Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Spy Who Came in From the...Cantina... (Republic)

Ali narrowed her eyes at Kearney, gauging him over the rim of her glass as she sipped. She set it down lightly, slowly, letting the silence drag on in the aftermath of the man's question, filling the room like a cloud of smoke. "Most people've got someone, right?" Ali replied cryptically, leaving it at that. She didn't know Kearney personally, she only knew what operations he'd engaged in that had ended up on some sort of record, be it official or no. Whatever he was getting at she felt was closer to the heart; the man's constant theme of loved ones told Ali he'd recently suffered a loss of his own. In case she were right, Ali wanted to avoid sharing too much with the man. Whatever state he was in now wouldn't be a typical one for him, and might not even be optimal for operation. If he's suffering some sort of crisis that gets someone killed...Ali let the thought die then and there. Whatever Kearney might be going through he was dealing with it well enough to show up at least, so she gave him credit for that. She just hoped she didn't end up regretting it.

[member="Fixx Kearney"] | [member="Mark Crassis"]

Crassis sat back and watched the exchange between the two silently. He waived the serving droid over and got a refresh on his drink as his mind wandered off. As he looked at Fixx and Ali and listened to them talk about people getting hurt and....what was it she said, 'most people've got someone.' Crassis, for a brief moment, felt regret. Crassis had been singularly focused throughout his life. First there was the military academy....then his military assignment. Progression through the ranks had been the focus. Crassis didn't socialize, he didn't do anything that didn't serve a purpose.

Then his injuries forced him from that path and onto this one. Working for intelligence had meant he couldn't afford to have ties. He had made a choice. He could be a family man, a man with friends and with social ties or he could be an intelligence operative. In order to excel, he didn't believe one could do both. Sure some people tried....but they left themselves open to manipulation. Crassis had used those closest to his marks over and over again to undo them. Love, family, friends....these were all weakpoints that could be exploited.

But Crassis wasn't without his regrets.

"Take this as you will." Crassis said raising the glass to his lips and taking a drink. "But loved ones......friends....ties to people can be exploited. My suggestion, sever all ties that don't benefit the objective." Crassis said, his voice a bit colder than he had intended it to be. "People who love you will get hurt and be used to hurt you." Crassis said, downing a good portion of his drink and staring longingly into its depths.

"There was a man once...." Crassis said, the alcohol making him reveal a bit more about himself than he usually did. In vino veritas. "I don't recall his name, it was one of my first assignments in intelligence." Crassis said pulling his glasses off, his eyes getting a misty, far away look. "I couldn't get to him, he was a dedicated man....an honest man. We tried to use women, money, dirt....but nothing would get him to turn to our side." Crassis said putting his glasses on and looking at Fixx and Ali, the misty look in his eyes suddenly going cold and hard.

"Then I found out he had a daughter." Crassis said, his voice getting low as he spoke. "I sent him a single piece of paper and he told us everything we needed to know. Do you know what was on the piece of paper?" Crassis asked, finishing the rest of his drink.

"It was a list of everywhere his daughter had gone that day." Crassis said sitting the empty glass down and he shrugged with a solemn smile on his face. "That single threat was enough."

"So, a little advice from an old, admittedly bitter man." Crassis said chuckling. "Don't tie yourself down. Always be in a position where you can sever all ties and vanish." Crassis said, unsure if they'd welcome the advice, but offering it none-the-less.

[member="Ali Hadrix"] - [member="Fixx Kearney"]​

Ali frowned. She wanted to care about what the man had said, she truly did. But Ali had no intention of ever using someone's family in the manner Crassis described. She had loose morals, that was for true, but she also recognized the self-deprecation of resorting to evil to fight evil, hindering one's own cause. Ali would never do what it took to win, she'd do what she could. But killing one innocent to save another made the whole endeavor pointless, and Ali wasn't about to submit to such notions. Thank goodness for the minimal oversight, Ali thought grimly to herself, I'd rather fail than operate like that.
Her respect for Crassis wavered somewhat, but she understood he was an old man in a dangerous game. The guy was a legend for a reason, and now Ali knew some of what had forged that legend. She didn't begrudge the man; the last several decades of Galactic unrest had been hard on nearly everyone. Ali considered Crassis in this new light; she still wanted to work with him, just on different terms than what he was suggesting. She wouldn't speak to him about this, of course, she'd merely do things how she saw fit best. Crassis did things the best way he could and I'll do the same, just...differently, Ali vowed to herself.
Suddenly, she couldn't help but think of Têhra, trapped on Hapes and wallowing in her own misery and the loathing her society heaped on her shoulders by the ton. Ali had done a rather good job covering her own shebs when it came to the teenage girl; she was more than confident no one knew about her pelin'a, and Ali intended on keeping it that way. What's the point in life if there's none of it left to enjoy? Ali pondered, reaching the obvious conclusion. It would be like owning toys and never playing with them. Having food and never eating. Ali knew she might one day lose Têhra but she would have rather that than have never known her.
"I would say experienced, Crassis." Ali said, smiling gently. "And your experiences are invaluable to people like myself and Kearney here, who are, next to you, just starting off. I thank you for that." She offered Crassis the most amicable response she could, letting him know she appreciated his advice, but respectfully disagreed.

[member=Mark Crassis] | [member=Fixx Kearney]

Crassis glanced at his chrono and smiled halfheartedly. Senatorial duties called. He had three meetings lined up for the evening....none of which dealt with anything he felt like listening to. Besides that, Crassis had revealed a bit too much of himself and needed to escape before the liquid courage made him spill any more information.

Perhaps Crassis had been out of the game too long.

"Good, then we are settled." Crassis said waving a hand and a man sitting at a table a few meters from them, who had been slouched forward drunkenly, rose to his feet steadily and walked over, clearly not drunk. The human male handed Crassis an envelope from within his dirty, stained coat and then settled in behind him with his hands clamped behind his back.

"These are for you both." Crassis said pouring the contents out on the table before them. From the contents of the envelope poured two black, zip-locked bags. Within each of them were a number of fake identifications as a backup for the agents, each bag also contained a PP-11 Slug Pistol, and an encrypted datapad that could be transmitted the landing codes for the Central Hub if they came within proximity to the new headquarters of Republic Intelligence.

"The weapons are clean, the identifications are solid and have a full back history," Crassis said, omitting that these identities were taken from soldiers who had died and had no significant others or next of kin to identify. They'd served valiantly in life and now they served further in death. "Finally, the datapads will receive transmission when you enter space outside of the Central Hub, whose coordinates are programmed in. You will find me there often, and you can use the facilities there whenever you need to. Construction is just about wrapped up."

"I've got some engineers working on a few more gadgets for you guys, but nothing that can be unwrapped yet." Crassis said smiling and adjusting his glasses.
[member="Ali Hadrix"] - [member="Fixx Kearney"]​

With a satisfied nod, Fixx took the envelope and opened it slightly on his lap and glanced down taking in the recognisable weapon and a handful of documents and cards. He sealed it quickly and wrapped his fingers around the edge.

"Just point me at the problem and pull the trigger - that's all you need to do.”

The future of Republic intelligence was starting to look a little more dangerous and effective; just as it should have been before.

[member="Mark Crassis"] | [member="Ali Hadrix"]

Ali likewise took the credentials and equipment offered to her, stuffing them swiftly into her handbag. She'd look over them all once she'd left. Ali thanked Crassis with a nod, then drained her glass of the melted ice water that had collected over the last several minutes and smiled her goodbye. "Well, I suppose that's that then?" She looked to Kearney, "Stay in touch, don't be shy." Ali stood and collected her things. "I've got several things up in the air right now that I'll update you on later, Crassis, so expect to hear from me in person. I'd like to see this grand facility of yours." Ali glanced up at the bug camera installed in the ceiling over the old man's shoulder. She winked at it and the small device promptly destroyed itself with a quiet pzzt and a whisper of smoke. The brunette looked back to the two men and smiled as she slung her bag over her shoulder, then turned and walked away.

/[member=Mark Crassis]\
/ [member=Fixx Kearney] \

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom