Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theirs Not To Reason Why

7dc86bee7fb5075c31f5096493b32d5c-dcir5id.png
Ord Janon Orbital Station
So much had changed since Thesh first landed on Bastion, in the wake of his ascension to Sith Apprentice.

Throughout the trials and tribulations he had endured since that time, the cowardly nature of the boy had begun to change, slowly but surely, and where once he might have been terrified at the prospect of heading out into the Galaxy with a complete stranger - and rightly so - now it was second nature.

Just another test, one of many.

The station which orbited Ord Janon was a pleasant enough hub of activity. Men and women drifted this way and that, some having been on the same transporter he'd arrived on from Bastion, who gave him pleasant enough glances, and others he wouldn't know from the next person who walked in. Far more aliens, too, than he was used to, though between Tehkyram and Tsisaar he had been forced to overcome his unintentional xenophobia.

It wasn't that he didn't like aliens, more so that he hadn't ever been exposed to them until recently. Now he sat, in a booth which had been agreed upon ahead of time, watching the colourful array of species' drift by. Some he recognized, others were entirely foreign to him, but he admired them all regardless.

Thesh was not sure who it was he would be meeting. He had not been given a name, or a species, or an appearance to watch out for, and yet the man - or woman - who had requested the assistance of an acolyte knew who he was. Knew his name, who to look for, and which exact booth he would be sat within.

It was rather unnerving, really.

Still, Thesh did not question it, even though Tsisaar's teachings rang in the back of his mind, because he had something now that he didn't really have back then. A genuine connection to the Force, one which he did not have to strain to draw upon. And he had discovered on more than one occasion that it was capable of alerting him to pending danger.

As he sat there, then, he did his best to focus upon it.

Didn't hurt to be prepared, after all.

Kraves arrived at the station anxious and hurried. The idea of ​​exploring Belkadan encouraged him. He was almost obsessed with knowledge. He was restless just wondering how much information, knowledge, and ancient relics might be waiting for him. Kraves arrived at the station with his eyes intent on searching for the acolyte he had requested. He wore ordinary social attire meant to go unnoticed. He was not the kind of figure who passed unnoticed naturally, being a tall, bald man and usually quite serious. He carried his saber with him, hidden in his clothes and a backpack with some equipment he might need, his clothes and his helmet. Kraves knew who and where to look, not needing the use of the force to find the acolyte. He knew that Thesh probably would not have so much trouble recognizing him if he used the force and his intuition. In a few minutes Kraves located him with his gaze, immediately heading toward him. He chose not to approach the acolyte so quickly, though he was in a hurry. He did not want to risk scaring him. Slowly Kraves approached to sit next to Thesh and make contact.

Nothing was initially said when the stranger slid into the booth with him.

He had sensed the imminent arrival of the man though for whatever reason had decided against looking around in search of him. There was no need for such, he had reasoned, because the man would undoubtedly come to their meeting point. As such it wasn't until he sat down that Thesh turned his head and glanced his way. The man was large, with darker skin and a distinct lack of hair. His expression was somber, unflinching, similar to that of many he had met throughout his time in service of the Empire, though there was nothing inherently evil or sadistic about him as there had been the others.

At least, not that the boy could tell.

Thesh wasn't sure if he was supposed to break the ice. He wasn't even sure what to refer to the man as. He didn't have a name, and though his rank was that of an Acolyte - just as Thesh's technically was - he did not know if he was his superior or not. Though in this case, he supposed he was. Thesh was here to assist and learn from the man, after all, not the other way around.

Still, Tsis' lessons resonated in the back of his mind. Rather than avert his gaze he looked the man square in the face.

"Hello," came a surprisingly strong voice, shocking even the boy who usually was meek and timid as could be. He didn't know what else to say, of course, so he said nothing else at all.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

"I suppose you're Thesh. They call me Kraves."

Kraves noticed that the boy seemed to be analyzing him. He also analyzed the boy in a way. He sure hit the description that was given. He did not really look like much. The boy was there to learn more than anything else. Either way he would have his chance to prove himself. If there is one thing that life taught Kraves, it is that appearances deceive.Without changing his serious expression, Kraves turned to the boy and said:

"We'd better not be long here, boy, we should get going and get a transport soon."

"I suppose I am!" he said, with a somewhat chipper tone, smiling at the man when he gave his name.

No titles. No formality. No superiority complex. Just a name. How refreshing that was... He couldn't remember the last time such had happened, and a visible weight seemed to lift from his shoulders.

"It's nice to meet you, Kraves. I'm ready to leave when you are!"

He had no affinity toward this place, after all, even if it was filled with wonderful species, the only reason he was there was because it was where he'd been told to meet Kraves, so if the Acolyte wished to leave then and there so be it. He even started moving to the edge of the booth, to stand up and get ready to go.

Pulling his electroblade out from its hiding place under the table, and draping his unworn robe over it, he looked across to the man and waited for them to leave.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

It looks like the kid was prepared for a fight with that hidden electroblade. Anyway, I can not blame him. It reminds me a bit of me when I was his age. I think we're going to get along after all.

"Nice to meet you too, boy," said Kraves, keeping his seriousness.

"Let's get out of this place"

Kraves keeping his seriousness and looking attentive, got up and headed out of the cabin, ready to leave that place. He clearly did not feel very comfortable in a place with so many people.

"I do not know this station very well boy, do you know where we can get a fast transport?"

He didn't say anything to begin with as they set off away from the booth and the lounge they had met within. Though he did his best to feign ignorance to it, Thesh could sense the man's discomfort at being in that particular area, perhaps it was all the people, which surprised him. Often he himself was the one filled with discomfort, the one who was unhappy with his surroundings, but today it seemed the opposite was true instead.

Thesh had quite enjoyed his time on the station.

"I'm not sure," he said, in all sincerity, when the question was posed, "I haven't been here before. But... I know the way to where the shuttle dropped me off if that helps?"

The boy already started to veer off in that direction, though he was still waiting for full confirmation. There were a series of hangars on the lower level of the station from where they presently were, that's where he'd come from, so there could be something there. Someone willing to rent a starship, or even fly them there personally.

Whatever Kraves was after. After all, Thesh didn't even fully know what they were doing yet.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

"So let's go in. Let's look for someone to rent a ship, there must be some for a good price somewhere."

Kraves then headed in the direction indicated by the boy. He kept his eyes intent, looking around and watching people. Although he disguised himself well, it was possible to see that it was not just discomfort for the place. He looked around to see if anyone was following him.

"We are going to Belkadan. I have the habit of traveling in search of ancient relics and information, anything that gives me more knowledge about the force. I consider myself a scholar."

"Try to remain discreet if possible and keep your identity a secret unless I say the opposite. Also stay alert in case we are being followed. If you have any doubt, just ask."

[member="Thesh"]

Paranoia.

Thesh became acutely aware that the man was paranoid.

Did he have enemies he was running from? Was there due cause for his suspicious nature, or was it merely something ingrained in his consciousness? The boy could not know for sure, but he supposed that if the man was to remain so alert the chances of them being harmed in any way would be slim to none. At least, without their being prior informed.

"Belkadan?" he said, as he led the way into a turbolift; in no time at all it would bring them down to the lower deck, where the hangars were. Just as was wanted, a ship rental lay almost central from their position. All manner of transport ships, shuttles, and even a few fighters, on show.

It made the boy think back to his time learning to pilot, on the way to see Miss Nilia. One day, he had decided, he would properly learn to fly a ship of his own, until then he was happy to have the occasional lesson and to watch others fly.

"I didn't pack a rebreather," the boy said, actually familiar with the world in question for once. He'd been sent there once alongside another scholar, years prior. When he was still in a phase of mourning for his home and his family. "The air there isn't good to breathe, Kraves. Trust me, I've breathed it."

That had been one of the more sadistic Sith he'd been forced to work with. He'd since learned of the man's demise, and felt genuinely happy of the fact.

He looked around, trying to see if there was anywhere to purchase such things from. In his pocket, he could feel the remnants of the credit chips he'd been provided with for the mission, enough to get him back to Bastion and then some. It had been meant for food and the likes, but a rebreather? That was just as important as eating right now.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

"As for the air of the place, do not worry, I brought some equipment for it in my backpack. I imagined you would not be prepared."

Kraves kept on watching. His suspicion and attention kept him alive for those years. He was looking around for a cheap spaceship to rent. His credit was few but enough. Maybe he needed to negotiate with the ship's owner.

"I think I see a good ship from here."

It was no big deal but for a mere transport it would do. Kraves headed for the ship and kept walking.

"Let's try to be quick"

He kept walking, alert and apparently anxious. It was not uncommon for Kraves to get excited in his travels, though he kept his seriousness much of the time. Mostly it was natural.

[member="Thesh"]

It was with some relief that he discovered Kraves had already thought that far ahead.

Of course he would have, though, he knew they were going to Belkadan. In fact, the fact he'd even doubted that was silly on Thesh's part. So he kept his mouth shut, not making any more stupid observations, and followed after the Acolyte who was presently searching for a ship.

It looked as though he had found one he liked the look of, so it was in the direction of a generic transporter that they headed. As they moved Thesh found himself looking up at the man again, studying him from where he stood. Determination was etched into his expression, but there was also an anxiety-riddled undertone.

He was probably feeling just out of place as Thesh was.

Perhaps it didn't really matter how old you got, if you didn't know where you were it was easy to feel out of your element.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

"I'll negotiate with the driver of this transport and see if you can take us and get us from Belkadan. Keep the description."

Kraves kept walking as he looked around. He looked at the boy, analyzing him. Maybe he was hungry, maybe it would be better to buy something to eat on the trip.

"Do you want to buy some food to take with us?"

Kraves asked the boy as they approached a seated man who seemed to be the owner of the ship. He realized that the ship was generic and was no big deal, but it would be more than enough, or else not draw much attention.

"Anyway, do you have any doubts about our mission?"

[member="Thesh"]

"I'll be fine," he said, with a very loose shrug, "I can go a long time without eating. Unless... Unless you want us to get food. Then we can. I could go get some, if you like, while you talk to the salesman?"

Thesh looked up at Kraves as he spoke, curious about him. He was a Sith, of that he had no doubt, yet he didn't treat Thesh like a lesser due to his age or his lack of experience. Spoke to him normally, asked him regular questions, worried over whether or not he was going to eat. It was.... Refreshing. A genuine relief. And it unnerved him slightly, though he knew it shouldn't.

"No doubts, no, my only worry was the rebreathers but... Other than that? I think it might be fun. I do have a few questions, but they'd best wait until we're alone."

No sense in talking about the mission in any great detail when there were so many aimless ears around. Even Thesh knew that, and he was far from paranoid.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

Kraves looked at the boy well as he spoke.The boy seemed surprised at the way he behaved a little. He clearly watched him a lot, which was completely normal. Better buy something to eat now than see someone faint from hunger afterwards he thought.

"Go buy something to eat while I deal with the owner of this ship."

Kraves for some reason felt sympathy for the boy, even though he had met him within minutes. Maybe it was because he remembered him when he was younger. Anyway he was curious to watch the boy during the mission. For some reason Kraves saw a lot of potential in him.

"Bring some drink for us too and stay discreet."

Anyway, it was time to leave that place, after all, there was no time to lose and Kraves did not feel comfortable with so many people around him. Now turning to the old pilot sitting on a bench, Kraves kept walking and prepared to negotiate.

[member="Thesh"]

"Okay, I can do that," he said, and almost immediately he turned and set off back through the crowd.

When he had first arrived on the Station, he'd passed by a series of stands no doubt taking advantage of the fact that most who came here had been traveling for weeks and hadn't eaten anything fresh in that time. Produce had been brought up from the world below, a smart move if you asked the boy. But there had been more to the stall than simply produce, so he figured that it might be the best place to get their food from.

It did not take him long to arrive, and after glancing over the options he selected a few pre-made sandwiches loaded with bantha meat and some leafy vegetables the boy didn't really recognize. A couple of drinks, too, and a snack for each of them, and after paying he had just enough to get him back to Bastion when all was said and done.

Next was a matter of finding his way back to Kraves, which might be easier said than done. After all when he turned to glance around himself he realized he had no idea which way he'd come from.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

After a few minutes of convexity, Kraves had already set everything up with the ship's pilot. He would take them to Belkadan and bring them back for a good price. Kraves however noticed that maybe the boy should have come back.

Maybe he got lost on the way, he thought, or maybe something else happened. Anyway, he thought it was best to go to the boy and get him out of there.

"What direction did he really go? I guess he went that way"

And then Kraves went looking for the boy, hoping that he'd actually gotten lost. Kraves followed the way to an area where food and drinks were sold at the station. The boy would probably be there somewhere, I just need to look, he thought.

"I hope I do not need the force for it, he thought aloud.

[member="Thesh"]

After turning full circle, the boy looked up at the various signs which were lit up and guided the way to various hubs of activity.

He squinted, and upon seeing one that distinctly mentioned Arrivals and Departures he let out a long sigh and set off in the direction it pointed to, his little bag of food carried in one hand. With the momentary stress fading away he began to regulate his breathing. Much to his surprise he spotted Kraves through the crowd along the way and picked up the pace to near him.

"Sorry I took so long," he began, with a soft exhale, not bothering to explain his brief blunder, "I hope you like sliced bantha meat, it smelled great!"

Tipping his head in the direction Kraves had come from he began to head back that way, now that the pair were reunited. He was glad things hadn't been worse, that he hadn't gone the entire wrong way, because his companion definitely seemed to be in a rush to leave and the last thing he wanted was to make an enemy of the man. He'd been so friendly and welcoming up until that point, after all.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

As soon as the boy came to him, Kraves laughed. In fact it was the first moment that he had undone his expression since he had arrived at the station.

"What kind of question is this? Who does not like bantha's meat?"

Kraves laughed and turned to the direction he'd come from before, hurrying along as usual, as he spoke to the boy.

"Believe me, boy, you're not the first Sith to get lost. Now let's go to the ship. The pilot should be ready to leave"

For some reason Kraves felt more and more at ease with the boy. In a way, he liked him. Maybe because he saw himself in the boy, but different in some way.

Further relief washed over the boy when the man laughed, breaking any of the possible tension which could have amounted from his getting lost.

As the two of them ventured back to the ship they'd be using to get to Belkadan, conversation turned from practical talk - which is all they'd really done up until that point - to more friendly chatter. The edge had broken, and it was as though the pair had known one another for countless years even though that simply was not the case.

To any onlookers, though? Heck, they could almost pass as family if not for the stark difference in appearance.

"I've never had bantha meat," he confessed, "but it looked too good to pass up."

With Kraves reassuring him that getting lost was a natural way of life, the boy picked up the pace and soon enough they found themselves at the transporter which would get them where they were going. Thesh waved at the pilot, who was waiting for them to leave, though he didn't say anything off the bat instead allowing Kraves to deal with all of that. This was his venture, after all, and Thesh was simply there to learn and assist.

[member="Darth Kraves"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom