Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Winter Meeting

Kanollic II Vethres

K

Kanollic II Vethres
Chief Inspector
Patriarch of House Vethres
Moff of Bal Talmshaa

Tags: Julius Haskler Julius Haskler
Post Number: One

X5Yx2PB.png

ArtStation - Snow Fortress

Frozen rain and powerful winds swept across the tundra landscape of Bal Talmshaa as the roaring sound of TIE Fighters could be heard overhead patrolling the skies. The planet was within one of its many "Winter Storm" period's which made traveling through the atmosphere dangerous at times if one did not have proper navigation equipment. Transmissions off of the planet was compromised with the heavy snow limiting the signals to Imperial High Command on Bastion. During such storms the Imperial Military would hunker down within 'Fortress Delzotto' which was located several miles north of the Capital City of Tuusevelt. The fortress was a large compound buried deep within the mountain side having extremely thick walls and many heavy turbolaser batteries covering the perimeter.

Those trying to enter into the declared "No Limit Zone" would need a special imperial code to avoid being shot down. Those who had the special code would then transmit the sequence to the Communications Tower located near the top of the structure. Once confirmed and triple checked with Imperial Records then the underground hanger would then open up to allow access to the Fortress. This was designed to limit any chance of rebel activity on the planet. The Small Courtyard would be patrolled by the Tundra Brigade alongside the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps of the Winter Variant.

Within the tallest spire jutting out of the mountain would be the Office of the Moff of Bal Talmshaa. Kanollic II would dig into his overcoat pocket to withdraw some glasses putting them on his face to counteract his less than 20/20 vision. As the Head of the Imperial Inspectorate it was his responsibility to investigate all manner of crimes or misconduct within Imperial Space. Recently a large criminal ring was exposed by the ISB and he requested the files from COMPNOR regarding it. Criminals often had corporate connections to facilitate their growth and move products without being seen. He wanted to make sure that these corporate connections were cleansed permanently.

"Sir, We have a visitor within the meeting room." The Voice of his secretary rang true from the communication box within his office. Moving his gloved finger over to the box and pressing the button allowed him to respond. "Very well, Martha. I shall be there right away." He said before lifting up his finger and moving around from the desk within his office. Entering into the lift to take him down to the meeting room directly below his office. He was skeptical on whom was trying to meet with him at this hour when the Empire was currently occupied with the war with the Galactic Alliance.

Imperial Arbiter of the Outer Rim

hai-nguyen-nguyenhai-p1-bv2.jpg

W I N T E R _ M E E T I N G

Tag: Kanollic II Vethres
vDVBrQ1.png

The Imperial Inspectorate was a particular branch of the Imperial Administration, one with relatively broad goals, no tight pocket to accomplish what they sought, and noted for their remarkable efficiency. This situation led Julius Haskler to seek their help. Recently coming back from the Outer Rim, he needed a way to keep the allies he had made there in check, and he was not willing to spread his own forces thin to do so. As such, he was going to ask Chief Inspector Vethres a favour, and he needed something to pay him back, too.

He had thought of ways to obtain his help for quite some time, now. He could have demanded the Inspectorate send someone to the Outer Rim Territories, but they were at risk of losing an agent and precious material. Plus, even if the DiploServ had political precedence over the Inspectorate, most people assumed they were equal branches, and sometimes Julius feared someone, in the higher echelons, had twisted the protocolary order of power. It was in fact the case, and all services were now equal. Additionally, the fact that Vethres was now a Moff too made it difficult for Julius to simply pressure him into obtaining what he desired. It was unwise to upset a potential ally, especially now that the Moff Council was defiant towards the Triumvirs.

As such, he would have to be diplomatic, as always, and this visit he paid to Vethres was not one he was fully satisfied with. There would have been easier ways to deal with this. Plus, who spent so much time on a remote world like that? It showed much about the lack of taste Venthres possessed, in the Coreworlder's view.
addkebt.png
The Moff let out a formal greeting as the Chief Inspector made himself available for him. He quickly saluted him before speaking.

"Chief Inspector, it is a pleasure to be your host today. I have pressing matters to discuss with you, though I must congratulate you on your recent victory over such filth that makes up criminal rings in the Empire. I hope you can purge them with all the strength you are able to muster, and if they were to have some high-ranking allies outside of the Empire... An opportunity to replace said allies with pro-Imperial men would be a bright success, don't you think?

I will be quite concise if you allow me. I am back from a trip to the Outer Rim Territories, and I have presided over the formation of a union of Imperial Warlords in the galactic South. They will act as an unavowed Imperial puppet-state but are unaware of the fact that we will keep them in check as tightly as possible. As such, I would like to request the Inspectorate's aid to establish a mission in the south, with one of your agents sent to gather information, then send his reports to the ad hoc branches of the administration. If you would agree to set the details up with me, I can assure you the DiploServ would be of infinite thankfulness if we overcame that issue together.
"

Words picked with care, to flatter and orient the train of thought of his interlocutor, words crafted to appeal to the Chief Inspector and sway him to his cause...

Kanollic II Vethres

K

Kanollic II Vethres
Chief Inspector
Moff of Bal Talmshaa

Post Number:
Two

X5Yx2PB.png

Final concept

The small lift opened up into the meeting room where an all too familiar face greeted him. Juilus Haskler, the controller of the Diplomatic Corps and a formidable moff within his own right having control over the planet of Anaxes. The man made quite a show recently at the Moff Council Meeting supporting the Minted Grand Moff's Plans and showing the Triumvirs that the empire wasn't entirely underneath their sole authority either. Kanollic would move carefully without fully revealing his position on important political matters. He regarded the political parties within the empire has the reason why the maw would strike against them. A stronger nation would be able to beat back the maw without suffering heavy casualties.

United as they might appear to outsiders a storm was brewing within the Moff Council against the Imperial Triumvirs. Kanollic gazed out from behind his glasses to scan each and every inch of the man before him. He personally doubted this was simply a social call otherwise it would have been best suited to contact him through technological means when the winter storm period died down. His inner thoughts were soon proven correct when the Moff of Anaxes said he had more pressing matters to discuss with him. He moved on when the moff introduced himself initially and saluted back.

The only thing of note that Haskler said to him at this time was regarding a coalition of Imperial Warlords within the south of the galaxy. Such information had crossed his desk before via Agent Summer. He regarded them as rumors at best due to imperial vessels having to across into Galactic Alliance Space or the Silver Jedi Concord to even reach that area of space. These rumors were confirmed personally by the man in front of him and so he would accept it as reality for now.

"It is a pleasure as well, Moff Haskler. The Imperial Inspectorate has already begun to mobilize its forces to purge these interlopers from the Empire and beyond our borders. Replacing them with Pro-Imperials will certainly be beneficial to the empire as a whole." Kanollic said in a semi-firm monotone voice to convey his general lack of interest in the moff's words.

"Have a seat if you will." Kanollic said gesturing to one of the available seats within the conference room. Moving himself into one such chair as standing for a long time hurt his body. Interlocking his gloved fingers for a moment before delivering his full response on the matter to the Moff of Anaxes.

"I would like to understand your reasoning behind the formation of such a union of rogue imperial warlords before I commit the Imperial Inspectorate's Resources to anything. Would it not be more strategic to absorb them now before they can become a threat to the empire in the future. Puppet-State or no they will wise up eventually to us interfering with their affairs." Kanollic said with some skepticism within his voice, he wasn't about to commit his personal resources to such an endeavor if it didn't benefit the empire as a whole. What was the Moff of Anaxes thinking when he formed this union of rogue imperials.

"The only benefit that I could guess if you will is this Imperial Union will stop any advancement of the Final Dawn within those regions?" Kanollic further added a bit later, assuming that Haskler meant for them to become a auxiliary force to stop the Final Dawn from gaining any more influence over that portion of the galaxy.

vDVBrQ1.png

When Julius had taken the diplomatic affairs of the Empire into his own hands, he had expected things to get a lot more difficult, given how he exposed himself to political attacks and potential failures. It was both a formidable way to advance the imperial cause and a line to tread carefully, as a Head of DiploServ was easily replaceable.

In the case of the Outer Rim project, everything depended on the amount of support he could garner to make sure the situation stabilised itself. His first attempt at gaining allies in these regions, the Imperial Concordat, had been a failure. Pagaarch gone, the Final Dawn, which had been competing with him to gain the Concordat's control, swept in and established itself on Kal'Shebbol. It seemed luck had turned, however, with the summit at Eriadu. With so many warlords gathered to see Sularen humiliated, Haskler thought he might have the upper hand. But everything depended on how he managed to consolidate it.
addkebt.png
"I would like to understand your reasoning behind the formation of such a union of rogue imperial warlords before I commit the Imperial Inspectorate's Resources to anything. Would it not be more strategic to absorb them now before they can become a threat to the empire in the future. Puppet-State or no they will wise up eventually to us interfering with their affairs.
The only benefit that I could guess if you will is this Imperial Union will stop any advancement of the Final Dawn within those regions?
"

As was expected, the Chief Inspector fought back, unwilling to let his assets fall into the hands of others, for unknown purposes. It was a sign of a very diligent servant of the Empire, one cautious not to spread his resources and waste them pointlessly. But it was also a hindrance in that Julius was now forced to go to great lengths to expose the Empire's interest in the project.

In a way, Julius felt in the same place as Sularen some time ago: having to justify why his government might want to spend so much on such uninteresting places of the galaxy. Life would be easier if the Empire did not have such zealous and cautious servants.

"The option of outright absorbing the warlords was considered, Julius said with a cautious tone, unwilling to expose too much of the DiploServ's inner workings. But there were several drawbacks to this idea: first of all, it is very difficult to maintain control on planets separated from us by the massive galactic bodies that are the Silver Jedi Confederation and the Galactic Alliance; then, we were competing with other forces for the allegiance of these warlords, and curtailing their powers on their own worlds would have been detrimental to our cause; lastly, we would not have been able to check on the loyalty of those sent to serve on these worlds, risking to lose all our gains to a rebellion, or some Moff deciding to break away."

The Moff paused for a moment, to let things sink clearly into the Chief Inspector's mind. All the options had been weighed carefully, and he was absolutely sure the path he was walking on was the right one.

"I guess the possibility of the warlords wising up one day is a risk to take into account. But I think it is something very marginal, granted we leave the warlords to their own devices, giving them no strategical route to follow, letting them manage their diplomacy as they intend. The only thing really needed is to make sure they don't join the opposite side of any wars we are fighting, given we are going to invest a bit in these regions.

Then, and you're right again, the most pressing matter regarding the South is the Final Dawn trying to sway Imperial warlords to its cause. I can assure you they suffered a major setback recently, but it doesn't mean we should lower our guard. Wherever warlords work with us, we can prevent the Final Dawn from establishing itself. But, should we turn our back to these regions, we would completely lose control of the situation.
"

Kanollic II Vethres

K

Kanollic II Vethres
Chief Inspector
Moff of Bal Talmshaa

Post Number:
Three

X5Yx2PB.png

Final concept

Kanollic listened very carefully as the Moff of Anaxes gave insight into the reasoning behind the formation of such a collection of rogue imperial elements far from the Empire's Home Corridor. The possibility of absorption was ruled out of the question due to several reasons which the Moff of Bal Talmshaa viewed as very thin on overall detail. He suspected that winning over the Union of Imperial Warlords would give him additional status within the Moff Council should this little pet project be successful. However the thoughts of failure was also present within his mind as various situations and their outcomes flowed through at lightning speed. Should the Service Corp become the target of criticism from the other Moff Council Members, keeping his own branch out of the picture was his best option. He additionally suspected that Haskler was coming to him to use up the Resources underneath his command instead of sending his own resources.

"You mentioned that absorption of the warlords would have several drawbacks. However there is an additional strategy to keep them under our control that you had failed to consider. Shackle the economy of the union to the Trade Federation underneath Gat Tambor with the purchase of major industry and production centers. While I personally do not trust the Trade Federation nor Gat Tambor. The warlords would have no choice but to comply with orders from Imperial Center if they wished for their population to not rebel against them due to us withholding goods and services. Hence we would 'absorb' them into the empire without actually having to station any troops nor cross the border." Kanollic offered a counter suggestion on why absorption could happen. The Trade Federation could pump millions of credits into the economy of the Imperial Union and purchase a majority of the businesses to both help the imperial warlords grow but also shackle them to the Empire Proper. The Moff of Anaxes didn't think of the possibility of economic control rather than direct control which he saw as a failure on his part.

Kanollic would let this suggestion sink into the Moff of Anaxes mind for the moment to consider before hearing the rest his words. The possibility of the warlords rebelling against them was very real. When you look at the history of the Ancient Galactic Empire and the collapse of Imperial Authority lead way to the rise of the Imperial Warlord Era. The suggestion of economic control would also make sure that they were unable to fight with our enemies due to them needing us more than we need them.

"The idea of rebellion from the Imperial Warlords is not 'marginal' as you claim. There is nothing stopping them from performing a short term alliance with either the Galactic Alliance or Silver Jedi Confederation. The Imperial Remnant worked with the Previous Galactic Alliance to fight back the Vong when they invaded the galaxy because they saw it as a 'alliance of mutual benefit'. It would be of little difference for the Warlords to side with the Alliance against the Proper Empire in the future following the simple principle of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Are you ready to take personal responsibility for the warlord's actions should they not be in the best interests of the empire?" Kanollic further added with a firm grizzled tone not to belittle the moff of anaxes in anyway but show him that his current viewpoint was seriously flawed. The Union of Imperial Warlords would find out eventually that the proper empire was trying to sway them into doing things.

A service droid came into the room ; handing the aging Moff of Bal Talmshaa a cup of coffee with two sugars in it. Mixing it with a spoon before bringing it towards his elderly lips as the cool liquid flowed down. His gaze returned back to the Moff of Anaxes who explained that his earlier reasoning of the Final Dawn was correct. They were the industry for the Brotherhood of the Maw and the only reason as to why the maw was so formidable to the Galactic Alliance. Crushing their influence and power within the region was paramount to securing victory.

"I concur with your reasoning for the Final Dawn, they are the industrial pillar for the Maw. Crushing them would be a serious blow to the brotherhood and would lead to their swift collapse within that galaxy in a matter of months. So far that is the only reason that I would support the plan of sending an asset of mine. Until you can convince me fully." He further added voicing his personal opinion on the matter. He was only semi-supportive of the plan to crush the brotherhood of the maw's industrial pillar and nothing more that the Moff of Anaxes claimed before. He was going to be a tough nut to crack.

vDVBrQ1.png

A tough nut. Again and again, the image came back to Julius, sometimes accompanied by the design of a very durable fortress which he would not know how to crack open. The Chief Inspector was just that: a tough nut to crack. Thus far, it seemed like no argument he could think of had made any effect. Vethres remained untouched by his colleague's plea for help.

Yet the ideas that the discussion was giving birth to were not unworthy of consideration, and his interlocutor made some excellent points, of which he took note. Of course, no allegiance was considered secured until the entity swearing fealty and pleading for help was in tight economic subservience, or under an armoured boot. But, as he had said earlier, the Empire had no means to send a whole expeditionary corps so far in the galaxy, to watch over scattered, backwater worlds.

Thus, the idea of economic subservience was to be considered, and it was precisely where the Chief Inspector put all his weight when he answered Haskler.

"You mentioned that absorption of the warlords would have several drawbacks. However there is an additional strategy to keep them under our control that you had failed to consider. Shackle the economy of the union to the Trade Federation underneath Gat Tambor with the purchase of major industry and production centers. While I personally do not trust the Trade Federation nor Gat Tambor. The warlords would have no choice but to comply with orders from Imperial Center if they wished for their population to not rebel against them due to us withholding goods and services. Hence we would 'absorb' them into the empire without actually having to station any troops nor cross the border.
The idea of rebellion from the Imperial Warlords is not 'marginal' as you claim. There is nothing stopping them from performing a short term alliance with either the Galactic Alliance or Silver Jedi Confederation. The Imperial Remnant worked with the Previous Galactic Alliance to fight back the Vong when they invaded the galaxy because they saw it as a 'alliance of mutual benefit'. It would be of little difference for the Warlords to side with the Alliance against the Proper Empire in the future following the simple principle of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Are you ready to take personal responsibility for the warlord's actions should they not be in the best interests of the empire?
I concur with your reasoning for the Final Dawn, they are the industrial pillar for the Maw. Crushing them would be a serious blow to the brotherhood and would lead to their swift collapse within that galaxy in a matter of months. So far that is the only reason that I would support the plan of sending an asset of mine. Until you can convince me fully."

Again, the Chief Inspector was right. Nothing was guaranteeing the Warlords wouldn't trade their new ally for a more lenient one but at the same time, the Moff was confident Tarkin would stay loyal to the Imperial ideals, if not the Empire. This was a delicate way to present the situation, as it made the High Moff of Eriadu an unreliable character at best, however, Julius had not many options, except avoiding a dangerous answer on the matter of the Warlords' loyalty.

For this reason, Julius knew he had no other option than to relinquish all pretences of controlling the Warlords in front of Vethres: he would give ground until the Inspectorate was ready to take these matters into their hands and hope he could salvage the situation from a political point of view, if not from an administrative one. In the end, he had never intended to control the Warlords himself, but rather keep them under the Empire's watch until a more permanent situation could be inaugurated.

"I must congratulate your brilliant mind, Chief Inspector, as you seem to be much more creative than me in these domains of administrative and feodal handling. I am but a diplomat, as you know, and my mission must end where yours start: the DiploServ cannot be tasked with administering worlds and securing the allegiance of worlds on a long-term basis. This is why I reached you in the first place. If the Empire is to achieve victory in the South, we need to collaborate, and each competent service must act for what it has been formed. My service's mission comes to an end, since approaching the Warlords and fending off concurrence has been successful; if we are to retain these worlds, other branches of the Empire must collaborate with us and reap the reward of keeping watch of the Warlords, lest we lose our grip on the region.

The DiploServ will follow the instructions of whichever branch declares itself capable of handling the matter and collaborate to create a fruitful zone of influence over the South. Is the Inspectorate the right door to knock at?"

Kanollic II Vethres

K

Kanollic II Vethres
Chief Inspector
Moff of Bal Talmshaa

Post Number:
Four

X5Yx2PB.png
Final concept

The Moff of Anaxes seemed to drop his facade in front of him and for good reason. The Chief Inspector had backed him into a corner with both logical solutions and ways of control to which the Anaxi didn't understand or chose to ignore at this present time. His cup of coffee had gotten considerably cold as he placed it down onto the table for the service droid to heat it up again. Haskler spoke once again on the pretense that DiploSev had accomplished their mission and it was up to another branch to deal with the southern warlords. Again he was cautious about sending resources so far away from his hold within the empire.

"You make a sound argument, Moff Haskler. The Inspectorate will take official authority over the matters regarding the Warlords of the South."

Kanollic II said in a dramatic shift in tone due to a single thought entering into his head, the Tarkinist Administration was becoming more and more tyrannical in terms of rulership. While he didn't protest their methods entirely the way that they handled things without thinking forward became more and more apparent. He had joined the New Imperial Order to escape the pettiness of the Sith Empire during the Declaration of Defiance. Now the 'Empire' was becoming exactly like the sith they chose to rebel against.

If the Inspectorate could secure the loyalty of the Warlords not towards the Empire but towards himself. He would have the tools necessary to accomplish his plan. The COMNOR Ruling Body was his first choice due to them controlling a powerful apparatus within the empire in the form of a political police force which he could use for his own devices moving forward.

"If that is all; Moff Haskler. I must return to my office to begin making the necessary preparations."

Moff Vethres said standing up from the seat he was currently sitting upon and grabbing his wooden cane for support. Beginning to make his way towards the lift but not walking fast enough to not hear the Moff of Anaxes if he had other words to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom