Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Location The Rancors Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: The Rancors Den

Classification: Urban Center

Affiliation: Independent, currently under the influence of the NPC drug Baron known as The Rancor

Population: 2,500,000 roughly. No successful census has ever been completed.

Demographics: 60% Human, 9% Devaronian, 7% Wookiee, 7% Trandoshan, 6% Bothan, 4% Ryn, 10% Other

Points of Interest:
  • The Rancors Den - A one time Night Club which was taken over by the NPC the Rancor when the owner fell behind on his protection payments. It is from this Club and it's use as his home base that the rest of the area draws it's name.
  • Various bars
  • Various spice dens
  • Various run down apartment buildings
  • Various Fences

Description:
There is very little new and clean here, but most of the inhabitants can't see straight enough to notice anyway. Whatever your vice is, you can find it here. Whether or not you manage to walk out again is another issue. Many of the people here are desperate, either for their next hit, or to get out of this hellhole by any means possible.

The streets are cracked, the buildings are worn, if it weren't for the fact that it never rains on Syvris, the roofs would likely leak. The general feeling is one of despair and disrepair.

History:
Like most of present day Syvris, this area was built after the Gulag Plague. Originally this area was meant to be housing, both for those who chose to make their living on Syvris and their families. It slowly started to expand and become the sprawling area it is now, constrained only by the sides of the crater. Unfortunately, with the increase of populations, more bars started to pop up, followed by the spice dens.. As more and more of the area became dedicated to this sort of pursuit, a different sort of person was attracted from the original worker and family.

Unfortunately the natural conclusion of this process was for someone like the Rancor to come along and take control with an iron fist, a smoking blaster, and no conscience to speak of. As long as he gets his cut, he doesn't care what goes down.

Links:

Thread in which It features heavily establishing tone and setting

The Shadowport is where the majority of the Dens inhabitants make their living, commuting to work on a daily basis
The Gentlemen's Club is an unobtainable dream to most, as they are considered too low class to gain membership except under extraordinary circumstances. The Rancor himself doesn't care and is entirely uninterested, he has his territory, why would he want to go to someone elses?
The Pinkport and the Rancors Den are two side of the same coin. One clean and beautiful, the other dirty and dilapidated. they are both similar in their rampant corruption and the crimes that go on out of view however. Much of the money the inhabitants of the Den bring in is spent in the Pinkport.

General Mood Images

Alright so everything in this looks good, the only thing I'm wondering about is the population.

2,500,000 roughly. No successful census has ever been completed.
That seems like a lot of people for such a dilapidated place, within a crater. That's about equivalent to the city of Chicago, which is about 234 sq miles. That's got to be a monstrous crater, and then looking at the pictures you provided for general mood I'm questioning this ...city's ability to house that many people in such deplorable conditions. Is this what you envisioned?

[member="Chiasa Kritivaas"]

[member="Quietus"]
Yes, I googled real world cities to get a rough estimate. Like, everything is a dilapidated slum and folks are living like 5 to a room, and it's basically this super desperate place that folks really want to get out of but in practice more people just get funneled into.

I kind of like the idea that it's sort of busting at the seams (because it IS limited by crater size) and feel like that sets up all sorts of possible future RPs

So yes, it's totally sardines in a can in there, and it was on purpose. But if you reckon it's too crazy I can change it.

At that number I would think that area would be ripe with disease and sickness, at that population, given the conditions.

But if you're going for gutter-slums-city, then I can dig it.

Approved pending secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom