Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There are always two...

The jedi temple on Ossus. It was home to many jedi of the order. Even though their numbers were dwindling, many lost to ways unsanctioned but still allowed by the order. Such were the state of things at present time and the thought troubled a very stern looking jedi walking through the temple hallways. His Knight robes donned to fit in, with grace and respect of this most holy of jedi sites. With the loss of Tython this was the very heart of the order nowadays. It was here that they tried to rebuild and restore what now was lost to a dangerous diversity and threatening lurking temptation for many new and old jedi alike to pursue.
Mantic never gave much attention to that his constant focus on this area was distressful to many. And those he spoke to most likely rolled their eyes at his stricter then most view on these matters.

Regardless of time, there was duty, and a jedi's duty was to heed the customs and directions of the order. Its rules perfected over time. Not static by any mean, but never rushed either.

One of the duties he now had to see to was taking a padawan. He pouted his lips as he stopped outside the large study room. If he had to choose one it would at least have to be someone who gave a damn about some old fashioned studying. Mantic was not sure he was a book worm himself. But he considered book worms more important then most others. Book worms did not start wars. They found ways to avoid them. His place was to protect them, an honorable task, but not as important as those actually being protected.

He placed his gauntlet on the frame of the door and as it opened up he peered inside. He sensed it again.
GreatLibrary.jpg

The light shift in the force. It was like a soft breeze, yet with a sting to it. He had been instructed to take a padawan just a few days earlier when he had arrived home from the war on Brental. He had not been in the mood and had been in great need of mending his own soul. Hence he gave this padawan idea little thought and focused on meditation instead. It brought calm and healing to both his sore body and hurt mind.

It was in such a meditative state, with images of war and pain, that the breeze had first come to him. He had not managed to understand it at all the first time. But then it reemerged the second and third time. He knew he had to act on it and the following days he had wandered the temple trying to pick up the "scent."

When he simply let it be, he was slowly realizing, much to his own fascination, that he was guided toward it. He had found her in the courtyard, in the dining room. Well most wherever actually.
And now - he picked it up here. It was her, it was [member="Illyana Nightshade"] - he could sense her presence clearly by now.

He breathed in deep. Taking a padawan was a serious matter to Mantic. But the force was telling him something, all the coincidences that had brought him here was no mere chance. He knew that, he felt it.

Slowly he moved through row after row of desks and shelves, passing students of all ages and species until he finally stopped in front of a young woman seated with a holopad in fron of her face.

Mantic placed a finger on the desk.

"[member="Illyana Nightshade"] - is that your birth name?" he asked with a calm yet clear voice. Looking for whatever reaction she would have against the sudden interruption of his.

Illyana had just returned to her room from a long training session moving to sit on her bed she let out a tired sigh. Looking around her room she knew there was nothing to occupy her there, and she knew there was much time until lunch. Since she had passed her initiate trials a few months ago she had not been chosen by any master. She was beginning to think that maybe she would have to go into the Jedi Service Corps. This greatly saddened the young girl she knew she was meant to be a Jedi. You'll never become a Jedi sitting in your room skulking she thought to herself. She stood glancing down at her normal creme Jedi robes with her dark brown boots, and of course she was wearing her regular dark brown utility belt the newest edition being the lightsaber she had constructed not long ago. Stretching she moved quickly leaving her room. She briefly thought on where to go before deciding to head to the large study room thinking she might look at a holopad of lightsaber combat.

A short time later Illyana was in the study room with a holopad on different opening stances in lightsaber combat. When suddenly a man placed a finger on the table she was sitting at. Looking up at the man she recognized him as a fellow Jedi. As he addressed her she set a side the holopad quickly standing she bowed. "Yes master I am Illyana Nightshade. Is there something that you need?" she asked as she stood wondering why the Knight would be talking to her or what he might need. Standing back up straight she looked up into the face of the [member="Mantic Dorn"] who was much taller than Illyana around eight or nine inches.

Mantic nodded at her. The padawan was reminding him of something, or somenone. And for short moment he said nothing, instead he took it all in and pushed himself one step further to make this crucial call.

He turned his head toward the far corner of the room. It was secluded and with less chances of disturbing anyone.

"Walk with me padawan. So that we can talk."

Mantic expected her to follow regardless. He knew that this decission would be just as important to her that it would to him. He wanted to learn more about her just to make sure this was not going to be a mistake.

[member="Illyana Nightshade"]

"Of course master." she said beginning to follow behind the Knight. "Might I know your name master?" the Padawan asked having no idea who he was other than a fellow Jedi. She studied the back of his head as she wondered what he might want to talk to her about. She looked intently as if she would find the answer to this question there somehow.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

He took steps through the enermous study hall, navigating through narrow corridors of desks and bookshelves. As they passedmore prominent jedi masters Mantic made sure to step away and making a curteous bow. While doing so he also cast a glance at [member="Illyana Nightshade"] - perhaps to check if she followed the protocoll. It was not that important these days but Mantic himself had never abandoned them.

Once the had left the main hallway of the room they climbed a short but broad stairway taking them into a large alcove. Its several meters high arch was sn impressive feat on its own and on the far end a huge window made sure to bathe the area in light.

There Mantic stopped and turned to the padawan.

"I am Mantic Dorn, jedi knight of the jedi order." he began introducing himself with a neutral voice.
"It is my understanding that you have not been appointed a master as of yet. I am here to see if that can be corrected." holding up a hand he made sure she would remain calm and let him finish.

"First I need to know more about you. Tell me of yourself. Who you are and what you are expecting from the order. Also explain what training you have taken part of so far. Please include any previous teachers that have been part of your introduction."
Mantic placed his hands inside the sleeves of the robe and prepared to listen intently.

Illyana had followed the Knights lead all the way to the large alcove bowing to the masters whenever he did. She didn't even know this was a practice, but if a higher ranking Jedi was bowing to someone she knew she probably should as well. When they eneterd into the alcove she looked up at the large arch it was certainly impressive. She looked to him as he introduced himself. She only nodded when he said he might want to be her master. Although inwardly she screamed out happily. "I'm Illyana Nightshade as you know the training I've had is that of a youngling master. I have an understanding of the force and have even become proficient in a few force powers. I have been taught by a number of different masters like all younglings. The only one of note is Tans Serta. She would help me with my lessons, and she was the one who brought me to the order. I want to become a powerful Jedi so that I might protect others." as she finished she looked to Mantic hoping he approved of her.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Mantic listened intently to [member="Illyana Nightshade"] as she gave her description. The girl had the force in her. Mantic could sense it and much like himself when he arrived to the order this was not weak powers, just uncontrolled, untrained.

"I see." he began stroking his beard as he watched her.

"And if I were to take you as my padawan would you swear to be obidient to me, accept my teachings and do your very best as my student? It will not be easy and under my supervision you will face both dangers and temptations far from the glorious tales that are attached to the jedi legends. Are you prepared for this life?" Mantic asked questioning her. He searched her feelings trying to detect any lies or hidden desires that he should be aware of.

"There is nothing wrong with waiting if you are not ready." he finished and then waited her reply.

She nodded "I do swear master, I swear to listen to your lessons, instructions, and orders so long as they follow the Jedi Code." She paused looking Mantic in the eye. "I have no problem facing dangers, but you must know I really know nothing of temptation. I was raised by the order and watched closely from a young age. I know that despite my inexperience that I am prepared for the life of a Jedi . . . if you will accept me as your student." A smile split her very serious face "I don't think I have it in me to wait any longer" She said this hoping he wold decide here and now if he wanted her as his Padawan.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

There were not as many like [member="Illyana Nightshade"] around these days. It was a reflection made by Mantic as she spoke. But he had already had that feeling. The force guide us he mused and met her eyes.

"I take the master padawan relation very serious. It is a bond between student and teacher that is rare and tender as a butterfly at the same time it is harsh and strong as the rock."

This was it, Mantic had already been preparing for his decission since he had first sensed her presence several days ago. It must have been meant to be. But now he was there intellectual as well, embracing the responsibility and idea that their relation would mean.

"Then I promise to teach you to the best of my ability - show you the way of the jedi and guide you to into the world of the force."

He placed his hand on her shoulder.

"I can not promise you anything but hard work to get there my padawan. You will feel it is unfair and at times perhaps even impossible. But stay true to your vow and I can promise you that I will not rest my tutorship until the day when you are worthy the name of master."
Mantic gave her a firm smile and let go of her shoulder.

"Now, go and return to your duties for the rest of the day. From the morning I release you from the youngling status and you will awake as my padawan."

"Make sure you get some rest as well. I expect you to meet me at the temple entrance as the first light hits the temple rooftops. We have allot of work ahead of us."

"But for now go - you will have time for questions at a later time.
Mantic added with a serious tone.

Illyana nodded "I expect no less of you than you do of me master." She bowed to Mantic "I will see you there master" she rose turning she left heading back toward the study room where she had been not that long ago. She soon arrived sitting down she began to study the holopad that was still there although the young girl didn't learn much else from it that day her excitement was to high for her to really focus on the forms. She couldn't wait until she began to learn from her new master.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Mantic watched as she left. Her excitment was not something strange to him but he knew there were hard times ahead of her. The jedi order did not pass padawans lightly and many were those found unfit.
Sometimes the failure to progress to a jedi was because the person was wrong for it, sometimes because the padawans master failed.

Left alone Mantic turned to watch the sun setting behind the huge windows. They were basking in light, a beautiful spray of color painted the cold stone floor and kept him warm.

The die had been cast and, the force willing, he would not be alone for some time now. His new padawan was his responsibility and he knew the risks of failing her. This would not only be a test for her, but one for himself as well. A test he held in great respect.

As the last rays left his face Mantic wrapped himself in his robes and headed away. He would find solitude to meditate long and hard on [member="Illyana Nightshade"] s future training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom