Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Pilgrims: Unlearn What You Have Learned

Even without knowing all the trials of her peers, Amani could tell she was lagging behind. Frustration was barely kept at bay as each effort was met with failure. Still, she didn’t give up.

Finally, on the last day, an epiphany struck. The fruits of her labor paid off, if marginally. But that was all she needed. Proof that the connection was not yet lost.

With these lessons she was able to capture and share a memory by the time of their meeting around the bonfire. A small one. But often times, those smaller memories were the most cherished. Something about living in the moment brought out the most genuine side of people. It was a sentiment she came to appreciate even greater as of late. The faintest hint of a smile crept across her lips. Being able to rediscover the beauty in an event that seemed so insignificant warmed her more than the fire could.

The memory came from before her more recent troubles started. No grand events or special revelations. Just a night spent with friends, people she cared about. A night where little else mattered.

It wasn’t much. And that was why she liked it so much.

The memory-

In 830 ABY, Quill Sagget was a thief. Not a great one, not an evil one, just a ln awkward guy who sold hot datapads in back alleys. He'd spent time as forced labor in a thieving gang that really hurt people, and got out the hard way.

This specific memory was old, jumbled, well-worn, out of order. A rich old Ithorian named Jend-Ro was the target - well, his safe was, until the gang's Twi'lek muscle took shockmitts to him. Jend-Ro had died right there on his office floor, bloodied up a little, taken down by a heart attack. Cut to Quill Sagget helping strip the safe. Cut to Quill snapping at the muscle about Jend-Ro the Ithorian, going too far, getting clocked hard in the back of the skull, left for dead.

Apart from the damage of time, the memory came through crystal clear for what it was: he'd learned memory-sharing before, from Gutretee elders on a planet called Isis. This was one of the memories he'd made permanent now. He'd been holding onto it for thirty-four years. He didn't want it to fade any more.

Tiland had spent long hours pacing the cold landscapes, communing with the elders of the blue banthas, discussing the ambiguity of memory, it’s strengths, and it’s drawbacks, as well as salvaging what could be salvaged of a thousand years worth of old memories. Many they had brought back had not been recollected in decades, if not centuries worth of standard years.

Eventually, he practiced on several memories, smaller, but precious only in the experiences of the moments. A perfect cup of tea. A lily pond arranged in the most exquisite concentric patterns. Snapshots of life becoming art.

But he also saved many of the others, including the ones the elders suggested not to, for their pain and their heartbreak. They said it would be a burden, to which Tiland only nodded slowly. “Yes,” he said, “But it is our burdens that develop the foundations of wisdom. And I must ensure the wisdom I have found can be preserved.”

As they all gathered shortly after, he accepted the other’s memories gratefully, and with reverence for what those experiences met. As for his own, he thought long and hard, sorting through the many he and saved.

“Two, I offer,” Tiland said at last, after receiving and sifting through the other old Jedi’s memory. “One for practicality and one as a reminder of what it can mean to others to meet a Jedi. The first is my duel with Darth Carnifex aboard the bridge of his bow destroyed super weapon. Only accept it if you can carry that with you. Shared it with your councils, your sages, and your battle-masters. See what they can learn from it and if there’s any clues to how he was brought back from the dead.”

To those who wanted it, he would offer it. As for the second, he considered. “This is an ancient memory, dating back about forty years prior to the onset of the ancient Clone Wars.”

To those who knew the Outer Rim well, they would recognized the unforgettable streets and cityscapes of Terminus, not altogether unchanged from how they were now, despite the millennia of difference.

It rained, cold and hard, in an alleyway filled with refuse and detritus. A young Tiland, unrecognizable except for the the proboscis that extended from their flaps sat pressed up against the walls, a bloody knife laying on the duracrete next to a stiffening body.

Emotions surged and roiled beneath a growing mask of shock and numbness as the memory seemed to grow more and more dark, as the sensations of horror and guilt warred with a growing insistence to feed and consume. Not that it was possible now, but it had been the quickness and the unexpectedness. Seeking his first prey to feed on, based on a particularly powerful feeling Force sensitive, when the Rodian had come out of nowhere with a vibroblade going at his ribs. Training had taken over before Tiland, though he had not yet taken a name, was aware of it and taken the knife, reversed it, and the assailant was gone in less than three heart beats.

The darkness had nearly taken over before he was aware of a light shimmering in the corner of his vision. Two lights, in fact. A green one accompanied by a hum, and a different one that he felt more than saw.

A Jedi. The quarry his uncle had sent him to track down. Ironic, wasn’t it? The hunter had become the prey. He looked up and shrugged, holding his hands up in surrender. He hoped it would be quick.

The Jedi was a female Miraluka, judging by the cloth tied around her eyes. Yet there was something different. She was neither young nor old, but something about her felt ancient. For those who took the memory, they would recognize the face from the memories shared by the elders as one of their visitors.

In the memory, the lightsaber blade deactivated. And instead, the Jedi sat next to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder as tiny Tiland broke down into tears.

“I didn’t mean to,” he said, fighting back tears and choking on sobs. “They trained me to be an apex hunter and he just stepped out from the shadows and there was the vibroblade coming towards me.”

“I know,” the Jedi said simply. “I saw. The Force brought me here and I heard rumors of an Anzati presence. I let you sense me in hopes of luring you to me and not anyone else.” Tiland felt the Jedi shrug. “I didn’t foresee this.”

“Best take me into custody,” Tiland forced out. “I confess and will not resist.”

There was a long silence.

“Self defense is not illegal here, or in the Republic,” the Jedi finally said. “You committed no crime. And I see clearly you have killed no one, correct?”

Tiland only nodded. Another long silence.

“We each come to our own shatterpoint,” she said after a moment. “A time when our beliefs about ourselves and everything else are confronted with reality. And in that moment we must make a choice about who we truly are and what it is we want to be.”

The young Tiland sat in silence, watching the rain wash his hands clean, drop by drop. He wiped

“What are the options I even have?” Tiland finally asked.

“Infinite choices,” the Jedi said. “The galaxy and the future are always moving, always shifting. We are not defined by our past. Nor are we limited by our pasts. Look beyond the binaries, my young friend. There is never a question of either one choice or only another. The Jedi way is to step back from the situation and look at all possible options, not just the ones that are most obvious.”

His hands were almost clear, now visible in the yellow glare of the lights from the street.

“I sense much potential in you,” the woman continued. “Have you ever considered being a Jedi?”

Tiland raised his head in confusion. “I was told the Jedi only indoctrinated the children they kidnapped.”

There was a low chuckle. “In the recent eras, yes, but I am old, older than any right I have to be. And I haven’t been to the temple in many decades. I don’t need permission to take a student of my own. What’s your name?”

“I don’t have one yet,” Tiland answered. “We’re not given names. We take them to blend in.”

The Miraluka only nodded and rubbed a hand along his shoulder comfortingly. “You’ll find one that suits you. Come, let us go somewhere far from here, somewhere remote, where we can take your training in the assassin arts and teach you full control. Take what you learned for evil and use it for good. All beings deserve this option. It’s the Jedi way to remind others of this choice.”

The memory came to an end with that and Tiland leaned back, face strained with the effort of reliving that experience.

Last edited:
The Mirialan was definitely interested in everything here. The world was cold, sure, but the Blue Bantha, maybe blue because they were frozen, did have their Force ability. It was something she hadn’t really expected. Listening to the Masters discuss though, the Caamasi were able to share memories like this? Was that a Force bit too? Could it be useful? So many questions, and the inquisitiveness of Kaia was actually starting to kick in.

The dark haired young woman was feeling the memory, experiencing it, what was being shared. She looked to the Hermit of Hoth. His background and history was not all snowstorms was it. He was more similar to her father in a regard. Coren was a smuggler, typically in the best vein of that, but it was… interesting.

Not everyone was a Jedi from birth, she had a different upbringing than most, didn’t she? Fortunate that way.

And that was bringing her to the memory she was intending to share. The young Mirialan was feeling that time when she realized what it meant to be a Jedi. She was raised differently than many, born on a starship to parents that were missing within her first year, taken care of by her surrogate aunt and uncle, along with her brother, Jared.

They were trained off of the family Holocron. Learned to make barriers, to take in harmful Force powers and store them, convert them to their own use. But it wasn’t until she was dropped off on an unfamiliar world, rocky, near lifeless. She had a crate of equipment, foodstuffs, water, tools, and a broken TIE Avenger. She looked to the fighter.

You will need to find your way home. Said her aunt Lily. The fighter will work, but you must bring the hyperdrive back online.

And that was what Kaia had set about doing. Opening up under the panel, adjusting wiring, and ensuring that the engines were working, and systems were coming on green. The fighter had life support, and sublight. But the trick was to realign wiring and replace it.

Soon, well, hours later, the hyperdrive came online. Kaia smiled. As the ship was ready, she launched it, and fell into the Force, looking for home. She could feel her father then, for the real first time

Telling her how to fold the wrinkles in hyperspace, and find where the Dawn Treader was. It was a moment of joy, a moment of feeling connected to her family legacy. The first time she knew things were going to be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom