Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thermal Shielding

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
It has been brought to my attention in a conversation today that people are misusing thermal shielding. Thermal shields are not special or more powerful than normal shielding. The only reference to them made in the only episode they were ever in is that missiles can not be fired out through them while they are up which is pretty much the way all particle shielding works.

In the realm of wookieepedia, people can pretty much make up anything they want and post it and edit a page. someone along the way added a part about them being more powerful without any canon to back it up. That is why the canon entry for thermal shielding no longer states they are more powerful.

so for future debate Thermal shielding is not special or more powerful than normal shielding. There is no canon reference stating this and if you watch the episode you will see there is no implication that they are more powerful beyond them being dreadnaught level shielding. You have to remember the Invincible was a 2200 meter dreadnaught, not a normal providence.

for reference please watch the following episode of Clone wars. Cat and Mouse

[member="Reshmar"]
So, they are only detrimental in your opinion vs standard Deflector Shields, as they are stated as taking a longer time to recycle over standard shielding.

Its pretty standard correlation that a trade-off must mean a strength exists otherwise, they thing wouldn't exist (If its rare and placed on a flagship for a renowned admiral, it wouldn't be ONLY worse than standard shielding). If folks wanna call it slight more powerful (Legends Wookiee still says that), I don't see a problem, its pretty normal Status Quo, 1 Weakness=1 Strength.

Chaos seems to have generally accepted they are slightly more resilient than normal Deflector Shields as well.

Draco Vereen said:
Its pretty standard correlation that a trade-off must mean a strength exists otherwise, they thing wouldn't exist (If its rare and placed on a flagship for a renowned admiral, it wouldn't be ONLY worse than standard shielding). If folks wanna call it slight more powerful (Legends Wookiee still says that), I don't see a problem, its pretty normal Status Quo, 1 Weakness=1 Strength. Chaos seems to have generally accepted they are slightly more resilient than normal Deflector Shields as well.
The actual source material contradicts this notion.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
Draco Vereen said:
(If its rare and placed on a flagship for a renowned admiral, it wouldn't be ONLY worse than standard shielding).
it was a massive ship for the time. twice as big as any other ship in mass production and other than Malevolence the largest ship to appear in the clone wars series.

Draco Vereen said:
Chaos seems to have generally accepted they are slightly more resilient than normal Deflector Shields as well.
this is a bad practice. if we were to go by our own opinions of how shields act then shields would not stop any projectiles because it has precedence in Empire At War of being as such. The whole thermal shields being more powerful has no precedence at all. just someone editing id wiki to suit their own opinions.

I just don't see the issue with this particular subject.

Reshmar said:
this is a bad practice. if we were to go by our own opinions of how shields act then shields would not stop any projectiles because it has precedence in Empire At War of being as such. The whole thermal shields being more powerful has no precedence at all. just someone editing id wiki to suit their own opinions.
You are ignoring other Canon for Some Canon to prove a point. Its not relevant to this discussion at all. At no point in my post did I state some obscure canon or a one mention in a game to discredit all other canon precedence. Chaos also doesn't see Stormtrooper armor as "Impervious to Slugthrowers" even though that is mentioned in the wookiee.

What I am saying is, I don't see an issue with some folks stating them as more resilient. Its just a tradeoff for an existing thing. If it is that big an issue, it should be policed with more fervor. Just my 2 cents.

If you want to have a more powerful thermal shield than standard, knock yourself out, but the standard thermal shielding has no canonical basis as being more powerful than the standard deflector shield beyond what has been repeatedly edited into the legends wookieepedia page. The direct source, itself, does not state it is any more powerful than standard shielding, only that it has a delayed recycling state.

Because of this contradiction, I'm wary of believing the edited wookieepedia page over the actual episode it debuted in The Clone Wars without some other, more in-depth, canonical basis behind this notion.

Clone Wars, and Canon in general is all over the place with technical data. Just a week or so ago, canon was quoted to me as Starfighter Proton Torpedoes as having an effective range of 200 meters, which is 100% useless in Air to Air combat, yet for some reason, canon has them having been used in Air to Air all the time.

In the same vein Star Destroyers have more energy output than a couple of cities combined. A Nimitz can put out 1100Megawatts each. A Star Destroyer puts out 7.73X10^20 megawatts. Or something utterly ridiculous. A Core overload of a star destroyer is realistically the end of life as we know it, thank god we aren't devoted to realism. Some is nice, too much gets us all killed forever.

Either way, point is, its not a big deal, nor is it stated as worse than, equal to (its actually called Deflector Shields in every instance but one in the episode, and there is no reference to it taking longer to activate or recycle than standard shielding for a ship that size either (Also no mention of the dreadnought being 2200 meters.)) or better than Deflector Shielding. If we are discrediting one facet because it wasn't explicitly mentioned, we have to discredit it all that wasn't explicitly mentioned. No where in the episode does it say it was stronger, but also no where does it say it took longer to recharge than standard, or that it could only be activated when fully charged. Those are all things extrapolated from watching the episode but never actually said during it.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Popo"]

I miss ur tanks man.

Draco is dead on about the ranges on warheads though. I would tend to agree with Reshmar otherwise, no need to make things any more complex than having a distinction between Particle and Ray shielding, I figure.

A distinction like what Draco is talking about can always be mentioned in the sub itself. Or subbed as tech, i suppose.

Draco Vereen said:
or that it could only be activated when fully charged.
That is actually explicitly mentioned by the droid attending the spider-evil-separatist-thing-person-I-only-watched-this-for-source-material-thing.

Person.

Right before the torpedoes hit the bridge.

So, here's the deal. The wookieepedia was edited with incorrect information, this information has been noted to be incorrect at every occurrence I can think of when it has come up in the factory, you can think of this thread as a PSA to those who were unaware of the issue that the article had false information placed on it. If you want advanced thermal shields that are better than deflector shields for X reason with Y drawback, good on you. But standard thermal shields do not have this advantage, standard thermal shields have been shown, stated, and so on, to be standard deflector shields with a delay in being able to activate the shields again and requiring shields to drop when firing.

Again, the information on the article is incorrect, and submissions which contain thermal shields will not be reviewed with that incorrect information used as a canonical basis because of this. You are free to create your own thermal shields which are better than the standard deflector shield, just like you're free to do the opposite, but a standard, vanilla, canon thermal shield has no stated or evidenced advantage to a standard deflector shield. If it comes up in another source from canon that such is the case, then such will change, but using a thermal shield in place of a deflector shield will not buy you a free pass to a massive defense rating.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Cyrus Tregessar said:
I miss ur tanks man.

If I thought I could get a quality tank through the Factory without A) having to do an irrational number of lengthy dev threads and B) getting it copied by someone else and rubber stamped with fewer weakness and far less/no dev then I'd give it a go. As it is, while that may be an exaggeration, it's not technically inaccurate.

So, while I appreciate your desire to see Moar Tanks, probably not gonna happen for a while. Just not worth the hassle nowadays for me.

That said, the Skocha and the Hotshuh MBTs are still on par with most of the stuff out there. Feel free to stop by the marketplace and take a look.

I've just been assuming that everyone has been using these Thermal Shields.

And I quote:
The only drawback to a military thermal shield was that it offered no protection against projectile or energy weapons.
:p

But seriously, "canon" isn't always in agreement with itself. The key thing to remember when making subs is that they should be balanced in comparison in some way to other standard technologies, regardless of the terminology being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom