Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Mind Electric

Alicio managed to keep up the conversation, while continuing the duel. "It's something I've been working on. Don't know if it has a name." The Count took a moment to ward off a few of Kai's strikes with precision blocks. "Using the Force to... change the direction, the angle of the swing. Telegraphing an attack, then hitting somewhere else!"

It took a lot of concentration to do right, but it had served him well in practice so far.

He was similarly caught off guard, expecting to clash blades with the shapeshifter, only to have Introspect burn through empty air. His future sight was useless as Kai was able to completely circumvent his guard, and slash him across the back. Alicio hissed in air through his teeth, grunting at the stinging pain, unable to keep the incredulity from his voice. "How is that... I didn't even know that was possible!"

Just because he'd been hit, though, didn't mean the duel was over. Alicio turned around, cautious of the new trick, and trying to stick Kai with a flurry of more conventional stabs, his footwork advancing him forward.

"Can- you- teach- me?" He said, between lunges.

- Arlo Renard Arlo Renard -

"It's something I've been working on. Don't know if it has a name."

<How about ‘the Alicio’?> As the duel continued, Kai attempted to replicate what the Count had done, gradually improving with each try until eventually he could say, with at least semi-confidence, <I think I just pulled an Alicio.>

The Trakata move worked, catching the incredulous Count completely off guard. Kai danced out of Introspect’s way, giggling like a child. It had been a very long time since he had been this carefree and happy.

<If your spine isn’t too badly slashed, sure!> He repeated the trick, turning off his blade in mid-attack. <It’s not too difficult, though you have to time it perfectly, or else you’ll just wind up with no blade in the middle of a fight.>

<I did it to unbalance you. But I’ve also seen it done to bypass a block—and then when you ignite the blade again, it will impale your opponent.> Obviously he couldn’t demonstrate that on poor Alicio. <There are other versions which involve changing the length of the blade for just a moment, but my blade can’t do that. It’s long enough as it is. And if you want to short out your opponent’s blade…>

He allowed Alicio’s blade to hit his lightsaber’s cortosis hilt, causing Introspect to sputter out for a few seconds.

<Bring some cortosis along.>

<I think I just pulled an Alicio.>

Alicio just barely got his saber in front of the shifted blade in time, thanks only to his grasp of the future. Giving him enough space to laugh and shake his head. "Yeah, we'll... workshop the name."

He couldn't even stomach having buildings named after him, much less an entire lightsaber technique.

They traded blows for a moment longer, Alicio pondering what Kai had shown him. Trakata was all about timing? That was one of his strengths as a duelist. Timing. Tempo.

Perhaps he'd try it out.

But first, he had to deal with his sputtering blade.

Alicio drew back, watching as Introspect failed him for a few seconds. "Noted," he returned, waiting for the light to return to his saber. "You know, if we put all of our nasty tricks together, Kai, I think we'll be the most unsportsmanlike duelists in the entire Alliance." Not that Alicio particularly cared. He would do anything to help those in need.

"Alright. Show me Trakata again," the Count commanded, taking up a Form III stance. "I'm ready to learn."

Alicio-Divider.png
Alicio held up a hand, sweat beading across his forehead. "Alright. That's... whew... that's enough."

The nobleman was far more in shape than he had ever been in his life, but he'd never be able to keep pace with the engineered Sithspawn body of Kai. He'd begun to pick up a few tricks, successfully flickering his blade through a saber bind once in their hours of training. Not consistent enough to use in a real duel, but certainly on the road to being a useful tool.

"Thank you, Kai." The senator wiped his brow. "I appreciate the training. I really do."

"You know, if we put all of our nasty tricks together, Kai, I think we'll be the most unsportsmanlike duelists in the entire Alliance."

<Oh yeah.> Kai smirked, but then his smile faded. <I haven’t been in many sporting duels, but I have been in situations where I needed to win, or else people would get hurt. So I learned how to cheat.>

Perhaps in some ways his return to being a Sithspawn was part of that desire to never lose a battle. Not out of pride or to seek power for power’s own sake, but because he couldn’t bear letting down the people who relied on him.

Something to think about later. For now, he focused on training Alicio.

Afterwards, when Alicio finally called for an end to their sparring, Kai deactivated his blade and gave the Count a respectful bow. Unlike his opponent, he hadn’t broken a sweat, though that was probably because Doppelgangers don’t sweat. <You’re welcome. And thank you for… everything. You’ve done a lot for me. This is the least I can do for you in return.>

Sophie bounded over, her tail wagging, and stood beside Kai. The boy looked like he was about to ask something, but then looked away and ducked his head as he bent down to pet the Warghest.

"The least you could do is nothing at all," the Count countered, smiling despite his fatigue. He replaced his lightsaber onto his belt, finding a seat on one of the scattered crates. "You don't have to be here. So... thank you for offering your time. It's valuable to me."

"Though, next time, remind me to bring water. And maybe have a shower ready."
Alicio puffed out a breath, enjoying the pain that came from hard work. It was the kind of low ache that would only flare with a good night's sleep, reminding him of the important lessons he'd learned the day previous.

Ever inquisitive, however, Alicio noticed Kai's sudden bashfulness. He leaned an elbow on his upturned knee, studying the doppelganger and his companion with overcast eyes.

"Something on your mind, Kai?"

If anything, Alicio’s gratitude only made Kai even more bashful. <I was wondering why you didn’t get any drinks to go with the pizza,> he remarked. He usually at least got a soda—which would probably just make the workout feel worse for Alicio, but it would just give Kai a fizzy buzz.

"Something on your mind, Kai?"

<It’s nothing,> he automatically deflected. <I mean, I was going to ask… How is this going to work? Should I… move in with you, or at least stay somewhere close by? Or am I just going to be needed when you’re out in public?

<And… I was going to ask about payment. Or room and board, if you prefer...> This was delivered in an awkward, uncomfortable tone. Kai had never had to worry about such things before. All his needs had been met by the Jedi Order, but now he was on his own. <I just… have to ask.>

Alicio sighed at the sudden realization; he hadn't bought any refreshments for the pizza either. It hadn't even crossed his mind. Master city-planner Alicio couldn't even remember that drink goes with food.

The Count giggled to himself, rubbing his nose to disguise the laughter.

Kai's reluctant question sobered the air, as Alicio sat up a bit taller. The context of the words wasn't lost on him; Kai was used to the Jedi Order's support. Without that... the Sithspawn was lost.

"I'll pay for a hotel, until we can find a home for you," Alicio assured him, already fishing up his datapad from a nearby table. "I'll give you a salary too, don't worry. More than a livable wage on Coruscant."

"We can find an apartment near Amani's and mine, together, if you want. In case I need to borrow sugar."
He smirked. The Count was always a bit more independent, finding his first home was natural for him. But if Kai needed someone there, he would be there.

"If you ever want for anything, Kai, let me know. Really."

<You don’t have to…> Kai started to protest, but then trailed off, fiddling with the ring on his finger. Alicio was clearly eager to help, and he didn’t want to seem too vain or proud to accept it.

Besides, what other choice did he have? Living out of his ship, when he couldn’t even afford a secure hangar space? Living in the ruins of the Reef? Or on the streets? He had a few friends he might have been able to stay with, but none so well-off as the Count, who would be the least inconvenienced by it all. <Find a place close enough so that if I hear a scream or sense that something is wrong, I can get there fast,> he said.

Kai’s eyebrows rose. <You… want me to give you sugar?> he asked, utterly confused.

But any awkwardness caused by his ignorance soon gave way to a warm, appreciative smile. He still wasn’t exactly comfortable with all this caring, but he wasn’t unreceptive to it. <I don’t need much,> he said. <It’s just that Sophie has to have a clean warm place to sleep.>

Then, as he stopped twisting his ring and allowed his hands to fall to his sides, he made an earnest promise. <You won’t regret hiring me, Alicio. I’ll make sure of that.>

"It's the least I can do." He threw Kai's own words back to him. "That's what friends are for."

The Count studied Sophie for a moment, chuckling. "Well, Coruscant isn't really a good place for big dogs... really big dogs... We'll have to see if any apartments near my home will allow her. If I vouch for you, I'm sure we can make something happen." He imagined the dumbfounded faces of passersby as Kai took the enormous creature on a walk through the city.

Kai's confusion at his turn of phrase elicited another chuckle from the Count. "No! It's a... like a cultural expression. If you need anything, you can just walk over and ask."

<You won’t regret hiring me, Alicio. I’ll make sure of that.>

He let his grey eyes examine the Sithspawn's face, his own features kind. "I won't. No need to see the future to know that."

"Now, let's find you somewhere to stay tonight."

"Well, Coruscant isn't really a good place for big dogs... really big dogs..."

“Woof,” Sophie agreed.

Alicio explained what he meant by borrowing sugar. <Oh,> Kai said, smiling awkwardly.

"I won't. No need to see the future to know that. Now, let's find you somewhere to stay tonight."

Kai’s smile became genuine. <Okay good, okay fine.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom