Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Thopian Gambit (Campaign)

Leos Palle

L
So, I've been toying with the idea of a campaign for us. One that I think we could open to other members on Chaos, as well, provided they didn't get too... rambunctiously destructive. Basically as long as their hip to the story and not in it just to muck about with people IC.

Anyway, here's the basic premise:

In Kathol Republic space is a world known as Thopnir (not an actual planet, and part of this campaign will be the creation of the world). The world is growing in population, but maintains the delicate balance of city and nature. It's government has set aside certain parts of the world as large parks that are to be preserved at all costs. In essence, the planet is much like Earth, with lots of great cities, but still a substantial amount of wild, untamed land throughout. It's the kind of world in the Star Wars galaxy that anyone could find a place that suited their fancy. As such, it's a relatively peaceful and prosperous planet.

The natives are a race of humanoids called Thopians, which have a characteristic resemblance to baseline humans and Devaronians. They have, throughout the course of history, gladly accepted members of other races. The second most numerous species on the planet is humans, followed by Aqualish in a close third, however these races aren't nearly as numerous as the Thopes are. Still, all are welcome there, and everyone generally gets along. There are, of course, dissident groups as there always are, but none have been truly horrid or tough to deal with.

But that's all about to change.

A group calling itself The Harvest, has been working in secret on a plan to rid their world of outside influence. They see the rampant influx of foreigners as a threat to the natural beauty of the world; a threat great enough that the government had to establish protected zones to ensure their world didn't turn into an ecumenopolis like others had. In their minds, the only solution is to break down the populace in a manner which will "thin the herd" and discourage more people from coming.

The Harvest is made up purely of Thopians. Over the ages they have been working in secret on a biological weapon that's nigh untraceable, spreads rapidly, and has a high mortality rate. They succeeded. The pathogen has no name, and the symptoms are virtually identical to that of the Krytos virus, except that it cannot be healed by mass quantities of bacta and is resistant even to Rylca. The only thing they failed to do was make its full cycle short, but this was deemed a minor issue given its resistance to all anticipated treatments.

This new Thopian virus is about to be unleashed upon Thopnir by The Harvest in anticipation of a mass culling event which will leave the world at a stable populace due to natural immunity and their eventual creation of an administrative cure for their own species. But how can such a virus be stopped on just one world, or, in fact, stopped at all?

That's where the Underground comes in. The Kathol Republic will, once the outbreak is reported, quickly move to quarantine the world with the assistance of the Underground. In fact, Underdground operatives will be the ones to discover the virus and report it, and will be assisting on the ground voluntarily in the effort to end the crisis.

While that's the basic gist of the campaign, it will take place over the course of several threads.

Thread 1: Introduction, Discovery, and Quarantine
The Underground members on the planet will become suspicious of a random viral outbreak in several large cities on the world. In the course of their investigation, they'll come to realize this isn't some simple viral outbreak that can be beaten with routine medicines, and is, in fact, spreading rapidly through the populace of all species on the planet. Appropriate measures should be taken to preserve their lives, but even some of them will die (NPC's, of course). Their discovery will lead to an instituted quarantine by the Kathol Republic and Underground forces, which will inevitably force our space people to deal with the dilemma of ships trying to break the quarantine zone, and will probably see just who all are brave enough to go to the planet to try and stop this.

Thread 2: Fallout
In the wake of the spread of the virus, and quarantine measures instituted on the planet itself, such as martial law and a curfew that can only be broken by authorized operatives of the local government, lawlessness becomes an issue. Riots break out. Even though food is dropped in, it rarely seems enough due to people hoarding it. Groups of miscreants begin to form in numbers, calling themselves Sweeps and the Thopnir Guard. The Sweeps aren't that well equipped, but the Thopnir Guard is made up of now deserted members of Thopnir's security force and Kathol Republic outpost. The Sweeps start killing anyone that so much as coughs while the TG orchestrates violent attacks on the government in an effort to overthrow it. The TG is backed by The Harvest in secret.

Thread 3: Retaliation
The good guys strike back at the Sweeps and kill their leader, decimating the group and scattering the remainder of their forces back into the throngs of mere survivors. The TG leadership has insulated itself in the Kathol Republic outpost. An assault on it will lead to information on The Harvest.

Thread 4: Final Rights
With the newly gleaned information on who's actually behind the virus and the chaos that has ensued, the good guys assault The Harvest main base, which is incidentally located directly beneath the planetary capital building. Inside, they discover that a cure has nearly been perfected. Synthesis of the cure begins almost immediately based on the obtained data and the fact that the virus was based on the Krytos virus. The cure is administered to all remaining living individuals on the planet, but the population has been cut to about an eighth of what it once was and the planet is now a shell of its former self.

The above is generalization for the overall plot of each thread. As you can see, there's a ton of room for individual stories to take place. Flexibility is easily given to participating parties, especially if actual bad guys decide they want to get involved in the story. Now this is mostly my uninterupted thoughts based on the general idea (which is based on the Tom Clancy game The Division). I absolutely welcome input and suggestions, and when the time comes, I want to make the creation of the planet and the species a group collaboration among all of us.

So please post your thoughts and concerns here so we can develop this into being an awesome TKO backed story for the board.

Leos Palle

L
Yes, I plan to do this still. I just need to finish up the submissions and such. And finish a couple of threads so I don't feel so overwhelmed, lol. Once the event ends I should be more focused on getting those submissions done and then we can start this up. Bryce I'll PM you closer to then.
[member="Bryce Bantam"] [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] [member="Aeshi Tillian"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom