Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pilgrim's Path (Cira, Open)

Kanet Gannegar stepped off the landing platform of a nearly mint-condition YT-2400. Its smuggler captain prided himself on keeping it in pristine form for his work. He had granted Kanet passage to the highly industrialized Colonies world of Fondor, headquarters of Omega Pyre, for the meager price of piloting the ship there himself. Kanet bid his goodbyes upon arrival, and departed, leaving the errant smuggler to find himself a new pilot. Kanet thought the situation almost droll: a smuggler who couldn't fly in a ship too clean to carry contraband.

In fact, it had almost been too clean to carry Kanet. On most days, the pilgrim was dustier than a bantha, but having just come from Tatooine, he had been thorough in scrubbing himself off - at the behest of his chauffeur. Cleanliness was a luxury that he rarely afforded himself, but given the circumstances, he decided that exceptions could be made.

Tatooine had been Kanet's last stop on his tour of B'omarr temples and monasteries. He had been briefly enamored with the philosophy, intrigued by its practices, but he thought that no asceticism was true if it was enforced with a scalpel and a droid body. Still, he traveled to Danuta and Teth and, finally, to Tatooine, to see the monks in all their squalor. There was very little of spiritual interest in the old temples. The B'omarr monks let too many interlopers frequent their homes, so any genuine artifacts were lost to raiders and vagabonds.

Over the years, Kanet had become a self-taught archaeologist; academic pursuits, he rarely said aloud, were a strong counterpart to the skills of battle taught to him by his adoptive parents on Yanibar. The Zeison Sha were efficient and effective teachers of many disciplines, but they were rarely accused of being intellectuals. After Kanet imposed exile upon himself, he sought those intellectual pursuits. He found them helpful in silencing the thirst for blood that tantalized his mind.

A spaceport functionary stopped him briefly, wrinkling his nose. Kanet's garb no doubt cast aspersions on his intentions. He was clad in simple clothes, a tan tunic and faded black pants, and he carried a leather haversack over one shoulder; that animal-skin bag housed his every possession. The functionary, a local, as bald and pale as any Fondorian, flicked his eyes from Kanet's own bald scalp to his thick, tangled beard.

"What is your business on Fondor?" he asked.

Kanet looked calmly from the functionary to the datapad he carried, no doubt filled with tabulated responses to that very question. He let the silence hang in the air for much longer than comfort preferred, until the pale fellow began to squirm under his eye. At last, he replied, "I was invited." His voice was deep, and it resonated with the dark timbre of his tribal ancestry. By way of explanation, he held out a datapad of his own.

The Fondorian functionary tenuously retrieved the 'pad, skimmed it, and smiled a bureaucrat's smile. "Ah, by Omega Pyre," he said, "Of course you'll want a taxi to these coordinates!" He stepped onto the street and reached out a blinking gizmo to signal a commercial airspeeder.

Kanet caught the outstretched forearm with a russet hand and brought it back down. The confused bureaucrat looked down at the muscular digits that gripped his arm; he must have thought they were like a vise made from burnt sienna. He followed them up the arm to the face that matched them. He swallowed hard, staring into Kanet's impassive eyes until at last, he said, "Perhaps not."

Kanet nodded his thanks and began to walk in the general directions he had been given by "Cira." He knew it was not her real name - the same way he knew that the functionary feared him and that a passing landspeeder would ignore the traffic light ordering it to stop. (Kanet halted his own amble to let the speeder pass, then resumed.) He did not blame Cira for keeping her true name to herself; many cultures believed that names had power, and to know someone's name was to have power over them.

Kanet did not know if that were true, but he did know that names were a private matter. Even if you could not control someone by his name, you did not deserve to know it all the same.

After a few hours of walking in the industry-laden atmosphere of Fondor, Kanet Gannegar arrived at the designated coordinates.

Kanet had a companion through his travels, a man void of the Force and quiet as the night. Sarge was known, by and large, as a loud, jovial sort. A bit on the immature side, if by 'bit' you meant 'over the edge'.

His reputation was for lacking subtlety, and that's how he liked it.

Sarge was a fantastic soldier, but he was an even better assassin. That meant he could hide and track with the best. It also meant he kept eyes on anyone who may be after those he sought to protect: yes, protect.

Usually assassins killed, but just as often assassins were used to stave off their counterparts. It took one to know one, and Sarge had been playing this game for centuries. Not literally, but close enough once you adjusted for repeated cryostasis.

He wore the standard black OmegaPyre plasteel armor, but over top was a cloak fashioned into a makeshift hood. While the cloak was nothing overly special, the head covering it formed shadowed the upper half of a youthful face prematurely aged by puckered scar tissue and a bit of a wilderness beard.

The shadow walked straight through crowds of citizens who moved about him like he didn't exist. Mostly because he didn't. No one saw anything out of the ordinary. It was as though he hid in plain sight by sheer force of will.

Most of all, however, he kept just out of sight of his charge.

This man was here to see Cira; he was following up the job offer. That meant he posed a potential threat. Sarge knew threats.

Threats got neutralized.

Perhaps it wouldn't come to that.

Perhaps it would.

Now that they were are the rendezvous coordinates, Sarge stepped into the shadows and faded entirely from sight. It was time to wait for the Lady's arrival; he'd have his eyes on Kanet until then.

Cira

C
@[member="Sarge Potteiger"] @[member="Kanet Gannegar"]

"Prex."

The low apologetic murmur came after a knock in her door. "He's here."

Long lashes began blinking passively, a slight frown furrowing over her face. "He?" she asked, a bit confused.

A small data pad was given to her afterward, the image and contact information of the man who'd checked in earlier with her invitation. A faint smile grew over her lips.

He came.

Golden orbs drew up and she gave a nod. "Thank you." she said, setting down the datapad on her desk. A few minutes later after a lift ride down, Cira came ambling down the large double doors that lead towards the east wing of Omega Pyre Tower. Since the droid attack, much of the building was still in the process of reconstruction, but this time, with added security protocols included.

She wasn't dressed too far off from her usual attire; although the bulk of the spider silk armor had been left behind. Her hair for once, flowed in soft waves down her shoulders and her back, and while she lacked the basic black get up, she wasn't unarmed. The saber at her hip would mark her as a Force user, but beyond that, it would be hard to determine of which sort.

Taking a couple of steps down, hair swaying with every step, she came to the Atrium, where there stood the man she'd been anxious to meet. Hand extended out in welcome, Cira said in greeting, "Welcome to Fondor, Mr. Gannegar." her smile grew wider, "It is my pleasure to finally meet you."

@[member="Cira"] @[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Kanet shook the proffered hand firmly. The woman had not left him waiting long; for the leader of a company of this sort, that took dedication that he admired. She was lithe and graceful, and her auburn hair created an allure that he could not shake. A niggling suspicion in the back of his mind told him that all was not as it seemed, but he let the feeling subside. He did not want to begin this matter with unfounded assumptions, even if the Force often backed up his first impression.

He smiled thinly and gave one sharp nod at her greeting. He was not a man for pleasantries, no matter how pleasant the person with whom he was to exchange them. "No money," was all he said in reply. When the inevitable awkward moment passed, he explained, "If we work together, I won't take your money."

@[member="Cira"] @[member="Kanet Gannegar"]

If Sarge weren't on edge, the sight of Cira before him might have stolen his concentration. But even from his corner of the room, just behind their newest guest, his attention didn't even gravitate to her for a single moment.

Watching the exchange, it took Sarge a moment or two to realize why he was so tense.

His warknife, 25 centimeters of double edged, freshly whetted metal, was clasped tightly in his hand. It was a long blade specifically because it doubled as a bayonet, but that wasn't the point.

The point was, he hadn't even realized the blade was in his hand. But he didn't put it back; no sense now. It just meant something about this guy was rubbing him the wrong way.

He knew it was because he was so close to the Prex, but he couldn't for the life of him figure it out if it was due to the crush he'd developed on her - likely cause she was a frigid queen - or because of her position within the Protectorate. He hoped it was the latter, but feared the former.

Sticking to what he knew best, silence and shadows, he willed his mind into ceasing to think.

Cira

C

Cira blinked once, twice, to make sure she was not just hearing things, but the clarification from the monk made it crystal clear. The corner of her mouth perked upward a bit - not in mockery, but more mild amusement - and she gave a small nod.

"I take it you mean direct compensation," she replied, drawing back her hand only to encourage him to walk with her a bit. Around them, one could hear the sounds of construction, of progress. "To which I counter that I still offer a fabulous benefits package," she said in light humor, clasping her hands loosely at the small of her back as she ambled along the atrium.

She gave a small pause, then gave a nod, "Do you have any other conditions, Mr. Gannegar?" she asked, turning to face him anew as she walked.

From the shadows, Thraishe watched, waited, to see who and what these people were doing. It had been a while since he had fought someone and these poor souls might fall victim to his unquenchable bloodlust. How could he have been so corrupted from his Thyrsian ways...He drew his Force Pike and waited in hiding, stalking the prey. He noticed one man @[member="Sarge Potteiger"], who looked exceptional. Death shall rain down today...

Kanet nodded once more. "I want to decide where I go and when," he answered. He was a pilgrim and a monk; he was appreciative of Cira's offer to fund his research, and he was happy to share his discoveries, but he was not about to change who he was. That meant no compensation for his work, and no limitation on how long he remained in a place, or which places he studied.

Besides, with Cira's funding at his disposal, he already knew exactly where he wanted to go next. He finished, "Starting with Seylott."

@[member="Cira"] @[member="Kanet Gannegar"]

Sarge, lengthy blade still held in a vice in a gloved hand, swiveled his head momentarily to make sure no one was watching the group. If they weren't alone... he'd not show himself just yet. But it seemed they were quite alone. Still, something nagged at him.

Things just didn't feel quite right.

He lingered, waiting, hidden from view despite being a meter or two away from the pair.

Cira

C

Cira gave a small pause at that, her eyes widening slightly, "In search of the Disciples of Shaa?" she inquired with mild surprise and curiosity. There were tales of an ancient group of Seylotts that worshiped Shaa, embodied in two statues, the Mother and Infant of Shaa.

How curious.

A faint smile grew upon her lips, "The Sarin Sector...It is near our borders. You should have no trouble traveling there," she said, giving a slight nod. "Very well, no personal compensaion and you have the freedom to select what to research," she gave a half turn then, facing him. This is where she put in her part of the agreement.

"As long as you share whatever you find with our information databases. Any artifacts, objects of lore, or anything pertinent found in your research should be brought back to our archives if possible for safekeeping. That is of course, if they are not currently kept for safekeeping at their respective planets." she gave a pause, then continued," My desire is to treasure and preserve as much of the past as possible Mr. Gannegar. I do not seek power nor glory with whatever treasures or artifacts that you find; my goal is to preserve as much of what had been lost in the past millenia before and after the outbreak."

"If you find any of the Fringe Force groups who are in need of preserving their culture and their philosophies, the extension of protection through the Omega Protectorate can be offered through you. If you accept a position in the company, you are within full rights a Representative of the Protectorate." Another pause, "I ask also that you do not share or disclose any of your findings to anyone outside the Protectorate. While I feel that knowledge and information should be free to be reviewed by all... the looming war between the Empire and the Galactic Republic troubles us all. The last thing we need are those who would use any of your research for their own public gain and power struggle. We have enough with OMNI and others who would wipe out billions by abusing the knowledge of the past."

[OOC: Sorry about the delay. RL has been terribly hectic.]

That last caveat did not sit well with Kanet, but he would never be so foolish as to hand over his only copies of his research to any one entity.

Not that they would be able to read them if he did.

"I accept," he answered with a nod. "If you furnish me with a blank datapad, I will even transcribe my research from the past ten years for your perusal. With that in hand, all I shall need is transportation to Seylott." He provided another forced smile. Business dealings, even for the greater good, rankled his stomach.

@[member="Kanet Gannegar"] @[member="Cira"]

The meeting seemed mostly through, and Sarge was satisfied that no one was here to kill them. Tracking his gaze back and forth once more, just to be safe, he steps from his hiding spot. What Cira would see, and Kanet wouldn't, was that he seemed to peel himself from the wall as though a part of it.

In one hand was his startlingly long double bladed bayonet and knife that was quickly becoming his trademark and in the other... a datapad.

A blank datapad. But they didn't know that yet.

"Here.", he says with a quiet, albeit stern, voice. The blade is slid back into a sheath on his belt, although it was nearly a scabbard.

Cira

C
@[member="Kanet Gannegar"] @[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

OOC: No worries, I know how hectic that can be!

IC:

"That is perfectly fi-" enter Sarge. Her eyes narrowed. Oh she'd felt the void near. It was hard not to discern the lack of the flow of the Force around the Sergeant. In another second, her expression turned indistinguishable, then a faint smile appeared over her lips as she turned to Kanet.

"Ask and you shall receive," she said, taking the datapad from his hand, although not before giving a glance towards the knife he'd just sheathed, as if asking, Why did you have that out?!

Turning over to Kanet, she presented him the datapad. "Thank you for the offer of a copy of your research," while it hadn't been asked for, the offer alone was enough to excite her. In her own time -- private time that is -- she would start pouring over the research to her heart's content. It had been a while since she'd been able to humor her original choice in job specialty - none would know her origins, and she liked it that way. Having Kanet here would be not only a benefit to preserving whatever precious bit of history he would find, but also allow her a venue to indulge in her guilty pleasure. All the more reason she was more than willing to meet his demands.

"As for transportation, I can have one prepared for you with all the supplies that you will need," there came a slight pause, "Do you desire an aide?" she asked.

Kanet eyed the newcomer. He had felt something twinge at the small of his back, suspected something was off - but a heavily armed soldier had not been his expectation. Whoever this man was, he was more skilled than any of the hunters that Kanet had encountered in the past... which was admittedly a short list, but even so.

He accepted the datapad with another single nod. Silence was his way, after all. But not everything could be answered with silence.

"I usually work alone," he answered, and was about to leave it at that, but he had already done some preliminary research. He knew what Seylott would have in store, especially if anyone else was pursuing the Infant of Shaa. The Seylott people, especially the Disciples of Shaa, were not to be trifled with, either. "But given the circumstances," he finished, "I would not refuse assistance."

Paired brown eyes drifted towards @[member="Cira"] as she glanced to the blade that was now put away. They offered no answer, no solace that he was merely doing his job. Rather, she met cold steel and then his eyes closed slowly. When they reopened, they were fixated on their guest.

Fading back into the shadows, Sarge went back to his semi-passive observation. @[member="Kanet Gannegar"] was an interesting man, and he'd elicited a faint twinkle in Cira's eye that warranted further looking into. Was she after something?

Who knew except her. Funny how similar he and the Prex were in regards to their personal wants and needs, interests and life. Perhaps it's why they didn't get along so well.

Cira

C

OOC: Sorry for the delay! I've been in the middle of moving and had no internet!

IC:

She caught Sarge's expression. Well, that would warrent another conversation wouldn't it? Curious. Then again. The man was a void. It drove her curious as much as it frustrated her. Blame her Shi'ido half.

However, her attention drew upon the wanderer once more at the mention of not refusing assistance.

Oh, how tempting it would be to suggest an alias that she could use to shapeshift into. How tempting it would be to simply do so to be side by side with Kanet and discover the status of Seylott. So... very... tempting...

Her mind quickly ran over the possibilities; she could in theory, leave Tegaea and Ayden to handle the Protectorate for the time that she'd be away. With the Exarch's, her direct attention was not necessary....

It could be all too easy...

"I have someone in mind, Mr. Gannegar. I'll send their credentials over for your inspection. I'm sure they will not disappoint." she extended her hand anew to shake his. "Thank you once again Mr. Gannegar... Welcome to the Omega Protectorate."

@[member="Sarge Potteiger"] @[member="Cira"]

Kanet shook the proffered hand and bowed his head in acquiescence. He did not reply. When she had gone, he ambled about the bottom level of Omega Pyre Tower's east wing until he found a place to sit, something like a lobby. Someone asked if he needed anything, and he casually dismissed them.

He had no hotel room, no ship, and no home on Fondor; ergo, he had no place to go to wait for Cira's communiqué. Instead, he settled in to the comfortable armchair he had found and withdrew a small paper book from his pack. He opened to the front cover and, finding that it was not the one he needed, he replaced it and withdrew another. He repeated this process three times until he finally extricated a book which pleased him. Flipping past the thick opening pages, he placed his forefinger on the first line of the first full page and began to follow along. With his other hand, he typed rapidly into the blank datapad; by the speed of his transcription, each symbol in the book corresponded to a word, phrase, or even an entire sentence in Basic.

It was a language Kanet had discovered on the fourteenth moon of Casna Besh, written in a series of glyphs. Over a period of two years, Kanet had studied and mastered the glyphs he had found, and added more than a few of his own. It was in these glyphs that he recorded the notes of his archeological expeditions, in a series of paper books. He expected he would leave this language out of the notes he provided to Cira, when the time came; they had no bearing on Force traditions, temples, or the like, and they were not a dangerous source of power, beyond his own power to keep a secret.

The transcribing process was arduous, but Kanet worked quickly. After only a few hours, he went to the front desk and handed the datapad to the girl there. She took it with a smile, but Kanet thought she might have been confused. "For your boss," he explained.

"Of course," she answered, "The Prex wanted me to inform you that your ship is ready. You may go to this hangar,"--she handed him a new datapad with coordinates on it--"to depart at your preference."

Kanet nodded his thanks and left the lobby. He did not stroll, but he ambled. He was at leisure, but he was not aimless; he had purpose. He had been eager to visit Seylott for years, but the world was too far removed from society; no one ever needed to visit Seylott, so no one ever did, which meant he could never obtain passage there. At least, not without the fistfuls of money that Omega Pyre seemed to have in abundance.

The hangar was not far; Kanet suspected it was exclusive to Omega Pyre's personnel, especially based on the number of uniformed mercenaries he saw coming and going. For what it was worth, Omega Pyre's personnel seemed extremely professional--but Kanet did not count that for much. The "Private Military and Security Contractors" were still just men and women who knew how to kill and sold that ability for a profit. Their CEO's personal claims of decency and hope and charity notwithstanding, Kanet was not about to trust any of them farther than the straight edge of his discblade.

The ship designated on his datapad was a YGX-2350. It was a sleek ship, and had probably been modified by Omega Pyre, if Kanet had to guess. The YGX series was a versatile replacement for the ancient YT series, even if it was already aged in its own right. It would certainly carry him and a bunch of unnecessary archeological equipment to Seylott and back.

A soldier stood at the lowered ramp of the ship. Kanet approached him. The man eyed the pilgrim with a wary look, not quite believing that he was supposed to turn over an expensive ship to this unkempt ruffian. "Uhh," he hesitated, "Kanet, right?"

Kanet frowned. "Mister Gannegar," he corrected with more than a little condescension.

"Uh, sorry," the merc answered, "I'm supposed to hand this vessel over to your authority, and pilot you to Seylott, if need be."

Kanet shook his head once. "That won't be necessary," he replied, walking past the guard onto the ship's ramp. It was a smooth, clean ship, but it had seen use before. Not that Kanet had expected anything different; you don't give a brand new ship to your brand new employee to fly off someplace he might not come back from, even if you are fancifully wealthy.

"One more thing, sir," the mercenary said; he had turned, but he had not left his spot. "I was also told you should be expecting a communication from the Prex about a possible assistant on your mission. That should be arriving anytime."

Kanet recalled that @[member="Cira"] had told him she would be sending down credentials for his perusal. He wondered if perhaps the signal had gotten lost along the way. The soldier continued to wait silently at the base of the ramp. "Okay," Kanet said impatiently, opening his hands to suggest that he had nothing left for the man. When the soldier, obviously baffled by the oddest new associate of Omega Pyre, Kanet gestured away from the ship. "Go!"

At last the man left. Kanet turned back and closed the ramp, then took a walking tour of the ship, familiarizing himself with her. She was not dissimilar from other vessels he had flown; he had no doubt in her ability to get him where he wanted to go and back safely. His tour took him at last to the cockpit, where he settled in to wait for Cira's credentialed personnel file.

Cira:

There was a perk of her brows as Cira had excused herself from Kanet, then from Sarge. She gave an incline of her head, a small nod to the Sergent Major.

"Business to attend to," she said, giving a turn to walk away back into the tower. "Try not to kill anyone..." Months earlier, it would have been said as a snide remark. This time, however, it held a measure of humor.

Without another word, the Lady Protector disappeared into the wide double doors of the newly constructed Omega Tower.

There was a small beep of a comm in the cockpit; a small flash of light to indicate an incoming message for Kanet. One would wonder who, but with the Lady Protector having said she would send an aide, it wouldn't be remiss to assume that is who it would be.

For the moment, it continued to beep steadily, waiting for the Zeison Sha to pick up. Once he did, he would see the holoimage of a young woman approximately in her early twenties , short in stature, with a short bob of straight red hair. Further investigations would place her just outside the ship with a small bag of luggage in tow.

Kanet:

Kanet had begun to doze lightly when the comm beeped at him. He awoke with a start, then checked the comm system. There was a young woman, perhaps a decade younger than he was, standing outside the ship with her luggage. He frowned; he had expected a file, but instead the woman herself showed up, ready to go.

Still, there was no reason to think things amiss. He made his way from the cockpit to the loading ramp and opened it. He strolled down it before it hit the ground. As he entered the openness of the hangar, he was able to see the woman more clearly. Her red hair was short and straight, but it hinted at a burning passion beneath this prim and proper academic. She was shortish, but she was not the sort of woman anyone could look down on with impunity. Kanet held out a dark-skinned hand in greeting. "Kanet Gannegar," he introduced himself, "Welcome."

Something about her seemed oddly familiar, but he did not recognize her, and he could not put his finger on what was tickling the back of his brain. He let the feeling pass, and focused his attention on the young woman.

Talia:

The woman took his hand with a firm shake and a faint smile. "Thank you Mr. Gannegar, it is a pleasure." her voice was throaty, almost husky. Pulling away from his grip, she drew her hand over to a small pocket within the confines of her coat. There, she took a small datapad.

With a rather apologetic manner, she extended the file to him. "Here are my credentials if you so deem them to be fit." She said a bit shyly, with a notable rush of pink over her cheeks. The data he would find would be rather extensive for one her age; Graduated from University of Coruscant in sentientology, with specialization in xeno-ethnology and well established xenolinguist. She had worked in notable missions in aiding Omega Pyre scouts explore the outer rim and reconnect to lost civilizations, most of which had come under the wing of the Protectorate.

Kanet:

Kanet skimmed the datapad more than read it. If @[member=Cira] thought this girl had the credentials to accompany him on an expedition of this magnitude, then he did not doubt the facts. Even so, he was impressed by the bulleted points on the resume; her xenolinguistic training could be useful among the Seylott, with whose language Kanet was unfamiliar. Her previous experience was less interesting to him; he imagined that anyone in the employ of Omega Pyre could come up with a list of missions as long as his leg, but he doubted a single one of those was planned with the same character and goal as his own work. Discovery of scientific factoids was one thing; discovery of faith was something else entirely.

That was another reason Kanet was less interested in the file; he had been perfectly willing to entertain the process, however Cira had seen fit, but what he really wanted to know was the sort of person coming along with him. As he eyed the girl past the datapad, he wondered who she really was. There was a fire there, a passion, but it was beneath the surface. She had been embarrassed to seek his approbation of her, or so it had seemed, and she was humble enough not to presume it. There was definitely some potential there.

He smiled, a little lopsidedly, and handed back the datapad. "Looks good to me," he answered. "What do I call you?"

Talia:

So far so good. Then again, for all who normally saw her, would only see her as the mousy Professor Al Ghul. Which was perfectly fine by her. "Talia, Mr. Gannegar," came the soft reply with a hint of a smile and an incline of her head. "I am one of the researchers of the Protectorate Scientific Academy for Advanced Technologies. "

Her fingers curled a bit tighter around her small bag at his scrutiny, but nonetheless she kept her chin up. "I will be honored if you so deem me fit to accompany you." there came another upturn of the corners of her lips.

"Do you have any questions for me?"

Kanet:

Kanet's expression suggested that her credentials had soared over his head like the finer points of molecular genetics. "I'm good, Talia," he answered. He intentionally over-enunciated her name, drawing out the sounds into distinct syllables, as if trying to make a point. She had the education, authority, and audacity necessary for this mission, but she neither demanded nor even claimed one of her deserved titles, like "doctor" or "professor" or "ma'am." She acted familiar with him, perhaps too familiar, but she respected his boundaries as much as she abandoned boundaries of her own. Kanet was not entirely sure what to make of her.

He turned and started up the ramp. Near the hatch, he noticed she had not followed him. Glancing back, he gestured into the ship. "Let's go," he said expectantly. Then he turned again and entered the ship.

Talia:

So far so good, Talia thought to herself. Then again, fading into the background and merely sticking to what she needed to do was her specialty. Force signature hidden and shifted to another being entirely gave Talia the ability to work around the Protectorate as she saw fit with no intervention or hinderance.

"Of course, Mr. Gannegar." she replied quickly, following suit as she entered the ship. The pad of boots and footsteps echoed lightly throughout the corridor. "Is there somewhere in particular you would like me to stay?" came her query, not wanting to impose more than she had already.

"And do you need my assistance in anything prior to departure? What are my responsibilities to be?" guidelines would make it clear what his expectations of her were.

Kanet:

Kanet gestured to the empty corridors of the vessel. "This isn't my ship," he said, "Pick a room." He expected that he would spend most of his time in the cockpit, keeping an eye on their progress, or in the cargo hold, checking over the materials Cira had loaded onto the vessel for his use. He was not about to appropriate some captain's stateroom and claim it for his own just because he happened to arrive at the ship before Talia. He had no more claim to this vessel than she did - perhaps even less.

Not to mention that staterooms and luxury refreshers and feather beds and silk sheets were all the marks of self-indulgence. The main thing he had promised himself about taking this job was that he would not compromise his principles, no matter what he was offered.

When she asked about her role, he frowned and gave a small shrug. "I don't need any help taking off," he said, "but if you want to tag along, you're welcome to. As for your 'responsibilities,' you're mostly here to help me interact with the Seylott, but your expertise in sentientology will be useful on all aspects of the mission." He gestured generically at the ship as he stepped into the cockpit and sat down. "I can take care of the technical side of things well enough."

Talia:

He was a curious man; certainly did not covet worldly possessions. One had to wonder why he had come to that decision. However, that would be a conversation for another day.

"As you wish Mr. Gannegar," Talia said with an incline of her head in respect. They would be working together after all; who knew for what length of time. If he desired that she help him interact with the Seylott, that would suffice, but she would likely be doing some investigating of her own.

She did as she was told, deciding on a room closer to the cockpit for convenience sake. After putting away her bags she made her way back to the cockpit, taking a seat next to him. She shot him an inquisitive glance, "Would you like me to set the coordinates in the navcomputer?" her hands hovering over the controls

Kanet:

Kanet glanced at the navicomputer. "If you like," he said, a bemused smile on his face. "I still have some preflight checks to make." His hands flew across the controls; though he had never operated this particular model before, he was adaptive and clever. Flying a ship in perfect maneuvers took dedication and practice with that ship, and that ship alone, but simply flying a ship took some basic knowledge and the ability to cope with your circumstances. Kanet had that in spades.

While they worked, he tried to come up with a compelling question for Talia. He had seen her educational and employment background in her file, but he was less interested in that. What he really wanted to know was her personhood: who was she, really? What did she have to offer - or to gain - in this mission?

At last, he tried to be diplomatic. "What got you interested in archaeology, Talia?" he asked.

Talia:

Her own hands flew over the navcomputer at the same pace, fingers keying in the data for Seylott. The holographic display shimmered as it went zooming across the three dimensional star map, before zooming in on the Sarin Sector, and then finally the Seylott system.

She gave no pause at his question, merely continuing in her work as she answered plainly, "There is a lesson to be learned from the past Mr. Gannegar. Lessons that if taken to account, perhaps can be prevented from recurring in the future." the cerulean light of the holographic system bathed her profile in a pale blue glow. She kept her attention on the map, "Too much has already been lost either due to war, mishap, or sheer incompetence. I rather preserve what remains so not only can we learn from past cultures, but continue their legacy."

"It is a guilty pleasure, I'll admit. Every new discovery is a piece of a much larger puzzle... and there is something satisfying about being able to fit the many pieces of a puzzle together to create a larger picture." she finally cast a glance over to him, watching him with dark chestnut eyes.

"What about you?"

Kanet:

They were not the same. That, Kanet had known straight off. Her explanation of her motivations only solidified it in his mind. She was interested in rescuing the galaxy using the knowledge of the past. She wanted to preserve, yes, but she was also interested in improving society. She had ulterior motives for studying the past; that alone made her different from him. Or at least, that was the way he saw it.

To Kanet, the past was a glorious thing. Studying it honored those who lived it, and taught him much about the nature of life in the galaxy. But though his work made him a skilled and prolific archaeologist, his goal was not primarily to study the past--it was to study Truth, wherever he could find it. The past held Truth in a special way; all the lies, all the deceits, all the sins were scoured away by the sands of time, and Truth alone remained. He wanted that Truth, not to benefit society, but to save his own soul.

He feared his own darkness more than he feared any war or societal flaw.

Not that he was going to tell Talia that. He was succinct, as usual. "Edification," he answered her, "and understanding." The ship was ready for dust-off, and Kanet did not hesitate; they had nothing else on Fondor, and Seylott awaited.

Knowing that Talia would be disappointed in his curt response, he added, "It behooves us to study what others have left behind. It honors them, and it improves us." He glanced back at her as the vessel rose into the rust-red sunset. "What shall we call this ship, by the way? I didn't see a name attached to the transponder."

Talia:

"This is a smaller version of the Pathfinder class," Talia said in answer, feeling the engines hum under her. "It is made for long term exploration and reconnaissance." she shot him a brief glance, "The Voyager." Likely not very original, but it gave a nice brief summary on just what it's purpose is.

"We should arrive at Seylott within the next forty eight hours." she informed Gannegar. That's when she flashed him a brief smile, "And you are right... it does honor them. Improves us." With that she returned her attention to the NavComputer.

Kanet:

Kanet nodded, his bald scalp gleaming in the light of Fondor's yellow star. The Voyager; it was as fair a name as any. Escaping the gravity well of the planet, he pushed the acceleration forward, leading the ship past the system's third ring of asteroids and beyond the gas giant Mzeh before he engaged the Hyperdrive. Talia's calculations in the navicomputer poured into the ship's systems, linked into the drive, and threw the ship hurtling away from the speckled lights of realspace into the twisted vortex of Hyperspace.

Kanet noted the ship's path, as Talia had entered it: first, she would follow the Rimma to Sullust. Then, in a move that cruise liners and military navigators would see as reckless--but smugglers did all the time--she would hop over to the Hydian Way and follow it up to Darkknell. Then she would follow smaller routes and smugglers' back-channels toward galactic east and south until she reached the small and insignificant system of Seylott.

Satisfied, Kanet settled back in the pilot seat. Trusting Talia to see to her own needs for the remainder of the flight, he dozed off, easily awakened when the time came to redirect the ship and continue her voyage.

The proximity alert beeped incessantly, snapping Kanet back to wakefulness. The ship reverted to realspace by default, in high orbit over Seylott. They had arrived.

But the proximity alert continued to beep. Frowning, Kanet tapped the console, suspecting a broken connector somewhere--but then he saw that it was not the navicomputer's proximity alert beeping now, but the sensors', warning him of a nearby ship. Surprise bled through his usual calm; checking the console again, he saw a freighter-class vessel approaching fast. "Talia!" he called, not checking to see if she was already in the cockpit. He would need her assistance if these people were hostile.

Accessing the comm system, he sent out a communique. "Unidentified vessel, this is Captain Kanet Gannegar of the Voyager. We are conducting a routine survey of this planet. How can we assist?"

There was a pop and crackle as a deep alien voice came back, "Voyager, this is Captain Rane of the Poisoned Hoard. Shut down your engines, deactivate your shields, and prepare to be boarded." To emphasize the point, a splash of laser fire rattled the ship. A warning shot, no doubt.

Kanet checked the sensor readings of the other ship; it was an older model, but it had more than enough firepower to challenge the Voyager, especially if this "Rane" had a crew. There was no way they could fight their way out, and if he let them board, all would be lost. He quickly scanned the near side of the planet; there were no good landing places, which also meant that they would be hard to find with sensors--at least on foot. If they let the pirates dock, they could use that time as a distraction, while they launched an escape pod for the surface. The downside of that was being stranded on Seylott without a ship or a means of contacting one.

Glancing back, with precious moments before Rane opened fire again, he asked, "Ideas? Fight or flight?"

[OOC: Rane is an albino Feeorin pirate with a crew of about ten on a freighter--canon or not--with more power than the Voyager, but probably bulkier. They're all NPCs. Feel free to control them at any time.]

@[member="Talia Al Ghul"] @[member="Cira"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom