Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Path of a Jedi

bWMGgIz.png
Valery: Appearance
Outfit: Factory Link
Lightsabers: Link!
Ship: Factory link
Tag: Iris Arani Iris Arani
Under normal circumstances, Valery would have been up early in the morning to begin her personal routine of meditations and training, to then call in her students for their lessons. But she wasn't the worst kind of teacher and knew Iris needed the rest. So after finishing her own training session of the day, Valery took a shower and changed into her typical outfit before heading to the library. There, she spent some time reading but at around 9 am in the morning, she finally believed it was time to call in her Padawan. Perhaps still early to some, but not quite to her.
<Transmission>
"Padawan Arani, please meet me in the library as soon as possible. It's time to start your first lesson."
With the message sent, Valery leaned back into her chair and watched as other Jedi walked in and out of the library. At this time of the day, it was fairly quiet but many were beginning their day as well, and thus their studies in the library. It made her remember how much she used to dislike it - she wanted to just spend all day training with the lightsaber, or learning more about the Force in practical classes.
But now, here she was, waiting for her Padawan to arrive so she could learn more about what it truly meant to be a Jedi. It was an exciting feeling, so she looked forward to seeing the young girl appear at the door.
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

<Transmission>
"Padawan Arani, please meet me in the library as soon as possible. It's time to start your first lesson."

Iris was asleep. She'd been pretty much out since they made it back to Ossus after their.. Meeting. Hiding away, really. She was.. Processing. That was the only way she could word it if asked. Not that she had been. Not that she bothered to go speak to others about what was going on. It was at least another hour before she woke up, her eyes opening slowly as she stared towards the midmorning sun.

Again, she didn't want to do anything. With a frown the young girl rolled on her back, arms stretching up towards the ceiling. She was.. Oh. The beeping of her holocom caught her attention. She played the message, then jolted right up. Valery Noble Valery Noble had called her for the first lesson!? And she'd slept!? Panicking about the fact she was late Iris would throw on her robe and rush to the library.

Looking utterly disheveled she stepped in, still pulling on one of her shoes before she smiled and waved. "Sorry! I'm here now. Should we begin?"

bWMGgIz.png
Valery was still sitting in the same spot when Iris arrived, only now with a can and two cups, one of which filled with hot tea. Hearing Iris approach, Valery looked up and blinked. She looked like she had only just stepped out of bed.
"Good morning, Iris," she said with a smile. "You're a little late, but I figured you needed the rest. Go take a seat, and I'll pour you a cup of tea. Then we'll begin your first lesson, which will be about the Jedi Code."
The brunette then waited for Iris to sit down before she'd pour the girl a cup.
"Have you heard about the Jedi code before? If so, what can you tell me about it?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Tea? Tea sounded wonderful. Iris sat down beside Valery Noble Valery Noble , gratefully taking the cup to start sipping down the drink once it was poured for her. The rush of warmth it brought had her smile. Settle more in her seat. This was comfortable. The colors around them, idly flowing as the world turned. Warm tea. A beautiful morning, if Iris could ever say so. Though, the code? Iris hummed softly.

"The one about peace right? .. Mm. I didn't listen that well, heh. There were so many bright colors."

bWMGgIz.png
"The Code is important to know and understand. It fundamentally describes much about the behavior of Jedi."
Valery looked at the girl, her expression a bit more serious now that they were beginning the first lesson. While Jedi Philosophy wasn't always the most interesting or exciting to learn, it was crucial in order to walk the path of a Jedi correctly.
"So for this lesson, I'll go through each line of the Code with you. I'll explain them, but know there is room for interpretation. For that reason, I'd first like you to tell me what you think the line means before I go into more detail. Questions or comments regarding my explanation are welcomed at each point as well." she said.
"The first line is: There is no emotion, there is Peace."
"What do you think it means?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Ah, maybe she really should have paid attention. No, she should have. There was no room for doubt on that. She gave Valery Noble Valery Noble a nervous smile, but nodded and listened. Sipping at her tea here and there, but listened. This was the path she wanted to walk, and there was no just dipping in a toe or two. Sitting up straight, idly sipping at her tea here and there, her gaze stayed focused on the Master.

Then the question. She blinked. She wasn't ready for a test this early into the lesson! Still, after she took a moment to calm herself, she thought on it. "No emotion, peace.. .. Thinking through things?" That was the only instance she could think of. People acted impulsively, that's what she learned in her life. The colors often dictated just how someone would act. The reds of anger and hate had people lash out or yell. Blues of sadness had people withdraw. Cry. Was that the color she could only describe as Light? That emotion, no, state of being where a Jedi acted through the colors?

She frowned.

".. Does this mean Jedi ignore their feelings?"

bWMGgIz.png
Valery watched the girl think and nodded lightly at the answer. For someone who was very new to being a Jedi, she had given quite a solid answer to the question. But most importantly, she had been forced to actively think about this line. Hopefully, it meant that she'd remember it all more easily.
"I wouldn't say that we ignore them, but we don't allow them to control us either," she said in response.
"Jedi are still people, so we experience all emotions and many of them are really important to experience. If fear did not exist, what would naturally stop us from being reckless? If compassion had to be ignored, then how could we relate to the people who need help, and truly aid them?" she asked rhetorically.
"This line just means that systematically a Jedi should not allow emotion to be the main driving force of their actions. They should ultimately come from a place of peace, a mindset generated through our training and Self-discipline."
"So while we experience emotions, we must still think before we act. We can't let fear stop us from protecting people in danger, nor can we allow anger to be the reason we fight."

Valery then paused for a moment to let all the information sink in.
"Do you have any questions about this line of the Code?"
"If not, tell me what you think about the next one: There is no ignorance, there is Knowledge."
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Oh.

Her frown lessened. Even turned to a smile. It wasn't about blocking out emotions. It was about knowing the difference between acting on them and acting for peace. It was.. Comforting. More than Valery Noble Valery Noble would likely ever understand. The colors Iris saw were as much a part of her as the emotions that changed their hue. Without them, who would she be?

She shook her head. No questions, not yet. But the next.. Iris frowned.

"Um.. The importance of learning?" That was the face value at least. Learn, or something along those lines. Like this lesson. "But.. There's so much in the galaxy. How can I learn everything?"

bWMGgIz.png
Valery smiled at the initial answer Iris provided and then chuckled at the question.
"It's not about learning everything, but about always learning what you must in order to better serve as a Jedi. The true path of a Jedi is that of an eternal student." Valery said before taking a sip from her tea.
"The line also ties nicely into the first. Because when we have that peaceful state of mind, and we don't allow our emotions to be the main driving force, we can begin to absorb information with a clear mind and use what we've learned to make decisions and take action."
"If we were to always act on emotions, instincts and well, ignorance... we'd allow assumptions to guide our decisions and actions, rather than facts from learning and observing. For this reason, it's important that you always try to better yourself. Learn new things about the Galaxy, the Force and familiarise yourself with important facts and details to complete your mission."
"Draw from experience but always remain open-minded, and willing to learn something new."
Again, Valery paused for a good moment to let her words sink in, and give Iris time to come up with questions if she were to have any. A good understanding of the Code was incredibly important, after all.
"Do you have any questions?"
"If not, tell me what you think about the third line: There is no Passion, there is Serenity."
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Oh. Oh! The frown she had all but disappeared as Valery Noble Valery Noble explained more on line. Learn, always be willing to learn. And don't act on assumptions. On ignorance. Iris nodded quickly, her bright smile back as she sipped her tea. That was so much better than what she'd assumed. Heh. Irony. The girl actually giggled at the thought. Assumed wrong about a saying about not assuming.

But, then to the third line. She hummed, holding her warm cup close to her chest. "I.. No. I'm not sure." Nothing came to mind. She turned her gaze towards the master, waiting patiently for an explanation.

bWMGgIz.png
"That's quite alright," Valery said with a small dip of her head. She was already quite satisfied with the answers Iris had given her, and the girl seemed to catch on to what was being explained rather well too.
"This line is quite closely related to the first as well, as it covers passions. A passion is a really strong, compelling emotion that can hardly be resisted. I tend to give two examples that are opposites: Love and Hatred." Valery explained, and she chose them for a reason.
"Part of our journey of Self-discipline is to overcome our own stubbornness, arrogance, and many other things that hold us back from the path we've chosen: to be students of the Force who serve as peacekeepers and protectors. This is where passions can become a problem; they are hard to resist and thus have the ability to derail us from our path as a Jedi."
"If we allow anger to grow into extreme hatred, we'll be blinded by it - it's going to control us and we run the risk of doing terrible things. On the opposite side, we have passions related to positive emotions. Love is the strongest example and while I don't believe in giving up on it, you must be careful." she warned her young student, who likely was too young to fully grasp love in the romantic sense, but she wanted her to remember.
"Love has the ability to make us selfish, rather than selfless. In extreme situations, it can make us pursue our desire to be with someone special or to save them, even if it results in us abandoning something important. For example, it can make us choose the life of our loved ones over other people's lives."
"So in my opinion, these more positive passions can be allowed as long as you remain in control of yourself, and you remain true to this path you've chosen. If you do it right, something like love can become a strength while hatred and other destructive passions are conquered."
"This is when you have the serenity to accept the things you cannot or should not change, the strength to change the things you can and must, and the wisdom to understand the difference."
Valery paused again, but this time a bit longer. Of all the lines of this Code, she lingered the longest at this third line, as it's often the breaking point of Jedi. Even Valery herself has struggled a great deal with this particular line.
"Do you have any questions?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Love. Hate. She'd never truly experienced either. The concept was foreign, too foreign for the young Jedi to understand. Yet.. There was something in the way Valery Noble Valery Noble spoke about it that left Iris understanding it regardless. These emotions, the idea of passion. It was dangerous. But at this point in her life, where she had yet to experience any of it, Iris just shook her head and took another soft sip of her tea.

"No questions."

bWMGgIz.png
Valery remained quiet for a moment as she studied Iris' expression and general body language. She didn't have any questions, which could be both a good or a bad thing. In this case, she felt that the girl understood what was being said, but she definitely lacked the experience to fully grasp it the way the more seasoned Jedi did.
"Very well, the next line is: There is no Chaos, there is Harmony," Valery said.
"To understand this line, you must first understand chaos. It's the absence of any organization or order, a state in which there is utter confusion and disorder."
She paused a moment to make sure Iris understood before continuing.
"I personally look at this line from two perspectives - the individual and the Galaxy as a whole. In order to conquer Chaos on an individual level, we look at the former lines of the Code and apply those to our lives. That way, through our Self-discipline, we follow structured rules to remain in control of ourselves and to carry out our duties as Jedi. No confusion, no disorder."
"On a Galactic scale, you can view the Jedi as a whole as the body combating the chaos produced by the Dark Side and whatever else seeks to disturb the natural state of living. We protect the peace, we honor life and we defend those things against forces who try to throw that balance into chaos."
"If we are successful on a personal level, we find harmony in our decisions and actions. On a Galactic scale, we would be able to bring together all these separate pieces - planets, cultures, species - and allow them to live together in Harmony. That's ultimately our goal as a Jedi."
Once again, she paused and allowed her Padawan some time to come up with questions, or simply a moment to reflect on what was being explained.
"If you have any questions, let me know. If not, give me your thoughts on the final line of the code."
"There is no death, there is the Force
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

There were.. A lot of words being said. At least where they were, alone like this, Iris was able to focus instead of getting distracted by the colors around her. But.. This was also the longest lasting discussion she'd ever had in her life. She sipped at her tea slowly, yet the tell tale signs that her attention was drifting was getting impossible to miss. Chaos. Absence of order. Harmony. It made sense. She was to help people feel at peace.

To keep their colors shining bright? That's the thought that crossed her mind, but with that came distraction. She drifted, her gaze pulling to the land around them.

This world really was pretty. Even with the greys that lingered from the Sith's corruption. She smiled softly, though it was hidden behind the cup a mere inch from her lips. Then she blinked. Oh. Right. Embarrassment took over as she glanced back towards Valery Noble Valery Noble , giving a sheepish shrug of her shoulders. "I.. I think I understand. Mostly."

bWMGgIz.png
The Jedi Code could be quite a lot to take in all at once, especially as a first introduction to Jedi Philosophy. So when Valery noticed that Iris was beginning to struggle with focusing on the lesson, she couldn't really blame her, but they also had very little left to go. So with a soft smile, she continued, "Very well, there is only one more line left to cover. This one can be quite tricky to grasp, so I'll do my best to explain it and we can leave it there.
"The final line of the Code is: There is no death, there is the Force."
"This line serves as a reminder to the Jedi that there is more to this existence than life, but that the Force is the reason that we exist. We follow its will and its will guides us in return. This will of the Force is something we can decipher as long as we remain true to our path, and follow the Code as a whole."
"For those who have found peace, serenity, and harmony - upon leaving their mortal coil, they return to the Living Force from which they serve in this existence, simply living on a different plane of existence."
She then paused and took a sip from her tea, expecting this line to probably be strange to the young Padawan. To think about death and what it means to a Jedi was not the most everyday thing, after all.
"Do you have any questions about the Code? If so, ask away. If not, I suggest we leave it here in terms of Philosophy for the day."
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Death. That wasn't a subject the young Padawan knew how to process. Where the last had her unable to relate, this one was just.. So far removed from what she'd experienced. She never knew anyone who died. The only people she'd seen ever die were the slavers Valery Noble Valery Noble had killed to save her. No, she did know someone who died then. Her brow furrowed as she fell in a deep reflection over it. Valery needed to kill them to keep Iris and the children safe.

".. I'm not sure I understand that one. It's.. Hard to understand. Are we supposed to follow the will of the Force?"

bWMGgIz.png
She noticed that Iris struggled more with this particular line of the Code, which was to be expected. For young Jedi to think about death was always quite challenging, since most lacked any experience with it. Her question, however, was something slightly different but piqued Valery's interest.
"As Jedi, we follow the Light Side of the Force - its values are captured in the Jedi Code and some other philosophies. It means we honor life in the Galaxy, peace and we strive for people to be free and in harmony with each other. The will of the Force is something that ties into this - it's like a guide that shows us the way to achieve our goals."
"But it's not something that controls every part of your life. It gives direction, sometimes in the form of visions, but they are typically vague and require the individual to interpret them. Any Force-sensitive can receive visions or feel the Force drawing them somewhere, but it's how we interpret and choose to act on the guidance we receive that makes us Jedi."
"In the Code, I mentioned how Jedi should have the serenity to accept the things they cannot or should not change, the strength to change the things they can and must, and the wisdom to understand the difference."
"All of that relied on following the Code, on being a Jedi, and this is where it applies. The Force may show you something you must act on, but it can also show you something related to deep, personal desires. It's up to you to learn to interpret the Force's guidance - its will - and decide whether you should act or not, and how."
"It takes experience, and mistakes will be made. But it's all part of the journey."
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

That.. Just made Iris look more confused. She rubbed at her chin, leaning back where she was sitting to try and figure out what exactly everything Valery Noble Valery Noble had just said meant to her. Meant in general. The only thing she could really understand was the last part of what was said. She'd make errors. Mistakes. Iris would have to learn from those very mistakes at some point. At least that was comforting.

"I'll try my best." That was all she could promise. Iris slowly finished her tea before turning her gaze out towards the view again. At least she wouldn't forget the code this time, and most of it made sense. She just needed to learn more, experience more.

bWMGgIz.png
"That's what matters most, and what I look for in my students," Valery said with a smile.
She had trained Padawans before and has been involved in the training of many other students. Mistakes were a natural part of the learning process, and she never demanded a student to fully grasp a subject the first time it was introduced. All she cared about was the effort to learn, and that an honest attempt was made at improvement.
"For now though, I believe we covered enough Jedi Philosophy," Valery said before rising from her seat. She offered her Padawan a smile and stretched her legs a bit.
"If you'd like to stay so you can study more, feel free to do so. But you can take some time off as well. If you need me, I'll be in the training area."
F7r9prE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom