Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TitanFall

Adenn Gra'tua said:
I know it won't because it is online only
That's not a contributor to sales and popularity in a game. Marketing and appeal is. Also, the main selling point of Halo and Call of Duty at this point is multiplayer. Granted, being multiplayer-only does limit the amount of sales, but it's 2013. Broadband internet is getting more commonplace each day.

With that said, I can't wait. But, I won't buy it at release.

@[member="Daella Apparine"] but they (whoever is making it since I don't remember) said that it would compete with halo (or I'm pretty sure they did) and that it would sell better. And again, I don't think It will since it is online only and halo has story and an online mode. Then titanfall has no story mode at all.

Adenn Gra'tua said:
@[member="Daella Apparine"] but they (whoever is making it since I don't remember) said that it would compete with halo (or I'm pretty sure they did) and that it would sell better. And again, I don't think It will since it is online only and halo has story and an online mode. Then titanfall has no story mode at all.
You've repeated more or less what you stated earlier.

The game does have a recipe that is similar to other huge video game successes in terms of sales:
  • Support for all platforms - While Halo 4 did have great sales, it pales in comparison to Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. The reason for this is because Halo 4 is only supported on one platform while COD and GTA are supported on all major platforms (or soon to be supported on all). Therefore, Titanfall has a much better of selling more copies than Halo 4 just because anyone can play it.
  • High graphical fidelity - More polygons is a selling point, and Titanfall is a nice looking game.
  • Huge pre-release marketing - Titanfall has been covered by every video game news company. It's received tons of convention awards. EA is the publisher and it's bound to flood the market with banner ads. Vendors such as Game Stop are going to have pre-release bonuses, if they haven't already started to do so.
  • Huge support for multiplayer - It is a multiplayer-only game, so this is natural. Though the fact is: Halo and COD's main selling points at this point are their multiplayer experiences. The single-player storylines for them are reputedly below par. Even GTA 5 gained tons of sales due to GTA Online. My friends that have GTA 5 tell me that they hardly play single-player anymore just because of GTA Online. So in terms of getting sales, multiplayer is the route to go.
  • Shooter - Shooters have been where the money is for video games for the past decade. Every few years, the most popular flavor changes (ie. Unreal/Quake -> WW2 -> Modern Warfare), yet the entire genre is a constant staple in the video game industry.
So, I would not be surprised if this easily surpassed Halo 4 and COD games in terms of sales.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
@[member="Daella Apparine"]

First point is not entirely true though. It won't be released on the PS4, at least not the first installment of the franchise.
Or did they change their minds regarding that?

It probably will outsell Halo, but COD? I am not so sure about that, at least not until it has a PS4 version.

@[member="Daella Apparine"] higher polygons? Have you not seen halo 4 and that means halo 5 will have even better graphics. And halo is also a shooter. And people who buy call of duty only buy it for multiplayer. And the only reason I would play GTA5 would be to eff around. Most people who buy halo buy it for the story (not that Bungie and 343 don't pay any attention to the multiplayer) then they go to multiplayer. And then they're going to milk Titanfall (I think. But now that I said it they aren't) when halo releases every two or three years. But overall halo is a better game and series, more detail goes into Halo than most games (did you not see the scene at the end of halo 4? That looked real.)

Jared Ovmar said:
First point is not entirely true though. It won't be released on the PS4, at least not the first installment of the franchise.
Did not notice that, and yeah, that would mean Titanfall won't be getting people from the Playstation portion of the market to buy.

Adenn Gra'tua said:
@Daella Apparine higher polygons? Have you not seen halo 4 and that means halo 5 will have even better graphics. And halo is also a shooter. And people who buy call of duty only buy it for multiplayer. And the only reason I would play GTA5 would be to eff around. Most people who buy halo buy it for the story (not that Bungie and 343 don't pay any attention to the multiplayer) then they go to multiplayer. And then they're going to milk Titanfall (I think. But now that I said it they aren't) when halo releases every two or three years. But overall halo is a better game and series, more detail goes into Halo than most games (did you not see the scene at the end of halo 4? That looked real.)
My post was highlighting the reasons why Titanfall will sell better than Halo. Whether or not Titanfall would be a better experience doesn't matter. Also, going over what you touched on:
  • Graphics - I'm not sure what your point is in mentioning Halo's graphics, but as I said: high graphical fidelity is a selling point. I guess the fact that you're mentioning the likelihood that Halo 5 will have "more polygons" kind of supports that fact. Titanfall is a game with excellent, photorealistic graphics, and this sells games.
  • Shooter - Titanfall is a shooter just as Halo, and GTA since San Andreas has refined its shooting mechanics. Shooters sell.
  • Singleplayer vs. Multiplayer - EA has a stance of strongly insisting any game it sells has a multiplayer component in it. Not to mention, the most popular game atm (League of Legends, 32 million monthly players) is multiplayer only. The top three most played games on Steam are multiplayer only. Whether it's because of the ability to play with friends or the competitive nature of these games, multiplayer manages to sell. I sometimes buy games just because I know I can play it with my friends, and this is one of the reasons I hear people buy the latest version of Halo or COD. Also, for those that believe the narrative of Halo stories is above par, see the Critic's Corollary of Sturgeon's Law. The only single-player element that has been proven to succeed in sales is "freedom," in the sense of GTA's and Skyrim.

For all of these though, Titanfall matches Halo. What will make Titanfall easily surpass Halo is that it's supported on the PC, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. With it being on the Source engine, support on the PC shall be fairly large - especially if EA allows for Titanfall to be sold through Steam. The sales goal of 8.7 million copies shouldn't be that farfetched.

The graphics may look good @[member="Daella Apparine"]but it is going to be very lagy. Unlike halo's multiplayer... And then I am a halo fan and I love the halo franchise so I'm very opinionated. But I don't think TitanFall will outsell Halo 5 (and now that I said it Halo will be outselled) and again, much more quality and detail are put into the Halo games. And again, in my mind the Halo games are better than most games... Now about Destiny. That, looks real and it might outsell Halo (but it doesn't matter since Bungie is making it and they made the first halo games)

Reyven Samoth

Grand Lord of the Tribe
IMC campaign down. Game does not lag(much, but considering that it was launch night and everyone and their grandmother was on that's damn impressive), graphics are amazing, combat is streamlined, multiplayer only is not an issue. I don't know that Halo is dead, but CoD and BF might be.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TITANFALLLLLLLLL anyways those of us on the Superior Platform of PC gaming drop me an add on Origin

CubicKitty

do let me know who you are tho <_<;; also I'll be streaming Titanfall on my twitch channel *points below* in mah sig is mah link. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom