Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Moonlit Veil; A Chorus of Shadows

This day, the day of the ritual that meant to cleanse the Goddess had only left a wretched stain of sin upon her skin that scrubbing red and tender would not do to deterge. Odemyrii had fretted, fearing that the sacred embodiment of Xona would not accept her through its divine threshold. Under the fading light of dusk, it was the tree that she flocked to - a breathing wall that was her solace and escape. Where at the holy tree, the Goddess was to be left undisturbed, lest her connection to the ethereal be severed. Such relief she was met when it extended into her spirit with all of its glory, connecting her across the vast lands, skies and seas.

The grasp of its roots only held on as long as it willed, enough to show her things, glimpses of the past, the future and other sentient creatures and spirits. For a while there was peace. This time it let her stay, keeping her from departing back to the form that was no longer pure. The sounds of dried leaves crunching snatched her back to reality. Eyes opening into the darkness of night, lit by the faint candescent of Lomeyki hanging from the branches above - how long had she been under? A sharp gasp left her lips when she saw the man who approached. The Archbishop.

"It is foolish for a Goddess to be out here in the cold of night." There was a tremble of her lips, Odemyrii found herself at a loss for words, now cornered, back pressed against the cold trunk of the massive tree. Her eyes dart around frantically for a guard, a handmaiden, anyone. "Do not fret, my dear. I've dismissed the guards. The last cleansing under the moon at its fullest is not to be blight by the gaze of the unworthy." Odemyrii knew she should have run, but he was no human but a creature that fed on blood for sustenance, his strength she'd witnessed.

Andrew Gaul Andrew Gaul

dNi8dTx.png
A sense of urgency propelled Yasha over to the Holy Tree, across the gardens he frequented, not so far away. The absence of guards at the threshold aroused his suspicion, and the sixteen-year old hastened up the steps in search of Odemyrii.

Something was off.

"Reverend Asmus." His eyes narrowed at the Archbishop. "Goddess, is he disturbing you?"

"Yasha," Asmus smiled politely. "If you would, please, leave us. The cleansing ceremony is not yet complete."

Yasha's gaze hardened in scrutiny. "Then perhaps you should have managed your time better," he bit back, surprised by his own boldness. "Or are you getting too old for this, Asmus?"

"Mind your tongue, child!" The Archbishop glared, a ripple of shock at the eunuch's defiance.

Last edited:

Hearing the sound of his voice was utter relief. There were consequences for the low ranking to even speak with one as high-ranking as the Archbishop. But Yasha wasn't just a eunuch, she was her chosen and if anything, for him to come just at the right moment, only preluded that he was indeed worthy.

There was only fear in her glossy eyes as she met his gaze. A wordless desperate plea for help to be removed from the situation."I want to leave." Her voice trembled. She couldn't look at the bishop, so close that she could almost hear his disgusting hiss of breaths.

"Walk me back Yasha."

But as she moved to step away the man grabbed her wrist tight, causing her to visibly flinch. "The cleansing ceremony is not complete." He growled. It took all of her courage to look him in the eyes, both anger, fear and disgust simmering. The fangs just protruding slightly from the shadow of his mouth stirred fear. "Let me go." She commanded. And as soon as his grasp loosened, she scurried frantically to the eunuch. The Goddess was visibly shaking, and it certainly wasn't the cold.​

dNi8dTx.png
More than a year of being in each other's company since the day of his anointing, the bond between goddess and her Chosen had grown strong. It was that instinct that drew him to her side when she needed him, his mind becoming closer and closer as one with the Divine. Yasha could only imagine how powerful their connection would be, after she ascended.

A day he thought they were both eagerly looking forward to... until tonight. Glancing warily over his shoulder at the Archbishop, Yasha led the way down the threshold of the Holy Tree, Odemyrii's silence gnawing at him that something was amiss. Her countenance had changed, so different from the Odee he knew that morning. She clung to him with fear, her smile gone, no longer walking tall with confidence and pride, the divine authority she normally exuded, last Yasha saw her before she left for the cleansing ceremony earlier that day.

Before they could reach the palace, he abruptly took Odemyrii to the side, into the shadows, and circled his way back to the gardens. If anything was left unspoken between the two, it was that they wouldn't let the Archbishop catch up to where Odee might be found.
g5Vnp6e.jpg
He knew the garden labyrinth like the back of his hand. A few secret shortcuts through the trees and across some streams that might make the night escapade fun and perk her up. Over to his favorite pond where they could sit at the pagoda.
oIrx2oB.jpg
The only eavesdroppers being the ripple of shiki fish and the hum of insects. The occasional breeze rustling through the treetops, to drown out what may of the whispers, between the two.

"So.. What happened? You and the Archbishop?" Concern creased his face as he searched hers. "You...didn't finish the ceremony?"

Last edited:

While she felt at ease with Yasha, her arm around his, never questioning when he led her to their pond - a place private and peaceful. He knew her and she was incredibly distraught. He finally asked to which the Odemyrii, now with her most trusted, her chosen, finally felt at ease enough to break down. "There was no cleansing, Yasha!" She hadn't understood either, confused now angry. Now upset not with Yasha but with his question.

"A Goddess is supposed to be pure - I am anything but pure." Breaths heaving and tears streaming. Her body shaking, the memories still fresh but she wanted nothing but to forget the wicked things he did. "Asmus hurt me. He is - he is not like us… he is a monster. " She mumbled.​

Odemyrii's hand raised to sweep her hair to the side, emerald locks cascading over her right shoulder - the curtains drawn revealing the ugly sight right at the crook of her neck. An unsightly purple splotch of a nasty bruise and outlining spidering veins. Two small dark red divots where the fangs plunged into. "He feeds on blood and... life." She said trembling as she recalled the terror. Odemyrii wanted to forget all that was today, but the sins were now on her skin, a permanent taint and memory.

"Asmus... h-he-" There were some things she just couldn't put into words - she didn't want to. Odemyrii was known by her subjects as a kind and merciful deity, but this was something she would never forgive. "I want him to suffer." There was anger blazing within her, fuelled by all the hurt. "You can't tell anyone, Yasha." Odemyrii, the Goddess of the Stellar, was no longer pure. If she didn't ascend, it would have been all for nothing."I don't trust any of them." For years she had been living in the temple, yet the run-ins with the priests and bishops were only a few, they were always elusive. Now she witnessed the truth. ​

26KI9NW.png
Few mortals dared to touch the goddess, yet Yasha could not withhold, reaching for her neck before her hair could cover it again. Transfixed, bewildered, disturbed. His face taut with emotion while his fingers gently examined the wound. He did not know what to make of the goddess' accusation, but one had to be the calm, steady voice of reason if the other could not.

Betrayal, her emotions seethed. The cracks in a foundation of truth glowing red hot with tumultuous fury. Someone had to pay. Hot tears pooled onto Yasha's robe as the goddess poured her heart out. To see her in pain and fear, made him feel utterly helpless, and guilty. Why didn't he see this coming? Why didn't he feel her then, to be able to protect her?

His anger burned with hers. Forced to let simmer for now, as he wrapped his arm around her, drawing her close, their shared warmth a blanket against the midnight chill. Torn between friend and family, his goddess and the priests that raised him... Maybe... Perhaps Odee was overreacting. A misunderstanding. Nothing a talk with Asmus couldn't clear up. . .

Despite her plea for him not to tell anyone, Yasha knew that was one promise he could not keep.

"You could...start the Deshirei tonight," he suggested.

The Deshirei. Twelve days dedicated to the goddess' pilgrimage to her predecessor's shrine. A goddess could claim one at any time, so Yasha had been told.

He looked to Odee for approval. Her lack of response, urging him to take charge of the situation and make the decision for her. "Let's find Ruith, prepare a carriage. I'll tell Nora to bring your things and meet you. At least you can sleep for a few days without any priests around." Taking her hand, Yasha would lead her away, toward the barracks.

A plan that would buy them both some time. Most importantly, keep the goddess safe at ease, for now.
KwrTY2R.jpg
He hated to be apart from her, uncertain of what might happen to Odee outside the temple. Even another kidnapping. But what was known outweighed assumption. She couldn't hide from the priests forever. Someone had to fix the problem. In Yasha's eyes, there was only one who could. "I'll catch up," he told her, with a small smile of comfort and assurance. "There are some things I need to take care of here, first."

At the gates of the palace, he hushed her worries, gave her a hug in parting, and sent the goddess on her way, watching the carriage roll down the road, into the darkness.

Last edited:

There was comfort with the person she trusted with her life, to confide in with all her troubles. In his arms, the Goddess wept till her tears ran dry. A solution was found, to be safe and away for a while.

In less than an hour, her carriage was prepared, just one handmaiden, five guards and a servant were adequate. "Will you come with me?" She asked Yasha. A disheartened "Oh," she replied at his unexpected answer, but she would not ask more of him if she was less exhausted perhaps. Bidding him goodbye with a hug, she went on board the carriage and under the moonlight, the party departed on the Deshirei.

A long ride and stopping by the many villages on the way. On the third morning, through a land of large boulders, they had arrived at the side of the hill where a tree stood surrounded by guards and its attending eunuchs. Only having sprouted at the time of her precedent's sacrifice, it was much smaller than the holy tree tree of Xona it was connected to. Word spread quickly, villagers and city dwellers arrived with gifts of farewell and to worship her.

It was on the sixth day, while meditating at dawn under Ishimet's tree when calling upon the Goddess, Odemyrii had sensed a disturbance. A rush of anger - fury - and a glimpse of blood on a pair of hands she knew all too well. The connection was broken off before the spirit of Ishimet could reach her. Odemyrii called an end upon the Deshirei and the return back to the temple. As much as she wanted to stay away from the temple, something was off, terribly, and if anything, the tree was rarely wrong.

Arriving early in the evening, through the gates, the wheels of the chariot rolled to a halt at the temple steps. Her handmaidens flocked to greet her as a guard helped her down from the chariot. She was visibly weary from the long journey. As usual, they quickly ushered her to her chambers where a bath was drawn for her. It wasn't after when her lips touched a spoonful of soup sent to her that she realised. The soup wasn't Yasha's. It was Ruith who stood at guard outside her chambers whom she asked. "Where is My Oshi-Scryri?"

Ruith's brow furrowed. "Forgive me Goddess. Yasha has sinned, he has been deemed unworthy, a deceiver and a threat to you, Your Grace. He will be taken away at dawn for Aeron's judgement." It was the worst news.​

rvMxum2.png
He hadn't expected to wait this long for Asmus to get back to him. Each day a new messenger bird for Odemyrii, delivering the latest on Yasha's prolonged absence. But the priests were busy people, much less the Archbishop. After four days of anticipation, the fifth finally yielded the summons, inviting Yasha to an early breakfast at Asmus' chambers, hours before dawn.

A gourmet feast spread out before him at the Archbishop's table. Yet surprisingly Asmus took little, sampling more from his tea cup than his plate. Though one might suppose if the Devaronian ate like this all day everyday, there was no need to gorge himself all at once.

Aside from the occasional servant rung in at the tug of a cord by Asmus' seat, the room was private all to themselves.

"Father, the day of the cleansing ceremony," Yasha began with a troubled look, to which the Archbishop paused to listen. "The goddess, she told me you hurt her. She- she showed me a mark on her neck. She was very angry and- crying about it."

Asmus let out a sympathetic sigh. "I am sorry to hear she feels that way," he said genuinely. "I assure you, nothing of the ceremony is intended to harm the goddess. Nothing that isn't intended for her own good. Nothing that isn't meant to prepare her for the future."

"Pain, too, is a cleanser," he pointed out kindly. "Part of the ceremony; nothing a goddess hasn't experienced here, before Odemyrii. A goddess who cannot endure a little pain now, cannot possibly endure the pain and suffering of all of Xona when she reaches the eternal realm. A little pain is necessary to open the goddess' eyes in preparation for her ascension."

His brown eyes flashed worriedly, disappointed. "I would have thought that her kidnapping before, would have prepared her to endure that aspect. Still, it would seem she is very...sensitive, concerning trauma she has yet to come to peace with. Her emotions have interfered with the usual timing of the ceremony. Do you understand?"

Yasha nodded solemnly. The way Asmus worded it, it did make sense. Still, he thought he knew Odee well enough to think that she wouldn't exaggerate reality, or that she would keep loose ends of the past hidden from him. Yet he also knew well enough the priests that was pointless to argue against their reasoning. "I...understand, Father."

"Good." Asmus leaned back with a smile. "Though... I do wish the goddess sent you to consult with me before starting the Deshirei. True, the goddess may start one at any time, but to start in the middle of the cleansing ceremony? Unheard of." He shook his head. "I'll have to make a new law about that."

With a sigh of resignation, he took a sip from his cup. "Now we must wait seven more days. And start the ceremony all over."

Guilt washed over Yasha. "I'm sorry, Father. It was my idea. I told her to go." He paused, hesitating. "She said she felt unsafe. That she doesn't trust anyone. I thought if she could spend some time away, she would feel more comfortable while I came and talked to you about it."

He had already sent a letter of apology to the Archbishop days ago, but deeply desired to do so in person. Now was the right time. "I meant no disrespect, Father, for my outburst that night. I only wanted to protect Odemyrii. I felt I had to. She wanted me to." His gaze lowered with a helpless look. To blame Odee for his transgressions was a low blow, but not wholly incorrect, mind-bound as the two were supposed to be.

"I understand, child," Asmus said gently. "I knew, after that, it wasn't your fault; if you could forgive me for rebuking you so harshly before. Indeed, I must say the fault is mine. I shouldn't have pushed Odemyrii so hard to complete the ceremony. Time away will do her some good," he concurred.

The Devaronian sipped from his cup, reflecting.

"When Odemyrii returns, we will discuss all concerns and how to proceed with the ceremony. Perhaps another healing ceremony for her is necessary," he mulled aloud.

Locking eyes with Yasha, he nodded. "We will both help her through the trials ahead."
3WK2GBx.jpg
"I appreciate your honesty and forthcoming," Asmus said a while later, after the meal, the two strolling the vast expanse of the Archbishop's meditation hall. "In fact, there is something I've been meaning to tell you as well..."

"You have always been special to me, Yasha. Your life as a eunuch, your commitment to Odemyrii has proven yourself to be a worthy protector. If only I were Archbishop then, before you took the oath, I would have made you a guard fitting of your legacy. But Euphera"—goddess of fate and destiny—"clearly saw another path for you. And it is only now that the time of the Harvest draws near, that her plan for you is made clear to me."

His voice lowered gravely. "It is true what Odemyrii says, that few are to be trusted. I...cannot say more, but know this, Euphera has promised you something greater. To serve a higher purpose. To protect not just one, but many goddesses, those who will come after Odemyrii. To protect Xona and all her people, from above." He gestured to the sky.

"Will you accept Euphera's plan, Yasha?"

"I--" As flattering as it was, the revelation and praise seemed so...intensely sudden. A bewildered Yasha wasn't about to jump in without pause. "I'm confused... Grateful, Father, but-- Why me? Why now?"

"You must trust me in faith on this, Yasha."

"Who would take my place as the Chosen?"

"Your friend, Zimri, perhaps."

The thought was nearly offensive. Even if Zimri was his best friend. To give up his connection with Odee, to share that commitment with someone else... Yasha couldn't bring himself to do it. The honor was his and his alone.

He shook the fog from his head. "Um-- No, I can't. Thank you, Father, but I—"

"There are higher honors than that of the Chosen. You need only renounce, tell me you renounce the honor of the Chosen, and I will reveal all manner of secrets to you."

With a deep breath, Yasha straightened his posture. "As I have taken the eunuch's oath, so I am Odemyrii's Chosen," he said firmly. "Take Zimri. Let him inherit your plans, instead."

"I insist you reconsider, Yasha—"

"No!" Yasha spun on his heels, intent to walk away... When a vicious snarl met his ears; whipping around to face the Archbishop as a pair of gleaming red eyes and unhinged maw lunged at him...

What felt like an eternity of darkness in the split second Yasha blinked and braced himself. The weight of Asmus slumped into him. Breath hitched against Yasha's neck as the vampire's jaw slackened.

Dark, blackish blood dribbled down Yasha's hands, clenching the hilt of the dagger embedded in Asmus' chest. Foolish he would have been to not take precautions. As he had done so with Meika. The man who had overseen the sacrificial rehearsals of the Harvest, guiding the Chosen's hands on where to find the heart, now struck down by his own teaching as the elder's body crumpled to the floor. Felled by one swift blow. Too quickly for Asmus to even sheath his fangs completely, staring agape as the light faded from his eyes.

A despondent Yasha fell to his knees beside him. Reaching to touch the man, to help him, yet recoiling at the monster that had attacked him. It was as if some dark life force had been released, leaving a husk of the Devaronian that once was, ashen and sunken.

When did Asmus become this? Had he always been?

"He is - he is not like us… he is a monster," Odemyrii's voice echoed.

How many knew? How many of him were there?

"I don't trust any of them."

In despair and horror, the boy could not help but utter a cry of pain that all he had known had been shattered. One of the fathers he never had, killed by his own hand. Surrounded by monsters that governed the very fabric of Xona's existence. His world was ended. It was all over. There was nowhere to hide. No way to hide what he had done, from the eyes of the priests. From the eyes of the gods... Not even the goddess Odemyrii could save him from this, he was certain.

His ears roared, his vision blurred. . .

A loud rush of voices that swept him out of the room, as the sun pierced the chambers.

... ... ...​
ScqtbWm.jpg
Time and space passed around him. Numb to it all, what little trial he had, how long he waited until he found himself standing before the prelates, a sea of robed figures surrounding him in the moonlit courtroom, when the icy weight of the council's verdict came crashing down on him.

"For the murder of Reverend Asmus, Yasha is condemned. His honors are lifted, set aside for Aeron's judgement. May he find mercy in Aeron's eyes. Blood for blood, so be it."
— FIN —

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom