Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Past is the Past (Siobhan)

@[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

Phylis looked a little hurt at the vehemence in Siobhan’s tone, like a puppy who’d been kicked.
“Politics is something I don’t like. I think they all had their reasons, some good, some bad. I just think people should have some say in how things go, is all,” she said softly.

It was clear that she wasn’t really the argumentative sort, except over otherwise unimportant details like whether 8th or 9th century architecture was more innovative. Arguments like that would be settled by any means necessary. Arguments about galactic politics was…messy.

“Well, we can continue to the vestibule if you want,” she said a bit timidly.

@[member="Phylis Alince"]

To her credit Siobhan felt a bit guilty when she saw Phylis' reaction. Whatever issues Siobhan did have with the Republic and the Jedi - and whether those were justified was another question entirely, but then she was self-righteous - it was unfair to blame it on Phylis.

After all, Phylis had been there at Roche - where incidentally Siobhan had almost gotten her killed. She sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it...well, I did mean what I said but I shouldn't lash out at you. Believe it or not, you're one of the two Jedi I actually like," she admitted. And, no, the other Jedi was not the Asian looking one she had 'negotiated' with on Corellia and who was apparently committing war crimes on Manaan.

"Vestibule, ok. Need more photos?"

Cheering up a bit, Phylis nodded. “Yes, some more pictures while I look at the arches. You know, beyond that point there it was forbidden for a male to go. Punishment for being caught was…severe.” She flushed slightly. The Eldorai were always very inventive in such ways.

“You know, Siobhan, I might have something that you might like. You and your wife are based here now on Kaeshana and probably looking for new business opportunities. I’ve heard reports of a lost treasure hoard said to be from the Time of Troubles. It’s likely only a myth, but supposedly the Valeska family deposited the Eldorai treasury in a secret lair to hide it from their enemies, but the location was lost after the war.”

"Oh, I know. Adril was descriptive," Siobhan commented. Moira and Kaelin could probably learn a thing or two from the Eldorai when it came to punishment.

She gave Phylis a look as she spoke about lost treasures, raising an amused eyebrow. "Master Alince, I hope you're not supporting capitalist exploiters getting their hands on lost historical treasures?" she asked sardonically, but then a smile crossed her lips and she seemed to visibly brighten.

"Thanks, I'll be sure to pass the word on and check it out. If it's true it would be a boon," at that she paused for a moment. "I'm outta all the galaxy-shaking events but if you need help for something feel free to make a call. I'll...try to tear a roof down above your head again." Of course, it was best not to make promises one could not keep!

She gazed across the chamber, taking a few more pics. "So what was the deal with the Time of Troubles thing? Royals killing each other over the throne again?"

Phylis seemed happy to be able to slip into lecture mode. “Partly. The Eldorai Matriarchy is unusual in that it’s not actually a straight monarchy. A lot of say is given to the former ruler about her successor, and what this means is that elder daughters can and are passed over in favour of even remote descendants like nieces or cousins, even members not of the family.”
“What you had here though was a capricious, arrogant girl named Anais the Proud who managed to annoy everyone in twelve years. She was then overthrown by the Exarch of the Guard. Yes, Exarch is an Eldorai term, I’m sure your Princess friend was happy to suggest it. Once legitimacy was gone though, all bets were off, and there was eighty years of civil war, invasion, clashes with other races, and it all ended with Vaenia the Restorer bringing an end to the conflict for good, and her dynasty would last 661 years.”

Phylis seemed to shake herself from this academic daze. “And I’ll thank you never to keep that promise, you capitalist exploiter,” she added fondly.

Perhaps it had not been the smartest idea to tempt Phylis to launch into lecturer mode, as there was seemingly no stopping the flow of words shooting out of her mouth much like a repeating blaster. An old analogy perhaps since she was perhaps one of the few Jedi masters these days who had not turned into a violent jihadist purging unbelievers!

Still once she got over the verbal assault Siobhan...actually found herself being...interested and listening, as difficult as it was to follow Phylis sometimes. "I see. It's why Nalia wanted Anya out of the way and presented her as a traitor to the Queen," she commented at the start. "Queen never got around to name an heir before she died." Which in turn had precipitated the Protectorate intervention and Silaqui ascending the throne - or rather being put on it after the game of thrones had been bloodily resolved.

"What a fun, games of thrones like period. Well, opposite of fun for all the elves thrown into the meat grinder," she said sarcastically. "History and people don't change much over the ages, do they?" she asked rhetorically. Perhaps this was the moment for philosophical musings about the cycle of empires and how each generation is doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past, but this is not a philosophy class.

"I'l try not to," she smiled thinly. "I am sorry about the...dropping a roof on your head and almost killing you thing, you know. I appreciate what you did for us," she said a bit awkwardly. It was the truth...but equally if faced with the same situation Siobhan would have done it again.

Phylis smiled ruefully. “People never change, Siobhan, they just change clothes and weapons and means of transport. I accept your apology. You did what needed to be done…what I could never do. The galaxy always needs some of your type to go with some of my type.”

“Come on, down here is the dark and deep catacombs where doubtless ancient horrors reside. Or would if you believed any of that guff on the holovids. As it is it’s just a basement, but ah well.”

You're making way too much sense for me, Siobhan thought to herself. Yes, it was most terrible that the Jedi Master was using common sense and thus getting in the way of Siobhan beating herself up about things and hating herself!

Nonetheless she smiled, genuinely so. She did feel...better.

"You mean Games of Thones lied to me? You just had to step on all my childhood archeologist fantasies," she spoke with mock outrage. "Alright, let's go an not encounter eldritch abominations, unspeakable horrors and ancient traps! But will there be a lava pit at least?" she asked innocently, sounding very much like a little child who had just been told that Santa Claus was not the one who delivered the presents!

Down towards the basement they went...perhaps there were drums in the deep.

“Lava pit? Hmmph, we’re on loam here. There’s no volcano within a hundred miles! I think you’re desperately confused between truth and fiction.” Whilst it would be amusing for suddenly a lava monster to appear, this writer will probably abstain for once. Unlike Manaan there will be no last minute abomination…probably.

And so the catacombs were just dark and rundown, but lacked any undead, traps or mystical artefacts.

Siobhan made a face and looked like a sulky child. "Phylis, why do you have to be so logical? This is a universe where people can fly with their mind, there's faster than light travel and energy blades. And you're arguing that a lava pit is illogical."

As surprising as this no doubt was...Siobhan was actually...making sense. Sort of at least. (Un)fortunately for once the universe had decided to be logically consistent and so the catacombs were...catacombs. Dark, with Siobhan's bionic eye glowing eeriely, with carvings on the wall, and fairly rundown.

“It’s perfectly logical once you factor in the different aspects and assumptions made in this reality. Reality is only defined by what we can see and observe, so I am sure there may be a galaxy where one cannot call on the Force, but here we can. And geology doesn’t change, sedimentary and igneous rocks have never watched Game of Stars and don’t know anything about dramatic aspects.”

Phylis continued to poke around, occasionally calling on the Force to shift stones aside so they could push on.

“So…hmm…what does Firemane do? It all seemed rather vague.”

Does she ever have to take a breath? Siobhan wondered concerning the flow of words erupting from Phylis. "You should watch Game of Stars. Poke fun at the 'historical inaccuracies'." And no doubt get flustered at all the sex - since oftentimes they seemed to take up half of an episode's time!

"Firemane's still developing, but we manufacture tech and weapons, most of what was the Pyre's ground tech actually, and have moved into the mining business. Gold, gems and so on - recently began deep sea mining on Kaeshana. Got a deal with Silaqui to help modernise her army. Can't rely on the Protectorate to do it anymore," she responded.

Phylis snorted derisively. “I tried to watch an episode. The uniforms were all wrong, the ships were anachronistic, the structure portrayed was one from the New rather than old Republic. It all annoyed me!” Phylis grumped. She clearly shared this writer’s disapproval of shows which did not check their sources!

“So, you’re propping them up, huh? The Eldorai are a proud…usually excessively so…people. I’m guessing some of them aren’t happy that they’re dealing with you.”

In response Siobhan broke out into laughter. She could not help herself, Phylis' grumping was just positively hilarious. "Come on, that's just details. There was that one episode where Republic troopers wore...well, can't call 'em anything other than clown suits? Did they ever really do that? Cause I can really understand someone going Sith then," she commented once she had gotten control of herself.

She turned more serious then. "Yeah, been a couple attacks by Dashdae Eldorai - Dark Eldorai. Still a small insurgency right now, they tried to kill us when a few weeks ago. Didn't get the chance to regret it. Personally I think aristos from Nalia's old camp are backing them. They want the monkeighs off the planet and think Silaqui's a sell-out. Besides, I killed Nalia, plenty of reasons for hatred," she shrugged at that. "But it's been under control so far."

“I believe what you call ‘clown suits’ was worn by the Republic during the Jedi Civil War, which is even more of an anachronism. Details are what makes a show understandable and watchable. You might be happy to watch a show full of errors because you’re so focussed on the gratuitous violence and nudity, but I am not.” Phylis folded her arms, looking petulantly at Siobhan. Finally she relented and laughed.

“Well, I guess I’m just a grumpy historian at heart….”

"I pay attention to plenty of details. If the gratuitous violence and nudity wasn't detailed, it would be PG-13. Well, mostly the nudity, Coruscanti censors think violence doesn't harm little kiddies," Siobhan declared with a grin. She was not at all looking at the fourth wall when she uttered these words.

"Next thing you'll be saying that Padme wasn't doing it with her handmaidens and kept herself 'pure' for that brat Anakin," In response to Phylis looking all petulant Siobhan just laughed and gave her a light slap on the shoulder. "You're not that grumpy, Phyl," she emphasised the last word deliberately, quite certain it would annoy the librarian.

Phylis’ eyes narrowed at that infamous nickname. She did not approve. And as for the innuendo.
“It may surprise you, but not everyone in the galaxy is obsessed with sex, and not every woman is interested in women anyway, or else we would have all died out a long time ago!” she said scathingly.

Seemingly deciding to ignore Siobhan until she stopped being so smutty, Phylis ferociously set to work investigating a wall.

"Could just keep men around and use them as sperm banks," Siobhan said as if that were the most obvious thing in the world. It was the only thing those malelings were good for! Perhaps one of the reasons for why Siobhan got on so well with the Eldorai, despite her lack of tact or diplomatic ability, was that she shared their sexism. Adril Tythorin would be so proud!

Not so easily ignored Siobhan joined Phylis at the no doubt fascinating wall where the great digger was ferociously investigating. "So...what are we looking at, oh grumpy and knowledgeable historian"

Phylis gave her best withering look. “Discrimination in any form is morally wrong,” she said stiffly. “However, considering that you live with the Eldorai now, you probably deserve each other.”

“We are looking at a wall, Siobhan, made of stone. Nothing too unusual about it. It has these square blocks fitted together to make it. You might have seen one before.”

Phylis’ snark was temporarily derailed when her questing fingers found a slight depression and touched it. With a grinding sound a section of wall slid aside, revealing a steep and narrow set of stairs.

“Ah…that was unexpected.”

Siobhan looked amused at the lecture. Treating malelings as second class beings was not discrimination, it was the natural order of things and putting them back in their place would be for their own good! "I wouldn't know. I tear walls down a lot though," she quippped in response to Phylis just before a portion of the wall gave way and revealed a set of stairs.

"Walls that suddenly open to reveal mysterious, hidden passageways? Check. First cliche of any exploration of ancient ruins. Still think there won't be a lava pit or malevolent spirits? But I bow to your superior insight, oh great digger " Siobhan could not resist snarking back. "You wanna go first or shall I?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom