Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Thunder Before the Lightning (Invite)

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]_____________________________________________________________________[/SIZE]​

Laboratory Logbook - Elanil Saedaris

Test number 480 - Molecular disruption device - Failed - Reason: Catastrophic Mechanical Failure in the High Energy Pressurization Coil

Well, I'll take what I can get. At least this time, it didn't break the safety glass, and my hearing is relatively intact. Relatively being the key word today. I'm certain the ringing will be there for hours to come. At least it was a less than spectacular explosion, and there is still much of the test room as well as the MD intact. A marked improvement over test 479. One does wonder if it was heard back at the Villa or not.... I'd prefer not to have to deal with more noise complaints. Stars forbid I should interrupt the rituals of

I suppose I'll have to reinforce the HEPC with an alloy more purposed for such heat and pressure levels created by the super-heated plasma. The power unit, still leaves me with many concerns about how it might handle the large demands of the Hadron collider.

I do have to admit there is some success with this most recent test... judging by the two meter hole in the target dummy as well as the wall behind it, I would venture to say that progress is being made. A sample of both will be taken for further testing to see if in fact things are being ripped apart on the subatomic level.

The hole in the wall is problematic as well. It should not have occurred considering the level of shielding we had around the block to contain the reaction. However, the containment was breached with this test, before the device ultimately failed. One does wonder though, if it so easily pierces the energy shielding we put in place, then I suppose that may bode well for it's uses against ships, and their shielding, which really isn't that far off of what we have in the test space now.

Dr. Saedaris

_____________________________________________________________________​

With that Elanil signed out of her logbook, and pushed herself back from the desk in her lab. Striding purposefully, she left behind the work space and headed down a lengthy hallway to the testing area, going through multiple security checkpoints along the way. A sigh came as she entered the test range, a giant concrete and durasteel chamber that could have easily housed your average frigate, with room to spare. The blackened remains of the molecular disruption device lay front and center as she approached the still smoking remains. Other scientists and aides scurried about the room, picking up pieces of it here and there that had been blown off when the coil had blown.

A most frustrated sigh, escaped her lips as she started to inspect what was left of her little baby now. It seemed such a shame to her, that so much effort went into each test, sometimes weeks if not months, and every time when something went wrong with the thing, it had a tendency to explode, and set them back yet again. Time and again, this was the same process. Such was the price of great scientific discoveries, and advancements in warfare. All of it took a great amount of time, blood, sweat, and tears from everyone involved in the project from the top down. Idly Elanil wondered what the Firemane CEO and VP would think of the expenditure sheets from this particular test. She could only wonder how much it cost for each failure.

Another sigh, and she picked at a piece of melted wiring between the power unit and the first barrel of the collider, and rubbed her fingers across the melted and solidified material that had surrounded the metal within. "So much effort, so much time, and here we are, yet again."

She shook her head as she pulled away from the machine and started down towards the other end of the testing area, to where the dummy block stood, as well as a now open wall into the next room. Thankfully the second room, had been an empty storage room, with no one in it at the time. Otherwise, she imagined she'd be hearing from someone to complain about what was acceptable risks, and what was in fact not an acceptable risk.

The shielding behind the dummy block, should have kept it from piercing the wall behind, but it didn't. That was something that concerned her, but at the same time intrigued her. "Shouldn't be doing that, but if it pierces the same shielding down here, that they carry on starships," She knew it was exactly that shielding, after all she'd ordered it herself, "Then I suppose that bodes well for it's capabilities once the power situation can be solved. Though it does leave me with the small problem of not being able to contain the experiment." She spoke to no one in particular. The redhead did have a small eccentric habit of talking to herself.

"Perhaps I need to request a work space on the station for future testing to prevent any damage to life or property." Truly, she didn't care about property or life but her own. However, she did care about continuing her own, and so she had to put up with such notions. Not only that, she knew too well if the experiment got out of hand, it could take her life, and all of the other researchers in the R&D offices. And while she may not much respect other's lives, she did respect the intellect of most of the researchers there. Which made putting up with them it aid in her own projects, worth her time. "The mundanes would complain otherwise."

The redhead turned to one of the workers beside her. "I need samples of both the block, what's left of it," She spoke as she glanced up to the ceiling where a piece had embedded itself. There wasn't much left of it, if any at all at ground level. "As well as the wall over here." Pointing to the smoking hole that, in truth, should not be there right now. But it was. It was an anomaly that had to be worked out. Figured out. They needed some kind of containment field for testing, and right now, she really wasn't in the mood for having to create something capable of holding back the power of the MD device. "Have them sent to my lab, at once." She said coldly, and then headed from the room, back down to her own personal lab.

Back within the quiet space of her lab, Elanil started back to work writing a series of notes, and mathematical formulas across a large white board, idly mumbling to herself the entire time. Right now there were three main problems to work out, containment, power, and pressurization coil. Each unique in their own way. Three entirely different problems, not even slightly related to one another, and all equally frustrating to the scientist.

As she finished writing out her last forumla, with far too many variables that she didn't have the data for, Elanil heard her door slide open. Holding the pen in hand still, she glanced back at the aid who had two small sample containers in hand. "We did out best to make sure the sample of the dummy block, was not contaminated. However, it cannot be ruled out entirely as it was rather deeply embedded in the ceiling."

A most severe frown spread across her lips. "Disappointing. You'll need to do better next time." She snapped, highly annoyed with the aid, and the situation. Crossing the room, she took both from him. "Leave me." She growled, certainly unhappy for certain. And judging by the way the aid raced to the door, rumors had gotten around about it being unsafe to be around the redhead when she was 'unhappy'. It was a life and limb kind of risk to take hanging around her once the redheaded side of her took over. The woman was a grouch on even the best of days, add into it, being an Eldorai and a redhead.... Well there was a saying about suicide, and redheads needing warning stickers. And this woman was no exception to that.

Striding back over to one of the lab tables, Elanil set the samples down alongside an incredibly powerful electron microscope, capable of seeing beyond the atomic level. A sigh came as she moved off to a cabinet on the far side of the room, gathering gloves, slide trays, and a few other tools, placing them neatly on a tray before returning to the workstation. There she placed on a set of safety goggles and worked to prepare the first sample, dumping used tools into a sterilization vat sitting nearby. A time consuming process for certain, to get even the first sample ready for examination. Perhaps a half hour, maybe more passed, truly Elanil barely noticed the time at all.

Finally she had her first slide ready, doing a quick check, she confirmed that in fact this prepared sample would do for the testing she needed to do. Though there was still plenty more of the sample if she truly needed another slide, but she doubted that would be necessary. Setting that sample aside, she moved on to the next, repeating the entire process in a most painstaking manner. This time, she prepared four different slides considering this was the sample from the test room's ceiling and she couldn't be certain on contamination from other particles getting tangled up in what she truly needed to look at.

After a most lengthy amount of time spent looking at the samples and Elanil writing extensive notes on the subject matter, she pushed her stool away from the electron microscope with a heavy sigh. Her stomach was beginning to protest highly at the lack of food. It'd been some hours since she'd even stopped to think about food much less eat. At least the results from the samples she'd gotten where as expected which meant the device was working as intended. There were just a few kinks to work out, with the power source, and making sure they had something that could contain the MD's power. She definitely was going to have to ask for a work space on the space station so she could test the device in space without worry of harming the mundanes.

As she pushed away from her desk, she wrote a couple more notes quickly on a small note pad to remind her of things for later. But for now it was time for lunch. With another sigh, she worked her way through all the security check points as her stomach began to rumble and protest even louder at the lack of food. Each minute she stood in the security lines the more impatient she got, just eager to leave and find something to eat. Anything really.

Finally she managed to escape the Firemane Research and Development building and headed off downtown to one of the finer restaurants, after all, Elanil while a simple woman, did have high class tastes. After some time of walking she came to a restaurant, known as Orion's Nebula. The place was definitely fit for the upper class and seemed just the place for a lady like her to have a fine meal, enjoy a simple drink and then get back to work.

Walking inside she nodded to the hostess. "Reservation for Saedaris, for one." She said softly.

"Of course madam, right this way." And with that she was whisked off to a table, and seated alone. Though the table was clearly meant for two. The hostess handed her a menu quickly.

"Your waitress will be right with you, miss." Elanil said nothing in reply as she started to browse through today's lunch options trying to find something to calm her stomach a little bit and actually enjoy herself for a little while. Something she rarely ever got the chance to. Lunches typically were her only true downtime. Else wise her brain was always busy thinking upon one project or another.

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

[member="Elanil Saedaris"]

As chance would have it, the cranky scientist would not be alone for long. See, someone with her genius level intellect was bound to attract attention, whether she wanted it or not. Especially because she happened to be a redheaded space elf, which made her a special snowflake twice over! Moreover, the Vice President of Firemane Industries happened to be taking a personal interest in her project to create a molecular disruption device and Siobhan was the sort to...direct this personally.

Of course, it was just a coincidence that Siobhan happened to be going to the same restaurant. After all, the Orion's Nebula was the sort of fancy, upper class place she liked and had frequented a number of times. The patrons and the restaurant staff had gotten used to her. In fact they liked her so much that there was a waitress who was...awfully eager to provide the Countess with some special attention in the restroom most of the times when she came over to visit. The food was gourmet, the waitresses were all young and pretty and the music was classy. So it was just the place for Siobhan to go after some negotiations and work at the office relating to the creation of fortifications on Dahomey.

And so it came to pass that just after Elanil sat down at her table and browsed through what was available for lunch that Her Royal Hotness herself entered the restaurant. A 'journalist' working for the popular tabloid Ashira's Angels had coined the moniquer after a photoshooting. As is well-known, when an aristocrat appears on the scene she is expected to appear haughty and carry herself with the air of someone who owns the place and thinks you go down on your knees and kiss her feet. If that was what was expected then Siobhan did not disappoint as she walked inside, chin held high, standing tall and proud. She was dressed in an ivory wrap blouse and a nice black skirt that was still decent while offering an enticing view of her toned legs. Small earrings completed the setup. Much to her annoyance she was forced to use a cane for support and had a strong limp, but she still managed to appear regal despite it.

Needless to say the hostess was there to greet her herself and curtseyed politely. Siobhan always liked it when people bowed before her."Lady Countess, welcome. It is a great honour to have you inside our humble restaurant as a guest,"she said sycophantically because everyone knew Siobhan really liked having her ego puffed up. Given the fact that there were rumours about her force choking people for displeasing her, it was perhaps the best to err on the side of caution and treat her like royalty.

"Thank you, Tiara. You don't have to be so formal though. We're such good friends after all," Siobhan said jovially, though she still managed to sound self-important while she was at it. The hostess gave the Lady's hand a kiss - needless to say her nails were perfectly manicured! - and then Siobhan pulled her in for a kiss on the lips. "I'm afraid I haven't reserved a place in advance. Work was busy."

"That's no problem at all, my Lady. There'll always be a spot for you. Your favourite one has been reserved for you. I'll have Elana serve you," the hostess said graciously and then turned on her heels to guide Siobhan into the restaurant. Obviously Siobhan let her go first, which had the added benefit of giving her a good view of her butt. However, as chance would have it their route took them directly past the table where Elanil was sitting. A table that was clearly meant for to. It was like the Force was pulling them together! Well, more likely it was due to the dictates of Force Plot.

Anyhow, Siobhan immediately noticed the redhead and stopped, giving her a smile. This writer will not for a moment claim that it was disarming or anything like that. "Doctor Saedaris, isn't it? What a coincidence. A pleasure to meet you. Siobhan Kerrigan. I've heard much about your work." Unfortunately for the doctor, Siobhan had no intention of leaving her alone. Any attempt to drive her away would just make her more determined, much like a kath hound on a trail.

Elanil glanced up from her menu, and took note of her boss, well one of them that wrote the checks that kept her research funded. As much as she didn't care for the more mundane people there were a handful she had to cater to none the less. "Yes, yes it is. Countess Kerrigan, I presume?" The cold, cool collectedness was all that was noticeable upon the woman's face for she did not return the smile at all. Kerrigan for all her glory, just did not impress the scientist. Well, in truth few did. Very few in fact. Well, the only people to impress her she could count on one hand. And those in her book were the people worth knowing.

"I'm pleased to hear you've taken an interest in my work." That at least made her remotely happy though she didn't let it show. It did no good to stroke the ego of the lesser minded folks. They might get ideas, and that was dangerous! "It's a rather delightfully challenging experiment I must admit. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning."

"For what do I owe this pleasure?" She asked coldly, not really interested in the answer. "Perhaps business related? I must admit I have to apologize about the explosion that rocked half the city the other day. Unintended consequences of unconventional weapons." The redhead said matter-of-factly. "Just part of the job. Though the building repairs may take a while. Not my department, however."

Unfortunately for Elanil her coldness was not a deterrent at all. Quite the opposite in fact. The more ardent the refusal, the more intriguing and desirable Siobhan would find her. She was already a special snowflake simply because she was both a redhead and a space elf. And things would only get worse if Siobhan found out that the Eldorai was over one hundred and twenty years and still a virgin.

"Yes, I heard. Quite an impressive bang. Hell of a lot of work to clear the mess away, but if it pierces the same shielding a starship uses that's promising," Siobhan said with a smile. She had obviously noticed Elanil's cold tone but was not paying attention to it! Siobhan had a few positive qualities, for instance she was surprisingly motherly and caring to Galina, the wild girl she had found in the wilderness. Unfortunately she was incapable of taking 'no' for an answer when it came from pretty women and seemed to think everything was about her. So without actually asking whether she was welcome she sat down at the table, taking the seat opposite of Elanil.

"I guess our meeting is quite fortuitous. I'd like to hear about the state of your project. I hear you're making adjustments. Perhaps you can elaborate on the weapon design in detail. Best to hear from the talented woman actually designing it rather than just through reports," at that she briefly looked at the hostess, who was still standing there like a good sycophant. "I'll be seated here. Could you please make sure that we have some privacy and are undisturbed?"

In other words if a couple had reserved the table right next to them Siobhan expected the restaurant management to kindly send them somewhere else! Nonetheless the hostess nodded. If she felt like muttering a curse she kept it well hidden. "Of course, my Lady. It won't be a bother. Waitress will be here in a moment," the woman said obediently and departed.

Elanil nodded slowly, taking a sip of her water looking rather bored if anything. Truly she didn't want her peaceful lunch disturbed but then Siobhan did something she shouldn't have, asked to discuss her project! So much for having a non-working lunch. It seemed that was back on the table and immediately put her mind back into overdrive.

Though she was a bit annoyed that the Countess invited herself to her table without asking for an invitation first, but at least she could discuss science projects and perhaps weasel more funding from Firemane and that ALWAYS was a plus. "I suppose I can spend my only quiet break today with you, discussing such." It couldn't be helped. The witchiness was just in her nature. "You could have made an appointment at my office though. I'm always happy to discuss my work." When it comes to who funds it.... Else wise don't let the door hit you on the way out...

"In truth the Little Doctor." Though there was nothing little about the device. "MD for short, while lengthy project has been largely a success, despite setbacks." Her definition of success was rather different from most. The science was working, even if the engineering wasn't quite up to par, so success! She actually managed a slight upturn of her lips now that she was talking of her baby. Though it certainly was no smile. "The explosion actually proved the concept does work. It did more than pierce traditional starship shielding, and obliterated not only the test block but a secondary shield to contain the experiment, hence the explosive reaction and the obliterated storage room and back part that section of the building."

The waitress returned to their side to take their orders. "Just the house special, and a single glass of wine." She'd been a bit too distracted to truly look over the menu and select something. So she'd have to live at the chef's mercy today. She waited patiently for Siobhan to order, per social protocol.

After the women did so, she spoke again, "The design is unique using a style of device similar to old Hadron Colliders which are used to create an atomic state in which electrons cannot be shared. When this happens, the molecule splits into separate atoms, which create a chain reaction in inducing a similar splitting state in surrounding mass. Theoretically, the larger the object, the more powerful the weapon actually becomes. Though that has yet to be truly tested, nor can we safely do so on the ground."

A sigh came as she knew this was the part where she had to ask for a new testing area, which meant more funding and a shift of her staff. "It's something that needs to be moved into space to safely test the full power of, on the ground all I can say is it works save for a small kink with the power reactor for the device not capable of sustaining the power needed for the device's demands for more than a brief moment before it well ... " There was a small pause. How did she put this nicely? "Bursts into flames with a bit of a bang. We're still picking bits of the reactor off the ceiling of the test room. A high energy pressurization coil is rather problematic handling the super heated plasma ran through it, still working to find the appropriate alloy and design to keep the device functional. I'm nearly certain the new option being worked on now will be more successful than the current material." As long as it didn't explode in just a few seconds after ignition of the MD, she'd be happy. Though, she imagined those paying the bills might mind a little if it didn't improve a bit more significantly.

Elanil now had the undivided attention of Lady Kerrigan. Whether she wanted or not. As has been said, the thought that a beautiful woman might want to enjoy a moment of peace and quiet without spending time with her did not enter Siobhan's mind even for a moment. After all, how could a beautiful woman not want to spend time with her? If the gentle reader were to conclude that Siobhan was terribly narcissistic, then they would be absolutely correct.

"I'm always happy to spend my time with a beautiful woman who's a genius and to hear about the great work she's doing. We don't just have to talk about work though, doctor, as fascinating as yours truly is," she said sweetly. Yes, the redhead certainly had her complete and total attention. So much that Siobhan did not even notice the attractive waitress come over. It was a blonde Eldorai called Elana, who usually served Siobhan for some reason. The girl had a vey eager look on her face and for some reason she had unbuttoned a few top buttons on her blouse. Not enough to look indecent, since this was a respectable establishment, but enough to entice and make you want to see more.

"Welcome to our establishment, Lady Kerrigan," she said perkily, after having noted Elanil's order. She looked a bit like she was just waiting for Siobhan to order her to go on her knees and kiss her feet. "What would you like?"

"A nerfsteak and macaroni cheese please. And a glass of red wine. I'll pay." Aww, wasn't Siobhan being sweet? Paying for the good doctor. Again whether Elanil wanted that or not.

"As you wish. If there's anything you need, just call. I am here to serve," the waitress said sycophantically. Briefly her hand travelled over Siobhan's and stroked it gently before turning away and departing. Her hips swayed enticingly and Siobhan would have gotten a good view if she had been interested. Unfortunately, it seemed Elanil would not escape her attention, especially after she launched into a fascinating decription of the groundbreaking weapon she was creating. Most of the science talk was probably beyond Siobhan and went over her head, but she did listen with rapt attention.

"That sounds like a beautiful weapon. It's something we could mount on the Tirathana Skyport once it's finalised? How destructive do you estimate the MD could be? I'm sure we can arrange some tests in space. We could put it on an asteroid and test it out against targets. Captured corsair and Bando Gora ships, even outdated craft the Eldorai navy's scrapping anyway. Then we can test its capabilities without always blowing up your lab or waking half of Santaissa up. What is the new option you're exploring for the power supply?"

From a slightly cynical perspective, using it on an asteroid had the advantage that if they screwed up, only the people directly working on the machine would be killed and the asteroid might blow up, instead of tearing a hole into Santaissa! That said Siobhan could not help but notice Elanil's exquisite fashion sense! "Nice clothes by the way, I must say. You bought those from The Lady's Haven? I shop there sometimes. They have the finest silk wares and great customer service." One wondered whether Elanil knew what went on in the backroom!

Oh it most certainly was unwanted attention! Elanil ... well let's just put this nicely... science truly is her lady. The poor nerdy woman still was a complete and total virgin, and well the attentions of an attractive woman, were something she was just not used to.

She'd mostly been overlooked for her sister in all her force using glory while she whittled away at the beast of progress and developing the most dangerous weapons one could imagine. Though humorously enough the woman could come up with some extremely creative and lethal weapons but outside that realm, totally innocent.... Totally. Yup.... This writer might some day believe that oddity of the rare redhead elf sitting before Siobhan.

Though there was some ego stroking going on that Elanil had not received in some time. "I appreciate to know good work of the brilliant has been noticed." A slight hint of a pink hue soon developed upon her cheeks, but only a small hint. It had actually taken her a moment to realize the word beautiful had come out of the woman's lips. She heard Genius alright. But it took a minute for beautiful to sink in.

She couldn't recall the last time someone had actually called her beautiful. Something the Eldorai woman could not figure out. Even if it is by a monkeigh.. That happens to write my pay checks.... Ah, yes this writer recalls why that would be. The woman was a queen. A tightly wound queen, who had nothing better to do with her time than spend it nestled up to chemistry vials and super powered lasers, cause what was cooler than that?! Physical contact with another? Nope, waste of energy and precious time! Chemistry vials and super lasers it was!

It was about then that Siobhan didn't just offer to pay, but took that part of dinner over! For a moment, Elanil didn't know what to do. This is completely against social protocol! A bit flustered by that simple action but for a change the redhead managed to keep her mouth shut and not comment on it. Breaks every rule in the book.... Monkeighs....

"The molecular disruption device, she's magnificent. You really should come down to the R&D lab and have a tour sometime." Nope, this wasn't code for a date. Elanil just wanted to show off her toys! It was then that Elanil stopped for a moment and looked to the table cloth in a most odd manner, but she took a single finger and appeared to be writing something across the surface of the cloth as she did some quick calculations. "At this point, with the power problem solved, it has the potential to vaporize an entire vessel without leaving much of a trace behind. However, the recharge is rather slow. Two standard minutes with the current calculations." Yes, the ones she just did on the table. "Perhaps something larger, give or take. We aren't certain of where the energy will dissipate at and the destructive forces will cease. But it does dissipate." Perhaps it wasn't something she should have ever been testing on the ground, but alas Elanil really only thought of the science, not the lives it would destroy in the end.

The redhead nodded as her glass of wine arrived at the table. Reaching out she took a small sip from it before returning it to the table. "An asteroid for testing right now would be perfect. It would remove the risks we have with testing such a weapon on the ground." Her mind then drifted to the Skyport. "Ideally, yes it could very well be mounted on the Skyport for defenses. I just would like to have all kinks worked out before that point. Though really it isn't the location that the device is at that you have to worry with, it's where it's aimed. And as long as its something that is far away, it's rather safe." Though, safe was all relative, as it could still blow up in her face and kill many, many lives.

"The current design we have working is using Quadranium and Trimantium alloy, the strength should very well hold what we are asking of it. It should be able to carry the high heat loads and the force of the super heated plasma we're running through the high energy compression coil. Once that is fixed, barring nothing else shows up, the device would be stable." Or so the hope went. Elanil truly wanted these next tests to go well, to prove her brilliance and outshine Elayne for a change. Hey sis, so you killed a couple folks with a sword? I killed a thousand with the press of one button!

Elanil lofted a brow, seemingly surprised that Siobhan could possibly know where her clothing was from. "Yes, The Lady's Haven is my favorite shop. I really love their silk clothing. It's all elegant, tasteful, and quite lovely." For the virgin elf? Knew what happened in the backroom? Absolutely not! Being a prude was a work of art, that was for certain. But she really did love her fashion, even if it didn't show that much!

For her part Siobhan was very pleased about the way lunch was going. She had only been talking for a couple minutes and the good doctor had already invited her on a date to display her guns. And she had exquisite fashion sense. She was also working on a beautiful weapon that had the potential of causing all sorts of carnage. That Elanil was a redheaded space elf was just icing on the cake. Yes, it was good to be Siobhan Kerrigan and to have lots of money.

If the weapon could really vaporise an entire vessel, then it would be magnificient, even with a two minute recharge period. With such power it would work nicely in conjunction with planet-based defences such as the Tempest turbolaser cannons, not to mention the Eldorai fleet.

"Very impressive. I can see I have just the right woman in R&D. Beauty and brains. I'd love to come by and have a personal tour of your laboratory," Siobhan said with a smile. She found herself wondering how Elanil would react if one day she walked into the lab and found a gift-wrapped box with a pair of lovely heels or shiny jewellry in it. She grinned even more when Elanil revealed her love of shopping.

"Good to meet someone who appreciates quality fashion. I love going to the Haven. Perhaps we can visit it some time together. It's always more fun going shopping with someone who has an eye for beauty." Tegaea's evil plan to turn Siobhan from a combat boot wearing slugger into a dress wearing femme who loved pretty clothes and lipstick had all but succeeded, though she still loved a good fight an actually wore proper armour when she was in battle. Unfortunately, for Siobhan, for some reason her mannerisms tended to drive her attendants nuts when they had to go accompany her on shopping trips. "I can easily make arrangements for a field test on an asteroid. I look forward to the fireworks."

Elanil, probably couldn't have been more annoyed with lunch as a whole. Someone who broke so many social protocols in so little time was bound to get on her nerves. It was just, for her part as a scientist, these kind of lunches had to be entertained. Someone had to write the checks after all. And it could have been worse, it could have been some manling. Monkeigh was a notable step up from that. Not that she was going to stroke Sio's ego, by letting her have any knowledge of such a fact. It might just encourage her attentions even further.

"Thank you, Countess." Sticking to the woman's title for now, since that was what felt natural to her. After all, she too was rather fond of her Doctor, title. "It's been rather enjoyable working for R&D, I can't complain." Then there was that word again, beauty. Which that time, drew out a deeper shade of pink, once the redhead picked up on it, taking a moment again before she was certain she'd heard right. "I shall make the arrangements then." She said quietly, while the pink hue slowly started to fade.

"I figure if I can't be the star Angelii, that my twin is... I can at least dress twice as well, and look twice as good." Clear that when it came to competition with her sister, she did care.... A lot, and put thought into her looks because of it. Anything to show up Elayne. "It helps that the Haven has it all in one place, and I've yet to run into something I've found uncomfortable there in all the wares." For a moment, she said nothing to the offer to go shopping with her as she pondered it. It seemed like a perfectly harmless thing to do. Then again, maybe Elanil hadn't heard all the stories about Siobhan. Given how little Elanil got out, she'd probably heard only the office gossip and nothing more. "I suppose that can't be too terrible of an idea. It's not like I've anyone else to shop, with." In no way, did the Eldorai woman see it as a 'date' as society called it, but a means to an end. She could use an eye to let her know what made her butt look good, aside from her own.

Now those were words that brought a bit of an upturn of her lip, almost enough to be called a smile, but not quite. "I'd be most pleased if you could make the arrangements. It'd be a much safer test area, and we'd learn the full capabilities without the risk to lives, and disturbing the peace here at home."

"Excellent. It's a date then, Doctor," Siobhan said happily. Rest assured, she would keep a good eye on Elanil's butt and make sure that any outfit the redhead elf chose displayed its perfection.

"And star Angelii? I have not heard a word about your twin. By contrast, I've heard lots about you. The reports didn't mention your beauty though. Clearly they didn't do you justice. Besides, how many enemies of Kaeshana can she kill with a sword and fancy magic? With the right tools, you can destroy thousands at the push of a button and look good after the act." She paused to take a sip from her drink, savouring the taste. Say what you want about the Eldorai, they made great wine and she liked to consider herself as someone who had refined tastes. Soon the waitress returned, bearing the dishes with their meal. Naturally she gave Siobhan a cheery smile and served her first.

"There you go, Ladies. I hope you have a big appetite. The best just for you," she said cornily as she put the dishes on the table. Naturally her hand briefly went to Siobhan's to innocently stroke against it. It was truly customer service at its finest.

"Thank you, Elana," Siobhan said indulgently, reaching out to give the girl a kiss. Then she turned her attention to her meal and began digging in, for she had a bit of an appetite.

"Wonderful." Elanil said, a little coolly. Perhaps she was being sarcastic, it was nearly impossible to tell with her, most days.

Now that drew a bit of a surprised expression from the usually ice cold scientist. "You're the first I've met, who has not heard of Elayne before myself. She, the first born twin with all the luck and all the power." The woman said with a roll of her eyes, showing how she felt on that. "I've heard far too much of her in all my years. Family loves to crow over her." It was about time in the conversation that she got used to, or at least semi-used to the beauty word being used in context with her. This time, not picking up the pink hue she had the first couple of times. "They just don't appreciate good science." Giving a shrug, she took a sip from her wine once more, "Too progressive for them, I suppose."

Siobhan was certainly doing a fine job of saying all the right things to the Eldorai, keeping the woman's interest by not in the way one would imagine. She wouldn't noticed much less called any of this flirting. Someone, at some point was probably going to have to take her aside and tell her she'd been asked on this thing, called a date, a real date. "Though, you make a good point." For a monkeigh.... "Certainly, she can kill one or two in the time that I can take out a few thousand with the press of a single button, without breaking a sweat." Now her lips turned upwards, just a tiny bit more, into the tiniest, of tiny smiles. Probably the first smile the woman had on her lips in well over a year, maybe three.

Being the ... innocent Eldorai, that she was, Elanil averted her eyes as Siobhan kissed the other woman, and focused on the plate in front of her, a giant bowl of steaming hot soup and a salad. Enough to more than make the redhead happy, or at least satisfied. After a moment and another sip from her wine, she dug into her soup.

"I will never understand the fascination with people like her." Elanil said with a shake of her head, speaking of Elayne, a little too embarrassed to discuss anything else at the moment. "Not even if I lived to a million."

Apparently ego-stroking was the way to go. Coincidentally, that worked on Siobhan a lot as well! She had plenty of experience dealing with aristos who thought the world was about them. Besides, she had dated Adril Tythorin once. The problem was that it seemed Elanil was a bit oblivious to the fact that she was hitting on her.

Perhaps she would have to eventually become more...direct.

"All the space magic would do the Eldorai - and anyone else for that matter - little good if they did not have people with brains don't develop the high-tech technology. No offence meant, but the Elves learnt that the hard way when slaver scum came to pillage. So if that's what they think and don't appreciate your science, they're just being ignorant. I've seen more than enough examples of super-empowered forcers being mowed down by high-tech. Put them in the bubble of a ysalamiri and their powers are gone."

That probably counted as arse-kissing and ego-striking, but it was what Siobhan actually believed. After all, one of Firemane's specialities was creating bolters! Of course, the knowledge that even 'force gods' were mortal did not stop Siobhan from having a big superiority complex and constantly demanding attention because, well, she was a special snowflake!

"I appreciate good science," she said softly and raised her glass, clinking it together with Elanil's before taking a sip. When she licked her lips afterwards it was not done in a lascivious manner. Not at all. "So, on the topic of good science, Elanil - I can call you Elanil can't I, you can call me Siobhan - the latest report said that shielding wasn't possible for the MD. Could you elaborate on that please?" Naturally it did not enter Siobhan's mind for even a moment that the 'beautiful genius' might not want to be on first name basis!

Oh yes, ego stroking worked sooooo well with Elanil. Too bad the elf just didn't see the woman was hitting on her. Then again, this was the same woman who needed sarcasm explained to her. Some things just were never obvious enough to this particular redheaded elf.

Elanil scoffed, "You're talking to a woman with nine different degrees in varying fields of science. I'm a little more progressive than most in my family. They were fools then, and just the same fools now to think so lowly of the very thing that saves Eldorai lives these days." She sighed softly, it couldn't be helped when a Monkeigh had it right, and her family still couldn't see it. Sad moments, indeed for the poor Elf. "No offense taken, at all." Then a smirk. "Yes, I do so love those moments to see forcers taken down a notch or two by high-tech. Eldorai need to put more faith in the hard sciences and they might actually advance quite far in this galaxy."

Most certainly was arse-kissing and ego-stroking and Elanil was savoring every second of it she could get.

"I can tell." Returning back to her usually cold voice as the topics changed, as she clinked her glass against Siobhan's before taking a sip herself. It was then that Siobhan broke yet another of Elanil's social protocols. She'd earned her titles with years of hard work, and loved it being used. A frown creased into her features, "No one calls me Elanil. I'm much happier with Doctor." She said quietly as she took a spoonful from her soup. Part of her wanted to kick herself for not bending more, to someone who was funding her research, but even with her there were limits.

"As for the shielding.... It's been a problematic issue for us as whole." She replied as another sigh followed her words. It was just small annoyances in the larger picture of her work. But annoyances none the less. "You see, even a shield is made up of molecules and in turn electrons within those particles. Shooting through such would lead to a chain reaction in which the MD and everything around it would be vaporized as it broke down the molecules." It was a most unfortunate problem, given the beauty of the weapon itself.

"We've been tossing ideas around to overcome this very obvious flaw in the design. There however, are not many options. A shielding device could be made to cover the base of the weapon only, leaving just the twin barrels being vulnerable to attack. Alternatively, shielding which came up, during the charge time for the weapon, and dropped for the brief window needed to fire, and then brought back up again might be more idea. I, however, do have concerns with both options." Ah, there was always something, wasn't there. Nothing was perfect in her eyes, aside from the cold hard science. It was always the engineering that couldn't keep up with what science declared possible.

"No disrespect intended, Doctor. But Elanil is such a beautiful name and it fits you so well," Siobhan said sweetly. Apparently the cool tone did not faze her one bit but then the wine was exquisite...just like the good doctor, who sadly was completely oblivious.
"Speaking of developing high-tech to take down force-users, I've been wondering about creating force-nullifying collars. I know the Sith developed some way back, though sadly we haven't been able to get our hands on the technology. However, I've been wondering whether ysalamiri could be harnessed for this purpose." The other option was some sort of Sith alchemy, such as imbuing Force Drain in a metal.

"Also selfguided bullets and targeting. Terribly difficult to dodge every hit with super speed if the round adjusts and follows you anyway. I've read it's technicaly feasible." Siobhan might be tremendously proud to the point of arrogant pompousness, but though she lacked any actual scientific understanding, she had a thing for science when it came to the creation of death dealers.

However, she turned her attention back to the matter at hand and fell silent when Elanil outlined the present issues the Little Doctor was having with shielding. "I see. My gut feeling is to go with a shield that keeps it protected while it's charging-up, if the weapon's as destructive as the projections say. What concerns do you have with both options?"

"Well thank you..." Truly, she wasn't sure how to take the compliment, but it was there. "I just prefer my title. It took me long enough to earn it. Even longer to gain the respect it deserved."

Elanil took a few more bites from her soup as she listened patiently to Siobhan. "Ah, yes... a force nullification device would be rather useful to have I imagine." Not to mention it would irritate her sister to no end. "Hmmm.... Ysalamiri are a most interesting species. Very interesting properties that they have. I think it may be possible to somehow use the Ysalamiri, somehow someway to infuse a collar with the same properties. Though I imagine it's going to take a fair bit of experimentation, as well as more Ysalamiri to test on, as well as sequencing their genome to find out exactly what makes them tick and create the desirable traits that we want." It seemed a simple project, but she knew it was a vastly complex puzzle that would take time and resources alike to work through and find the solution to such. But she was willing to put in the time, if she had the funding for it.

"Mmm, yes those as we would actually probably be the easier of the two projects to figure out. Technologically, it is more than feasible, it's quite possible. We are talking miniaturizing the same technology behind guided missiles. Making it smaller and far more annoying as well as deadly." She said with a bit of a grin. There was nothing Elanil loved more than raining on the parade of force users. And the idea of self-guided bullets was just brilliant to her.

"Indeed, my thoughts were leaning to that as well." A sigh followed, "The problem with just shielding the base, leaves the obvious that the barrel would be exposed and open to attack and would have to be defended by fighters or some other weaponry. Which fighters would be at risk during any conflict, especially with that type of weapon in play. They get in the way, they are just gone..." She said softly, frowning as she hated to admit her weapons had any flaw at all, but every good weapon always had at least one! "As for shielding it during the charge up, it's the safer of the options, but leaves us with the same problem for the brief spell when it's firing.... It's going to have to be guard and people must, I cannot stress enough, must be trained to how the MD behaves, so that they are not standing in the way when it fires, because a clear line of sight is paramount to how the little doctor works. One object in the way is problematic. I have a feeling regardless we may need a group of fighters that are capable of always keeping it's target path clear. A flaw, I know, but as devastating as the weapon is, I feel it's worth it."

Unfortunately for Elanil, over the past half an hour or so she had guaranteed that Siobhan would be lapping lots of attention on her. It was doubtful that many of her meals would remain undisturbed from now on. After all, she was hot, a redhead, an elf and a super scientist who created beautiful death dealers. She also had great fashion sense. So as a consequence Siobhan would be definitely not leaving her alone.

"I see. Firemane acquired a batch of ysalamiri way back when it took out a rogue Sith base. I imagine we have a number that could be made available for experimentation, though I've been thinking about reaching out to Miri Farms. It has farms to harvest ysalamiri and specialises in carrying out research on them. Most of their products are solely for the use of the Mandalorian Clans, but exceptions may be made and the boss, [member="Mia Monroe"], is a good friend of mine."

There, this writer just finally came up with an idea for a Mia/Sio thread! A cause for rejoicing. Way back Siobhan had helped Mia capture a vornskr for experiments to recreate the voxyn. Maybe it was high time for her to buy one now if the experiments had come to fruition.

She dug more into her meal and after having eaten a notable portion of her steak and macaroni cheese, washed it down with some wine before wiping her mouth with a napkin. "Self-guided bullets would be beautiful. Particularly for a sniper rifle. Self-guided APE rounds for an MK1 bolter would be deadly. Same goes for solid durasteel slugs fired by a shatterbolter, if possible. Those rounds can penetrate heavy vehicle armour." She took another sip from her glass and frowned as she pondered Elanil's words about the shielding issues for the MD.

"If the weapon can vaporise an entire ship, I daresay the risk is worth it. Fortune favours the bold. I'd like work to be done on the shielding problem and I'll arrange the asteroid test. I'll make the necessary arrangements when I get back to my office."

Oh, the troubles of being Elanil. It was such a hard life. So very hard. If only she could find the magic trick to make Siobhan go away, but it never was that simple. It didn't matter what she did, at the end of the day the woman still was her boss. So one way or another, she was going to have to interact with her, like it or not. Ah, life's a queen sometimes. And so was she.

The redhead nodded, "I wasn't aware of that little adventure. If you can make them available, I can see fit that the experimentation starts on them at once." Anything to irritate Elayne. "I'm sure I could talk Elayne, into 'volunteering'," Yes, the elf actually used air quotes with the volunteer part. Nah, she didn't need a volunteer. All she needed was to catch her sister napping. "To test it for us." Oh yes, she totally wasn't above abusing her dear twin in the name of scientific progress! For a moment she focused back on her food, munching a fair bit of her small salad rather quickly.

"I'd really like to see a product available to make sure that this galaxy's breed of dark force users don't ever present themselves a threat once they've been captured and arrested." Though if you asked her.... "Truly, the galaxy would be better off if we just burned the Sith rather than throw them into the comforts of prison. That's far too cushy a gig, but that's my opinion." After that she returned to her soup briefly, before pushing it away, finished.

"Yes, Self-guided bullets would be quite ideal for a number of applications." She imagined what her sister's reaction to such tech would be, amused for a moment before she returned her attention back to reality. "Agreed, a sniper rifle would be a perfect use. I imagine that we'll need a specialized scope to work with the guidance system of the bullets. I'm sure we could augment something for the MK1 bolters. We really just need to develop the design first, and from there I've no doubt we can adapt it for a number of different weapons and, or bullet designs, like the APE rounds."

The MD was her baby. Elanil certainly had faith in it, but she also was the one who'd built it from the ground up. She trusted the science behind it. The question would always come down to if the Eldorai would trust it behind her. It would come down to the soldiers who ended up operating it in the field. Sure she'd be there for the first leg of the Little Doctor's journey but at some point she would have to hand it over to lesser minds.

"I suppose you are right. It's a bold weapon, for a bold time in the galaxy. And every weapon has their downsides. This is no different. Given it's lethal properties, it's surprising that there are not more downsides with it." She sighed softly, "Of course, Siobhan. I'll have it done at once. It won't be hard to setup shield generators to keep it covered during the charging phase. That will be simple enough." It really was the other parts of the project that had her worried. Far more things that could take down the weapon aside from an attacker. Those were the major kinks to be worked upon. "And with luck the new alloy test for the high-energy compression coil, will be successful and we'll be able to move forward from that issue. I'll have my people get on it as soon as I get back to the lab."

In response to Elanil musing about how she would inflict the collar upon her sister for the cause of science, Siobhan...suddenly burst into laughter. Perhaps she had a rather weird sense of humour, but the whole affair seemed terribly amusing to her. A few of the patrons shot her looks, but she obviously did not care. Not like their opinion was even remotely relevant!

"That would be such fun to see," she said after she had finally regained a measure of coherence, flashing Elanil a smile. Oh, yes, she really liked the redhead. Poor Elanil, who was such a sweet and loving sister, would not be able to escape her attention! She would get lots of it, whether she wanted or not.

"Ideally we would just burn the Sith until they're charred pieces of flesh. Or toss them out of an airlock into cold vacuum. Alas they keep coming back. A bit like cockroaches. Here and there we do need a couple to question though and having them nicely restrained makes that easier." She paused as she focused on her food, munching a fair bit of her macaroni cheese. "Keep me posted on your progress. I'd gladly devote resources to a project for creating self-guided bullets...and for the appropriate modifications needed for a rifle to work with their guidance systems. Same goes for further supporting the MD project. It's been a pleasure meeting you...Elanil."

She reached into her jacket pocket to retrieve a small card, which happened to contain her private contact details. "My private number. I'm always available on that one. If there's anything you need or feel like discussing related to your possible projects. Or just plain want to go shopping. I'm game for that as well."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom