Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan Steel

Matreya

Intent: To expand upon real life metallurgic methods
Development Thread: If needed..
Manufacturer: Merr-Sonn, Inc.
Model: MS "Titan Steel" Alloy Mk 1
Affiliation: Selective Markets
Modularity: None
Production: Minor

Materials: Varies, On average possessing traditional steel components electroplated with MerrSteel
Classification: Multipurpose
Weight: Varies, Generally very lightweight
Quality: Varies, Average (with normal Steel components) of 7 but can reach higher
Special Features:
  • Lightsaber Resistance
  • Very Durable
  • Lightweight
Strengths:
  • [ Light and Durable ] ~ The material is a very durable alloy, even able to absorb heat from lightsaber blades, lessening the damage they do
Weaknesses:
  • [ Shaping ] ~ Should an item be produced on a grand scale it will likely take pressing to shape to do so, which forces striations to form along the shape. Much like the grain of a fiber of wood, should none follow the 'metallic grain' with, say, a sword, they will find it much easier to destroy the material
  • [ Cold ] ~ The material also possesses, depending on method creation and which worker makes it, an inherent severity toward cold. It becomes increasingly brittle with every second that it is exposed
  • [ Zzzzt ] ~ Unbeknownst as to why, this material when crafted by certain workers, possesses a dense vulnerability toward electrical surges. Even small shocks become super painful, toward the extent that an average shock can cause total paralysis.

Description: Starting with the ideals of needing a more useful material to have within their arsenal of trade, possessing similarities between MerrSteel and MerrTitan, but being made less so than its predecessors, the heads of decided to go with a new breed altogether. Firstly Merr-Sonn metallurgists, after word from Damien Daemon, and Valashu Elahad, set about starting at base processes, those already known to make materials stronger. Some of the potentials begin with Titanium, as it is one of the easiest, and despite it all, one of the cheapest, to manipulate they chose it as a base for the material. Additions were added though, high levels of chromium, with additions of Iron as well as heavy amounts of Tungsten.

What was a hefty and durable, but easily not the strongest, has now been changed vastly. With additions of Chromium the plating, or slabs of the material, are denser against scratching and slashing, while with addition of Tungsten also adds a tensile strength greatly passing Durasteel, and superbly passing general Steel. Ostrine was added toward the means of heavy heat absorption.

After properly allowing the separate minerals a chance to combine on proper levels, yet while still malleable and mold able, the next process begins. Next the new alloy is put through two massive rolling pins, through which they thin the metal until it is less than two millimeters. Via each of the pins moving on different speeds, they force fused large grains to break back down into smaller grains. Afterwards moderate heating is added to force bonding between smaller crystals. This results in overlay of small crystals around large crystals, making the resulting metal heavily more durable because the surrounding layer of small grains makes it difficult for the large grains to deform, while maintaining flexibility.

The next step is a direct step by step replica to the MerrTitan:
...electroplating carbon nanoparticles to be used in a process known as cavitation ... Firstly, when adding carbon nanoparticles to any alloy, there is the ever present issue with clumping, therefore not dispering into the mixture properly. The result is an alloy that within, locating in multiple regions, there is an ultra hardened material. But the rest of the metal? It becomes brittle, to brittle for most processes required of the alloy. But cavitation, or the application of sonic pulses, allows rapid expansion and retraction of waves that cause bubbling in the alloy. The result is, upon the final and strongest wave, the bubbles popping, dispersing all clumps evenly throughout. This in and of itself already allows for hardening, true hardening, of materials.

Through this method, even steel can become ten times harder than it is at resting.

But then came the electroplating of the carbon nanoparticles. This is performed via electrical applications to an electrolyte mixture containing a MerrSteel salt, so that during the process, involving negatively charging the ions within the electrolyte, the alloy slinks upward into carbon's cell to encase it properly. Thusly when these new hybridal MerrSteel-carbon particles are added, they could make potentially the hardest substance to exist.

The problem there in would be density, and over all weight. At this point, taking a progress that made one of the most durable and heavy metals in existence harder, and heavier, it would be damn near useless via all means. Hence, microlattice mesh additions made from a cooling, therefore malleable, state of the MerrSteel 2.0. Through processes involving machine driven rolling, hollowing, and like, there are hollow nanotubes crafted from the product. These then get formed into mesh that is layered and layered until making a solid shape...
Via the end of this, one finds they have a lightweight, but very durable alloy able to molded to meet many needs. But this still is not where the process ends. When Merr-Sonn, Inc. is properly manufacturing an item for someone, they will shape it as properly deemed before super heating once more. Up until the point where it is beginning to be malleable, then it is quickly cryogenically frozen, forcing the tensile density to solidify. A sword takes one more step to harden, a suit of armor? Same. Gun barrel? Just the same.

The end result is a type on par with MerrSteel in tensile strength, while also lighter than MerrTitan.

Primary Source: Zhu Strong Ductile
(The statistical information is based upon less than 2mm thin sheets of the metal)

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Damien Daemon said:
Manufacturer: Merr-Sonn, Inc.
Please link "Merr-Sonn Inc" to its approved company submission.

Damien Daemon said:
Development Thread: If needed..

Damien Daemon said:
Lightsaber Resistance
If this is significant lightsaber resistance, this will probably need a sizeable development thread. So with that being said, how resistant is this to lightsabers?

Damien Daemon said:
Weaknesses:
I would like to see at least one weakness in this last that has an immediate, practical effect on its use (such as being heavy, easy to fracture, cannot be formed in certain shapes, etc). I would recommend making this a material property.

Damien Daemon said:
Weaknesses: [ $$$$ ] [ Corrosion ] ~ The aforementioned is not so protected against, letting one potentially damage the integrity of their items if exposed to heavily corrosive materials
What would you consider to be heavily corrosive materials?

Matreya

I will link.

But on note of "sizeable", what are we speaking of? The two main properties that allowed its light saber resistance(ostrine and the MerrSteel electroplating) were used in two similar alloys made in the same way. Not to say I wouldn't be inclined to do the dev, rather at this point the make up of everything included is either a real life process, real life materials, or canon ones that my company is now readily manufacturing in two separate styles, one of which is basically beskar its so resistant (the aforementioned MerrSteel).

For the first time, I genuinely could not and still can't think of a weakness. On my others, the items used were conductive and severely heat absorptive, so it was an easy thing. But this, again, is made almost entirely out of real materials, and noting anything similar to the prior seems... well cheeky. Saying its basic level conductive is like saying, yeah? So are a dozen other materials. So, any ideas?

Acidic properties, or like. Ie, some atmospheres will heavily damage a ship made of it, or if hit with a gas grenade that might have corrosive gases. Basically any and all corrosion is a weakness to this.

Which actually fixed that weakness problem for me. Would this be good?:

[ Ship to Atmosphere Drop ] ~ Some atmospheres are heavily dense with chemicals that cause destruction on a molecular level, so making this into a ship is a truly bad idea if one ever plans to land

[member="Gir Quee"]

Damien Daemon said:
I will link.
Link seems to still be missing.

Damien Daemon said:
But on note of "sizeable", what are we speaking of? The two main properties that allowed its light saber resistance(ostrine and the MerrSteel electroplating) were used in two similar alloys made in the same way. Not to say I wouldn't be inclined to do the dev, rather at this point the make up of everything included is either a real life process, real life materials, or canon ones that my company is now readily manufacturing in two separate styles, one of which is basically beskar its so resistant (the aforementioned MerrSteel). For the first time, I genuinely could not and still can't think of a weakness. On my others, the items used were conductive and severely heat absorptive, so it was an easy thing. But this, again, is made almost entirely out of real materials, and noting anything similar to the prior seems... well cheeky. Saying its basic level conductive is like saying, yeah? So are a dozen other materials. So, any ideas?
The exact amount or size of development that this will need will be dependent on its weaknesses and its resistance to lightsabers.

Looking at your past submissions that you are referencing, MerrSteel was noted for being extremely heavy. That's a solid weakness. While none of Merr Titan's weaknesses are really exceptional on their own, I think their combined presence, and the fact that its quality against was 6 balanced out the sub well.

So with that said, some properties to possibly consider when making any material:

1) Weight (light versus heavy)
2) Workability: (brittle versus ductile)
3) Conductivity (electrical and thermal, conductor versus insulator)
4) Compressive strength
5) Tensile strength
6) Flexibility

This page has even more properties to consider.

Matreya

Thanks for the reference page, already been sort of reading on alloys, minerals, etc. I knew a bit from when I was a kid, but have been looking into further knowledge about newer techniques.

Anyway, the link wasn't edited in yet, as I am going to do a solid lump edit. So need everything else first.

So, considering the presidence for what I am doing, (rl material, and stuff I have already done dev for) if I drop ligbtsaber down to 6 could we skip dev? Alongside the addition of the above weakness, and a tweaking to explain that even such things as concentrated ammonia can damage the structures?

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Damien Daemon"], I think we can skip dev with a resistance of 6. WIth that though, I will need another immediate solid and practical resistance besides the corrosion characteristic already described.

Matreya

[member="Gir Quee"]
How we looking now? I linked, added a few weaknesses, and generally spruced the thing up (fixed general mistakes)

Damien Daemon said:
Quality: 8.5 Ballistics (Non Energy Weapon) ~ 9 Lightsaber/Blaster ~ 7
Lightsaber resistance is still high, and while it's possible that I simple didn't notice this the first time around, the ballistics's quality also looks really high for not having any development.

Damien Daemon said:
[ Cold ] ~ Once a certain temperature drop is reached, the metal becomes much more brittle - not to say it becomes like glass, but the tensile strength and durability are lessened. Do not expect to be around planets like Hoth, or even simply cryoban grenades, and shrug it off. [ Magnetic ] ~ For reasons unknown, the alloy is easily one of the most magnetic to ever exist, to the extent that a small pull usually can be much heavier, even slowing down movement

I need something more solid as a weakness. When I say that, I am looking for something that is not situational to the environment. Alternatively, I can see something that is environmental based, but it would have to have a very significant, almost catastrophic effect.

For example, if the "Cold" weakness could be worked into being very brittle and glass-like when exposed to cold, I could go with it.

Matreya

[member="Gir Quee"]
In regards to durability etc, going any lower doesn't seem logical as its an upgrade to old processes, and I feel an upgrade should not be weaker. Admittedly the 6 was supposed to change to 6 during editing. Must have missed that. It was by no means an attempt to slide that by.

So I will jump to the required dev, as soon as I get the approximation (lol asked for it before) of what you would need.

For the weaknesses, I don't understand how coldness is not a weakness, it has been in the prior used methods, though not as cold as it does not have the same ultra freezing materials to make the alloy. Again, any ideas? Because making it so it is glass like, means why in the world would a single person ever want to use a material like that, alongside the durability being made completely confusing - the methods improvve it but then it still not only snaps but shatters, j feel it doesn't make much sense.

Damien Daemon said:
In regards to durability etc, going any lower doesn't seem logical as its an upgrade to old processes, and I feel an upgrade should not be weaker. Admittedly the 6 was supposed to change to 6 during editing. Must have missed that. It was by no means an attempt to slide that by.

It still reads as 7, not six. I wasn't viewing this as an upgrade so much as a different material. If this is going to be a straight all-around, better upgrade, this will need a lot of development.

Damien Daemon said:
For the weaknesses, I don't understand how coldness is not a weakness, it has been in the prior used methods, though not as cold as it does not have the same ultra freezing materials to make the alloy.
It's not being described the same way as in the other submissions, where it is stated as follows:
[ That is C-c-cold! ] ~ As above, because the metal is such a combatant to heat, it is lethal to use much of the material in cold climates (Tundras, Cryokinetic situations, etc
If it was described just like that, I would consider it to be a solid weakness.

Matreya

Okay, well I still need to know what we are looking at for dev requirement?

On the cold, it is easily noted as similar - if you disassociate it as it is not made with the same materials. However, making things brittle make things breakable, and I conceded and stated in the weaknesses that it would become brittle in cold conditions. I did not want to make it state anything near "glass like" as this would immediately be how it was taken. There would be no ifs and or buts. If someone got hit using this, on say hoth, with that description, I could easily see another going "well, its like glass in these conditions! So your missing an arm now!" Etc.

What I said was in essence the same, but not so heavily stated.

In regards to the 6/7, what I had meant was when I made the eidts I'm not sure why it didn't change to six but that im glad it didn't because you wanted even weaker than that, so I figure I will do the dev instead of making my upgrade weaker...

If I can ever find out what the dev needed is... :D

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Damien Daemon"], sorry I haven't replied sooner. If you ever find yourself waiting on me for more than two days, feel free to shoot me a PM. Sometimes I don't get notifications.

Damien Daemon said:
Okay, well I still need to know what we are looking at for dev requirement?
Probably a minimum of twenty posts as I understand the concept now. Depending on the weaknesses though, it could be more posts. I will not give you a solid figure of the development needed until we have the balancing for this submission complete.

Damien Daemon said:
What I said was in essence the same, but not so heavily stated.

And that's the issue. While the core concept of brittleness is there, it appears to be much less of a weakness in terms of its severity in this submission compared to previous iterations of its use as a weakness. If you specifically edit it in to be as weak as it was previously, I could count this as a valid weakness.

I will reiterate that I do want to see an immediate, practical material weakness in this submission that is not based solely on unusual circumstances or a weakness that is just barely a weakness compared to the strengths that the material possesses. Let's look at Titan Steel in its current form from a gameplay standpoint.

Positives (most self-explanatory)
-lightweight
-durable
-lightsaber resistance

Negatives
-Expensive: Arguably a valid weakness if the production level was really low. But minor production doesn't really cut it.
-Corrosion: This is something that is applicable to all materials, but especially metals. It's not really a weakness then compared to its competitors.
-Kinetic Damage: Again, this is something that is applicable to most materials (The only metal that I know which doesn't fit this would be Tekonite). This does not make it weakness, especially in certain applications where it isn't being used as personal armor.
-Sense of Imperviousness: This is arguably a character flaw of the user rather than a feature of the material itself. This is not a weakness.
-Cold: Almost all real-life metals that I know of become more brittle when exposed to cold temperatures. The way it's currently listed makes it seem to me to not be any different than its competitors. Which again, makes it no different than its competitors, which means it's not a weakness. If it was explicitly described as undergoing catastrophic deformation when exposed to cold temperatures, I could accept this.
-Ship to Atmosphere Drop: This is highly situational and highly open to interpretation on what is a "corrosive enough" atmosphere. I can see some people legitimately playing this as disintegrating if it touches even a little bit of atmosphere. But I can also see people only noting it falling apart when it's in an atmosphere when any other metal or material would begin to disintegrate. So again, it doesn't appear to be any different than its competitors, which doesn't make this a valid weakness. With some editing that makes it explicitly clear that it is more suspectible to corrosion than most materials out there, this could potentially work.
-Magnetic: While this is an interesting property, it could also easily be turned into a strength by a clever user to move things towards a person (like someone using a gauntlet made out of Titan Steel to better punch someone). Because of that, while I like it's inclusion to flesh out the submission more, I can't really count this as a straight weakness for balancing purposes.

Damien Daemon said:
In regards to the 6/7, what I had meant was when I made the eidts I'm not sure why it didn't change to six but that im glad it didn't because you wanted even weaker than that, so I figure I will do the dev instead of making my upgrade weaker...

Development is only a substitute for balance to a certain extent. In other words, no amount of development will substitute for balance depending on how far you push it.

Matreya

Alright, after thinking it through more so, I decided I actually am ok with a weakness of both Steel and Titan, so how's this:

[ Surges ] ~ For a reason unbeknownst, the material is highly conductive for electricity. Should one feel even a bare shock, such as a small static bolt from drug feet, one would find this metal amplifies it quite painfully. The average shock from a general power source, could be paralytic, while stronger bursts such as Force Lightning, are outright fatal

Apologies if I seemed pushy about dev, just was curious what would be wanted. MerrSteel was more durable and only needed ten, but you're a different judge so I didn't know what to expect.

In regards to the PM, I can do that!

Thanks for talking this out with me as it goes.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Damien Daemon said:
[ Surges ] ~ For a reason unbeknownst, the material is highly conductive for electricity. Should one feel even a bare shock, such as a small static bolt from drug feet, one would find this metal amplifies it quite painfully. The average shock from a general power source, could be paralytic, while stronger bursts such as Force Lightning, are outright fatal

Being a conductor is again, one of those characteristics that can be played as both a strength and a weakness. On one hand, it does help to possibly explain why Titan Steel is good at protecting against lightsabers and energy weapons. On the other hand, this combination of characteristics could also be easily turned into something that is easily (ab)used in ways not immediately apparent, such as using it to make the circuitry for droids.

Moreover, I can easily see someone negating this weakness by wearing an insulating material underneath it if it's being used as armor.

Damien Daemon said:
MerrSteel was more durable and only needed ten, but you're a different judge so I didn't know what to expect.
Merrsteel was also exceptionally heavy, which is a serious limitation. If this had a similar limitation as well, I would be comfortable with a 10 post development thread.

Here are some similarly solid limitations to consider:

1) Weight
2) Brittleness
3) Easily Deforms
4) Anisotropic properties
5) Highly chemically reactive to something common or easily produced
6) Is weak against certain damage types

Matreya

Well, weight is a strength so I don't for see how it could be a weakness, brittleness was mentioned, deformalities I had yet to think of, it is weak against any and all chemically corrosive materials, and has readily been mentioned as weak to cold and lightning...

Lol all of the things save deforming and the link, I have mentioned in one way or another. And some.

In regards to the lightning, I did not simply take the base as is, I made it so that if, say, he accidently got shocked by a wall outlet, it is potentially paralytic. I did not simply say hey, electricity. I said it is heavily multiplied. While the average person has been shown to be shocked and survive, even Sith Lightning, using this one has I would say less than a 1:10 chance of survival.

I even mentioned a shock from dragging feet is damned painful.

At this, without outright destroying the idea I made, which again mind you is all soundly based in real life techniques, I can't think really of more to do. I am willing to add the deformation, but again with the methods described, using the multiple heating and even cryo cooling to harden, it would break logic to make it as heavily dominant as you seem to want.

I am trying, cause you have never done me wrong. But all in all, I don't know what you want from me.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Matreya

Ok I looked more into the anisotropic properties and came up with:

[ Shaping ] ~ Should an item be produced on a grand scale it will likely take pressing to shape to do so, which forces striations to form along the shape. Much like the grain of a fiber of wood, should none follow the 'metallic grain' with, say, a sword, they will find it much easier to destroy the material

But as is, I feel like so many weaknesses that actually effect it, make this far too illogical. These materials in real life are not as weak as I am making them too be, but I do so for the sake of approval. So I ask, can I pick two of them: electric, cold, or shatter lines?

Corrosion and magnetic are both gonna stay, as though dangerous, they aren't so hastily able to be fatal.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Damien Daemon said:
But all in all, I don't know what you want from me.
I want balance, but I think that our current route of going about this doesn't seem to be very productive.

I think that having a lot of little weaknessses as this currently has doesn't satisfy me, and to my view at least, it doesn't seem to satisfy you.

So let's try something else.

Let's remove all of Titan Steel's current weaknesses. In return, give me one solid limitation.

It might help to prioritize what properties you want this metal to have, and pick the least important one to modify into this submission's limitation or weakness. If you want further help with that, let me know what you're looking to use this material for (personal armor, melee weapon material, ship construction, etc), and I can provide some suggestions.

Matreya

Went the most recent route. Despite it all, a way that needs nothing more than an attack, that could destroy a portion of the armor does indeed feel the most balancing. The others were circumstancial, this is inherent in the products.

Also, thanks. I feel the same, a reapproach might be the best to have it approved.

[member="Gir Quee"]

Damien Daemon said:
[ Shaping ] ~ Should an item be produced on a grand scale it will likely take pressing to shape to do so, which forces striations to form along the shape. Much like the grain of a fiber of wood, should none follow the 'metallic grain' with, say, a sword, they will find it much easier to destroy the material
So in other words, it is only durable from certain angles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom