Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech The Red Codex

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=14.6667px]
QMNbA3Z.png
[/SIZE]

Image Source: Google - Cosmic Cube Marvel Cinematic Universe
Intent: To sub a unique Command and Control index
Development Thread:
Wires and Things
Sand and Sun
Manufacturer: The Star Cabal
Model: Red Codex
Affiliation: Munin & Huginn
Modularity: No
Production: Unique
Material: Titanium, Dallorian alloy
Strengths:

• Command & Control: The Red Codex is in essence a massive Command and Control server for the RAN network. The device acts as index, creating a list of all RAN malware that is currently spread across the galaxy. The only way to access and operate the RAN network is through the Codex. Without it, the malware is completely useless.
Weaknesses:

• Fragile: The Red Codex is essentially a very tiny computer, and as such it is vulnerable to being smashed. Dropping it, hitting it, or even bumping it too hard against anything could cause serious damage. Though it can survive some wear and tear, you really don't want to be doing anything too strenuous with this in your hand.
Description:
Technological innovation has not advanced at a grand rate. While perhaps at some point in time, technology moved forward in leaps and bounds, it had been stagnating for the last several millennia. Apart from minor advances in weapons, shield, and even security industries, not much has changed in these different areas of life. Most things still run off the same systems, the same protocols, and the same old basic software designs they always have. Though this allows for a spread of simplicity, it also creates an inherent danger that some would seek to abuse.

This was the basis of the Red Codex.

Originally the Codex was produced as a simple copy of the more famed Black Codex, a repository of knowledge for secrets and all sorts of goodies that most would kill to get their hands on. The Red Codex eventually evolved into something completely different, however.

When the Star Cabal was crafting the idea behind it, the device was prominently featured as an experiment rather than a direct copy. In time, this experiment turned into a full-fledged project of its own. To understand its function, one has to realize that most slicing technology, and in fact most computer systems, are still based off the same protocols as they were long ago.

Encryption and other cyber-security measures have been updated to increase protection against malware and other forms of viruses, but the fact is that the same basic principles still apply. This creates a sort of simplicity within the world of cyber-space, and indeed the Holonet is a perfect example of this. Though fringe networks like the Darknet now exist, the Holonet is still the the largest and most expansive communications network in the galaxy, and yet it has sat untouched for millennia. Due to this, and with forethought and knowledge of it, the Star Cabal created a series of strategies to compromise terminals, datapads, communicators, and other devices that connect to the Holonet or make contact with otherwise already infected devices.

How?

Simple, a malware program called Remote Access Neimoidian or RAN for short, fondly named after the elusive and slimy Neimodian species.

This program is not the subtlest in its function, nor its method of infection. Most trained slicers and cyber-security experts would instantly recognize a RAN. They are mostly sent out through simple phishing holomessages or other user-dependent means. A target computer could be infected with the clicking of a bad link, plugging in an already infected datachip, or any number of user-based compromise methods.

What does the RAN do once it infects the computer? Usually nothing. It takes passive control of the terminal or device it infects, gaining root admin access and then quickly letting itself settle in the background. The specific RAN that was forged alongside the Red Codex is a piece of polymorphic malware that frequently mutates its code and signature, avoiding detection by via virus scans. Since the RAN is polymorphic in nature it is incredibly difficult to detect and get rid of, with most users never even knowing they're infected. Once a device is infected however, and once the RAN receives note from the Command and Control server, the malware is capable of taking control of the device’s functions, including activating i's microphone, camera, messaging services, etc.

But what does this have to do with the Red Codex? The Codex acts as a Command and Control Index Server, being the single point of contact for all instances of the Remote Access Neimoidian malware. This means that infected devices, when called out to, respond to the Red Codex and the Red Codex alone.

Because the Red Codex was originally created thousands of years ago, and because of RAN's polymorphic nature, the network that has been created by infected devices now numbers in the billions. Though the malware is by no means unique in the galaxy (nor is it undetectable or untraceable), it’s simply had the time to spread. The Virus in not in every government system nor has is spread to every device in the galaxy, it is fairly prevalent however..*

This is what gives the Red Codex its value.

The RAN virus has had millennia to spread, and it is still spreading through an automated process. A dummy server sends out holomessages to foolish workers who click a link; the link forces a download of the malware, and snap, the device is infected. Once this happens, the owner of the Red Codex is able to pull up the infected device using the index and then access its functions, using it as a listening device or anything else that object is capable of.

If discovered, a RAN can be removed, though it is difficult. The virus has Admin control of the device and therefore actually gaining back complete command can be almost impossible without a hard reset. In the event of a hard reset, however, the RAN is completely removed.

It should also be noted that the Red Codex is not like the Black Codex, in that it is not a repository. The Red Codex does not serve as storage for data, it is an Index created to house only the base contacts of the RAN network. This means that when the Red Codex is activated it requires a massive datacenter in order to actually properly function due to the all of the data that the RAN network is able to send to it. It also means, because of the sheer number of RAN infected devices that it can be extremely difficult to sort through, such things taking hours and perhaps even days.**

All in all however, the Red Codex is a mass surveillance network just begging to be used.

Primary Source: Me, I'm great

* I cannot and will not control whose device is infected with the RAN Network, this would be akin to GM'ing. What will happen in the cases of my wanting to use the Red Codex to find information is simple. I will PM the person I am targeting, explain the nature of the Codex, have a conversation with them and then decide on what is fair for me to know and not know. I believe most people are fair enough to allow this to be amicable, If I ever misuse the Red Codex it can easily be reported.
** This aspect applies to both knowledge gained on PC's and passive story knowledge. Anything that is learned from the Red Codex(Like the Black) requires a dev thread that is minimum Ten posts. If it is a major piece of knowledge(Say designs to a tech sub) that gets bumped up to 20, if it's something completely ground breaking(Intimate knowledge of Major Faction's Activity) 50.

Tanomas Graf

T
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Tanomas Graf

T
Awesome [member="Munin"]!

Passing this on to [member="Spencer Varanin"] for approval! Thanks!

[member="Darth Vitium"]

A RAN is my star wars name for a RAT.

A RAT is a Remote Access Trojan, It is a fairly common, albeit difficult to create, Virus used by Governments, hackers, organized crime, etc.

I should have specified that in the sub, My bad.

[member="Munin"]
I am aware of what a RAT is, I was more asking if this specific one was actually done in canon.

After some checking, though, I don't think that is the case.

I can see the plausibility in such a program being created and implemented, but I'm not sure if I'm okay with approving a trojan that is on, essentially, nearly all non-secure devices, including the holonet. I don't mean that I am not okay with the idea of a trojan being spread this way, I just mean I'm not sure I am comfortable with approving something that is already there - mostly because this means that a large amount of the NPC and PC population are likely to have infected devices without their ability to RP otherwise until contacted by you or some other party after this submission is already approved.

I understand the content of your notes, and I am well aware that this can simply be reported if misused, but that doesn't really make it any better.

I am, however, perfectly fine with you making this something that has mostly spread through just the holonet and unprotected networks connected to it. Simply toning it down to that degree and clarifying that will net you an approval.

[member="Darth Vitium"]

In my opinion the sub already states that it is not spread entirely throughout everything. I state specifically that secure devices and even not all standard devices are infected. I can't control who is infected, just RP that someone is infected after contacting them or say an NPC's is infected(if no one has control over said NPC and or place I am trying to learn about, say hacking an unaffiliated to PC canon company).

Can you pin-point me to the language I used that would make you think otherwise so I can edit it properly? I admit sometimes I get away from myself.

Munin said:
[member="Darth Vitium"]

In my opinion the sub already states that it is not spread entirely throughout everything. I state specifically that secure devices and even not all standard devices are infected. I can't control who is infected, just RP that someone is infected after contacting them or say an NPC's is infected(if no one has control over said NPC and or place I am trying to learn about, say hacking an unaffiliated to PC canon company).

Can you pin-point me to the language I used that would make you think otherwise so I can edit it properly? I admit sometimes I get away from myself.
Because the Red Codex was originally created thousands of years ago, and because of RAN's polymorphic nature, the network that has been created by infected devices now numbers in the billions. Though the malware is by no means unique in the galaxy (nor is it undetectable or untraceable), it’s simply had the time to spread to nearly every known world. Though it likely hasn’t penetrated into the system of government or corporation, there is a good chance that an employee's datapad or a government official’s communicator is infected.*
I know you probably don't intend to make it sound like this has infected a vast majority of the galaxy's electronic devices, but the picture you paint by specifically stating that governments and corporations might not be infected while personal devices of the very people who belong to those entities likely do implies that most devices that are not on very secure networks or go through rigorous checks for malware would likely have this trojan embedded in it.

Munin said:
Though it likely hasn’t penetrated into the system of government or corporation, there is a good chance that an employee's datapad or a government official’s communicator is infected
You can change the wording of the two examples of those likely to be infected to something a little less directly related to the two examples of those who would likely not be infected - like, say, a public terminal, a normal civilian's device. Just try not to keep the examples for your "likely not" infected list too related to those who are on your "likely are" list. It paints the picture that everyone else, aside from governments and corporations, have this malware present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom