Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Truth

The stop was brief, yet it still managed to carry far more excitement than Cedric would have ever wanted.

The battle for Irn had been a particularly bloody one. Cedric recalled syncing his mind with that of thousands during the conflict vividly; he'd felt their deaths and conquests as if they were his own. Retaining his sanity during the chaos had proven to be the most difficult task Cedric would ever faced, but somehow he had managed. The scars of the conflict still stretched across Irn's bloodied surface, but her cities were beginning to show signs of recovery.

The Dominion that had protected her may have fallen, but its sacrifice brought her proper prosperity. The Sith would be coming for her soon, of that much Cedric was sure. There would be little time left to make use of Irn's independence.

And use it he did.

The datachip that served as this month's information dump was nestled safely in Cedric's pocket. He would see it safely returned to the Jedi Enclave on Denaba, where it would serve as further proof of the Sith's transgressions. Cedric had hope that the data dump would help mobilize the Jedi into a unified fighting force, though he recognized such wishes as the result of unrealistic optimism.

The Jedi would not be united until they could set aside the seats of power they had grown comfortable in, and a few records weren't going to change that. Still, he felt the need to do something for his people when he was not undergoing solitary training. It was for that very reason that he had come to one of the volunteer hospitals that had been set up on the outskirts of the capital city. Though sparsely populated, the city was large enough to attract the majority of the area's wounded. Many of those men and women were soldiers that had once served under his family's banner. It was only right that he come see them now; to tell them that the failing of their nation fell upon his shoulders, and not their own.

Thus it was that Cedric found himself seated next to an amputee recounting the war. He was too engrossed in the conversation to notice the greasy looking man that strode through the hospital's doors. He only rose from his seat once the man's sidearm was pointed at one of the doctors and her patient. The man yelled, though Cedric was too caught up in his own actions to register any words.

There was a snap-hiss as the cyan blade leaped from Cedric's fingers. Half a second passed before its arc finished and the pistol's barrel had been sundered down the middle. Volunteer security officers jumped on the attacker as the weapon returned to the knight's waiting fingers and died in his hand.

"Do you know who he is?" The words were spoken on auto-pilot as Cedric shuffled over toward the woman that would have been the man's target. No one seemed to pay him much mind; most of the people here knew who Cedric was, and they weren't planning on turning him into the Sith. Not as far as he knew, anyway.

She was running out of time, and she knew it.

Bending over her patient, a ten year old human boy, Mirax ignored the newly formed pearls of sweat that threatened to invade her eyes. Concentrating upon the incision in the boy's abdomen, she let her hands work scientific magic, as she moved to close the gaping wound. Once that was done, she would apply a strip of bacta gel and affix it next to the incision - so it could help accelerate the healing process.

The boy had woken up very briefly, but his eyes closed almost as soon as they had stirred. "How do you feel, Bari?" she asked her patient softly, taking a step away from the bed to give him some space.

Bari did not answer. His wan face lay pressed against the pillow and his breath was coming in deep, slow pulses, telling Mirax he had fallen asleep. She brushed a silky curl of red hair off the boy's forehead. His brow was cool and dry. Encouraged, Mirax regarded him with a small smile, knowing there was no fever present. Later, once he had the chance to rest properly, she would try to get him to drink some water to replace the fluid his body had lost, but it could definitely wait. Given the severity of his condition, Mirax did not want to leave the orphan's side, in case his condition turned for the worse during the night. She also feared the orphanage officials may want to take the boy away before he was well enough to walk. She had witnessed such acts of barbaric ignorance before, and was unwilling to permit yet another one to take place, not while she had breath left in her body. Dragging a chair closer to the bed, Mirax sat down, and lay her warm hand protectively over the boy's slender fingers, preparing to watch over her charge through the night.

She had closed her eyes for but a moment, when a man's scream brought Mirax out of her reverie. Turning, she saw the deadly muzzle of a blaster pistol leveled at her head. Mirax blinked, innate feline grace meeting a desperate gamble, as she stood up and placed herself directly between her patient and the gunman.

Don't... her eyes pleaded silently, sensing this madness could only end one way. And then there was a sudden flash of light - white or blue - or both, she could not tell. The next few seconds becoming a blur as the attacker's weapon was severed and the man himself momentarily apprehended by the hospital's vigilant security officers. Mirax swallowed, struggling to regain base composure. Turning quickly, she glanced to the bed, to check the state of her patient - but mercifully, Bari was sleeping soundly, entirely unaware of what had just taken place.

"Do you know who he is?"

The unknown voice spoke behind Mirax, nearly causing her to jump. It started to come back to her now, the short term memory - and she recalled he was the one to throw something - a blade? Yes, it was him. His calm, well-timed intervention, however brief - had saved her life - and possibly Bari's life, as well. He did not seem to be with the security detail, Mirax thought, her gaze briefly washing over Cedric as she pondered who he could be. And then she saw the cylinder in his hand, the unmistakable weapon of--

"No, I do not. It all happened so fast. If I could get another look at his face, perhaps I could remember? He is definitely not a patient, because when it comes to my job - I never forget a face." She fell silent for a moment, considering something. "Thank you; you are a brave soul. I suppose I should press charges against that man but I would first like to know why he made me his target? At the same time, I don't really want to leave his side . . . " she glanced to Bari, still sleeping soundly. "You see . . . he has no one else. And I want to make sure he makes it through the night."

Green eyes shifted to meet Cedric's, hoping he would understand and not see her need as trivial. Perhaps he could yet be of help to her, only in this very moment, Mirax did not even think to ask. If he was who she suspected, undoubtedly he would have bigger and more important things to do with his time, than hold a vigil over an orphaned child.

The realm of the ethereal was buffeted with waves of violence. The hospital was a place of peace and healing; a rare thing in this part of the galaxy. To have such peace disturbed so suddenly was unnatural; the Force recoiled against the faux path its players had been forced upon. Cedric felt it all swirling about him like a hurricane, though he did not waver. He was akin to a statue that withstood the torrent of chaotic energy. Its power had long since lost its place within his heart.

There was a woman, and then there was a child. Cedric only dared to tear his vision away from the attacker once he was absolutely positive he posed no further threat. The woman's words fell upon deaf ears, though he managed to understand the gist of what she was saying as the cacophony died down. The knight took a moment to appraise her; she seemed to have little that made her any different from the other doctors present. Why had she been targeted?

"It doesn't take much to disarm a spiced up maniac," he cracked a thin smile that seemed all too out of place for their situation. "Perhaps we can learn who this attacker is before the night is over." He gestured for the guards to bring the man to him. Under most circumstances, there would have likely been some form of protest. As things were, not a soul made any move to stand in Cedric's way.

"My name is Cedric," he offered as the disheveled man was dropped before him. "I'm a Jedi Knight -" he reached down to tap his lightsaber, and his smile grew into a grin. "-if you couldn't tell."

Restrained by the cuffs around his wrists, the attacker simply stared up at Cedric. Then his gaze shifted to Mirax, and there it remained. The attacker's cracked lips pulled back in a bloody smile. "You got lucky schutta. This isn't over yet."

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

Mirax' gaze shifted from the Jedi to the sleeping boy, a light nod signifying agreement with Cedric's words before she spoke. Perhaps the man's grin unsettled her - or perhaps she was just unused to normal social interaction - she could only hope her face and neck did not suddenly color red, as it had the habit of doing whenever Mirax was genuinely flustered.

"Your powers of observation are very keen, although I should not be surprised since you said you are a Jedi. And here I thought your kind was a myth," she teased lightly, warm green glance meeting the man's bold gaze. He might have thought her a very sheltered person, if she truly thought him to be a thing of legend. Small, slender hand stretched outward in an almost feline motion as she moved to reciprocate Cedric's earlier introduction and greeting.

"Mirax. Some call me Doctor Eygan although I don't care for formalities even if they do have their uses."

Her eyes could not help but seek out the weapon in his display: a Jedi's lightsaber. A formidable, elegant weapon. A weapon that saved her life. And Bari's.

"Speaking of which, I suppose I have outstanding formalities here," Mirax stole a furtive glance toward her would-be assassin. She had every intention of cooperating with the local authorities, lest her cover went bust and she was imprisoned along with this 'spiced-up maniac' as Cedric called him. Stepping briefly out into the hall, she called for a nurse to come in and watch Bari while she made a formal report.

Turning to Cedric, she forced a light smile meeting his eyes once more. The main security office was just down the hall, she gestured. "I am sure they will want you to testify as a material witness. And . . . I would be grateful, if you could spare the time." Pending his willingness, she would proceed to the aforementioned chamber, where the authorities already sat in wait - with her attacker in tow.

[member="Cedric Grayson"]

"I can remain for a time," Cedric offered as things began to slow down. The force had given him fair warning of the attacker's intentions, but such knowledge had not kept his heart from racing. There was always the possibility of failure, force or not, and Cedric had not yet mastered the art of true disconnection from his feelings. His chest rose and fell heavily as he mumbled a Jedi mantra under his breath, his eyes squeezing shut for a moment. In that brief second, the Jedi Knight became one with the realm of ethereal.

He knew bliss.

And then he knew reality once again.

His eyes drifted shut as he severed himself from the Great Ocean. Before him stood a young woman unlike most. She was a beautiful creature, though there was a hint of power thrumming behind those blue eyes. They reminded him of his sister's.

"Everything else I had planned is a bit boring when compared to a murder mystery anyway," he mused as he settled down into one of the nearby seats. His gaze never left the girl - something was odd about her, and not in the normal sort of sense.

His brow furrowed. "You're a doctor then? Just a doctor?"

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

The brief reassurance he offered brought a semblance of relief, now clearly visible in Mirax' relaxed features. Even her eyes seemed more serene, warming to the man's harmonious demeanor. Just then, when the Lorrdian thought she could read his body language as flawlessly as she could interpret a medical thermometer, Cedric drifted away - many miles away - his physical presence the sole indication of his being with her on the same plane, to to speak. Otherwise, he appeared to be entirely elsewhere, his mouth moving to utter inaudible words Mirax would likely fail to discern even if she was able to make out their sound.

In that moment, Cedric belonged to connection beyond her limited understanding.

The incident bothered Mirax, though she chose not to address it - perhaps afraid that if she had spoken, the moment in which Cedric found such bliss as it was evident in his handsome features - would vanish, like a broken silence.

Instead, she resolved to bring her growing curiosity to a pause, until he spoke first. She did not have to wait long.

"The attempted murder mystery," smiling carelessly, Mirax corrected the man as he took his ease in a nearby chair. Why was he staring? Did she have a smear of blood on her face? Was the naiveté with which she had always conducted herself and strove for, so hard to hide? Was it . . . that obvious?

And then came the inquiry that caused Mirax to cant her head in confusion.

"What do you mean by 'just' a doctor? Isn't being a surgeon, plenty? I'd like to see -you- perform an appendectomy with one hand tied behind your back."

She was about to say more, when the hospital's chief of security entered the hallway and came to face both of them. "My apologies for keeping you waiting. Would you please follow me - we have some questions to ask you, regarding the incident you were both involved in, earlier."

Pending their cooperation - which Mirax had fully intended to give - they would step out of the office twenty minutes later, with the Lorrdian looking no more at peace now than when she was before walking in. Still, there was something to be said for temporary (however brief), incarceration.

"Well, at least he won't be chasing me --us-- down anytime soon," she murmured, before casting a sideward glance to her male companion. "Can I buy you a cup of stim tea before you rush off to save your next damsel in distress?"

"Attempted, of course," Cedric gave a relenting snicker. His lips had parted to fire back another quip only to be interrupted by the security officer. The Jedi watched the guard warily, though he relented when the man asked for their cooperation.

The talks were thankfully shorter than he'd expected. Most officials made a point to waste as much of your time as possible before they would let you go, Jedi especially. Either the force was working in Cedric's favor today, or this sort of activity was common enough to be a routine for the guardsmen. Cedric suspected the latter.

"Does this sort of thing happen a lot here?" He asked, though his expression showed that he already knew the answer. Much of the galaxy had been consumed by the chaos that followed the intergalactic wars. The last great war had shaken the galaxy enough to shatter the majority of the galactic powers. Most of the galaxy's population had recovered from their fall, but the outer rim still reeled from the effects. Cedric found himself understanding why some Jedi chose to leave the order to serve the people forgotten by the stars.

"I'll take you up on that," he murmured, a faint smile finding its way onto his features. Eyes the color of storm clouds peered up at Mirax. "Believe it or not, rescuing damsels is one of my rarer duties," he rose to his feet, "I was actually on my way back home to Deneba."

A pause.

"But I can hold off on the trip for a bit. Where are we getting this tea?"

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

"I wouldn't know; I never spend a lot of time in any one hospital, to be honest," Mirax replied to the rhetorical question with a slight shrug. And by way of explanation, she added, "I am addicted to motion. That, and the fact that there are so many people out there who need help - and so many facilities are short-staffed out here - it is a great motivator to keep moving around and go where the help is needed most. This often means frequent relocation for a person with my particular skill set."

He does not really need to know I specialize in organ transplants but I suppose if he does ask, I will simply tell him. Can't hide the truth from a Jedi - and the way this one looks at me, I could swear - he is reading me like a book.

Still, the Jedi accepted her invitation to tea and that in itself was encouraging, even if Mirax found looking into those intense, stormy blue eyes of his rather unsettling. Was he actually attempting humor just now? she wondered, watching her companion rise to his full height.

You're imposing, I give you that, Cedric. I almost prefer you sitting down.

"I'm glad I helped you fulfill a rare duty on your task list. I am sure it is quite long," Mirax blushed furiously, looking away as if attempting to re-orientate herself in an effort to find the nearest exit. "Not to worry though - I won't keep you from returning home - I just figured buying you a drink was the least I could do in gratitude for your saving my life. Also . . . " she peered up at the man, contemplating the one question she was unsure how to answer without coming across as a complete ignoramus, "I have no idea where to go . . . but I thought perhaps we could grab a speeder taxi and ask the driver to suggest a decent place to enjoy a cup of stim tea?"

Her gaze finally found the exit sign before turning back to settle upon the Jedi's chiseled features.

I am giving all damsels in distress, a bad name . . .

This girl felt the force.

Cedric knew it the moment her lips parted. The way they curled into a blushing smile only seemed to accentuate Cedric's realization: Mirax was one of a terrible few that could help stem the tide of chaos. The knight's thoughts instantly shifted toward absconding with Mirax back to Denaba, but then that wasn't going to work was it?

There were not enough teachers left to show her the ways. Even if they did return in a timely fashion, her training there would be stunted due to the lack of educators. That wasn't even thinking about the possibility that she very well may decide to simply ignore her force sensitivity.

So many had lately. Jedi were rare these days, and their lives were almost always short.

The thump of the cab door pulled Cedric from his thoughts.

"Have you ever met another Jedi? Perhaps before the fall of the Republic?" The knight regarded her with honest curiosity. If another had passed her over before, then perhaps there were unwelcome qualities in the girl that he did not see. He was no Jedi Master, and he had to admit that his excitement could have clouded his judgement.

The cabby mentioned something about a caf joint up the block. Cedric handed him a credit chip to shut him up.

"I ask because you feel odd. Most people are like a stone within the force. They're present, and you would notice it if they were gone, but they don't draw any attention to themselves."

Silence fell over the cab as rain spattered against the windows. Neon lights from the buildings on either side cast the duo in a rainbow of sloughing colors. Cedric turned to give Mirax a wary smile. "You do."

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

It took but a moment to hail a taxi. They took their seats as Mirax pondered the man's question, wondering if there was some trick to it. Was it not blatantly obvious that she had not met a Jedi before this? Not that you could tell one apart in a sea of others, unless he had his signature saber out or caused living bodies to achieve an unnatural flight path with a gentle flick of his wrist.

"No, you would be the first," Mirax responded at long last, snapping her safety belt into place. "Should I have? You make it sound like they are fruit flies - I believe your kind is more obscure than you think."

He is reading me again - probably wondering what I hide beneath the near-flawless veneer of youth and bravado.

Just then, the cabby offered to take them to a cafe up the block; Cedric seemed to like the idea because he offered the man a credit chit which the driver happily accepted as the taxi began to move in the indicated direction.

I am odd? Maybe it's because what I do is seen as grossly unethical in my field.

"I did not mean to draw attention to myself. In fact, had that man not attacked me before, you'd likely fail to take any notice of me."

Or would you?

The smile he flashed was creepy; it made Mirax feel very unsettled and self-conscious at the same time.

"Still, say what you say is true - if I am not like a stone, then what am I like - in your mind?" The question came up just as the vehicle pulled over to the curb facing the coffee shop. The driver leaned back and quoted a paltry sum as the Lorrdian reached into her purse to settle the account.

We’re far more rare than we used to be.” The words held more weight than Cedric had intended. The knight cringed at the reality they represented. The Sith were at their zenith, the Jedi at the lowest they had been in a very long time.

A quiet sigh fell from his lips. “There weren’t many Jedi when I was born. My father was one of the last. Only a handful are left, and they’re particularly difficult to organize.

That much was true. The youth’s eyes narrowed as he watched the rain crash against the concrete outside. A paltry sum, was paid to the cabbie, and then he was on his way. The force had brought them all together, but then the duo were likely to never see that man again.

Funny how that worked.

You’re more like a bird,” Cedric opened the door for her, “A very loud, colorful bird. The kind of bird that starts singing outside your window in the early hours of the morning.” The words were laced with a teasing tone.

Cedric wasted no time in securing them a booth near one of the building’s windows. He ordered a cup of caf when the waiter came by.

You’re force sensitive Mirax. Were you born twenty years earlier, the order would have grabbed you when you were a child. You were never found after the order fell,” the caf rose to his lips. “You’re one in a billion. that’s why I asked if you were just a doctor.

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

More rare, he said, placing emphasis on the words whether he realized it or not. Mirax listened carefully, nodding when he had finished. "It is the quality, not the quantity, that matters," she said, her voice sounding more grave than Mirax wanted it to. "The Jedi can rebuild; heck, they could even thrive - all they have to do - is want it."

In the back of her mind, the Lorrdian could not help but wonder whether their antithesis - the Sith - were the real reason behind the muted cringe.

"Your father was a Jedi? I hope you were lucky enough to benefit from his wisdom," she spoke quietly now, hoping the tone of her voice would help set the man at ease. He did not seem as relaxed as before when they had spoken in the hospital.

He must be recalling some unpleasant memories. Truths that were perhaps, not easy even for a Jedi, to face.

Moments later, Mirax could not even recall the brief walk from the cab to the cafe, choosing the booth they were both now in, or ordering her refreshment - for that matter. Her eyes were alight with wonder at the poetry of his words that came before; words that made her imagine herself to be a beautiful popinjay--

"Force-sensitive? Well, all the good it ever did me," she grinned, shaking her head. He had to be mistaken; not once in her brief lifetime did the young woman sense any unknown, latent abilities that would make her think such a thing. The idea of it being the case made her fingers tremble as they held the cup of tea, and only the fact that Mirax became suddenly aware of her dexterity slipping away - was she able to react in time by cupping the vessel with both hands.

"Actually, I apologize. That was a very insensitive and ignorant thing to say. But even if it is true, right now I am still just a doctor. Perhaps I will never be anything more than that. Unless . . ." a thoughtful gaze locked with the man's stormy blue eyes, " . . . unless I get fortunate enough to put whatever this is that I supposedly have - to good use. It is of no benefit to myself, or anyone, laying dormant and locked, inside of me."

"You have a point. I suppose we'll just have to leave you as an untapped resource," Cedric mused as he sipped away at his caf. He gave no inclination in his tone or body language that he might be joking, save for the faint smile that crept up at the corners of his mouth. "Normally adults can't be taken in for training, but there are special cases. It really all comes down to the dedication of the students. Some catch on and learn months of material in days. Others can barely manage to move a rock a year in," the youth shrugged.

"Doctors are a rarity. Jedi even more so. Choosing the latter would be rescinding the hypocrattic oath in favor of a higher calling. Are you prepared to go back on such vows?" The knight eyed Mirax with intense curiosity. The smile remained, but it was cool and calculating now. He was testing Mirax, of that she could be sure. The question was whether or not she was passing, or even what the test really was.

He had little intention of answering honestly.

"Tell me about your past. Any family, old lovers, children?" A brow was quirked, "All these things have an affect on one's candidacy for the order. Even if there are only a handful of us, I can't risk taking in a student that might be especially susceptible to the dark side's cancerous influence."

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

As the Jedi knight talked, Mirax saw a subtle pattern emerge. He would always inject a little humor, pull back, then finish off with just the right dose of optimism. The Lorrdian had to keep her own feelings well in check, and not react at every stage of Cedric's 'revelations'.

He is testing me. Seeing how I respond to everything he says and does. He fears something. No, maybe 'fear' is not the right word - but he is most definitely cautious. An unpolished weapon is unpredictable. Perhaps his mind sees me as such . . .

Her gaze lowered under the lash of Cedric's intense scrutiny. His first question demanded an answer and it had to be an honest one. Mirax was certain the Jedi would know it if she were attempting to circumvent the truth. A small smile brought forth a set of dimples as she timidly shook her head.

"I am prepared to do what I must, to fulfill my destiny."

What does that even mean? My destiny - or so I thought - was to help save the lives of the helpless and the weak. Will I no longer be able to do this, if I should forsake the life of a civilian in favor of learning how to be like Cedric?

Her thoughts fled as a man's familiar voice pitched another inquiry. Mirax listened carefully, her facial features relaxing in light of the comment that augmented Cedric's pointed question. That last part, especially, helped cement the Lorrdian's previous suspicions about her companion's private concerns regarding new Jedi hopefuls.

"There is not much to say. My family is dead, and I have no lovers or children."

When would I have time to amass lovers or offspring? Just how old do I look to him? Did he just suggest that he -could- teach me?

Her eyes widened at the realization but Mirax forced down her excitement and covered by taking a long sip of her tea. "You speak as if . . . from personal experience," Mirax finally said, lifting her eyes to his. "But you do not know me, and only if you decide to get to know me - will you know that which I already do - and that is, that I cannot be bought or tricked or seduced by some quick or easy way to success. There is nothing the dark side can offer, that I cannot refuse."

"There are very few in this world that can speak that sentence so confidently," a hint of amusement found its way into Cedric's words. The Jedi Knight had regarded Mirax with a quiet curiosity, though he had doubted anything would come of their meeting. She was older than most students were ever allowed to be, and the ties she had formed with others would effect her once she started down the path.

Still, there was something about that confidence...

"There's no such thing as destiny. The Force will try to guide us toward where we need to go, but ultimately the final choice is ours. There's no god guiding my hand," The caf was drained, but Cedric didn't seem to mind. His thoughts were drifting toward far more important topics.

"Close your eyes," as he instructed, so too did he act. The Jedi Knight lowered down into his chair, his mind recoiling into itself. From there he felt the ever present connection to the Great Ocean that had come to rule him in recent times. "Follow your instincts. The Force is like a Great Ocean in which we all reside. Most people are islands within its great depths. Some of us can affect the way the ocean's currents move around us, if we wish. We can submerge ourselves into this ocean while most others cannot."

A gloved hand was offered. "Reach out. Tell me what you see."

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

Not meaning to sound overconfident, Mirax flushed red but said nothing. So she was no longer a child, but she was no less capable of following instruction? To top it off, Cedric argued that one's destiny did not exist. The young woman disagreed; since the day she could read a book, Mirax believed her fate was tied to helping others. Even now, it felt . . . inevitable. She was about to mutter something to that effect, when suddenly and unexpectedly, a wave of humility stirred inside the Lorrdian, bringing all of her uneasy thoughts to a quiet pause.

He was speaking again, directing Mirax to close her eyes. She did so without hesitation, listening in silence as Cedric instructed her to close her eyes and follow her instincts. He spoke of the Force as an immense ocean, and of the living beings within, as islands. She absorbed the Jedi's words carefully, uncertain whether she could do what he asked of her.

Reach out. Tell me what you see.

Mirax did not respond at first, ever so slowly immersing her mind in the warm aura of the Force. Reaching out with her thoughts, it seemed as every fiber of her being was being pulled in as well, carrying her to a previously unknown dwelling place. In time, her body seemed weightless, drifting upon a warm web that felt connected to all living things. Her consciousness too, expanded to see and feel everything around her, especially in close proximity. For a moment, it felt as if the entire galaxy around her, had stilled. The effort was surprisingly taxing, and Mirax could not maintain it for long. Her eyes snapped open and she stared at Cedric with a look of utter disbelief on her face. Was he putting these thoughts in her mind? She knew that Jedi could influence weaker minds; was that what this test was all about? Disregarding her mounting concerns, Mirax began to speak, her voice quiet yet firm.

"It felt as if . . . as if I was moving through time, though everything seemed to slow to a point where I could almost see myself linger in a blink of an eye as if it were a minute. I could see each previous moment as time unfolded, so long as it was almost comfortable for me to think about it - or even act. But I could not keep up this sensation for very long - it was mentally draining, and I felt all strength seep from my body the longer I strove to hold onto the vision of what I felt."

Falling silent at last, Mirax looked to her tea cup, feeling as devoid of energy as it was empty of the sweet liquid it once held.

Well, at least his suspicions were correct. For most, Mirax’s first foray into the realm of the ethereal went unnoticed. The monumental shifts within the tides of the Great Ocean that it caused failed to resonate in any meaningful way in those around them. Everyone here was deafened to the force, save for the two of them.

“That sounds about right,” Cedric adopted a reassuring smile as he experienced the after effects of her attempt. He took note of her awakening just as anyone would notice a large island sinking beneath the waves. For a moment, Mirax had managed to truly center herself within the force - a task that often took years of training to achieve.

“Something tells me you’ve been tapping into the force without thinking about it. It’d help to explain why you’re such a good doctor,” the smile shifted into something more confident, as if Cedric was happy enough simply knowing his suspicions were correct.

“That, or you’re naturally skilled. Or both.” The youth snickered, “You definitely have the gift. I suppose the question now is what you intend to do with it, if anything at all.”

That was the question, wasn’t it? Mirax clearly knew of the Jedi, though whether she would be interested in dropping her life for them was something else entirely. Of the few candidates capable of calling upon the force, a scant few had chosen to actually train with the order. It had all proven to be rather disheartening for Cedric, to say the least.

But Mirax was different. Something in his gut told him so, and thus he waited for her answer.

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

Sounds about right? Mirax wondered if Cedric was merely humoring her at this point or if he was actually in the earnest. Given that his smile seemed rather encouraging, the Lorrdian opted to believe the latter. As for what she had just done, the young woman thought of it more akin to the process of self-hypnosis, rather than centering oneself in the Force? Still, she resolved to keep that thought to herself and continued to listen to her companion, nodding in subtle acknowledgment every now and then.

"You could be right; I do not know. All I know is that it was always easy for me to concentrate when in surgery, it was almost as if I could see every action to be taken before it would actually happen. It was very reassuring," she admitted quietly, her gaze lifting to meet Cedric's - ignoring the man's snicker as she pondered her answer to his final question.

"What -I- intend? There isn't much -I- can do, personally. But I wager you do - or at the very least, you know someone that could help me . . . develop it? That is, if you don't think it's already too late. I've let it sit dormant inside me for over two decades, so I am hardly the ideal pupil for most Jedi out there. It would be a huge leap of faith on the part of both the student and the teacher, to engage in an experiment with such uncertain outcomes, don't you think?"

Looking away for a moment, Mirax flagged down a server droid and promptly ordered a refill of her tea.

"It certainly isn't beyond the scope of my ability," Cedric mused. The knight fell silent as he appraised Mirax. If he took her in now, he would be doing so during a time of turmoil. The Sith and their imperial lackeys were on the move once again, with many reports suggesting their forces moving on a war footing toward the south. If such information was true, then the war that would follow was going to be a long and bloody one. This many galactic powers had not been pulled into a conflict together in centuries.

"I know people that could teach you. I could teach you," he paused, "But there is a lot of risk to that. A doctor's skills could transfer into the Order relatively easily, but it's a hard and thankless life. No Jedi ever draws a sword for the glory that it will bring him, but instead to protect those around him."

The caf was set aside. Cedric opted to do the same with his connection to the force, choosing to slow the rate at which it fed him information. Doing so allowed him to focus fully on Mirax, giving the woman his undivided attention.

"There's also a war that could break out any day now. I intend to fight in it on the side of democracy. If you came with me, you would be dragged in too."

[member="Mirax Eygan"]

The Lorrdian's gaze never wavered from that of Cedric's quiet scrutiny. The fact that he did not back away or consider her an unnecessary risk not worth taking, was certainly encouraging. And he also knew others that could teach her; another element to her advantage. Sure, she was -a- risk, but that was the case with most everyone, even if they were a Youngling. Anyone could turn from the Jedi path; being an adult did not mean Mirax had a greater chance of doing so. In fact, it could perhaps be a point in her favor - since her personality was already formed. And if that personality was aligned with all that was expected of a Jedi - then all she had to do, was stay the course.

"I want you to teach me."

Almost immediately, the young woman colored bright red, blood rushing to her cheeks. The words she spoke were all too true, but in her mind, they lacked humility and restraint. Still, they made her position abundantly clear. Worst that could happen? He could deny her, and she would return to her unorthodox and hazardous lifestyle, trying to better the quality of life for the downtrodden and the debilitated. As for the war Cedric mentioned . . .

"I have been thrust into a war between good and evil for as long as I remember, so whatever battle you are heading into, I will not be deterred. Let me come with you, and I will do my best to be of some use to your cause. Our . . .cause," Mirax corrected herself quietly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom