Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Past Will Find You

Working like he was to unite the Jedi incurred a lot of travel time. And Coren didn’t mind it. There wasn’t any active war front current going on, aside from diving in to help protect the Praxeum, pull some Jedi student out of the fire they find themselves in, or harass [member="Darth Carnifex"] and his lackeys wherever he found the opportunity, and that found Coren with time to wander. The Alliance in Exile was not broadcasting their own Jedi, and as a result the Star Temple was moving between a few points on the map, leaving enough time to resupply, pick up new Jedi, or Force sensitives who were still seeking out the so-called New Jedi Order over some of the sister organizations, or to set up a rescue mission, and the Praxeum was not always a place for the warrior.

But he did have other groups to connect with. The Outer Rim had their judges and the Jedi Embassy in their reach, but the Order of the Silver Jedi were perhaps, the most prevalent grouping of Jedi out there. And without any major galactic power standing behind their own Jedi, they were just as important, if not more so, than the other groups.

Until Coren founded the Jedi Kingdoms and reinstituted a system of Lords and Ladies who defended their own regions of space and came together to keep the Light alive.

For now, though, he was going to make do with doing what he could to keep the Jedi together, and working in a similar direction. Landing his YT-2000, the Tachyon Rising at the Silver Rest, the Corellian pet his sand cat before departing from the vessel. Jeans, boots, shirt, jacket, and a cloak over it all, the man was looking more like a hermit spacer than an actual Jedi, and it was more so he wasn’t getting her attention the whole time.

He wanted to make sure he could get through Kashyyyk, visit with Dragonsflame and the Jedi Council here, fill her office with post-it notes and use an adhesive to stick her datapad to her desk, and be gone before Celeste even knew what was going on.

That was his hope, at least.

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Celeste walked the halls of Silver Rest, en route to her office. Her afternoon appointments had been taken over by fellow Healer, Ilana Marsh. The young Knight was ever so enthusiastic and willing, she'd scooped up the remaining patients, determined to see them all. It was nice, she supposed. But, she did worry very much about the young woman burning out.

Nevertheless, she returned to her office. After all, work was never really done around here.

As she stepped in, her dark eyes swept the area just behind the door. No, nothing... good. Her senses were alert, much like a woman being stalked down a dark alley. A series of uncanny events had left the healer somewhat paranoid about her office. It was something she did not discuss with her colleagues. But, they had occasionally passed by to hear a startled gasp, a growl of annoyance, and a couple of times... screams.

She moved to her desk, warily. Her fingers gently lifted her seat cushion and felt beneath it, no sign of any joke toys that made rather rude noises. Just as she was about to take her seat, she noticed movement out of the corner of her eye – out her window, in fact. Celeste's head canted to the side.

“It couldn't be...”

Her jaw dropped. And, just like that, everything suddenly made sense. The sinking realization led her immediately outside, before she could even think. Waiting at the entrance, toe tapping impatiently, hand upon hip... she knew it all added up now, and It all added up to one man:

“Starchaser.” She said sternly.

[member="Coren Starchaser"]

Sullust, where Coren had called home for many years, and even Eira P, where the Praxeum was, were both distinct worlds, different than Kashyyyk in both demeanor and atmosphere. It was much more similar to Voss, those years ago when the Levantine Sanctum rolled themselves in with the Silver Jedi, a move that Coren wouldn’t ever say was a bad thing. The Order of the Silver Jedi had their moments in the past, but they persevered. They knew what they were doing, what they were capable of. That was one of the main concerns with the Jedi in the past, but lately they were alleviated.

Plus they had some good people at the helm, from Dragonsflame to Rigel, as much as he wasn’t going to admit it to her, she was on that list. With the Praxeum sort of under his guidance and protection, he understood how valuable it was. But it wasn’t until now that he realized it.

What he was hoping to do was to get towards her office on his way off Kashyyyk. But he could tell that something was up. The Force was giving him that little tinge that caused him to stop for a second and look around. Well, stop in the sense of slow down. Starchaser was too much of a fighter to actually stop. Element of surprise was gone, he felt.

But he still made his way off the landing platform, with luck he could miss her, and that awkward conversation that would follow.

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Celeste stood in rigid anticipation for a few moments, completely ready to holler at an old friend. But, this stern posture soon relaxed, until her shoulders sank slightly. Utter foolishness, she chided herself silently. What would she even say? “Was it you that put the fake Eskrat in my desk drawer?” Of course, she had no proof that it was him – only the smallest hunch. Accusations up front were a good way to ensure that she looked like a right nutter, she decided that she'd best avoid that.

Waiting there by the entrance to Silver Rest, her eyes flickered towards the landing pad.

It was him, she was fairly certain. But, obviously he had not come here to catch up and reminisce about old times. After all, there hadn't been so much as a holo-message or call. Just as she was about to turn and disappear back inside the temple, she spotted a rather scruffy figure coming down off the landing pad. It was too late to run, he'd have seen her by now.

And just like that, her mind went back to Voss. She was the bookish girl with a penchant for worry, and he was the brash young man that everyone thought was absolutely wizard.

She waved, but she was unsure that he saw – and brought her hand down to tuck some hair behind her ear. Maybe he'd walk right past her, maybe... he'd forgotten about her altogether.

He couldn't really help it. With no war going on and the Jedi being peaceful and united as best as that organization could be, he had a lot of time on his hands. The Coalition was working with the Alliance to head towards Sullust, but they had to wait for the time to be right.

So it came to the point that he would be tooling on his colleagues and friends. Sure, Celeste and he hadn't spoken all that much recently, but he was a soldier, an intense Jedi who did what he thought was right. She was a teacher and a healer. And regardless of what he thought of her, too serious for her own good.

Besides, he let the live eskrat in her office. Fake in a drawer would be smart.

Still, he'd get to her after.

Or now.

Now was good.

Her wave did send him back a bit. A younger, upstarter of Coren working as an explorer in the Sanctum. "They let you away from the classroom? That puts a wrench into my plans!"

A side long grin on his face as he assessed her. Yep. Still Celeste.

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Celeste's head canted to the side, “What sort of plans?”

The corner of her smile twitched. Something inside said she outht to be worried. But, she moved in for a quick hug nonetheless – a very quick hug. It was the kind of embrace given to drunk uncles, it was more of a close pat on the shoulder, really. Not wanting to linger too close for too long, Celeste stood back a bit to look at him.

He hadn't changed all that much. Sure, he was older – wiser, she hoped – but he still had that playful spark in his eyes. Of course, Celeste kept up with the Galactic news, and she'd not been able to ignore all of the times she'd seen Coren Starchaser's name crop up. She had known him to be a prominent figure in the once powerful Galactic Alliance, she'd followed his career with them -- all the way until the end. There were many things she could have said, "it's nice to see you after so long," or "why haven't you ever called me?" But, she decided to greet him in stride.

The healer arched her brows at his choice of cloak. “What are you wearing? You look like a hobo.” She gave the edge of the cloak a small tug. “But, it's nice to see that you're still in one piece.” Celeste smiled.

The Jedi couldn't help but grin at the bookish educator before him. Really, he did have respect for Celeste, maybe even more than respect... admiration? Not that strong of a word, no. But still, he wasn't going to straight up lie to her. Just half truths. "Oh, you know, a bit of mischief while I'm on Kashyyyk." A Corellian grin crossing his features again. Something that was calm and easy for the man. When she stepped in for the hug, it did disarm him a little, and his hand found her hip for the brief moment.

Old friends, old colleagues. He always had a war to chase after, and she had always been helping those who came back with him, victory or otherwise.

The man was a Jedi Sentinel, he fought the darkness where it stood, where it arose. And with his lineage, he knew the fight was always going to be there. It was what brought him and his family into the galaxy, from the Rim during the time of the Lords. And following the Starchasers of old, Coren was the patriot, the carrier of the banner, and the leader. Loss of his Alliance had hurt, but he was looking at the galaxy differently now.

"A cloak, isn't that what all the Jedi are into nowadays?" A smirk on his face when she tugged at it. "I can't look all spacer all the time, no one will take me serious here." Not that people did anyway, but...
"Galaxy has slowed down a little, now its a matter of keeping what we do have together. You been busy here?"

[member="Celeste Rigel"][member="Celeste Rigel"]

The Jedi couldn't help but grin at the bookish educator before him. Really, he did have respect for Celeste, maybe even more than respect... admiration? Not that strong of a word, no. But still, he wasn't going to straight up lie to her. Just half truths. "Oh, you know, a bit of mischief while I'm on Kashyyyk." A Corellian grin crossing his features again. Something that was calm and easy for the man. When she stepped in for the hug, it did disarm him a little, and his hand found her hip for the brief moment.

Old friends, old colleagues. He always had a war to chase after, and she had always been helping those who came back with him, victory or otherwise.

The man was a Jedi Sentinel, he fought the darkness where it stood, where it arose. And with his lineage, he knew the fight was always going to be there. It was what brought him and his family into the galaxy, from the Rim during the time of the Lords. And following the Starchasers of old, Coren was the patriot, the carrier of the banner, and the leader. Loss of his Alliance had hurt, but he was looking at the galaxy differently now.

"A cloak, isn't that what all the Jedi are into nowadays?" A smirk on his face when she tugged at it. "I can't look all spacer all the time, no one will take me serious here." Not that people did anyway, but...
"Galaxy has slowed down a little, now its a matter of keeping what we do have together. You been busy here?"

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Celeste chuckled softly and shook her head at Coren's comments about Jedi fashion. The humor, the smirk – classic Coren. A smile lingered on her lips for another moment or two, until she fell quiet and thoughtful. Had they been busy? Indeed, things at Silver Rest never quite seemed slow.

“We've enjoyed the peace,” She said, nodding. “The Order continues to expand – helping worlds, making the galaxy safer.”

She glanced down for a moment, realizing quickly that she might have come across very much like a recruitment poster. But, it was all true. The Order's push towards Hutt space had seen them dealing with pirates, marauders, and slavers. There had been an influx of former slaves, the Order was currently working to acquaint them with freedom.

“I've kept busy,” Celeste added, clearing her throat gently. “The younglings are quite a handful, and it seems there's always bumps and bruises to treat.” She smiled fondly. “I do hope you've kept your bumps and bruises to a minimum?”

She eyed him for a moment, but then realized that several other passing Silver Jedi had taken notice of the pair – talking so close to the entrance, blocking the way. Suddenly self-conscious, Celeste stepped to the side.

“Do, you...” She paused, unsure. “Would you like to go on a walk?” The words came out a touch louder than she'd anticipated. “Ah, there's a nice pond in the garden, it's quiet... so we can catch up. Unless, of course, you have meetings scheduled? I wouldn't want to keep you.”

One major thing with Coren Starchaser, he was exactly what he said he was on the label. A snarky, surefooted Corellian to his core, but also a Jedi. A paladin for the Light. It didn’t mean he couldn’t have some fun. It just meant he was on the go, and had a job to do. What he was looking for, at certain times, was that light at the end of the tunnel, for however brief, before he threw himself back into the darkness.

Sometimes he self-styled as the Sword of the Jedi, the one who would know a restless life. But he was at the front line, and casting a shadow that allowed others the peace he worked for. “Good. The Silvers have been doing a lot of work. With the fall of the New Jedi Order, I’ve been doing what I can to help rally people here, or really any Jedi group they felt fit for.” It was not a matter of what shade they were, just that they were, absolutely, Jedi. “And the galaxy is noticing the work you’ve all been doing.” A nod and a smirk.

“Been helping out with the Jedi Praxeum when I can, and shuttling Jedi out of the Core. So many were left stranded with the collapse of the Alliance. And it may seem like easy work.” He ran his mechanical hand through his hair as he looked at Celeste. “But I always tend to find bumps and bruises.” Though, that was an old wound, the loss of the arm to [member="Vrag"] during the One Sith.

A walk would be fine. Just coming in to pick up news on where I can be useful, and make sure there are bunk space available. A few more Jedi coming out of the Core. They all tend to stop at the Rest before making it wherever they’re going.” Unless they were ones for the Jedi Covenant he was working on, in secret.

“No beaches here, then?” A smile on his face as he motioned for Celeste to lead on. This was her world after all. And he wanted to enjoy the view.

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Celeste's dark eyes followed Coren's mechanical hand as it ran through is hair, indeed he was right. He was the rough and tumble sort. Honestly, she hadn't expected anything less. Thankfully, Coren's cool demeanor balanced her own awkward one, and she relaxed slightly.

Motioning towards the path, Celeste started to walk at a leisurely pace.

“Bunk space?” She asked, fixing him a curious sidelong glance. “Well, then. I shall make sure we have some beds free.” A brow arched slightly as she wondered if Coren himself planned to use such a bunk at Silver Rest, but she pushed the thought to the side. “We will happily take them in, if they come.”

The trees rustled softly in the breeze, the gardens of Silver Rest were kept fairly natural – but well maintained at the same time. Among the lush greenery, there were some ornamental plants that were in full bloom at the moment, sprinkling the garden with vibrant pops of color. This part of the temple reminded her very much of Voss.

“And,” She continued. “There are beaches here, I'll invite you to our next barbecue.” This was said with a slight smirk. Celeste glanced down for a moment, then back to the side at Coren. “I've kept up with your holo-news stories,” She blinked, and hoped that she didn't come across too much like a creepy stalker. “Erm, just to see what you've been up to, of course.”

Her own life seemed far less interesting by comparison, she was not famous, after all.

Luckily, the iBorg mechanical arm was mostly flesh toned, and non-reflective, it was songsteel and strong, but that was more for actual use. When he was making his way around, if he had long sleeves on? Hardly noticeable. Not an arm that concerned itself with too much synthskin to move reapplied after combat. That just wouldn’t do. Sure, he did get phased from time to time, but it was better to roll with it.

The fight would be there, and he could only do so much. He wasn’t a one man wrecking ball. As much as he preferred to think of himself as such.

“Yeah, the Star Temple the En Jay Oh Remnant are using only has limited supplies. We’re on a bit of an exile budget still, so I am making sure my teams know where a safehouse is. Silvers have agreed to help take some in. Most come here, the rest may their way different locations, depending on their wants.” His tone was a bit more matter of fact than anything. “At least get them on their feet, and where they need to go. Hell, I’ve been spending enough time coming and going to Kashyyyk, I may as well get one, instead of sleeping on the ship the whole time I'm here.” A laugh.

“Always knew you guys were welcoming to those who needed it. Been taking a few out to the Outer Rim as well, get them work, good for helping keep the Jedi afloat.” As much as he did have some disagreements, at times, with members of the Silver Jedi, they were, long and far, the best group out there.

Not staying behind her for too long, not to be that guy, Coren caught up and kept pace, taking in the sights, sounds, aromas, and general feel of the Garden. Too long in space and you forgot just how vibrant the Force could be. And too many times thrown into combat? It became violent and a maelstrom of feelings.
“I’ll have to clear my schedule for that one! I’m also more than happy to help chaperone any classes where you’re taking younglings out of the cradle here on Kashyyyk. Lots of worlds out there, the Force moves a bit differently on some.” Of course it did, it was different wherever you went, and sometimes it made things… messy. “You can come too, if you can keep up.” A wink.

When she mentioned the holo-news stories, that took him for a surprise. He knew that there had to have been something between the two once upon a time, but she was a healer and a teacher. He was a soldier, a wall between the peace and the war in the galaxy. “You have? I guess Jedi news networks aren’t as thrilling as I suspected?” The man laughed, looking down at their feet for a second. Was that a blush? Couldn’t be. “Been out there, swinging a saber, and shouting, mostly. Controlled chaos the whole time, but lately, a bit more downtime. And what’s it with you, the complete opposite?” He nudged her shoulder as they continued on.

Walking side by side with her old friend, Celeste couldn't help but steal a couple of glances at him. Though, she hoped he didn't notice. It was the same story when they were younger. She remembered how her heart fluttered – how it still did. But, this feeling was quickly followed by a deep sense of guilt. And it was only made greater as her hand lingered so close to Coren's as they walked.

Still, she kept a pleasant expression on her face, even if her complexion was slightly redder than before. But, she smiled at the mention of younglings. “I can keep up! Younglings are quite fast, don't you know? I may have to take you up on that offer, they are a handful.”

Celeste had brought the lot of them to the Circus recently. No one got injured, no one got lost, it was a success in her books... but she felt as though she got to see very little of the spectacle, having to keep her eyes on so many little ones.

When she felt Coren nudge her shoulder, she shot him a stern look, but she smiled after a moment. “Life here at the Rest isn't quite so, what's the word... exciting?” She shrugged. “I still take a great amount of pleasure in teaching and I spend the rest of my time in the healing halls with the other Silver Circle members. I suppose there are those that go to war,” She gave him a look. “And those that patch everyone up when they come back.”

If they came back...

A pond shimmered up ahead, and Celeste went straight for it. She knelt at the water's edge and watched the swimming fish, blurs of color beneath the surface. A soft smile remained on her lips.

“My son and I feed these fish,” She said, “He likes it so.”

But she blinked, and turned a look over her shoulder. “I...” Her mouth was suddenly very dry. “He's three years old now, Atticus is his name.”

Celeste wasn't completely sure what Coren knew of her personal life. She'd married, she'd had a child, that's what most normal couples did. And as she looked at Coren, she scolded herself for ever thinking of what could have been...

Seeing Celeste definitely sent Coren back a few years. The time when he was figuring himself out in the galaxy, and getting away from the darkness that he had known for years prior. Trained by Sith before his carbonite nap, he went to what was natural. And then what felt better. It brought him to the Levantines, and the Silver Sanctum, then to Celeste, for a time. Even the feelings of awkwardness and a… tension. His hand felt it when it brushed against hers.

He knew that she was off the market. If not for it being years, but also her married and him a soldier. A Jedi Sentinel. “Yeah, I suppose some of the children can move pretty quick.” He gave her a laugh and smiled when he noticed color in her cheeks. “Prax has more of the students who are ready to take a saber and take some work, good learners, the lot of them.”

“I’ve seen the Silvers out on the war front. Good fighters in your group. And by the sounds of it, good healers.” He smiled as he looked at her. An army couldn’t work without its support. And the Jedi who sought to defend those that couldn’t defend themselves. Sometimes things got hairy, and having the healers helped.

When they approached the pond, he gave her another look, more watching her move than anything else. She still looked good.But when she brought up her child, he almost took a physical step back. “Didn’t know you… had a kid.” He knew she was married, why shouldn’t she be?

“He training yet?” Was the father even a Forcer?

And her married with a kid? Complicated things.

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Celeste stood, but remained at the rocky edge of the pond. He was taken aback, she could see it written on his face. Her eyes darted away from his for a moment. Of course he hadn't known, it wasn't like she'd sent out a ridiculous number of birth announcements to everyone that she'd ever met.

Her lips parted slightly, an apology of some kind on the tip of her tongue. But, why should she apologize? Atticus was a joyful addition to her life, he gave her reason all the more to do good work – so that he could have a better future. After all, Coren had made it clear long ago that his work would take him around the galaxy, where the war went, he went.

“He is,” She answered, taking a few tentative steps towards Coren. “As much as a three year old can. He's eager, even if his sensitivity isn't quite as high as the others.” Celeste glanced away for a moment. “Not that it really matters.”

Celeste, a teacher at heart, was determined to prove that her son could still flourish with the proper training and encouragement. Nurturing was just her way. She wasn't set on him growing to be a Jedi, she would be just as happy if he became a Ranger, like his father.

She let the sound of the flowing water behind her take over for a moment, and the breeze in the trees. And the awkward tension, too. But, Celeste couldn't deny that she was curious. Her soft gaze found Coren's once more.

“And you? Don't you want to settle down someday?”

It was a surprise, why wouldn't it be? Sure, he had no claim or stake here, but it was still, one of those things. Celeste was unique, and a foil to him. But he hadn't really considered what it could mean until he started coming around Kashyyyk more often and playing pranks on her. He had been busy, moving to the front and back.

The proper Sword.

"Raw power and affinity can only get him so far. Dedication, hard work, and determination. So much more valuable." He smiled, remembering how long it took him to discover his specific gifts and how to access them.

Meeting her eyes with his ice blue gaze, he nodded. "I can't keep fighting forever. But I can't sit by when I know I have the talent and means to defend." He took a breath. "And finding the right partner shouldn't be done on a battlefield."

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Eyes locked, Celeste listened as Coren gave her an answer. His words almost made her wince. What did he mean by that? The healer couldn't help but feel that his statement was somehow directed at her. Lashes fluttered as she broke his gaze, her brown eyes turning faraway, distant.

Back on Voss, back during their younger years – she really had liked Coren quite a lot.

But now, things were different. Time and war had separated them. If he was trying to say what she thought he was, he was years too late. Though his words were revealing, he hadn't exactly said he'd come here for her – he'd known about her marriage, at least. Inside, she felt like a storm.

Finally speaking, she merely said, “I hope you find what you're looking for, then.” Her voice soft, but somehow chilly. In truth, the idea of Coren with anyone else made her frustrated... but she, too... was far too late for thoughts like that.

Instead of letting the moment drag on and on, she turned to continue their walk. Glancing over her shoulder, she paused to make sure he would still follow.

“There are some ancient Wroshyr trees up ahead,” She said, “You might like to see them.”

For now, the rest would go unsaid – at least on her part.

Brown eyes.

One of the things he always remembered of her. Coren did tend to remember eyes, because it was hard to lie with your eyes. At least for humans. Not to mention Coren was the type to keep eye contact in most situations. Especially flirting.

Years ago.

War did give him a shell, a shield of sorts, but the people who knew him prior? That was one of the keys to open him, not that he would admit it. But have him go from speaking to Celeste, to, say, any other healer? There would be a tonal shift.

"If she comes around, she does. If not, I've got enough to keep me bust even if I'm not running into a war zone." He let her lead on.

It was these softer minutes that reminded him of why he fought. Natural, beautiful surroundings, and company worth the threat to his own well-being.

He would need to remind the Jedi who went to the various fronts about that.

"The parts of Kashyyyk that escaped the wars? Let's see them!" He would catch up briskly.

[member="Celeste Rigel"]

Celeste let the air between them grow quiet again as they began to walk. The tension was still there, strung up between them, but the healer let the calm of nature take over. Though, she had a feeling that even after the Jedi Sentinel left Kashyyyk – she'd have much to think about, much to dwell upon.

“Mm,” She gave Coren a nod as he caught up, and she turned her gaze forward.

The path wound out before them, ushering the pair through the flora. Still, between idle conversation and quiet, Celeste would find herself glancing to the side quite often. Really, this was the last way she had imagined spending her afternoon. But, as bitter sweet as it was, she couldn't deny that it was nice to see her old friend. Memories could only offer so much, and there was no telling what the future would bring. Celeste knew well, the present was the time to cherish, truly. So, she made a silent vow to keep moving forward. Time would keep moving, things would continue to change...

But, despite the years... perhaps there were some things that would remain unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom