Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Safest Place in the Galaxy

A starport on Bespin, the Outer Rim

“There you are, ma’am. One ticket to Chaldea.”

Ishani glanced down at her datapad, confirming the transaction, then nodded to the droid working the ticket counter. “Thank you.” For a moment she paused, wondering if she should even bother to ask her next question. “What’s the safest place in the galaxy?

The droid cocked its head. “Naboo was voted the best planet to live in the Winter 858 issue of—”

Even after the CIS fell and the planet was overrun by extradimensional demons?” Ishani interrupted. With a sigh, she tucked her datapad away. “Forget it. Thanks again.”

“A pleasure to serve, ma’am.”

She headed away from the counter. The starport wasn’t especially busy—no starport in the Outer Rim really was that crowded—but Ishani felt like she stood out regardless, and not just due to her lack of luggage. She looked like she didn’t belong here, among the far-flung farmers visiting family, criminals looking to lay low, and rangers patrolling the frontier. She was too small, too delicate, too pristine. Hopefully she wouldn’t attract the wrong kind of attention, not when she was so close to finally going home…

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Tiland let out a contented sigh, staring out the window at the dancing clouds of Bespin, with a fresh-steaming pot of tea sitting on the chair beside him. Even in the spaceport, Bespin felt more serene than many places he tended to visit, especially compared to Terminus and its endless bustle to rival Coruscant.

It was, of course, a bit unsettling to be back on Bespin, after its successive conquests by the First Order. There were still signs of the occupation and more than a handful of people he gauged as being First Imperials of some sort, either former or current.

He heard someone ask a question and tilted his head, craning around to look over his shoulder. The safest place in the galaxy? Now that was a question he had never considered, but it was a valid question. And frankly, he wasn't sure what the answer was.

"Excuse me," he said, raising one hand, "I suppose much depends on what you mean by the safest place. Would you care for some tea? I have traveled extensively, and may have some suggestions."

"Excuse me."

Ishani blinked and stopped in her tracks. An old man was waving his hand, trying to get her attention. For a moment she thought he was trying to sell her something, or maybe he was just some crazy geezer hanging out in the starport, but it seemed he'd overheard her question and wanted to see if he could answer it.

Approaching the old man cautiously, she first addressed the matter of tea. "I'm not really a tea drinker, so thanks but no thanks." She also knew better than to accept food or drink from strangers, even if this gentleman didn't look like he had a malicious bone in his body. "And by safe, I mean, uh... safe enough to raise a family, I guess." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, glancing briefly down at the floor. "With children. Is there a place for that?"

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Tiland nodded and leaned back in the chair, cradling his cup of tea before taking a slow sip. "Hmm. Safe to raise a family... with children." He considered, his eyes half-closed as he retraced his journeys across the galaxy. "What sort of world are you looking for? An urban world? A wild world? Somewhere in between?"

His fingers tapped a thoughtful rhythm along the rim of the cup. "And it depends on who you wish to be safe from. A remote world with few resources or strategic locations is safer from the governments, but not safer from the criminal elements. But a world with strong enough government presence to protect against pirates is more of a target for the various governments."

A frown etched itself across his face. "Perhaps safety is relative then, rather than something that can be found."

Normally I’d prefer an in-between world, but wouldn’t a wild world be less of a target?” But the untouched places of the galaxy would be difficult to live upon alone, devoid of civilization as they were. To say nothing of the dangers the wildlife might pose. So she shrugged. “Whichever is least likely to be attacked.

The old man further complicated things by mentioning pirates, and pointed out that safety was relative. Ishani pursed her lips. “Maybe an unknown planet?” she suggested. “One not charted on any maps. It can’t be a target if no one knows it exists…

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Tiland raised an eyebrow in surprise. "An uncharted world? That is quite a challenge." He pursed his lips in thought and let his eyes wander across the spaceport, taking in the crowd. A look of delight flashed across his face. "I had a friend, some decades ago. He came from a world called Kelchase. Not entirely uncharted, with some scattered inhabitants. But very remote."

He considered for a moment. "I think I might even know someone who can make the run. It's a bit of an arid forest world, very dry and rocky."

Kelchase?” she echoed. “What part of the galaxy is it in?

Dry and rocky. Ah, well. It wouldn’t be so bad if they were safe, right? Hopefully the inhabitants were friendly towards outsiders. Probably not, if they were from an uncharted world.

How would I contact this friend of yours?

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

That was honestly an excellent question. He frowned in concentration as he tried to remember where Kiyron had described it. "I believe it was somewhere out in Wild Space, although I must admit he may have died or disappeared in the past ten years or so. Nobody has heard or seen him around in a long time."

He coughed slightly. "So... that could be problematic. I believe he left some records of its location though, as well as where his family once lived, if that can be useful."

Wild Space? Yeah, figures. All these places were remote, far away from any factions or major hubs.

The old man admitted that his friend may have died or disappeared, but there might be some records of the planet’s location left behind. “Okay,” she said, nodding along. Having a goal in mind, a hook to follow, something to focus on—it allowed her to forget her other worries for the time being. “Where could I find these records, then?

She was hoping either the old man could take her to them, or at least point her in the right direction. Give her a name, a place, something.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

"Ahh... that is an excellent question," Tiland admitted, brows furrowed as he tried to recollect where Kiyron and clan Tabalhar had been active, or the Huntsmen. It took a few moments to sift through his memories, but then it clicked.

"Vestar!" He snapped his fingers in excitement. "He worked on Vestar for quite a while and had a small home there. I'm sure he had some sort of insurance about Kelchase in case it was necessary."

Kelchase, Wild Space, friend who lived on Vestar… “You still haven’t told me your friend’s name,” Ishani remarked, chuckling a little. This whole conversation was sort of funny, if only because of the old man’s piecemeal remembering of information. Oh well, he was old… brain probably wasn’t working as well as it once had.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Tiland nodded slowly. “He never liked to talk a little it. It was some decades ago now, back when the Galactic Republic still stood. The Sith had invaded Balmorra to cripple Republic’s arms production lines… and there was no one else there.”

An awkward pause for a moment. “He lost a hand, an arm, and much of his torso after giving them the best he could to buy time, but nobody came. He dragged himself out from the collapsed factory and went to the Rim to start a new life.”

"Oh." Her brow furrowed. "Damn." She wasn't sure what she had been expecting from a story about a lone man who fought two Sith Lords at once. A tale of grand heroism, perhaps? Hearing the reality of it just made her feel childish and naïve.

"A hand, an arm, and most of his torso?" She suppressed a shudder. "I guess it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't around anymore, then. But, uh, thank you for the information, mister...?"

Tiland Kortun Tiland Kortun

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Tiland nodded slowly, and then shrugged. “He had quite an exciting life for a while after that. Bounty hunter. Adopted by Mandalorians and then formed his own clan. Helped build a special forces and intelligence agency from scratch. Fought against the First Order.”

He gave a wistful sigh. “Half of me thinks he and enough and settled somewhere very remote and quiet. Maybe even returned to Kelchase, frankly. Just retired on his own where nobody could hunt him down.”

He sat up straighter, and then gave as much of a bow as he could manage while sitting down. “Tiland Kortun, at your service. My apologies for rambling and forgetting to introduce myself.”

The old man—Tiland—swept into quite the bow. Ishani did her best to imitate him, though she was unused to such gestures of respect and likely didn't sink low enough.

"Yes, I will have transportation once I return home," she replied. "My own ship, that is. But, uh—are you offering to help me approach Mr. Kiyron on Vestar? Or would it be enough to simply say you sent me?"

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

"That..." Tiland said with a pause, considering. "Is an excellent question. I don't think he would shoot you on sight, but it has been a long time since he was last heard from in the galaxy. I do not know what state he will be in." He pursed his lips in thought. "Perhaps I should approach him first. He is not likely to shoot me, I think."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom