Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to Compile

In speaking with Tefka in the Factory Discord chat, some of you may have witnessed a discussion about the user-friendliness of using the Factory and Codex and the accessibility of our wily sectional rulesets.

THE PROBLEM:
For all members, new or old, the use of the Codex or Factory can be confusing due to the vast array of extranneous rulesets we have defined over the years for the various sections.

A member cannot click the "RULES" dropdown at the top of the forum, go to "CODEX/FACTORY RULES" and find ALL the rules, guidelines, and outlines relevant to creating in Codex or Factory there. The information one needs to properly follow the rules within both are...frankly, in several places.

PROPOSAL:
Compile our various sectional Rulesets and guides all in one place. I am not suggesting moving the actual ruleset threads, but getting together a list of links and creating short descriptions for each to provide in the CODEX/FACTORY RULES page for ease of reference and accessibility.

What is relevant to creating in both Codex and Factory?
What are the various standards posted for the sections?
What is essential for every member, new and old, to be aware of and know in order to follow the rules we've created?

Let's get brainstorming.

[member="Spencer Varanin"] [member="Cira"] [member="Valiens Nantaris"] @All RPJs, CJs, FJs

Personally I think it would be helpful if all of the required rules pertaining to the Factory and Codex were drawn up and placed into a single thread for the Factory, and a single thread for the Codex. Put an index at the top with quick links to each section, but every rule should be clearly available in a single thread so that people don't have to go searching through countless linked threads to find what they need. If everything is together with a small index at the top to take you to the section you're looking for within the thread it will be so much cleaner to get the information.

I have to agree with [member="Jamie Pyne"]. We can't have members trawling through half a dozen relevant threads to find the rules: if it were me, I'd do ONE thread with multiple posts, each one listing the rules for a) all submissions and then, b) individual submissions of a particular type. The Restricted/Banned materials list should be posted in both places, to make it absolutely clear. So, yeah, you're definitely on the right lines.

I can't speak for the Factory, but for the Codex, I'd want to see something along these lines:

- General submission rules
- Rules for Species Creation
- Rules for Planet Creation
- Rules for Location Creation
- Rules for NPC Creation
- Outline of the submission and judgment process
- Handy hints/tips

All in one thread. 7 posts, one after the other, each one linked in the first post (at the very top). That'd streamline things considerably, and mean people had to go to just one place to find everything they need to know. So far we've got the Codex Standardised Rules, but those don't go through what we look at and what we look for - and, let's be honest, most of our time with a submission is spent telling people things that should be fairly obvious and asking them to add them in. We'd save a lot of time and energy (as well as speeding up the process) if we're clearer on expectations from the get-go.

I'd be quite willing to write anything needed to that effect, by the by.

[member="Silencia"]
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to do a Factory / Codex dropdown sub-menu like we have for Faction rules?
b7444a208b8bd1e96d34a052994b80c0.png

That way we can simply put all of the rules/regulations/etc into one place

I completely agree with [member="Darth Vitium"] if thats possible. We already have a plug on that page. We can modify that to have a dropdown menu to the necessary threads we want to send them to. It's perfect and we don't need to add more sub forums to the board.

[member="Darth Vitium"]

That is precisely what I had in mind. However what I don't want is to have 10+ links for a secondary drop down. 6 at the very most. The less links they have to click the better.

That is why what Tir and Jaime are talking about, in compiling all the rulesets and guidelines into one area for Codex and Factory respectively is so important.

1. The current combined general rules.
  2. Factory Development Standards
  3. Codex Development Standards
  4. Factory Rules (the specific ones that are currently all over the place)
  5. Codex Rules (Ditto)
  6. Canon Items & Companies
[member="Silencia"]

Darth Vitium said:
  1. The current combined general rules.
  2. Factory Development Standards
  3. Codex Development Standards
  4. Factory Rules (the specific ones that are currently all over the place)
  5. Codex Rules (Ditto)
  6. Canon Items & Companies
[member="Silencia"]
I think this is as good a start as any. I will work on compiling Codex rules and guidelines this weekend.

[member="Spencer Varanin"] I could use your input here unless you want [member="Darth Vitium"] to head this up for Factory?

[member="Silencia"]

That layout is actually how I'd want it. Possibly have it if we can have the drop down - have it be called

Creation Forums > Codex> Codex stuff
> Factory > Factory stuff

Think by doing that it cleans it up a bit more and people aren't confusing things from codex for factory and vise versa. Also those are [member="Darth Vitium"] opinions and they do not reflect my own. I just hadn't had the moment to sit down and go over things. Vacation at work is over so :p had to get some stuff going again.

Also I'll be drafting and collecting the rules this weekend. Going camping with boyfriend and his family, but I'll have the evening after I freeze my tush off finding a xmas tree in the mountains.

Spencer Varanin said:
Also those are Darth Vitium opinions and they do not reflect my own. I just hadn't had the moment to sit down and go over things. Vacation at work is over so had to get some stuff going again.
No one said they were anyone's opinions but her own.

Glad we're on the same page.

Restricted and Banned mats should definitely be in rules in the top drop downs.

It could be combined with a consolidated list from codex and factory of "stuff we always ask to be developed before being submitted"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom