he wasn't, and he realized his had shapes who he was, and that both the fine parts and the bad parts of life were vital to him, both now and the future. Such was things in life, and those were what would need defending. This bench would be a testament to that. Not all pain was bad. Some of it was worthwhile.

But for now, he wanted no more of it, and walked back into the city, forcing himself to not look back. That chapter was closed.

He waved at the inhabitants of the road as he passed them again, and they waved back, completely unaware that he had just suffered some self-inflicted emotional trauma from a metal bench. He had no intentions of telling them though. Nor did they ask. He just kept walking now, pointedly ignoring the other memory laden landmarks he passed. There was not time for them anymore. Especially if he hoped to squeeze a visit with his family in somewhere. That could easily take a while, especially if he didn't want to tell them of all the harrowing escapades he'd gone through. No need to give them heart attacks.

He stopped one more time, looking up at his destination. Av's Speeder Rental. Another favorite from when he lived here. Partially because it was cheap and partially because the man inside was a bit of a mentor for non-Force problems. Love had been a primary one, as well as homesickness. He took a deep breath and stepped through the sliding door, pausing to let his eyes adjust.

"Veino! You're back again, eh?" The voice booked out from the counter ahead of him, and Veino grinned in relief. This was better. This was more like home. There were no dark memories here. Just good times. "How long he staying?" The question took him by surprise, and he shrugged, not entirely sure.

"Don't know. A couple days, a week, a month. Haven't decided yet." He walked up to the corner and rested his elbows atop it, looking around to see what had changed in the two years or so he had been gone. As far as he could tell, nothing. "But I do know my folks expect me at their place today." His folks. Not actually his biological parents, but how he referred to the Jensaarai. It was easier that way, especially since the Jensaarai were an urban legend on Susefvi. "I'll need a bike to get there in time for the meal they've been working on." The man nodded understandingly.

"Course, course. Just be sure to come back and visit with me once you finish there though." He moved out from behind the counter and ushered Veino out back to the motor pool, which was filled to the brim with all sorts of speeders. Old ones, new ones, ones left forgotten in the back and overgrown by weeds, and a few blues one that had been his favorite when he was younger because of their color. Veino stepped over to one of these blue ones and ran his hand along the door.

"This one still for rent?"

"Course it is. And you can have it on the house this time. Returning customer discount after all." The man smiled sadly, "It's good to see you young folks trickle back. If we keep losing you all, there won't be much of a world to live in." He deactivated the security system and stepped back, pulling the door open with a flourish. Veino stuttered several times, trying to argue to pay something, but the man held up a hand to stop him. "Just bring it back in one piece."

"Thank you," Veino finally managed to say as he climbed into the speeder and activated the engines. The man stepped back, waving.

"Don't worry about it. I was young and footloose once too. I remember those days." The man turned and ducked inside as a new customer entered and Veino rose up over the wall and pointed the nose inwards. He pushed the throttle forwards, and the speeder shot forwards.

Grassland rolled beneath him, a sea of endless fertile green, except the glints of sunlight off the sea far in the distance. Wind rushed through his hair and past his ears as he relaxed, finding his old posture and simply drinking in the smells and sounds of home. The cloud build up was beginning to get rather threatening though. He needed to get to the conclave before the storm broke. He pushed the throttle down all the way and the acceleration shoved him back in his seat. He brought the speeder up higher, only to drop back down as winds buffeted him back and forth. He was close now.

There was the stand of coniferous trees atop the hill. Veino slowed the speeder down, dropping farther to hug the ground.

A few more minutes cursing led him to a recess sun the hillside, hidden and cloaked by boulders scattered around. He slowed down significantly and drifted into the recess, ducking his head as big fat raindrops began to plop onto the ground. He stopped and slipped out of the speeder, hurrying all he way in until he reached the apex and clicked a hidden latch, reaching out with the Force to move the second set of tumblers on the lock, and the waiting for the guards inside to open the third.

The rock slid open revealing two armored Jensaarai Defenders, faces hidden by their masks. Their blank faces made them far more threatening than they would have been. Veino studied the armor, trying to place it with anyone he knew. No luck.

"I'm Veino G-" His voice was cut off when one spoke.

"You're back! Get on here, Veino! Vex will get your speeder. Is that the one you always used to borrow when we went into town?" The words came nonstop, hardly giving Veino room to breathe. He knew who this was now though. Ogreek Pewtoo. His companion, who had dashed out into the ever-in erasing rain storm formthe speeder would be Vex Nysill. Veino hurried inside as Vex returned, deftly maneuvering he speeder into the antechamber and then into a room for this very purpose.

"Yes, yes, I'm back Ogreek. Good to see you too, especially in that armor. Quite fetching on you. Does Sella think so too?" There was a playful lilt in Veino's voice, the somewhat snide and mocking, but still friendly tone of a guy picking fun at his best friend when he falls helplessly in love. Ogreek had used it on him on more than one occasion. This was the first time Veino had had the chance and confidence. Ogreek paused, and then laughed.

"No, she did not. She preferred Gelan's. Now they're married." Veino choked on the air he had been breathing. Those two had been younger than he was by a year or so.

"They're married? Already?" Ogreek laughed again and pounded Veino on the back, bending over to breathe better.

"No. I was messing with you. Made you think you were old. They still can't stand each other."

"That's what I thought they were like when I left." Veino glanced around at the tunnel as the door slid shut and locked itself behind them. "Aren't you supposed to be solemn and threatening, since you're on gate duty though? Especially with Vex as your partner?" Ogreek stiffened and returned to the security station, walking in an over exaggerated, mock march. Veino smiled, and nodded his head to Vex, who returned it.

"Welcome back Veino. Your scars tell me you've learned some lessons in your journeys. The parallel ones weren't accidental, and they don't look like lightsaber burns either." The older man tilted his head upwards towards the passage. "You know your way around." Veino nodded, and added a small bow.

"Thank you, Defender Vex, and yes, I learned more than a few lessons." He started up the tunnel, and then paused as Vex called up to him.

"When you have time, come to my chamber for a drink or two and share the lessons with me." Veino stopped, not believing his ears. Defender Vex, a living legend among the Jensaarai and terror of the younger apprentices for his harsh lessons, and had just invited him over for drinks and discussions of his experiences. That never happened.

"I will. It'll be an honor. Thank-" The man cut him off with a hand motion and Veino's mouth snapped shut. Vex waved him on, not looking anymore, and Veino hurried down the tunnel, running his hand along the smooth, sheer cut rock. He was home again. Now to see if it was still home.

Veino stopped at the first intersection to let a gaggle of apprentices run past, panting and sweating, being pushed onwards by a Defender in full armor running along behind them, not even sweating. That would be Defender Wexvil, the leader physical trainer and combat instructor. Those were unpleasant portions of the training regimen, to be sure, especially for those who weren't physically gifted as athletes. Weeks on weeks of everything hurting, especially after studying Rek'dul. There was a month or so within that time he wasn't sure he'd ever walk again, especially when training sabers were implemented.

Wexvil paused, catching sight of him and stopped, urging the apprentices to keep running. They did. Not even. Wing out of his supervision would let them risk to pursuing his job for them to the utmost of their ability. He would find out.

"Apprentice Garn!" Veino jumped to the position of attention on instinct, and turned to him.

"Yes, Defender Wexvil?" His heart was pounding and his hands had gone a bit clammy. Even after facing Sith in battle, he was still more terrified of this man for some reason. The Sith would only kill him. Or torture him. Defender Wexvil would make him run for miles. He'd rare take the chances with the Sith. They were nicer, as far as he could tell.

"You've been slacking in your physical and combat training." There was no question. It was a statement. Veino swallowed nervously, and nodded slowly. "I expect you at the training room 0500 hours tomorrow morning."

"I'll be there if other business with the Saarai-Kar and council require it, Defender." The man grunted, and set off running again. Veino relaxed, letting breath flood his lungs again. A few older Defenders nearby shook their heads sympathetically. A spur of the moment meeting with Wexvil was never a pleasant thing. For anyone, even the most hardened Defender.

Veino set off again, waving quick greetings to those he knew, as he wound deeper and deeper within the complex, with familiar halls and old hiding places that were clearly still in use, and on further reflection, probably had been for decades, if not centuries before he had first discovered them. No wonder adults always seemed so oblivious to them. They knew about them and were pretending to ignore them. Well, that was one mystery cleared up on his journey here.

He stopped in front of the ancient council doors, where he could hear a murmur of voices behind the door. Slow and quiet, a perfect fit for the doors, carved from wood from long before the gulag plague and inscribed with complex artistic designs woven in with Sith letters. He stopped and took a deep breath, preparing for this meeting. He had been wondering how it would unfold for over a year now, ever since the thought of coming home had first come to mind.

He stepped forward, preparing to knock, but the door glided inwards as his hand went down to reach it. He frowned. Such theatrics were new, as far as he could remember. What had happened while he was away? He stepped in to face the council and whatever judgement they may have for him.

Veino felt small and insignificant. Ten of he twelve council seats were arrayed before him, with the Saarai-Kar sitting quietly in the center seat, watching and listening. Veino swallowed nervously, stepping forward to the center of the chamber, each footstep echoing far too loudly for his preference. He stopped and bowed, waiting for their greeting.

"Welcome home, Apprentice Garn." The voice came from his right, and he turned to face the speaker. It was Defender Ooreb, a Rodian, from a long line of Jensaarai. Veino gave another slight bow.

"It is good to be back, Defender Ooreb. I am honored by the council's quick response in having this meeting with me so soon after arrival."

"It was not out of a sense to honor you." Veino felt a chill run down his spine as he turned to e next speaker. Defender Koruk. The only Anzati Jensaarai, and head of those who specialized in illusions, persuasion, and memory. The most feared group among the Jensaarai, even among the Jensaarai themselves. What good would be the greatest warrior among them be if trapped within one of their illusions? Though all Jensaarai walked in shadow, those under Koruk were he most shadowed. Some said they had ancient Sith artifacts they used in their work. Either way, Veino was hesitant to cross them. "War grows and could threaten our system. That is not something we will allow. We need your information on galactic affairs, specifically the Jedi and Sith." Veino opened and closed his mouth, trying to sort through everything he knew.

"There have been several splits in both the Jedi and Sith orders. I do not know the extent of the splits, but many of the powerful Jedi seem to have vanished from the Republic. As for the Sith..." He shrugged. "I know very little of their movements after the collapse of the Sith Empire. One of the splinter groups conquered Coruscant of course, and I've heard whispers of another group fighting a war against the Mandalorians. The Republic suffered in the opening of the war, but is regaining its momentum and rearming."

The council members nodded. He couldn't see their faces in now they regarded the news, and they were skilled enough to keep their emotions shielded, though he didn't know if it was intentional or simply a result of long years working in secret. He hadn't told them about his empathy yet. He had a sense they were communicating somehow, potentially through comlink a in their helmets, but had. O evidence to prove it.

The minutes dragged on and his mind drifted back to another council meeting.
----------
Veino stood alone in the center of the room, trying to shrink away from the intimidating forms that surrounded him. They were powerful. He could feel it, the air almost heavy with it. And they were to decide his fate now that Defender Rayfe Ekiam had joined the Force. It left him without a master to train with, not yet ready for the trials, but too advanced to be taken on by another Defender. He was a bit of an outsider now, especially given his staunch support and friendship with the exiled Jeela Tillian. Everyone walked on egg shells around him now, and he couldn't tell whether it was respect for his mourning or fear of being seen as too closely connected to him, and by extension, Jeela. And Roth. He was just more of an embarrassment than a political pariah.

"The council so deeply sorry for your loss, and the loss of the entire galaxy. Defender Ekiam was a great man. His kindness, generosity, honor, and wisdom brought sorely needed light in his day to the galaxy, and we feel that he passed that light on to you. He will be sorely missed." This was Defender Tillian speaking for the council, in a way that had not occurred since Jeela's banishment. He was a bit of a black eye as well for a while, but he had also been one of Ekiam's apprentices. His first, in fact. That made him a bit of an adopted uncle. Veino bowed, eyes red and puffy still, but numb now, rather than reeling from shock at the severance of the Force bond. He had been in medical for several days as they attempted to reach through his near-catatonic state. All he had felt was nothingness, a black void colder and harsher than space itself. He had been lost there, unaware of he time, until the healers managed to bring him back.

"I'm sorry too. I was there, and I should-"

"No." Defender Koruk this time, and Veino stopped in shock. He had never heard him speak before. Very few ever had. "You did what you could do, regrets will be nothing but stones around your neck in the days to come. Let them go. Time took him in the end. There is no cure for that in any record of the Jensaarai or the Jedi. Sith, yes, but their fear of death drove them to dark deeds that Rayfe would have never allowed anyone to resort to." Veino bowed his head, unsure of how to respond.

"Now, as for your current state. We think it is best for you to go spend some time with your family. After that, it is your choice." Defender Tillian again. Veino looked up, surprised. A choice? What kind of choice was there? "You can either return, and take lessons and tracings from a variety of Defenders until the time comes to take the remaining tests-"

"Remaining tests, sir?" Veino was confused. He hadn't taken one yet. Had he?

"Yes," A new voice spoke up, younger and softer than the others. Defender Kya Ktrame. Head of the Ring Defenders. She was one of the more approachable members of the council. Veino suspected it was because of her enthusiastic recruitment drives for her starfighter corps. She'd host, and participate in, highly competitive simulator tournaments. Nobody ever beat her, and very few matched her competitive drive. Even Rpth had only managed to get within ten kills of her one tournament. "One of the trials is the trial of sorrow. It tests the apprentice's emotional maturity and control as a way to gauge their danger of them falling. You have passed it, suffering a greater sorrow than many, and we sense no darkness in you." Veino gave a bitter smile. How fortunate for that then.

"Your other choice," Defender Tillian spoke again, "Is to leave Susefvi on a quest of your own self-discovery and learning." Excitement seeped through Veino's fingers. A journey? Like a quest? The way he and Jeela had talked about on many occasions? "You would have three objectives. One, to learn more about yourself and your own identity, which would serve same test of isolation. Two, to grow in skill and maturity to a level worthy of the title Defender. Three, to uphold the codes and ideals of the Jensaarai throughout the galaxy, serving and guarding those in need. Upon your self-decided finish, you will return to be promoted to the rank of Defender upon the completion of the last three tests. What is your decision?" Veino hesitated for a heart-heart before answering.

"I will take the quest." There was confidence in his voice again. Brashness almost. Certainly a touch of recklessness. Pride colorized it as well. But, the council nodded their heads in agreement.

"Go then, and may be your path ever be that of the Truth." It was spoken in unison, a farewell older than any could remember. He bowed and left the chamber.
–-----------------

"What of yourself and your quest?" Veino blinked, bringing himself back to the present. That was the question, and it came from Defender Tandra Gantu. She was in charge of the Apprentices and their early training, focusing on ethics in the later stages of training,,and her debates and questions had left many apprentices stumped for weeks trying to answer them. Usually, the answer was hat there was no real answer. "Do you consider yourself ready to be a Defender?""

That was the question of the year. Was he ready? He had the skills, certainly, and they had been tested and hardened in battle. He had, on multiple occasions put his life in the line of fire for the innocent, and carried the scars to prove it. He succeeded some of the times and seemed to have failed so many more. But, on thinking about it, most of the stories he had heard from Defenders were similar. No matter how many they saved, there always seemed to be even more lost. Each live saved was cherished, for it came with the realization that there were even more lost. Perhaps that would be his answer then.

"Unfortunately, I do." The council stirred and Defender Gantu tilted her head, looking even more like a falcon in her armor now than before.

"I find that an acceptable answer, and nominate Apprentice Veino Garn for promotion to Defender."

"Seconded." A new council member, one Veino didn't recognize. He was still grateful though. The rest of the council voiced their agreement. Veino waited, stomach clenched in anticipation for the beginning of her ceremony, again spoken in unison.

"Then go forth, Apprentice, upon the road of the Truth, to further seek the Truth, and to live the Truth."

Veino bowed deeply, and spun on his heel, walking out of the chamber, elated. He time had come for a dream to come true.

There was a place he needed to go now. Traditionally, Apprentices about to be promoted to be Defender spent the night in the Reflection Chamber, where three underground streams fed into an underground pool that was almost impossibly deep and impossibly still. He'd never been in there, as it was restricted to only those preparing for the tests, except on special occasions and ceremonies, none of which he had ever been present for.

He had someone to say hello to first. He turned right and entered a lift, selecting the button for the bottom level. The burial chambers. Unlike the Jedi, the Jensaarai did not burn the fallen. Instead, they entombed them in cairns and caskets in their armor in the deepest chamber. It was an eerie place, and Veino wasn't particularly fond of the idea of spending too much time down there. But, he wished to speak once more with Ekiam. He stiffened as the lift shuddered suddenly, but relaxed as the loft then resumed the clattering journey downwards. Then it slowed to a stop and the doors slid open.

Veino stepped into a chamber that was too dark to see in, but it could be felt, stretching far out. Slight echoes reached his ears, sounding like whispered voices. He shivered and took two steps to the right, feeling around with his arm, looking for the shelf of glow-rods kept there. Where was it? He felt rock, and he dropped his hand, catching it on something hard and metallic. The shelf. He grabbed a glow rod and activated, shaking the injured hand to ward off some of the pain, and letting the Force take the rest.

He took a deep breath now that the chamber was feebly illuminated, and started picking his way among the cairns. These were the oldest ones here, from long before the Gulag plague. He shivered and walked faster, wishing to get away from the whispers and hisses that filled the air in this area. He had never been able to tell if It was stupidity or someone with a sadistic irony streak that decided to use this chamber as a large part of the cooling ventilation system. He froze as an oversized Defender appeared from the shadows in front of him, helmet off, but with enough spikes along the rest of the armor to still be terrifying. Blood pounded in his hears and he felt his heartbeat increase dramatically.

"Sorry... Didn't mean to interrupt," Veino murmured, shifting aside to give the Defender some space. Then he stopped and forced himsef to chuckle. This was the memorial to those lost in the Gulag plague. He shifted around it and walked on, finding newer and newer cairns until he stopped at one of the two he wished to visit. This was the first. Taelros Dom. Veino ran his hand along the edge of the cairn, old guilt resurfacing once more. He knelt down beside it, and began to speak in a whisper.

"I made it, Taelros. Just like I said I would." His voice trailed off, "If only you were still here, we'd show them all a trick or two, you know? Make them realize so much." He wasn't entirely sure what else to say now. "It's harder than we thought. You have to live with sorrow and failure, because we can't save everyone." He smiled sadly. "We learned that the hard way, didn't we though? And...I'm sorry. I know I've told you this before, but I really am. It was stupid of me to think we could that, and my stupidity got you killed. Wherever you are, can you forgive me?" He sat still, waiting.

There was no reply. He wasn't sure what he hoped for, except perhaps Taelros to return as a Force ghost the way old records said the most powerful could manage, but Taelros had only been an apprentice when he was killed. Nowhere near skilled enough for that.

Veino rose slowly and traced his way to another cairn. Much, much newer. Four standard years newer in fact. He remembered helping build this one and placing Defender Ekiam inside. He knelt beside it again, hoping for his teacher's comforting presence. Still nothing. He was not powerful enough for a Force ghost either. Instead, his power came from his kindness and generosity and wisdom.

"You were right. This isn't the fun and games I thought it was. It is as painful and hard as you described. Perhaps even more so." Veino turned and leaned his back against it, rubbing his temples again. "Perhaps even more so. Turns out I'm an empath." He quirked a smile. "I feel everything others around me feel. Makes the line about protecting those I love take on a much broader meaning. I also feel when beings die. It's like having a part of myself erased."

Off in the distance, the lift doors creaked open, and he froze, peering through the gloom to see who it was. He couldn't see anything of course. Far too dark. He would just have to wait and see who approached, if they did.

He sat, waiting, surprised at how long the person was taking too find a glow-rod. He reached out with the Force to try and detect who it was. Nothing. Hardly unexpected, of course. The Jensaarai were masters at avoiding detection. It could be anyone then. Or maybe it was just a door malfunction. He let out a sigh and relaxed.

The Frce surged through him, warning him, a blink of an eye before a hand reached down from the cairn and clasped his shoulder. He stiffened and dropped the shoulder, swinging around with the glow rod, and then stopped. Familiar eyes sparkled across the cairn from him. He let out a long breath and bowed his head in greeting.

"Defender Gantu, I'm surprised to see you here." He turned completely around to face her where she stood on the opposite side of the cairn.

"That much was obvious" She walked around to take a seat across from him, her clear blue eyes turned to a muted shade from the glow rod. Veino suddenly realized how gray her hair had turned since he had last seen her. She was getting older. Then again, his hair was gray in places too. Maybe it wasn't just age then.,

"What brought you here? Other than scaring apprentices, which you usually don't do."

"I came to talk to you about your answer." Oh. It looked like he would have to elaborate on his answer, which he wasn't sure he could do. Not very well, anyways. Certainly not well enough for the resident logician.

"How'd you find me?"

"Think it through, Veino. Answer the question yourself." There was a familiar edge to her voice. Veino winced. He had forgotten that simply graduating from classes did not excuse one to expect easy answers her, or life, which is why she pushed so hard. He thought for a moment, and then it dawned.

"The guards probably I for, you whenever anyone enters the Reflection Chamber and since I did not enter, you received no notification, indicating I went somewhere else. I was last seen one of he few lifts that comes to this level and nobody saw me departing on the other levels." She nodded, pleased at his logic.

"And," She added, "I know you. You're sentimental and would wish to share the news with your friend and your mentor." She rested her chin on her hands and scrutinized him. "Now, please elaborate." Veino took a deep breath.

"The most painful lesson I learned was that I can't save everyone. Often times, I will be fortunate to save half of those in danger, not counting the billions in the rest of the galaxy. It's almost like fighting a losing battle. But, the few small victories we do gain are not lessened, by that. They're almost more precious that way, and despite knowing that the odds are stacked against us, we have to fight as hard as we can for as long as we can to protect all he ones we can." He stopped, ready for her criticism of his logic. She didn't say anything, but continued to sit there. Then she stood, and offered him a hand. He took it somewhat hesitantly, but was startled as he was suddenly pulled into a hug.

"Well done, Veino. Well done." She stepped back, a slight tear in her eye. "I'm proud to have taught you as a teacher, and to help raise as some form of mother. You've earned that wisdom. Wisdom enough for a Defnder." She released him and stepped back. "You might wish to go to the Reflection Chamber and sleep. You have a meeting at 0500 tomorrow." She turned and vanished into the shadow, leaving Veino confused and grateful. That was the most praise he had ever heard her given. He turned to look back down at the cairn.

"Thank you for your teachings, Defender Ekiam. They kept me sane in a galaxy gone mad."

He turned and picked his way back towards the loft,stopping to give a quick salute to the memorial once he heard the doors close and the lift descend.

He hurried back to the lift and hit the button to take him up. A few moments later, the doors slid open and he stepped inside, hitting the button for the floor that led to the Reflection Chamber. The lift rose for several minutes before stopping. He strode out and into the corridors, nodding to those he passed until the crowds thinned out and he was alone Ina torch-lit corridor heading downwards. He stopped at a door where two Defenders stood at attention. He slowed, watching them. One spoke.

"What path is it that you seek?" Veino blinked several times, trying to figure that one out, then nearly slapped himself for stupidity. That should have been an easy one,

"I seek the path of the Truth." The two Defenders stepped aside and opened the door.

"Then go, and in your reflection, may you find the path to Truth." They bowed in unison. "Travel well, pilgrim." Veinomreturned the bow and stepped through the door into he Reflection Chamber. He door slid shut behind him.

He stepped forward, and then stopped, surprised. The soft clear burble of water echoed throughout, washing the residual tension in his muscles away, and in the dim lighting he could make out the pool in the center. What was surprising was the cot near the center of the room along the pool's edge. He walked slowly over to the pool and stared into it. It was smoother than glass, and lit with a soft orange glow from the torches. Actual torches with flames. He could make out his shape there in the water, and mesmerized, he took a seat, watching the flickering light in conjunction with the sound of streams. His eyes grew heavy and he began to drift off.

So that was the purpose of the cot. He climbed up into it and lay down, pulling the thin blanket up over his shoulders. He set his chrono and then drifted off to the first quiet, restful,sleep,he had had in some time.
---------

His chrono woke him at 0430. He rolled off the cot and stood up, pulling some food from his cost poker and heading out the door.. The Defenders there stood aside as the door opened, not saying a word this time.He went on, heading to the training area for his appointment with Defender Wexvil. He entered the darkened training room and hunng his cost and pack upon hooks provided for this reason. He moved out into the center of the floor and began to stretch. He started with large muscles and worked down to smaller, more specific ones. He checked the chrono. A few minutes more. He was loose now, and not so stiff. He'd be ready.

"Apprentice Garn!" Veino wheeled to his right where Defender Wexvil stood silhouetted in a small doorway that aveinomhad always assumed was a closer. "In here!" Veino hurried over and stepped through the door, stopping suddenly in surprise at what he saw. The Council was arrayed around a ring, in their full armor and ceremonial cloaks. Wexvil pushed him forwards and then followed, closing the door and slipping around him tomwalkmto the center of the ring. He turned.

"This is your first test. It's simple. Demonstrate to me that your combat skills are sufficient to keep you alive." He rolled his shoulders and pulled out his lightsaber. Its red blade sprang to life, reminding Veino of other red blades that burned near his body. He forced the memories away and activated his own, stepping into the ring, turning the blade down for safety. Wexvil grunted in approval and did the same to his. Veino wasn't entirely sure what that meant. The Council said nothing. There was no support there. Nor was there any antagonism either. They were there to watch.

Veino took the Soresu opening stance and waited. Wexvil took the Djem So opening and began to circle. Veino matched the pacing, letting the Force flow through him, and then freezing his resolve and determination. Wexvil attacked with a blurred overhead strike. The Force showed this coming and Veino stepped aside and twisted, using the Force to briefly boost his speed so that the saber went down past him Veino struck back with a flick of his wrist. Wexvil rotated and brought his blade up from the back, catching it just above the hilt, and then arced his wrist, sending the blade shooting forwards towards Veino, who jumped up and over, pulling his blade free and spinning back around.

Their blades clashed and crackled with energy. Sweat started to trickle down Veino's forehead, He would,have to pull out some new tricks. He stepped back,returning toms defensive posture. Wexvil obliged with a sideways strike. Veino stepped backwards, dropping his blade beneath the strike before they met and then stepping forward again in a lunge. Wexvil stepped back hurriedly, bringing his blade snapping back around. Veino followed up on the advantage, raising his elbows to bring his blade in front of his opponent's, and shoved to the side, again strengthening his arms with the Force, lunging forward again. Wexvil slipped to the side again and jumped up and arced over. Veino brought his arm back and stabbed upwards towards Wexvil's arc, missing as Wexvil seemed to completely shift to a new position, but then dropped towards where the man had landed.

Contact! Barely though. Just the slightest touch along his arm. Wexvil deactivated his lightsaber and bowed. Veino repeated the gestures, and then watched as Wexvil turned to face the council.

"I find Apprentice Garn's combat skills adequate for promotion."

"The Council concurs." He couldn't tell who had spoken, but they turned and filed out some other entrance. Veino turned back to Wexvil, who gave him a feral grin.

"Not bad, kid. Need to keep working on it and develop some more forms. Integrate unarmed strikes as well. Otherwise, it was decent." The man clapped his shoulder. "Next test is in the Force chamber.. Ten minutes. Go." With that, the man departed, leaving Veino standing alone in a now dark room.

Veino clipped his saber to his belt and hurried back into the main chamber, pausing briefly to only consider whether or not to grab his pack and jacket. He decided not and instead rushed into the corridor, stepping aside to let early morning runners pass by. Most were apprentices on their mandatory morning run. He gave them all nods as they passed. Some returned it with a smile. Others grunted. A few didn't even see him because they were so focused on placing one foot in front of another to keep moving.

Veino slipped past them, using a touch of the Force to boost his speed to regain his lost time. He wasn't entirely sure how much time he had left, but with only a ten minute time window, there wasn't quite enough. He increased his speed again, darting between the growing crowds and turning a corner where he skidded to a stop and pressed the button. The door slid open with a hiss, revealing a black chamber where there was usually a brightly lit room. He stepped in side and the door clamped shut behind him. He turned slowly, and the Force nudged him to the side.

Something hissed through where his head had just been, and he dropped to a crouch, seeking the source. There was a flicker of the Force and then it was gone. One of the council members for sure. Was this a cat and mouse test then? Another nudge from the Force and he rolled forward as the object hit the ground behind him. He threw it back towards the source. It hit the floor and then was whisked away.

Veino crawled forward to where he remembered a large durasteel crate typically sitting. He stuck his hand out carefully. It was still there. He crouched behind it, and then bit back a curse at his stupidity. He hid his Force signature and shimmied away from the crate, moving towards where a rock had been placed. It was no longer there. So be it. He paused to listen and something bounced off the crate. Now they were on a more level playing field. Barely. He still had no idea of his objective. Avoid getting hit? Hit his opponent? Something else entirely?

He crawled forward a few more feet, and then stopped, focusing on his hearing. There was a soft rustle to his right. He sent a Force push that way and there was a soft thump. He followed it up with a second one after a few moments.

No response. Instead, he found himself hurled backwards and slamming into the crate. He stifled a groan and let the pain diffuse through the Force before ducking back down behind the crate. Nothing. He rose to a half crouch and darted forward before dropping back down to the floor, waiting. Another rustle. He rose to his feet and jumped, forcing himself higher with the Force. Darkness yawned beneath him, and a sense of solidness rose ahead of him. He sensed one of the objects and sent a Force push down in the vicinity of the rustle and then hurled the object afterwards. He landed gently, breaking the momentum with a roll and then popping up just short of the wall.

His face flushed with excitement at the move. He'd never pulled something like that off before. Then the object slammed into him and the lights flickered on. He turned from where he'd been shoved against the wall and hastily bowed. It was the Saarai-Kar herself.

She studied him impassively. Or seemingly impassively. It was hard to tell behind her mask. Even with his empathy, he could read nothing.

"Very ingenious at the end, Apprentice Garn. Until you decided to stand up." Her tone was forceful, but not cruel. Roughly what she always sounded like. "You still have a touch of your old brashness in you. Not enough to get someone else killed, thankfully." Veino's face burned red and an old ache stabbed deep inside. Did she have to bring that up? Everyone else let it rest. She cleared her throat. "Learn to deal with the pain, Veino, and move on. It is set in stone. Your future actions are not. Now, you have one last test. Go to the workshop. Defender Kirn will meet you there." She turned and marched off, disappearing through a door on the far side.

Veino walked out of the room more slowly now. There was no set time for the start of the armor construction. It was a relatively long process, taking several days to accomplish normally. Shorter if one chose not to sleep for a while. Longer if one didn't want to push themselves too far. Plus, while in process, it was the only thing they were required to do while it was in progress. Done right, it could almost be a vacation. Granted, that could turn into a failed test then, as in Roth's case. It was rare, though. Fortunately, he had started his armor before he had left. Memories drifted back to him as his shoulder brushed the duracrete walls.

----------------

The enormity of his situation had yet to sink in. He swaggered into the workshop with a dorky grin on his face, half saluting Defender Krin, who grunted in greeting from his hover chair where he sat scrutinizing a machine, and adjusting its settings.

"Apprentice Garn, reporting to begin armor construction." There was pride in his voice then, and exuberance. He burned with a passion and had the attitude he could pull it off. How different things had turned out to be. The galaxy was not so easily changed as he had expected, and he had discovered it was far crueler. That was still to come though, adding to his exhaustionwith each lightsaber scar he carried upon his body.

"Start and not finish, Apprentice. I don't like it." The man turned and fixed Veino with a calculating eye. "It takes up space in my workshop. And what if you don't come back, eh? What then? Will it molder and collect dust?" Veino's smile faded and he shook his head uncomfortable, trying to think of a response. The man shrugged and gestured to a duraplast cube. "No matter. We will begin with you carving the main portion of the armor. The skeleton, if you will." He handed over a vibro chisel. Veino took it and an indicated seat. He looked down at the cube, and frowned. Where did he even begin? He didn't even know what animal he wanted it to be. Then something draped across his eyes and he couldn't see.

"What are you doing?" His voice was indignant, and a touch insulted. "I can't carve like this!"

"I did, and so did everyone else," Krin snapped. He softened his voice. "This is tomalley the Force to guide you in your construction. The design will grow naturally. Bury yourself in the Force, Apprentice, and look more closely."

Veino snapped his mouth shut and pulled himself into the Force. He could vaguely sense the room around him and thine in front of him. He focused in on the cube. There was a nebulous shape hidden in there. He could sense it, almost as if it was on the tip of his tongue. He pushed, trying to sense it more clearly. It was gone. His shoulders slumped.,

"There's nothing there."

"There is, if you would quit whining about it and do it properly." Veino cringed and studied the cube again. He heard the other man let out an exasperated sigh. "I'm sorry. That was inappropriate of me. Your master was my closest friend, and a I see a lot of him in you. Just start carving and see what comes from it." Veino nodded slowly and set the chisel to the cube, soothed by its gentle humming, and started to move it, only to have his hand shift to one side and follow a different line. He frowned, but followed it, until his hand took another turn.

So it continued, Veino letting his hand seem to move itself for what seemed like hours, and what actually was hours. Sweat dripped down his brow, stinging his eyes and making the blindfold stink. Aches started to grow in his wrist, and his shoulders hurt. Eventually, he stopped and pulled the blindfold from his face, wiping the sweat from his eyes and trying to blink the pain away. He stared at his handiwork. A reek. He had not wanted a reek for his animal. He'd wanted something majestic and fierce, like a falcon or an eagle.

"Why a reek?" Krin floated over to examine it, and nodded approvingly.

"Can't answer that for you, Apprentice. Might be because they look intimidating and are actually quite gentle until threatened, which is when they become fierce. Or because you're bull headed. The Force works in mysterious ways." He. Finished inspecting it and set it back on the table. "Now carve the rest of them."

Veino's heart sank. He would have to hand carve the entire suit of armor? So be it. He picked up a large rectangular prism and set to work.

So long, painful hours began, carving plates of armor individually from chunks of duraplast. He finished the knee plates in two hours, after which he slumped over the desk exhausted and sweat-soaked, and until Kirn handed him a glass of water and some food. Veino picked at them, exhausted, taking small sips and bites. Nibbling, really. Carving these few plates had completely drained him. Even moving was a chore. He hadn't done the cuirass yet. That would be a nightmare, unless there was a larger tool he could use. This was becoming exhausting really.

"Go get some sleep, Apprentice." Kirn's voice was gentler now. "This will likely be the most exhausting thing you have ever tried through the Force." Veino hauled himself up, swaying on his feet, and staggered towards the door, supporting himself on countertops and he almost fell from one to the other. He stepped through the door and slumped down to lean against the wall, head back.

He felt empty. Almost as if something had leached away his soul. Which, in a way, was sort of true. He had sort of been sending himself into those chunks of duraplast for several hours, letting the Force guide the chisel, and there was only so much of that one could take in a day. Footsteps approached through the hallway and stopped near him.

"I can see you've been working on your armor, Veino." It was a soft, creaky voice, tinged with warm humour. "I remember when I did that. I could hardly move for three days." The voice paused, "But I also had the flu at that time." Veino gave a dry laugh and looked up. It was Yaln Wren. Nobody was sure what her actual rank or role was. She was old enough and usually wise enough to be on the council, but she wasn't. She disappeared into her chambers for days at a time and came out looking haggard. She'd been ancient as far back as anyone could remember. Some suggested she was actually a ghost. Or just an eccentric. Veino wasn't entirely sure, but he suspected she was far more than she seemed.

"That would make it worse," He said, pushing himself up from the ground, leaning on the wall. He stumbled, and she reached out to catch him. Her hold steadied him, and she slipped her arm in his.

"Easy, there, Veino." She laughed slightly as she took his weight, "It's been a while since I swept a young man off his feet." Veino tried to come up with a reply, but failed. She laughed softly again as they walked slowly through the corridors. She was still talking, but Veino was only half-listening, now finding himself drawing on the Force to even stand now that his own strength was gone. Strange it was, how even in his exhausted state, the Force could still hold him up. Perhaps that was a part of the construction. To teach apprentices to rely upon the Force even when their own strength failed.

"-wonder what it was like in the old days," Yaln spoke, and Veino returned to the now, catching up on her conversation, trying to figure out when she was talking about, "Before the Republic built this enclave for the Jensaarai." Veino shook his head, confused.

"The Republic built this?" That was news to him. Wouldn't they have mentioned that in history classes?

"Oh, yes, in the days after the Yuzhon Vong invasion as a thanks to those who fought and died. Also to serve as a last-ditch shelter for Jedi or other valuable personnel who might be hunted." She traced her other hand along the wall. "They chose this hill and started excavating into an underground cavern system they expanded on and reinforced with duracrete." She gestured to the walls, and Veino studied them more closely now. They took on a different importance now that he realized how old they were, and the significance they imparted. "We built the Chamber of Reflection though, or discovered it really. After the rest of the construction was finished, we went back and built a tunnel to the lake for a water supply." The chamber was truly theirs then. That was a relief.

"Where are we going?" He hadn't considered that before. "My dormitory is the other way." She waved her hand.

"Traditionally, you sleep in the Chamber until your armor is finished, but your situation is unique. We'll place you in a Defender's chamber for now." His shoulders straightened back and he lifted his chin. Now that was an honor he had earned. They stopped and she hit a button, sending the door sliding upwards, and she led Veino in, letting him drift to the bunk and lay back. She gave him a weathered smile, "It gets easier in a day or two. May you find Truth, Veino." He nodded and slumped back on the bunk as she left and closed the door behind her. Veino fell asleep instantly.

Next morning, Veino almost sprinted from his room to get back to the workshop. He could leave as soon as the armor base was completed. His dreams the previous night had been full of planets he had heard of and seen holovids of but never visited. Alderaan. Coruscant. Teth. Bastion. Tatooine. Naboo. Their names had woven a symphony that intertwined itself in his soul, and now his feet danced to its tune. Susefvi was a backwater, even if it was part of the Protectorate and on its border with the CIS. He realized that now. It was time to move on. There was a galaxy to see and people to help. And significant chunks of duraplast to shape in his way.

Kirn looked up when Veino rushed in and shook his head.

"Did you eat anything?" Veino pulled up short, and surprised. Well, no, he had not. He shook his head. Kirn rolled his eyes, muttering about overeager apprentices. He pushed a plate with a full meal towards him and Veino took a seat, embarrassed, and began to eat as fast as he could until Kirn held up a hand. "Slow down, Apprentice. Eating is your armor. Do not rush it. Its effects will be weakened."

Veino nodded abashedly, and slowed himself down, savoring each bite and chewing politely. Kirn nodded approvingly and leaned back in his hover-chair. Several minutes later, Veino stacked the dishes in one of the cleaner sinks, and turned back to his suit. It was time for the cuirass now. He shook his head slightly and took up his tool.

Kirn tapped him on the shoulder and handed him a larger version of the tool, and Veino nodded in relief. This would be better. He again set into his task, emptying his mind and awareness to let the Force guide his hands. The tool whined and hissed as it ground away at the duraplast, shaping it, and giving it curve and angles to deflect blows and bolts, and occasionally it would catch and hiccup on and edge before resuming its relentless work.

Minutes passed, and then hours, of emptiness, and slow, steady movements and duraplast shavings spraying up the air, speckling his face with small, barely noticeable burns. Sweat trickled down his back and face, burning his eyes, and he blinked it away. His muscles began to burn, and his neck ached. Moving the grinder became difficult, as if his arms were formed of lead. Spots began to appear in his vision.

Then he was done. With the cuirass, anyways. The bulk of it was finished. The rest would he would finish the next day. So he repeated the previous night, crashing into the chamber, and arising early to report to the workshop. This time, however, he grabbed something to eat before he left.

Several years prior to current timeline
This would be his final day before his departure from Susefvi. Butterflies flitted through his stomach as he made his way through the hallways to Kirn's workroom. Did the man ever leave this workshop? Or did he just sleep in his chair? These questions bounced around in his brain, but that was from the overabundance of energy he had. Others looked at him differently now. Defenders gave him a welcoming nod and apprentices looked up to him with a bit of awe. It was strange and unsettling. He was an adult now, in their mind.

Kirn looked up as Veino entered and then gestured over towards the workbench. Veino gave a nod and set to work, picking up the tools and centering himself in the Force, letting it guide his hands through the motions as his awareness of time and location faded away. So it went on, though not as intense as before, as these were small portions.

Not long after, he snapped back to awareness and stared down at the pieces before. That was it. They were completed. The suit itself was finished, and in the process, attuned to himself. His fingers were raw and bloodied. The joints ached, as did every muscle from his neck to his lower back. He slumped down in his seat as the whirr of Kirn's hover-chair glided closer. A hand clapped down on his shoulder.

"Well done, Defender Garn," He paused, "Go meet your friends. Breathe not a word of this process." Veino nodded numbly. "Don't worry. This will be here when you get back." Veino stood, and turned to face him, trying to find words to say, but unable to. Kirn simply nodded and waved. Veino turned and strode out out.
-----------------

Now he stood at the entrance to the enclave, watching as the door slid shut. A defender he didn't know waited for him in a speeder to take him to the spaceport where he had tickets booked for the closest star system. From there, he was on his own. His hands shook slightly at the meaning of that phrase. His fate was his own to decide then.

"You'll make a good warden," The defender said, adjusting his jacket. Veino looked over to him in confusion.

"Why?"

"You chose to leave here," The man said without looking at him as he guided the speeder away from the hill and speeding across the familiar plains. "Not many do."

Veino considered that all the way to his ship and then to the next system.
--------------------

Present Day
Veino stopped in front of the door to the workshop. How would Kirn react to him here now? Would he be glad to see him? Disapproving for taking so long? Butterflies fluttered again, just like they had several years ago when he first began the armor. The door slid open with a hiss, and Veino's breath caught in his throat.

Defender Kirn sat there, watching him. The man seemed no older than last time. He hadn't even gained weight.
"You aged more than I did, Defender." His voice was older though, and he moved back away from the door to let Veino enter. A familiar presence welcomed him. A signature in the Force rippled towards him, not unlike seeing his face in a mirror. His armor hanging on the wall. It was a little dusty of course, and seemed a little smaller.

Veino cracked a small smile, hand drifting first to his scars and then to the strands of gray that streaked his hair. "I went to find myself and found a few wars instead."

"That happens to us." Kirn said, wheeling over to take down the armor from the wall and lay it out across a table. Veino crept towards him, breath catching in his throat. He had dreamed about this day his entire life. "People already brought the cortosis."

"That's good," Veino murmured, and then he paused, confused. "How is it integrated?" Kirn gave a small laugh and pulled over a machine Veino couldn't recognize.

"This machine embeds it inside the plates," Kirn pulled on a thick pair of gauntlets and a sealed respirator before offering some to Veino. "You'll want these. There's a lot of caustic dust you don't want in your lungs." Veino nodded and pulled them on, pausing to adjust to the oddly purified air. It had a strange taste to it. Kirn handed him the machine. "I'll feed the cortosis in. You let the Force guide you again."

Veino nodded and took the machine. It was oddly heavy and a little unwieldy, but he sunk himself in the Force all the same, again slipping into the state of unawareness as the Force guided his motions. This time, there was a loud grating buzz that dug at his ears and spent odd shudders down his spine he felt even through the effects of the trance. He remained vaguely aware of what he could see, and a thick dark dust billowed up towards his face, stinging his exposed skin. Hopefully it would not be toxic. But that was what bacta was for.

Afterwards, he wasn't entirely sure how long after, he came back to his awareness of the present. The cortosis fiber was all gone now, and the duraplast plates had a different tint to them. He shook his head slightly to clear it and went to remove the mask.

Kirn held up a hand to stop him and pulled up a display on his datapad. "I need to run a decontamination before we can take the masks off." he tapped at the screen several times before a deep hum began from some unknown fan to consume all the air and refresh it with clean air. They waited, Kirn tinkering with some other gadget and Veino just studying the armor. Eventually the machines slowed to a stop and Kirn double-checked his datapad. "We're clear." He removed his safety gear and Veino followed suit.

"So..." Veino began, "Now what?"

Kirn chuckled and checked his chrono. "Get some sleep. Get some food. Report here at 2300 hours. Ceremony's at midnight."

Veino nodded slowly, surprised at how exhausted he was and headed out to a chamber where he could sleep. Which honestly, was anywhere. He'd learn to sleep everywhere during his travels, but they had given him a Defender's chambers again to sleep in and he crashed onto the bunk after setting his chrono. His armor was complete.

His alarm blared at 2100 and Veino sat upright, groggy and with that absurd post-nap feeling in his mouth. He grimaced in disgust and grabbed his canteen, taking deep swigs to try and rinse the feeling away. It only helped a little. He stood and considered. The ceremony would in armor so his clothes would be hidden. That didn't mean he should wear his battered old travel clothes though. That seemed inappropriate. He pulled out his good clothes from his travel bag. They were identical to his normal clothes, except clean, unwrinkled, unpatched, and looked quite crisp. He quickly changed out of those and headed to the cafeteria for food.

Other Defenders greeted him, calling him by name and giving him handshakes in greeting. His friends. Old friends. Some he had partially forgotten. None he had contacted since his departure. It was strange seeing them this way. Confident and proud and strong utterly unaware of the realities outside Susefvi. They had pursued thieves and murderers, cracked one or few crime rings, and nothing more. They had never deployed in a dropship or watched as soldiers were cut to pieces by blaster fire and explosions. Or seen what happens when they ram a lightsaber through someone's body. Or felt what it was like to be in the center of thousands of death echoing through the Force. Despite their shiny armor and confidence, they were all still so young.

Something inside him cracked at the thought of what he might end up asking them to do. He would lead his friends, his family, the people he grew up, shared secrets with, and loved into war where they would face the fury of the Dark Side and death in its rawest and most gruesome form. Guilt tugged at him, but he pushed that aside as he piled food onto a tray.

Now was a time of celebration and reunion as friend after friend made their way through his table to chat, either leaving duty stations or heading to duty stations. Eventually, they all left and he was alone to eat in peace. His journey had been long and meandering, but it was finally complete. No, that wasn't right. It was just beginning. From here he would go out into the galaxy and continue to fight the wars that needed fought. He checked his chrono.

It was time. He rose, stashed his tray on the disposal belt, and headed for the workroom where Kirn waited for him. The first thing he noticed about the workshop was that it was much cleaner and Defender Kirn was using prosthetic legs. Veino paused, suddenly shy, and Kirn beckoned him in.

"Good to see you cleaned yourself up. Time to get you kitted out in your armor." The older man paused to study Veino's clothes. "Glad to see you started well." He lifted up a long tunic of armorweave and a matching pair of pants. "These go on over your clothes."

Veino walked over and pulled the hauberk on over his head and the pants over his legs. It was strange, wearing two layers, and he could feel the weight beginning to pull him down. How bad would the full armor be? He'd have to get used to it and start practicing with it to know his capabilities in the armor. Kirn inspected him again.

"So far, so good." He held up the cuirass, which Veino strapped on, and so it went for a solid twenty minutes until nothing remained but the helmet. Veino waited for it, but Kirn didn't immediately hand it to him. Veino waited. "This you wait until the end of the ceremony to put on. The Saraai-Kar will ask you stand and take your place in the ranks. Hold it until then."

Veino nodded and took it in his arms, feeling strange underneath all this material. It was heavier than he expected, but also felt right. Everything was a little sharper in the Force. Crisper. More vibrant. He was calmer as well.

"Defender Kirn, I... thank you." Veino felt all sorts of words he wanted to say catch in his throat and form into a lump, but the old man just smiled at him.

"After tonight, it'll just be Kirn. And you're welcome. Feel free to ask any questions you have equipment and tools in the future." He turned away from Veino to take down what looked like a half-assembled speeder engine. "Now get to your ceremony. It's in the Chamber of Reflection."

Veino nodded and hurried from the room, the clanking of his armored boots on the floor send little thrills of excitement through his body. He slowed as he reached the door to the chamber where two Defenders in full armor and immaculate gray capes stood at attention. They waited until he stopped before reacting. Acting in the same moment, they each raised their lightsabers and clasped them to their chests.

"What path do you seek?" They intoned, voices ringing with certainty and somber regality.

"I seek the path of the Truth," Veino replied, matching their gesture. They stepped aside and opened the door. Veino took a deep breath and stepped inside the room.

The cot was gone. That was the first thing he noticed. The entire council and the Saraai-Kar stood in formal capes and armor around the central pool in a half circle, watching him, and a contingent of Defenders stood in a line off to his right. Torchlight flickered off water and lightsaber hilts and armor.

"Approach, Veino Garn, and kneel at the water's edge." It was the Saarai-Kar who spoke, her voice filled with the same regality and assurance as the guards. Veino did so, marching with such excellent posture that the drill sergeants in the Fel Imperium would have wept in appreciation, and then taking a knee at the water's edge, helmet tucked into the crook of his elbow. The water was still smooth as glass. Did it ever ripple or surge? Another council member began to speak, although he couldn't tell who.

"The power of the Jensaarai comes from the power of the Force. It is vast and mysterious and far beyond our capabilities to truly understand. We are seekers of the Light, and like this pool, its strength lies in quiet stillness, that remains resolute despite all outward occurrences. Do not draw your strength from the wild tempests of the Dark. Seek the stillness of this pool. To remember this, take and drink of its water."

That was a surprise. He did not think any were allowed to drink from the pool, but he did so, setting his helmet down to dip his hands into the pool. It was cool and still calm. He drank it, trying not to spill any. It was surprising sweet water and calming. Most water was, but this seemed more so than usual.

Another spoke.

"It is our duty to give up ourselves to defend others. We do not seek power or fame or fortune like the Dark. Ours is the path of sacrifice and duty. For this, hand over your lightsaber."

Veino's heart felt like it would stop at that statement, but he gritted his teeth and held it out. It drifted gracefully from his hand to be taken up by the council member who was speaking. Jeela's father, perhaps? The figure seemed the right size. The figure activated it and its hum and glow filled the quiet air.

"This is a weapon. It takes lives." Veino knew that. He had watched it cut down several One Sith soldiers on Alderaan. Watched as it seared through their armor and body, separating their lives from their bodies. "But it can also defend. Both have their value. Both are necessary. Use them both together. Never attack without the intent to defend. Never defend without accepting that you will kill to do so. Do you accept this responsibility and duty?"

"I accept this responsibility and duty," Veino replied slowly, and the lightsaber drifted back to his hand. He rehooked it to his belt.
The Saraai-Kar spoke again.

"Recite the code of the Jensaarai." Veino took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and spoke with certainty and clarity.

"I am a follower of the truth
Respectful of the truth
As the truth is the Force
and the Force is power
Power is the True Force
I am disciplined in the True Force
Honorable to all in the force
through discipline and honor
I am a Protector of Justice
Through protection...
There is peace in the galaxy"

The room was silent after for several moments until the Saarai-Kar spoke again.
"Veino Garn, do you pledge yourself to the Jensaarai?"

This was it. It was the critical moment. He took a deep breath.

"I pledge myself to the Jensaarai," He paused for a moment, and then quoted from one of the other codes. His personal favorite in fact, "For I have found true life in the protection of those I love, and as I love the Light, which is created by, through, and within all life, I love all that live."

There were murmurs of approval from the council and then quiet again.

"Then Veino Garn, I promote you to the rank of Defender of the Jensaarai. Rise, and join us in the ranks."

Veino picked up his helmet, set it on his head and stood to face the ranks of Defenders who stood quietly nearby. Without a word, the members of the front rank stepped apart from the middle, leaving an open space in the middle. Veino marched forward and joined them in that rank.

One of many, each an individual in different armor, but unified in purpose and vision. Veino had finally become a Jensaarai Defender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom