Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species The Wayland Plague: Kremlins

Status
Not open for further replies.
critters_shot1l.jpg

Name: Kremlins

Designation: Sentient

Homeworld: Wayland

Language: Crit

Average height of adults: 0.2 to 0.4 meters

Skin color: Black

Hair color: Black

Breathes: Type 1, 2, and 3 Atmospheres

Strengths:
Grow and Breed rapidly
Powerful jaws and sharp teeth
Excellent night-vision
Able to launch a quill over an 8 meter distance
Quills are coated in a fast acting poison that causes numbness, drowsiness, and lethargy
High doses of this poison have been known to cause temporary paralysis and have occasionally been used as an anesthetic before surgery.

Weaknesses:
Typically of very small size, though known to grow to 1.7 meters in height if able to live for more than 72 hours and able to consume enough food.
Though intelligent, Kremlins do not typically take advantage of weaponry and are easily slaughtered by those who do. Similarly, though they are crafty, advanced species are often able to out-think them and lure them into traps.

Distinctions:
These small, red eyed creatures are able to tuck into a ball and roll rapidly. This enables them to move far faster than their short arms and legs could otherwise carry them. When tucked into a ball and rolling, able to 'bounce' as a means of jumping great distances. They are a communal species that operates as a type of swarm. The creatures will often attack en-mass when threatened or when hunting a prey larger than themselves. When dealing with a particularly dangerous foe, a swarm of Kremlins will grab hold of one another and form a giant ball. Each Kremlin in the ball faces outwards and bites at anything within reach of the Kremlin super-ball. Using this method, Kremlins are able to kill and consume creatures of nearly any size as they run it over. Using this method, a superball of 150-250 Kremlins can strip an entire Bovine species to the bone in 30-45 seconds.

The poison produced by the Kremlins is capable of causing a human child to pass out or causing an adult human to be reduced to a stumbling, lethargic, drunk-like state in a few seconds after being struck by the quill. Larger creatures experience localized numbness instead of the 'whole body' 'leg fell asleep' feeling that average sized creatures experience. Additional quills launched at a target have a compounding effect. Two or more causing larger than average creatures to be reduced to a 'drunk-like state' and average sized creatures to pass out a few seconds after contact. Five to eight quills can cause even a wookiee to pass out after a few seconds of exposure.

Average Lifespan:
Considered a plague on most civilized planets, Kremlins are typically wiped out within 72 hours of discovery. As such, no average or maximum lifespan is currently known. A scientific study of the creatures was once attempted, but all contact with involved scientists was lost within the first week of study. The scientists' spaceship was later found on Tantooine after a recent Kremlin outbreak.

Races: None

Estimated Population: 400,000 – 4,000,000

Diet:
Anything and everything, raw meat proffered

Communication:
Verbal communication with their own species, believed to be able to understand Basic

Culture:
Kremlins are inherently both hungry and curious. They are ravenous creatures whose only desire is to consume and reproduce. Though, when they encounter new environments and technologies, they immediately explore and play with the new foods and tools at their disposal. Refrigerators, microwaves, and televisions have all become favorite tools of theirs. They have even been known to take advantage of a kitchen from time to time, though they seem to be using it more as a way to play with their food than as a way to prepare it.

Technology level:
The species has no inherent technology of its own, but has an inherent understanding of all technology they encounter. The species has only one desire, and ignore any technology that does not directly or indirectly help them to find and consume prey. Though Kremlins are often considered as mindless and destructive as a Krayt Dragon or a Vornskr, they have been known to be as crafty as a Jawa and have stolen starships on occasion. There is even an account of Kremlins overrunning a flash-cloning facility.

General behavior:
Kremlins are small, communal creatures with an appetite for raw meat and a curiosity for the structures of civilized societies. Kremlins typically reside within the Vong-formed jungles of Wayland where they etch out territory from the other violent, mutated life forms of the planet. Kremlins rarely are encountered alone and are conditioned by their home planet to consider all life forms as both hostile and food. When encountering another life form, a pack of Kremlins will quickly attack the creature from multiple angles. The Kremlins will tuck into balls and launch themselves at the creature. Once close to the creature, a Kremlin will unroll itself and latch onto the organism with its arms and legs and quickly begin biting at the creature with its large mouth, powerful jaws, and triple rows of sharp, durable teeth. When encountering a particularly large or dangerous prey species, Kremlins will seek to burrow into the creature as they take bites out of it.

When not in a feeding frenzy, Kremlins are very social creatures. They have occasionally been observed exploring a new environment as a group and have been seen 'laughing' at a television.

History:
Originally found on Wayland after the failed Vong-forming by the Republic, Kremlins have continued to be a problematic species for the galaxy. Though they are typically restricted to Wayland, small clusters of Kremlins have occasionally been found elsewhere in the galaxy. When food is present, these small clusters grow exponentially in number until all food has been consumed or the swarm has been eradicated.

Notable Player-Characters: None

Intent:
To make a horrible little monster based on a horrible little monster to play around with in future roleplays. Also. Critters.

Image Databank
A clutch of Kremlin eggs
critters2_shot1l.jpg

Kremlin Hatchlings are neither cute nor harmless
Critters_4_18.jpg

A clutch of Kremlin Hatchlings
critters24.JPG

A Kremlin tries smoking
tumblr_l9sbt0aZ4b1qdezf9o1_400.gif

A Kremlin launches a poisoned quill at its prey
tumblr_mmvnz0Xe0w1s488ujo1_500.gif

A pair of Kremlin defend a recently acquired Republic Police Speeder
tumblr_ma65w96iVF1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

A large Kremlin proclaims its love for its favorite food
critters2_shot5l.jpg

A Kremlin superball chases a human (WARNING! Bad CG Gore)
tumblr_n0v9aapmbb1qfr6udo1_500.gif
tumblr_n0v9aapmbb1qfr6udo2_400.gif

Kremlins are typically considered to be 'cute and harmless' by most Mandalorians
tumblr_mz0dgeRimC1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Kremlins typically consider Mandalorians to be food
53a7620a89fd2d27f2cddd3dde1fefa5.gif

A pair of Kremlins encounter Mandalorians (WARNING! Contains swear word)
any-critters-fans-out-there-i-love-these-little-guys-12390.gif

Rawr.
tumblr_lluk3bL1eR1qdezf9o1_500.gif

So basically they're gremlins on steroids. Very entertaining and interesting species, I must say. A question or two, though.

What are the maximum and minimal effects of their poison? You say they attack in swarms, and if they shoot quills in swarms (do they?), then their prey is likely to be overdosed. How does an overdose work? How much does it take? How sharp are these quills? What level of armor/protective clothing can they pierce? How fast as the qiulls fired? Are Crites immune to their own poison?

Though I love the 'tuck in to a ball and charge' thing... very funny... how do they 'bounce' and 'jump at prey' when in this form? Do their legs stick out, or do they have some kind of extra limb or something, or do they have repulsorlifts under their armpits, or what? May not seem like an important quesiton, but nontheless it is notable. :p As far as forming a superball... That's theoretically possible, yes, but I'm unsure if it's possible with their faces outside of the ball. If the faces were inside, as shown in your pictures, then it could work, but... I'm sure you understand what I mean. Prehaps they get close to something in mega-ball form, then start jumping off of the ball and leaping at the prey? Just a suggestion, do as you like, i'd just like to know how that works. Also, how many Crites does it take to form a 'super ball'...?

How quick are they to learn technologies? Will they just accidently launch a ship, or can they- like Ewoks- actually learn to operate modern technology?

'Crites are knownt o burrow in to prey to take bites out of it' How do they do this?

Your image databank is hillariuos. I wish I knew where i've seen these things before, and what they're based off of... I thought gremlins at first, but *shrugs*.

Also, one of your images contains a swear word, as this is a PG-13 site and all can you either remove that image, or put "Contains swearing" before the spoiler, to warn people? Thank you.

Sorry to be so picky, I just wantt o make sure everything makes sense. :) Tag me when you're ready.

[member="Captain Larraq"]

[member="Mrrew"]

Mrrew said:
So basically they're gremlins on steroids. Very entertaining and interesting species, I must say. A question or two, though.

Your image databank is hillariuos. I wish I knew where i've seen these things before, and what they're based off of... I thought gremlins at first, but *shrugs*.

actually, Critters is a movie from around the same time. The Director got accused of ripping off the idea from Gremlins, but stands by his argument that the premise was set up before Gremlins ever came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVyfEgnA678&list=RDQVyfEgnA678

FULL MOVIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZ2UMHzXuo

Mrrew said:
What are the maximum and minimal effects of their poison? You say they attack in swarms, and if they shoot quills in swarms (do they?), then their prey is likely to be overdosed. How does an overdose work? How much does it take? How sharp are these quills? What level of armor/protective clothing can they pierce? How fast as the qiulls fired? Are Crites immune to their own poison?
In the movies, they have only shown someone getting hit by a single quill. Each person hit by a quill has more or less passed out and needed to be dragged from the room by others nearby. It then took maybe 30 minutes to and hour for them to 'fully recover'. They typically are only passed out for a minute or two, then they are severely weakened and lethargic as if drunk or just coming off a strong sedative. Those that are alone and stuck by a quill are consumed. In one movie, a kid pricked his finger on a quill that he pulled out of someone elses neck and immediately passed out. Since these quills have to be re-grown, it is unlikely that the Crites would launch more than necessary to disable a target for long enough to eat. I would assume that an overdose would cause similar effects to real world sedative overdoses.... at some point, the heart stops. For sake of argument though, let's say that each adult Crite has 5-8 quills and it would take 30+ quills to provide a fatal dose.

In order to fire a quill, the Crite must look down and aim the top of his head at a target. So they are fairly inaccurate and best used at close ranges, even though the quill can be propelled 8 meters. The piercing quality of the quill is better at close ranges and weaker at farther than 3-4 meters. Considering the time it takes to look at a target, assess distance and aiming, turn the head to fire, and launch the quill.... I would say one quill every 10 seconds can be launched, but they take 2-4 days to re-grow.

As for how sharp they are... They are intended for use against the soft flesh of unarmored targets. Typically a hand or the neck. Let's say that they can pierce organic hide/armor up to a quality 6, but can only pierce synthetic armor of quality 2. Armorweave of quality 4 or less can also be pierced by these quills.

Mrrew said:
Though I love the 'tuck in to a ball and charge' thing... very funny... how do they 'bounce' and 'jump at prey' when in this form? Do their legs stick out, or do they have some kind of extra limb or something, or do they have repulsorlifts under their armpits, or what? May not seem like an important quesiton, but nontheless it is notable. :p As far as forming a superball... That's theoretically possible, yes, but I'm unsure if it's possible with their faces outside of the ball. If the faces were inside, as shown in your pictures, then it could work, but... I'm sure you understand what I mean. Prehaps they get close to something in mega-ball form, then start jumping off of the ball and leaping at the prey? Just a suggestion, do as you like, i'd just like to know how that works. Also, how many Crites does it take to form a 'super ball'...?

In the movie you see some sonic-the-hedgehog style movement from these things. They just... shift their center of gravity/flex their muscles in a rapid enough manner to cause them to 'bounce' one or twice while rolling.

Superball... I found a better gif of what they do. They just... roll over things and eat them.

tumblr_n0v9aapmbb1qfr6udo1_500.gif

tumblr_n0v9aapmbb1qfr6udo2_400.gif

It takes hundreds to make a superball. about 150-250 minimum.

Mrrew said:
How quick are they to learn technologies? Will they just accidently launch a ship, or can they- like Ewoks- actually learn to operate modern technology?

They push buttons and observe what happens. In this way, they actually learn to operate modern technology. Though they typically have no understanding of how or why the technology works.

Mrrew said:
'Crites are knownt o burrow in to prey to take bites out of it' How do they do this?

They take huge bites out of people and use their arms and leg and 'wiggle' and just kinda... slide into the hole they made by biting. The Hatchlings are most likely to display this behavior, though I would imagine the adults would do this if eating an elephant or dinosaur.

Mrrew said:
Also, one of your images contains a swear word, as this is a PG-13 site and all can you either remove that image, or put "Contains swearing" before the spoiler, to warn people? Thank you.

Adding warning now!

That's where i've seen them, I probably saw bits and pieces of that movie. While I don't like a direct rip of something that exsists otuside of star wars, since it's from some irrelevant movie no one's heard of, not something like Mass Effect or Halo, that's not a major deal.

That poison thing seems fine, please edit the submission to state that, but I don't like the 'instantly passing out' thing. Prehaps, you could say, it would have instananious effects in smaller beings like children or Ewoks. While humans it would take a few seconds or twn seconds or so. How long would it take in things like wookiees and herglics? Would they be effected at all by a single quill?

For the super-ball thing... ... ... *insert R U SRS? meme here* *rubs temples* Okay... Well... Even if it was hundreds upon hundreds of these things, they couldn't turn a fullgrown human into a skeleton in half a second. Although, i'm sure you know this, just making usre you do. XD What is shown in the GIF is.. pretty much impossible. The super-ball would have to move to fast to eat the human down to that point in ust running it over. It's technically possible for the superball to be used to chase down something, but they couldn't eat it in that form. They'd have to break apart to start feasting. If i'm wrong, explain why please. :)

I really don't like the superball thing... Otherwise, this seems about right... Edit everything that needs it into the submission, and i'll go over it with a fine tooth comb again to make sure I haven't missed anything, and then you'll be good. :)

Ty for being patient. [member="Captain Larraq"]

[member="Captain Larraq"] - Tag me when you're finished. :D And don't worry, we're all nerds, we pretend to be Jedi on the internet with people we don't even know. :p

[member="Mrrew"]

Edits made in the Distinctions section. Also, the 'superball' gifs were entered in place of the existing picture and gif. a warning was added before the superball-consumption gif and before the 'They have Weapons' gif.

Alright...

I still don't like the superball thing, but, it's technically possible... Keep in mind that if they were holding on to eachother like that, if one of the Crites were wounded, the ball would more then likely begin to fall apart. (Correct me if i'm wrong). I was about to approve this, when one last thing was brought to my attention. Apperantly, you used the same name as they did in the movies. Yeah... that's got to be changed, or it looks like a complete rip-off. Just use the 'replace' tool (the h > a symbol). Do that, and you get my stamp (hestitantly). Abuse, and we drop Popo on you. And you suffer. Via Popo.

[member="Captain Larraq"]

[member="Captain Larraq"] - ... No. No you can not.
If you can't come up with a name, run something through Google.translate.com until you see something you like.

[member="Captain Larraq"] - Fine... Since Gremlins are a term used in Star Wars, it's not a rip, techincally... I do ike this species though.

Approved by my mini-stamp, pending a bigger one.

Abuse, and I will drop a Kremlin super-ball on you.

Dont make me regret this.
Seriously, don't.
Still don't like the super ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom