Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private This Gilded Cage

"I shall cherish him dearly" he promised, "Both when you are and are not present." It seemed only right. Two could cherish one, right? Just as one could cherish two. And oh, he intended on cherishing two where he could.
With the apology came a thoughtfulness from Darien that lingered in the brief stretches of silence between them. He could tell that the man was torn in some way or another, but when he did finally respond his words were strong. Inviting... Commanding, in a way. Soon... Something to make it up to him that was soon revealed or done?
Now it was Theryn's turn to ponder. Only he tried to make it seem as though he wasn't. Instead he nodded his head, and peeked up at Darien. Then he smiled, and turned his sights down to the flowers now lay scattered around. That smile fast dropped away, just as quickly as it had come. His poor blossoms. Attention turned toward them, and no doubt finding Darien's gaze there too, he tried to seize the moment. "It is such a shame to see them crushed underfoot, is it not?" He sighed a very genuine sigh. "It's never nice to see your favourite flowers destroyed."
As he brought up the topic of favourite flowers, he delicately reached out to brush against Darien's mind. Gently, as unintrusively as he could, he gleaned just the very top layer of surface thoughts - not for words, but for pictures. And once he saw what it was Darien pinned to the phrase 'favourite flower' the vines around them began to shift and swirl, fresh blooms rising from it, large purple flowers soon budding into existence.
Theryn bit his lip, gently plucked one, and set it into Darien's hair alongside the other. He even went so far as to put one in his own hair, as though marking himself in some primitive fashion. "I hope to always find ways to make you happy" he whispered, though how long he would have to do that he did not know. Hours? Days? When would the cloak of death settle over him?
He felt a little nauseous to think on it, and thus was doubly, triply grateful when the distraction came in the form of Darien's gentle, teasing touch.
They were soon brokering new avenues neither had really delved into before, testing the waters so to speak to see how far they could push it. Eager to see what would come from it.
Right until the moment Theryn put his foot in his mouth. His eyes widened as a sudden change overcame Darien after the declaration that he was being too bold was uttered. Theryn blinked, feeling all at once the coldest he ever had once Darien's hands were gone from his feet, then a flash of heartbreak as tears began to fall and the man sobbed his apologies.
"Shh, shh," Theryn soothed, releasing his hold of the man's shirt to instead wrap his arms around him and pull him close. "I was just teasing, Petal, everything's okay, I promise. you could never be too much, never be too bold, not truly... Please, breathe for me Darien, I don't want you to regret it really. I'm sorry, I pushed too far too fast."
He ran a hand up to the back of Darien's head and tried to rest it back upon his shoulder, the other arm wrapped tightly around him. "It's okay."

There was no doubt in Darien's mind that Stuffty would be cherished and protected by Theryn. Theryn had cherished and protected him so far and he seemed so earnestly kind. A moving embodiment of happiness and unrepressed optimism. Knowing now just some of what he had been through Darien wondered how he did it but he would not yet pry. Why talk of thunderstorms and hail when the sun was shining?

His chosen means of dealing with Theryns apology met no resistance but it obviously sparked Theryn into thinking. you could practically hear the clicking gears in his mind as pondered over what had been said. It was sweet the way that he tried to hide what he had been doing. Darien was just relieved that his words had been pleasing enough. He hungered for the price's approval now in a way he had not hungered for the approval of anyone in so long.

Mismatching eyes gazed at him and then down at the ground. The vines looked sad now, the stems broken and flattened by hooves and feet. The flowers were crushed and in pieces. Devastation and he worried that Theryn would be sad but if he was he did not show it beyond his words and the initial sigh. "I'm sorry it happened" Darien replied. An expression of sympathy that others including possibly Theryn himself, though he seemed to walk as if his feet would not leave footprints in even the softest snow, had damaged the vines. Remorse of his own too though for he was sure he had done at least some damage.

He felt nothing as his mind was probed, or at least nothing he identified as such of all that his father taught him he never taught him to defend his thoughts. So it was a surprise when the very flowers he had seen flashed in his mind's eye at the mention of favourite flowers began to appear on the vines. They were beautiful not least because they came from Theryn and lifted from the pulp of the recent strife. More good coming out of the bad they had just been through.

Those misty eyes of his were wide as he watched the vines snake around them. Brushing his hands as they stayed clasped over Theryn's feet the vines tickled enough to make his confident smile become a more soft and vulnerable one. Then a purple bloom was plucked for him and settled in his hair, He shivered again as Theryn's fingers brushed against his scalp then hummed happily. As if that were not sweet enough Thery placed a purple bloom in his own hair. It suited him and Darien's mind immediately wondered if he could make such a thing from glass. Wouldn't a glass flower crown suit Theryn so wonderfully?

He would need to be looked after and treated carefully if he wore a crown of As glass. That was a thought that pleased Darien.

As did Theryn's hope of always making him happy. Darien was beet red. Flushed with embarrassment at the excesses of the tender attention "I ... Thank you" In the absence of anything else thank you seemed best. He did not wish to talk about all the unknowns of the future so for now it would need to be enough to simply thank his new ... whatever it was that Theryn was and would be to him.

It was perhaps these words that pressed him to be bold. Too bold he'd been told.

Though as fast as his reaction had come Theryn had swept in to hold him and comfort him. He promised Darien was not too bold that he was just playing along and that made Darien feel worse. He should have known that, all the signs had been there and Darien had made a fuss. Even as he was pulled in tight he was still apologising frantically into the air and then into Theryn's shirt. Eventually, he began to breathe more deliberately. slowing himself as he clung to Theryn and making his brain settle.

It was a while before he spoke "I'm sorry ... " he said again but without the sobbing, only sniffles of his distress remained now as he continued "I feel so stupid, I just heard too bold and panicked ... I'm not used to being bold or to flirting ... I was trying to flirt by the way I hope you knew"

That was a stupid thing to say too.

It took some more time before Darien sat up again and inhaled. Made himself calm "It's time we got you outside this room" He sighed.

The talk had turned to Theryn's poor feet. Hard done too was barely the half of it but given that Darien had not properly seen the cuts and bruising of the trek to the temple he was content to let the topic lapse. He noticed that Theryn had lit up to have his feet called poor. Perhaps he just wanted a bit of attention and sympathy. He'd certainly found little of both the last two days. Much fussing of Theryn would need to follow then so that those lit up eyes would spread their warmth to the rest of his face.

"It's the effects of walking to the lawn after the trek that worry me my sweet" he confessed "But very well, I doubt we will cross any rough ground, please tell me if you get sore though ... I'll be sad if you don't" That was his caveat. He just needed to be kept informed.

Hopefully, Theryn would do that. Darien could see how worried he was as they moved down the hallways passed Rhianon's guards and then Darien's, much as he longed to help he knew that the demeanour Theryn now adopted better sold the image that he was a captive. Just a captive and not a tormentor. Not someone who had won Darien over and made his heart pound. It was still a relief when they were in his room and Theryn spoke. expressed his worry "Yes Sweetheart I made sure she was fine with all of this and that she had no conditions we are not meeting" Unless Theryn meant entering Darien's room in which case Rhianon didn't know but it wasn't really her choice exactly.

Darien needed a cloak and he wasn't leaving Theryn in the corridor.

Theryn needed Stuffty.

The bear was worn by the passage of a time and a great many scrapes. He was not as plump as he once was and there were small scorch marks on him and places where his fur was pulled in from rough stitches put in to patch him up. All the same, it was clear he had once been expensive and was very well-loved. Darien's scent was imbued into him. Tea, Bergamon and Cigarillo smoke ... The slightest hint of whiskey (From fathers declining days) and to top it all off the smoke of the crash that had put many of those scorches on Stuffty.

He left Theryn to get his snuggles in and went to find a cloak. He had not expected to hear the music of the harp filling his rooms. He forgot that there were people who knew what a harp was. Venturing back into the main room he leant on a door frame "You know it took thirteen tries with a Zaathri craftsman to get that harp ... " He began before trailing off as he saw the cuts and bruises on the soles of Theryn's feet. Minor injuries really but they stood out against his pristine skin and looked sore.

"Poor Feet"

Darien sank down behind him and stroked his fingers over the hard-done-to soles. Healing channelled through his fingers. Darien was not good at healing but his feelings for Theryn at least made something happen. It would feel nice if nothing else resulted. Certainly, he could not banish all the hurt but he would soothe it if Theryn let him.

Theryn Hearthfire Theryn Hearthfire

Darien's softly spoken words of sympathy left him feeling as fresh faced as the blooms which soon blossomed from the snaking vines and entwined the pair at the feet. It wasn't even a conscious act on Theryn's part, he'd mostly just thrown caution to the wind and allowed them to grow where they pleased so long as Darien could see. Clearly they'd picked up on something deep down. Something bubbling within.
He could see the surprise on the man's face, the way in which it softened his features yet widened his eyes, intensifying all the more once he realized what it was that had begun to unfurl. Those purple petals plucked straight from his perfect mind. Darien shivered to have the plucked flower settled within his hair, and Theryn just stared at him, now with both pink and purple set against opposing ears, and wondered what other colours he could bring to life against those sandy blond strands. A crown of flowers. He'd make him a crown of living flowers, if he could, an impish, fae-like laurel wreath full of colour and vitality.
A most worthy magnum opus.
The thanks were met with a small shake of his head. "It is the flowers who thank you, Petal... For within your hair they shine even brighter."
Darien shone too, at least until his eyes misted over. Even then, in Theryn's opinion, though it was a far more somber, fragile flare of vulnerability and sorrow. Theryn found himself all the more drawn to the man then, for it was rare to find an individual willing to wear their heart, their emotions, on their sleeve. It was as though he was suddenly feeling Darien's emotions for himself, so intensely were they portrayed upon the man's face, within his body.
Theryn did not try to hasten the process along, he did not say anything either, he just hummed softly, stroked Darien's hair, and held him as tightly and for as long as was necessary. When the man slackened up ever so slightly, he continued to hold him. Cooing soft sounds of reassurance.
Apologies came again, this time underpinned with distress-filled sniffles instead of full blown sobs. Darien went on to call himself stupid, or at least refer to the way in which he was acting as stupid, and the passivity Theryn had upheld so as not to interrupt some much needed catharsis on the man's part faded all at once.
"Don't do that" he chided oh so softly, no anger or annoyance in his tone just concern and care. "Please... Emotions aren't always rational, but that does not make you stupid for feeling them. I knew you were flirting, Dari-darling, or at least... I hoped you were." He ran a hand up against Darien's cheek, and delicately brushed away the residual tears. "Are you okay, Petal?"
"Here" he fast added, as he reached out a hand and drew a pitcher of water toward them, one glass lazily following behind. It poured itself, and then the glass settled down before Darien though it was Theryn who reached for it and delicately brought it to the man's lips. "You'll be dehydrated, Blossom, and then your head will hurt. Please, drink... It will make everything better."
He tipped up Darien's head by the chin gingerly and just long enough for him to at the very least sip at the water, before placing the glass to one side and leaning his back to the bookcase, pulling the man against himself so that his head could rest on Theryn's chest while he recovered. No rushing, nor did Theryn try to find something to do in the meantime, no, he just sat, and hummed, and stroked, until Darien chose for himself to sit up, until Darien claimed it was time to go.
"Yes, please," he breathed in relief. Oh to stretch his legs and feel the grass beneath his feet once more. Excitement and nerves rose up within him, and though he was timid as he walked the halls excitement ultimately won out.
Darien slipped in a pet name of his own, going so far as to refer to Theryn as my sweet, and then it was his turn to blush deeply. His heart fluttered, as though all of the butterflies which had been occupying his stomach suddenly sought refuge in his chest. More than that though, it was the words surrounding the phrase. Worried, sad, Darien truly wanted to help, wanted him not to suffer any further, and Theryn didn't rightly know what to do with that information. So he just nodded as though momentarily dumbfounded. A slow, lethargic nod at that. Then they were off.
Once safely shut within the God's room, he fast found his fears wicked away. Rhiannon knew, had signed off on it. "Okay... Good." He didn't say it aloud, but that woman scared him. Her initial response to meeting him had been chilly at best, and it had only gone downhill from there. Barely two sentences into their exchange and she'd been threatening his life.
Look where that had gotten him.
The Sweetheart softened such somber thoughts, though. Spurred him on as he crossed the room toward their prize. Stuffty was in dire need of some tender care and rejuvenation. Unsightly seams had been hastily sewn in by inexperienced hands, much of the stuffing was missing, leaving some limbs thin and misshapen, and scorch marks singed the poor bear's fur.
I simply must fix it he decided, even as he hugged the teddy close quite contentedly. He wouldn't change a thing about it inherently, just see him plumped again and those seams redone. The singes added character, told a story, and if he started replacing those bits then where would it end? It wouldn't.
Soon he and Stuffty were knelt before the harp, soft notes gliding gracefully through the air. Darien reemerged, remarking on how long it had taken for one of the natives to understand what he was asking for, and though his fingers softened up in their plucking, made the sounds quieter, he did not entirely let up. It felt euphoric to play again. The man soon trailed off, though, leaving whatever he was going to say unspoken.
Theryn worried he'd done something wrong, though he focused that nervous energy into the harp and played it away. Formed beautiful melodies from his fears.
He soon discovered why he'd halted in his words... Darien had seen the state of his feet. That had Theryn stopping quite immediately, and he shifted his stance so that he was now sitting, not kneeling. So that he could hide them from view. At least, he tried to. Darien was much faster than he, already had fingers traveling down the soles. "It's nothing, really" he tried to brush off, willing the tone of his voice to be light and airy.
Only as the stroking continued he found himself exhaling jumpy breaths of relief. A warmth flooded across his feet, in more places than Darien even touched, and Theryn's head hung forward, shoulders slackening, as he succumbed to the rhythm and the warmth of it.
His mind softened, until he felt as though he was floating on a pillowy cloud.

Something kept pulling them together. Or at least Darien was being pulled toward Theryn and he hoped the same was true in reverse, As Theryn caused his vines to repair and bloom again that became doubly true with both boys soon entwined by the vines growing around their feet. Not trapped but certainly held as one. He didn't know if Theryn had snared them both on purpose or not but it was sweet in either eventuality. It was all sweet and good. In the comfort of Theryns affections, he could forget why they were there. He had really for in the whole time he'd been with him he had conducted no assessment of the threat Theryn might pose.

Well unless hugging him and defending him were counted as an assessment.

Theryn's compliment only ensured the burning blush in his cheeks showed no sign of fading and left Darien in a position where he still had no idea what to say. All he could really do was reach up his hand and softly touch the bloom at either ear. Touch and imagine what Theryn was seeing. He had to remind himself to be as kind as Theryn as he did.

Darien spent much too long blubbing and weeping. It was not godly behaviour. It was not even gentlemanly behaviour, showing emotions was fine but getting so emotional over something he now clearly saw was teasing a reciprocation of his own teasing no less he felt foolish and weak-willed. No gentleman ought to behave that way. Certainly no god. He might have spiralled deeper and deeper in his own head if Theryn hadn't chided him. At first, Darien thought he was telling him to stop crying but it was fast apparent that he was in fact telling Darien not to beat himself up. Normally Darien struggled to silence his self-doubt but with Theryn's command it all faded and he nodded Bolstered by the reassurance and with the sense of awareness not to apologise ... again.

"I'm okay now" he confirmed certainly, he would be okay ... a nagging pain was starting to threaten his head but ... he'd be okay, they just had to get Theryn outside.

Theryn had better ideas though, moving a pitcher of water and glass over to them as Darien shifted onto his bottom. He had to drink he knew that Theryn was right and he made to pour the water himself but Theryn was there first. Darien didn't even have to lift the glass Theryn did and tipped up his head too. Handling everything so that all Darien had to do was reach up to take the glass and sip until it was drained. He did drain it even as Theryn freed him to put the glass down. It would be better for him and better for Theryn.

He thought he was better then, ready to go out and tackle the world again but as Theryn pulled him back against his chest and hummed in his ear Darien realised that he was still not ready to go quite yet. Just a few moments more nestled her in the encompassing aura of the prince. All the upset being pulled out of him by those stroking hands upon his body.

He took his few moments and then some extra besides but eventually he was ready and they were off on their adventure out of the gilded cage.

The discovery of the sore spots on Theryn's feet halted their adventure again though and it was Theryn's turn to be soothed and looked after even if he insisted the scuffs and scrapes were nothing. Darien hummed in disapproval "They aren't nothing" He could admit they weren't too bad but all the same they were something. Something that he was sure caused Theryn some level of discomfort. He wanted to help and he would, having gotten in before Theryn could hide away again.

His fingers moved carefully over the sore spots healing as best he could. He was making only minimal impact on the sorest-looking spots but his efforts did at least seem to comfort Theryn "I'm not much good at healing" he confessed with a frown "But If you will sit on the bed I'll do what I can to help" At the very least the stroking and rubbing might ease out some of the muscle pain. Hopefully, Darien had enough innate skill to make his touch soothing and relaxing if nothing else.

"Just a few minutes then we will go to the grass ... It will make me happier about things"

Theryn couldn't hide his feet in time, and nor would Darien allow him to view it as just nothing. There was a disapproving undertone in his words and his humming which took him by surprise, kept him from fighting the matter. He didn't want Dari disappointed with him, and he didn't even know why that was. They had just met and yet it felt as though they'd been in this room for a thousand years already. He too had quite forgotten that Darien's purpose here had likely been to find out information, that felt so insignificant next to whatever this was.
And frankly he had no clue what it was.
His back was still to Darien, he had been facing the harp after all, and with his head hung as it was he couldn't see anything that was happening only feel it, hear it. The Force flowed wistfully around and through him, and he remained silent. Stunned, but contented also.
Then the silence was broken, and he was being urged toward the bed. He didn't rise immediately, not until Darien had stopped and stood, but then he pulled himself up to his feet, strummed the strings of the harp, and turned to face him. Stuffty was back in his grasp.
He was about to ask why they couldn't do this outside, before reality struck him like a wrecking ball. Oh, right, because he was a prisoner here. He was on trial. "Okay" he hummed, as he softly treaded across the room and settled upon the bed as Darien had wanted him to from the start. If he had just done so, he'd never have had Darien see the state of his feet.
But then, if he had.. he'd never have heard the room light up with the soft vibrations of plucked melodies.
"I promised to make you happy" he said, with a small nod of his head. Yes, if this would make Dari happy then so be it. "Is the garden nice, Petal? Sunny..?"
Odiir, he hoped it was sunny.

For a moment it was not clear what Theryn would do. He had not been keen on Darien seeing the lingering and inconvenient effects of his capture. Nor had he wanted them given attention when they were seen. All the same, Darien had seen them and there was a strong compulsion in him to do something about them now that he had. He wouldn't have had it in him to push Theryn if he had refused. Nor did he want to risk offending the prince or scaring him off. He was offering something that might be considered very intimate after all.

The force flowed around them but Darien was struggling to draw it into the healing. He had never really been taught to channel the force in this way but he knew it could be used to heal. He had used it to heal and he had to try his best. The force also gave him no clue as to what Theryn was thinking to do though he reached out to try and detect Theryn's motives. He didn't dare probe his mind though. He wouldn't invade his privacy in that way.

When Theryn did rise it was accompanied by a last strum of the harp. Despite everything that made Darien smile. It was like they were in a holo film where things had soundtracks. His smile only grew to see Theryn still holding Darth Stuffty close to him. The man even agreed to rest on the bed.

Had Theryn asked why Darien could not tend him outside he would not have said it was because Theryn was a prisoner. That aspect had not even crossed his mind. He had wanted to do what he could in this room only because he had not wanted to make Theryn wait in discomfort a moment longer. It did seem more right to do it in here though where Theryn could have pillows and privacy. Though perhaps Theryn would have found it more pleasant in the garden.

It became clear that Theryn agreed out of obligation. He had agreed to make Darien happy and this was his way of doing that. It made the Cordel boy blush but he settled in front of Theryn at the foot of the bed all the same. One leg crossed the other hanging off the bed as he placed a pillow in his lap and reached to rest Theryn's feet on it.

As his hands again returned to a careful motion of soft strokes and firmer presses his face twisted in concentration and various thoughts showed on his face. He had never really touched another person. Not like this not with the strange feelings he was facing. Not with his mind screaming at him that his every touch had to be perfect because the person he was touching deserved the best. He seldom wanted to hurt but with Theryn simply wanting not to hurt was not enough.

The other man's skin was soft and cold. Darien worried silently about that as his voice turned instead to answer the questions Theryn had posed, trying his best to rub soothing heat into the chilly extremities. "The weather is sunny" he answered "I assume the sun reaches the garden but I'm not sure, I've never come here before you have actually been here ... in the temple I mean ... longer than me" Though of course Darien was free to wander far more of it. "We will explore it together"

Quite unprompted he moved on to give more information about himself. "I actually live in a city in the desert called Mercuitie" he explained eyes fixed on his hands as he tried to heal and calm the irritation present on Theryn's skin. "It's a city in the desert, growing things is hard there but we get by and the Ziggurat I live in as a garden near the top, turf was sourced from a less dry climate and I traded for it so I could have grass and flowers, I'm sure you would make my garden even better though"

By the time he had finished speaking he had spent what energy he could on healing Theryn and no more benefit was being derived though his work was far from perfect. It took him a moment longer to realise and cease his gentle attention.

"I bet you're desperate to get outside ... " he looked up guiltily "I won't keep us from the garden any longer" he promised and cautiously shifted Theryn's feet from his lap to stand "I'll take you now"

Theryn Hearthfire Theryn Hearthfire

Darien's look of concentration was incredibly endearing. With his feet rested upon the pillow, Theryn had begun to lean back, intent on laying down and peering up at the ceiling the way he'd been doing for days now in his own room. But seeing that focus, he propped himself up on his shoulders, still lounging back, and just watched as the contours of his face shifted. Miniscule lines forming in his brow, his cheeks, that tiny wrinkle at the bridge of his nose.
It was too much, too cute.
Compared to his frozen feet, Darien's touch was delightfully warm. Almost painfully so, in fact, but it was a price he was willing to pay just to feel his soft hands. He tingled and shivered slightly, then slumped back. Thankfully the conversation proved enough of a distraction to keep him from going too crazy; how Darien managed to affect him so was anyone's guess.
Sunny, the man claimed. His heart leapt to hear it, he could just about feel the warm sun rays on his skin. "I'd like that" he said of exploring it together. Not that he had a choice, if he wanted to explore it had to be with someone, he was just extra glad it was Darien and not the icy Goddess.
Darien began to open up about himself, his own living situation, and Theryn peeked up at him with his hands under his head as he did so. "Mercuitie" he echoed, rolling the word across his tongue as though savouring the taste of it. "I'm sure it's as divine as you are, Deri-Dear. I must admit, I am not used to deserts... I don't recall ever visiting one, though I have seen them in books. My homeworld is all ice and snow, evergreen trees. And Aurum? Well... Aurum is a veritable hive of life, a dense jungle. Do you like that? Greenery, I mean? I'd love for you to see Aurum one day."
Eyes fixed back up on the ceiling and for a moment, just a moment, he was brought back down to earth. There was a very high chance it wouldn't be alongside Theryn if he did visit. "Mysa lived there with me, she could show you around. I'm sure she'd love that." His sister did miss Darien dearly, after all, she had spoken of him often.
Thankfully talks turned to the garden again, as Darien slowed then halted his work and suggested they leave.
"I appreciate your care" he said, as he flexed and wriggled his toes. His feet certainly felt better for it. "I simply must return the favour, if you'll allow." Not here though, Darien was correct he really did need to go outside now that he knew he was permitted. So he rose to his feet, waited for Darien to collect anything he might need, then followed the man down into the gardens.
The moment his feet touched the ground outside Theryn practically squealed in delight. All at once, without warning, he broke into a sprint away from the Temple. It would very much look as though he was trying to flee, it definitely had that sort of energy behind it, like he was making a break for it, but then his feet were in the grass, and his heart leapt for it to be so. He halted and turned full circle, arms outstretched as he soaked it all in.
Turning became spinning, and then spinning dancing, and soon he was leaping this way and that as though belonging to some great ballet company.
"Thank you, thank you, thank you" he sang, as he finally remembered that Darien was there too. He raced over to the man and took him by the hand without thinking, dragging him to the center of the lawn to dance alongside him despite the lack of music or rhythm.
Theryn didn't care, he never needed a reason or accompaniment to dance in delight.

Perhaps Darien was biased by the knowledge that Theryn was a prince but he looked so fitting lay back in stillness and repose. Not lifting a finger as he was served. Though Darien noted he did keep his head lifted. Unwilling to free Darien from his gaze.

Did Darien want to be free?

While Theryn obsessed over all the lines forming in Darien's face he was focused, in his brief glances up from his work, on all the strain coming out of Theryn's . It was not a perfect resolution by any stretch. Theryn still had things on his mind that Darien could not take away ... well unless he simply made Theryn forget them but that did not seem safe. Still for its incompleteness seeing relaxation bloom on Theryn's face gave Darien relief. He even forgot to feel guilty for abandoning his duty.

How could he not though? when even know Theryn's eyes were like tunnels around Darien that made him forget anything else that was going on around him.

Theryn soon settled back down with a shiver. His feet began to feel warmer too which convinced Darien that he was helping. Theryn hadn't raised any concerns or issues so that was a good sign too and he seemed pleased by the prospect of the sun coming soon. He even said he liked the idea of exploring with Darien. doubt whispered in Darien's mind that it was the exploration and outdoors he liked. Doubt would have Darien think his presence either added nothing or made the experience less nice but he couldn't give into that.

The way Theryn moved the sound of Mercuitie around in his mouth made Darien feel a new bout of heat. Darien almost made him say it again. If the words were forming on his lips they were quelled by Theryn declaring that the city must be as divine as him and calling him Deri-Dear. Theryn was soon bubbling over with information on his home planets. One a wintery world of green trees and soft snow. He remembered very well Mysa's tales of the place. The other though ... A jungle. That was like nothing Darien had ever known before. He spoke of showing Darien the jungle some day then his face dropped and he announced that Mysa would show him having lived there too. Darien knew why Theryn brought up Mysa ... he thought himself a dead man walking.

Well he would live if Darien was still alive to protect him.

"I like greenery as much as the next man" he chuckled "As for seeing Aurum I'd love to but I shan't let you put all the guiding responsibilities off on Mysa ... Prince or not you will give me the tour" He stroked a little more gently for a moment and then suggested they move to the garden. A distraction and a way to ensure Theryn didn't miss out.

He was left a little stupified as Theryn once again resorted to childlike wiggling of his toes. It seemed he had done well and Theryn desired to return the favour. Quite subconsciously he answered "I would allow you anything" He realised right away what he'd said but it didn't halt them from venturing outside and Darien hoped his unguarded response might be forgotten. Perhaps Theryn returning the favour would be too. Time would tell but before that they were to go to the garden.

All was calm until they got to the divide between indoors and out. Then Theryn was bolting squealing in delight and sprinting like a man possessed, putting his refreshed feet to good use. It looked like he was fleeing and as Darien gave chase he feared he might be. Panic rose in the man and his mind ran with all that would happen. To himself ... To Theryn ... to his people. The relief when the prince stopped in the grass and began to spin was palpable. Dari almost cried in a wave of calm and relief. Unburdened as he watched Theryn turn and spin and finally dance.

He squeaked when Theryn grabbed his hands and dragged him into the spinning dance. "You scared me half to death" he laughed "What if someone saw you? They'd lock you in the dungeon ... or worse" that was whispered frantically as he tried to keep up with Theryn "Please be careful"

Dari was adamant that it would be he and not Mysa who directed the tour of the world he governed. It would have been oh so easy to reject that notion, to give in to apathy and pessimism, but instead Theryn beamed a smile his way.
"Yes, it will be me conducting it," he assured him, "But I'm sure Mysa would be absolutely elated to join us. How could she pass up on time with her beloved Darien and Darth Stuffty?"
Claims of anything left Theryn just as stupefied and for a moment he just gawped at Darien, before a lopsided grin formed upon his lips. "Oh... I'll remember that..." The grin didn't go away until they reached the door to leave. Thankfully being outside banished the fretfulness which had temporarily overcome him in the halls once more.
He had no idea of how bad it looked on the outside, until poor Darien was asking quite frantically for him to be more careful. Then he paused, frowned for a moment, and sighed. "Oh, yes, of course. Sorry Deri-Dear, I wasn't thinking straight. I'll be sure not to put you in the line of trouble again, darling."
Keeping one hand in the other man's, he reached up to gently style his hair back to how it had been with delicate fingertips before gesturing down to the floor.
"Sit, sit, you simply must if I'm to see your feet just as well tended to as my own."
Their afternoon flew by, much to Theryn's dismay, being out in the sun was an unexpected luxury and one he knew he'd never again take for granted. It ended far too early, and reminders of his tumultuous position here rang through his mind once he was back in his room. Alone... Or, well, as alone as a boy with a dragon could ever be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom