Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species The Sorians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Sorian

Designation: Sentient

Homeworld: Sori

Language: Old Sorian (Latin), Basic

Average height of adults: 1.8

Skin color: Blue

Hair color: Brown, Black, Blonde

Breathes: Oxygen

Strengths:
  • Sorians are shape-changers. Their shape-changing is similar to that of a Clawdite.
  • Because of Chiss-type DNA used in their construction, Sorians have enhanced mental faculties that put the average Sorian on the level of a high-school valedictorian with no prior schooling.
  • Because of their ability to rapidly produce and replace cells, Sorians are resistant to most diseases and can regrow lost limbs. Only limbs can be replaced in this way. This process takes a lot of time and energy, and severely weakens the Sorian during the process
Weaknesses:
  • Prone to seclusive tendencies
  • Very gruff towards outsiders, are not good diplomats
  • Sorians are extremely susceptible to sonic waves. Even when not weaponized, sonic pulses, such as those used by some creatures for echolocation, are extremely irritating to Sorians. A pulse of low strength will cause minor discomfort, a more concentrated pulse will debilitate, and even a glancing blow with a fully weaponized sonic weapon, such as a Geonosian sonic blaster, can be enough to kill.
Distinctions: Sorians are defined mostly by their outward appearance. Their skin is always some shade of blue, but unlike Chiss they also have human-like eyes. Eye shades can range from the generally accepted blue and green to the more far-fetched purple, said to be a mark of Force power, and the even rarer white. Sorians as a rule are tall and lithe, and it is very rare to find one that is overweight, mainly because most Sorians serve in the military, and those that don't rarely touch non-healthy foods.

Average Lifespan: 100 standard years

Races: None

Estimated Population: 10 billion, found almost exclusively on Sori

Diet: Can eat just about anything, some rare plants found on Sori are poisonous to them

Communication: Verbal

Culture: Sorian culture is very centered around service to the family. Sorians as a species are very close knit, with family ties spanning the entire planet. However, the Sorians are also stalwart isolationists, and staunchly believe in self-sufficiency. Anyone seeking the help of a Sorian must prove that their cause serves the Sorians in a way to warrant them leaving the close family ties of their planet. Another aspect of the Sorian culture is their military. Ever since their first war against the Rakata, the Sorians have held close to the idea that in times of peace, you must prepare for war. Defending the planet, and by extension the "family" of the Sorian species, is seen as the highest honor and every Sorian youth serves at least five years in the military.
Technology level: Higher than galactic standard
General behavior: Sorians are generally hard-working, with the men having a set job and the women filling the role of housekeeper. They often have a set schedule they stick to, and it is very rare for them to deviate from it. As a species, Sorians focus most of their energies on service to their immediate family, but also make time for helping the species as a whole through community service. Outside of Sori, Sorians still remain close to family, but oftentimes also switch their energies to the job. They are very work-oriented, and will never leave a job unfinished.
History: The Sorian species was a result of experiments on Rakatan slaves. They were produced when a rogue group of Rakatan scientists began an ill-fated attempt to produce the perfect race. Through gene-splicing and DNA combination, the Rakatans used the DNA of numerous existing species to produce a creature that could shape-shift, was highly intelligent, and nearly invincible to disease. This species was the Sorian race. However, the Sorians' blue skin was unappealing to the scientists, who wished to use the DNA of their new race to better themselves, and before the genetic code could be changed the project was discovered and destroyed. In the end, only two subjects, a male and a female, were produced. These subjects were loaded into stasis pods and fired into space. Many years later, they crashed on what would become the planet Sori. The two subjects bred, and by the time the Rakatans discovered them they had produced a thriving civilization. The Rakatans promptly enslaved them, but after two attempts the Sorians had won their freedom. To protect themselves, the Sorians wiped all traces of their existence from any records. They were not seen again until a Jedi envoy found their planet. Following a negotiation in which the Jedi were entrusted with the location of Sori, the only group to be so honored, the Sorians disappeared again. They were found again several centuries later by the Republic during the Clone Wars, and after fighting in that war at the urging of the Jedi, they disappeared once more after Order 66. When they were discovered a final time twenty years later by the Alliance, they ceased to disappear, but continued their isolationist culture now open to the galactic eye.

Notable Player-Characters: [member="Jenson Koraz"]

Intent: To allow me to use my own species for my player characters, since many of them are Sorian

SonoftheStars said:
Can shapeshift
Define their ability to shapeshift. To what extent can they change shapes, and how are they able to change shapes?

SonoftheStars said:
Highly intelligent
Compare them to humans. Are they twice as smart as the average human, or perhaps twice as smart as a human genius?

SonoftheStars said:
Immune system is resistant to most diseases and can regrow extremities
What limits are there to this, and how can this be explained biologically? Do they have special organs?

SonoftheStars said:
Prone to seclusive tendencies Very gruff towards outsiders, are not good diplomats Susceptible to diseases that target them
These are not significant weaknesses, and the last one is very subjective to say the least. You do not have to remove any weaknesses, but I do want you to add at least one significant weakness.

SonoftheStars said:
Distinctions: Blue skin with human eyes
Please expand on this. Describe in at least 3-5 sentences on their distinctions.

SonoftheStars said:
Culture: Very close knit and secluded, but also militaristic
I'd like you to expand on this, I want at least 5 sentences describing their culture.

SonoftheStars said:
Technology level: High (Rakata or Gree)
Note Gree and Rakata tech are banned. The only exclusion are Nav Computers. So you'd be best just listing them as 'higher than the galactic standard.' If you want them to be high tech.

SonoftheStars said:
General behavior: Hard working and seclusive, prone to staying among family but all work for the greater good
Expand on this with another 3-5 sentences, please.

SonoftheStars said:
History: Rakata-engineered, no page yet
A history is required. 5 sentences at the least.

I understand that you're new to the board, so I don't want you to seem absolutely overwhelmed. I suggest looking at other Sentient species that have been approved for reference. The more powerful you want your species to be, the more fleshed out the submission is ought to be. Furthermore very powerful species are likely to require development threads.

SonoftheStars said:
They shape-change by copying another species' genetic code and rapidly producing new bone, muscle, and skin cells to match it.These new cells must be constantly consciously replaced, and any lapse of concentration can cause them to revert back to their original shape.
This, quite frankly, is not going to be acceptable. In canon sources the two most fleshed out shapeshifters are Clawdites and Shi'ido. Clawdites can only mimic other humanoids that were similar to their own species; such as humans. Shi'ido on the other hand, were able to reshape their muscles and flesh to take on many forms. However; neither are able to actually produce new flesh or bone. That is something I cannot allow. I suggest using canon species as reference for how you want to handle their shapeshifting ability.

SonoftheStars said:
Susceptible to diseases that target them
&
SonoftheStars said:
Because of their ability to rapidly produce and replace cells, Sorians are resistant to most diseases and can regrow lost limbs.Only limbs can be replaced in this way.
This weakness honestly doesn't make much sense to me. How would a disease specifically target them? I can see they have rapid cellular generation. By this--despite saying they can only regrow limbs--they could theoretically regenerate any destroyed tissue. How is this handled, what are the physical limits? What controls the regeneration. Theoretically this could make this essentially invincible depending on how it's handled.

I rather like their sonic weakness, as not many submissions have substantial weaknesses like those.

Another request of mine is that I'm going to need you to put spacing between your sentences. All of your paragraphs lack spaces between sentences, making it difficult to read.

Boethiah said:
This, quite frankly, is not going to be acceptable. In canon sources the two most fleshed out shapeshifters are Clawdites and Shi'ido. Clawdites can only mimic other humanoids that were similar to their own species; such as humans. Shi'ido on the other hand, were able to reshape their muscles and flesh to take on many forms. However; neither are able to actually produce new flesh or bone. That is something I cannot allow. I suggest using canon species as reference for how you want to handle their shapeshifting ability.

&

This weakness honestly doesn't make much sense to me. How would a disease specifically target them? I can see they have rapid cellular generation. By this--despite saying they can only regrow limbs--they could theoretically regenerate any destroyed tissue. How is this handled, what are the physical limits? What controls the regeneration. Theoretically this could make this essentially invincible depending on how it's handled.

I rather like their sonic weakness, as not many submissions have substantial weaknesses like those.

Another request of mine is that I'm going to need you to put spacing between your sentences. All of your paragraphs lack spaces between sentences, making it difficult to read.
[member="Boethiah"]
In order:

1. I understand. I was simply trying to think of a biological way for this to work, and that was what I thought of. I will edit accordingly. Although, I would like to say that it makes sense from a biological standpoint. It is just like when a human grows from child to adult, lengthening their bones and increasing skin area, just at a much faster, controllable speed.

2. I will remove this weakness, as it is probably causing more trouble than it is worth.

3. The regeneration would probably work the same way as a Trandoshan's regeneration, or like a lizard's or octopus's. The physical limitation and the reason it does not make them invincible is that it takes a lot of energy, time, and focus to regrow the limb, thus it severely weakens them.

4. I do not understand why it does that. I type it up with space, it changes when I post.

[member="Boethiah"]
The best I can do is go into the edit panel after posting and fix it, but it seems to be fine when I first post most of the time. I will do my best to fix it.

Like I said, I can fix it, but only on a post-by-post basis and only after I have posted. I don't know what is causing it. Best I can do is go back and go into and out of the edit window after I have posted.[member="Boethiah"]

[member="SonoftheStars"]

It's better, but I need you to format it a bit easier so it can be read easily.

The strengths and weaknesses should either be bulletined or at least spaced out so that they're easy to see one-by-one.

Do that, and this should be good to go.

[member="SonoftheStars"]

Sorry for the delay. Next time you have to wait more than 2 days, give me a PM!

Due to their weakness, the other strengths are acceptable, and both are pretty established in canon too. Just remember than Rakata tech is banned. So please don't take their history as an excuse to use Rakata technology.

With that said, enjoy your first species submission.

Approved, pending secondary.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom