Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Military Expansion Act - Passed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galactic_Republic.png

Summary: Main submitted by Senator Alena Beswin of Kuat, the Military Expansion Act was debated on by the Senate before being amended in several parts, then passed with unanimous support from the senators after it went through major revisions.

Faction: The Galactic Republic (Chancellor Popo)

Type: Historic / Political

Description: Realizing the need to counter the One Sith's ever growing force, as shown by Sith victories in battles, Senator Beswin proposed the Military Expansion Act in the hopes of addressing the issue. Her original bill included ideas for a new system of drafting Republic citizens and training them into soldiers. However, due to widespread opposition to introducing a draft system, such idea was abandoned from the bill. Upon suggestions by Senator Aurelia Saelari, further revisions were made to the bill, including reforms that emphasized merit-based system for advancement and promotions, along with more generous terms of service. Also added were offers for full scholarships into acadmies for talented potential cadets. The original bill was opposed by Senator Callas, Senator Holgor, Senator Delitros, Senator Ozio, Senator Saelari,and the Chancellor himself. However, Senator Ozio changed his mind at one point into that drafting was actually going to be a good idea. Not many other senators were convinced, however, and the bill went under further revision that involved taking out conscription before it recieved support. Chancellor Popo even suggested that senators go out and fight in the battle-field, before senators sent angry rhetorics his way. The chancellor's words otherwise were largely ignored, and the chancellor himself did not partake in the voting procedure. The amended bill then enjoyed much more popular support, and the legislation was successfully passed with unanimous support from Senator Beswin, Senator Callas, Senator Holgor, Senator Delitros, Senator Ozio, and Senator Saelari. This is the finalized version of the legislation that passed the Senate:

Bill Name: The Military Expansion Act

Purpose: To take adequate measures to increase the ability of the Republic military to counter the forces of the One Sith and other enemies in the present or the future.

Content:

Section 1 - Investigates how much additional spending is needed on the Republic's army, navy, and other agencies within the Republic military to more effectively counter forces, and allocates expenditure into the military based on the investigation

Section 2 - Reaffirms the Republic's commitment to updating, expanding, and further developing its military technology for both the army and the navy

Section 3 - Builds new and developed training academies to better train cadets for the military

Section 4 - Encourages able, adult citizens of the Republic to join the military, and promotes recruitment by:
a. Providing the existing military with a more efficient and organized merit-baesd system for advancement and promotions
b. Offering more generous terms of military service

Section 5 - Encourages all youth citizens, aged between 14 to 18 years of age, to join youth military academies as a cadet if he or she possesses the mentality, ability, and skills needed for military training and service, and provides full scholarships for the academies to those who excel in academic or physical disciplines
Links:
A Senatorial Meeting
The Military Expansion Act (Passed)

Lets get down to it then [member="Alena Beswin"]:

I think you did very nice work in keeping this neutral. Despite the negativity, and rightfully so, of the One Sith (and other factions) throughout, that fails to show itself in your submission. The point of this being an unbiased and neutral account of the dealings within the Senate. That being said:

The actual hearing that came after the trip to the Silver Jedi (You and Faith) and Protectorate (Aurelia) was far more hostile than this description would lead to believe (not that I want this to come off as hostile). Between those wanting to nix the whole thing from the start, to those opposing the draft and later deciding that they were cool with the draft, to those who were cool with the draft and then later not cool with it, to those who loved it from the beginning...a lot of key players in the discussion were left out of the description beyond the fact that they were present. I'm not looking for every person to find their way into the discussion, but the refusal of Alyesa Praxon-Organa, the showmanship and call to conscription of the Senators by Popo, the support/back and forth between Torill Holgor and Nitram Ozio, these were things that I felt were very crucial towards the movement and progression of the bill. I'd like to see a hair of this mentioned (not even as expansive as this, just something more than "due to widespread opposition.") Also, could you list/annotate who the residing Chancellor was at the time?

Something that bothered me: Is the initial bill that you proposed in that topic the same as the last one, and you just went back and edited it for the purposes of ease of understanding...cause I got be honest. I copy and pasted each in word looking for differences and...

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

[member="Reverance"]

Yes, I did update the bill on the front page as discussion progressed. I apologize if that drove you crazy. ^^

I'll be very honest. Due to RL time constraint, I didn't read about half the stuff that got posted on that thread. I am also very reluctant to go back and read through the entire thing in order to be more specific. Even now, I have a very vague idea of who supported / opposed what, and could not even recall if the chancellor had actually showed up to that thread (I went back and checked, and was surprised to see Popo's post). Regardless, I have edited the description to be a bit more inclusive on the content that you have suggest be added.

Honestly, it was very difficult to discern who the Chancellor was or whether they showed up...but I digress.

I think the edits are good. A bit of forewarning in any of your future endeavors here at the Lore Codex: We will be reading in depth any submission that comes through. These sort of 'edits' may become standard as we are looking for not just the lore to be cataloged, but to be done so in a manner that thoroughly describes the event.

Approved Pending Secondary

[member="Alena Beswin"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom