Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Lovebirds, the Dream-walkers, and Shem

4XjHmkg.png

The Lovebirds, the Dream-walkers, and Shem
Ukatis
Tags: Fantine von Ascania Fantine von Ascania

bird_boi_sig.png

Goldwing, Epo-1, R5-T399

"Have you been half asleep, And have you heard voices? I've heard them calling my name. Is this the sweet sound, That calls the young sailors? The voice might be one and the same..."

Shem was singing on a street corner at the mouth of an alleyway, perched atop his astromech companion R5-T399, Tepp. It was closing in on the evening hours, with the Festival beginning to wind down as visitors from across the galaxy or simply down the street began to make their way home. The fledgling, however, was swept up in the atmosphere, his adventurous heart captured by the moment. With the sun setting in such a perfect way, he simply couldn't help but pluck at the plasma drawstring of his bow and let out a tune.

"Come on, Tepp!" Shem urged as he balanced on the droid's head. "Back up vocals for the chorus!"

The astromech shook his head, protesting in droidspeak that he couldn't carry a tune. Shem sighed, hanging his avian head.

"Aw, come on," he lamented, "Not even one verse?"

A sharp beep boop shut down the chances of that. The Rishii fledgling understood what was wrong. Tepp was just scared of performing in public. Then again, the droid was scared of doing lots of things. He'd simply have to work on breaking his friend out of his metaphorical shell.

"Alright," the padawan shrugged. "Suit yourself."

A grumble took him out of the moment. It was his stomach. Shem had been so wrapped up in singing that he had forgotten that he needed supper. A frown formed on his beak as he glanced around at the closing stalls. There had to be one still open that had food...

Right?

Fantine delighted in parties, but this year's Harvest Festival had been an elevation of the usual celebrations. Fascinating off-worlders had crowded the streets, mingling with native Ukatians.

The people of Ukatis were largely insular. Many never traveled offworld unless they had business to attend to. Being one of the middle children born into an aristocratic family, Fantine had everything she needed right here at home.

Or so she'd been told. Her curiosity of the galaxy had been thoroughly piqued by the strange yet friendly aliens who'd partaken in the festival.

Rounding the corner of a side street, the young noblewoman munched on an apple fritter as her gaze lazily scanned her midway. The festivities were winding down, but she was far from tired.

A musical twang rose above the crowd's murmurs, and Fantine followed the sound until she found herself standing in front of a bird-person perched atop a droid.

"Were you the one playing that music?"

The teenager stepped closer as she asked her question, eyeing the Rishii's avian features with fascination. In her hand, the basket of fresh apple dumplings wafted closed to the street performer.

Shem Spinner Shem Spinner

"Were you the one playing that music?"

"Huh?"

Shem turned his head to see a new arrival, a rather proper looking girl who seemed to be about his age. Maybe, anyways. The fledgling admittedly struggled when it came to telling human aging patterns, or things about humans in general. He could assume she was young at least.

"I sure was," Shem nodded, puffing out his chest. "I was trying to get my friend to join me, but..." Shem leaned down for a moment, lightly pecking the droid's head twice. "Someone's being a buzzkill."

Tepp, in response, shook the Rishii off of him. The interaction was in a rather playful manner though, like two siblings getting into an argument. Shem landed on the ground, snickering as his companion let out garbled droidspeak in embarrassment. Then he turned back to the girl and offered a cordial half-bow. She had to be a noble, right? That was the proper thing to do, or at least that's what his father told him was the proper thing to do. He couldn't go making it seem that the chieftain didn't impart manners upon his only son.

"Shem Spinner," he greeted. "Bow master in the making... Eventually, anyways. I'm not as good as my dad yet."

It wasn't long before something had been caught in his nostrils, a pleasant and savory scent that very much reminded him of his current state. He was rather hungry.

"Woah," he reacted, "Something smells awesome. Do you know where I can get one of those? Or twenty?"

Fantine giggled at the lighthearted teasing between what appeared to be two very good friends. With seven siblings, she was no stranger to playful jostling.

The girl returned his bow with a practiced curtsey. "Fantine von Ascania, but everyone calls me Tina."

Straightening, Tina paused in returning to the apple fritter when she saw Shem practically gravitate towards the thin whisps of steam rising from the basket, no doubt entranced by the savory scent of fried apples and natie spices wrapped in a warm dough.

"I'm afraid that the apple dumpling stall is closed for the night." She said. "But if you're hungry, we can split mine! They're so rich that I never end up eating them all." With a bright grin, she eagerly thrust the basket forward.

"Hey, what are you anyway?"

Her question was light and curious, that of a girl who'd only ever been exposed to her own species.

If her nanny was here, she'd chide Fantine for being rude. But to her, it was a direct an honest question. She'd never seen a bird-person before!

"But if you're hungry, we can split mine! They're so rich that I never end up eating them all."

"That would be awesome," Shem reacted with a smile. "Thanks!"

He wasn't one to shy away from kind offers. After all, it was rude to deny hospitality after all, or at least that's what his father always taught him. It wasn't long before she asked what it is that he was, which the fledgling wasn't bothered by. The Rishii weren't a very technologically advanced species after all. They didn't get out as much as he did.

"I'm Rishii," the boy explained, "From Rishi. Uh, the species has two 'I' and the planet has one, but you say them the same. My flock doesn't live their anymore though. They left to settle a safer place a year ago. It's a real sweet water moon with some islands that were just discovered... but I haven't been there yet. My dad said I should stay with the Jedi and train a bit longer before the village is ready for visitors."

Shem sighed, folding his winged hands behind his head.

"But all that waiting has been boring," he shrugged, "So I'm traveling the galaxy instead."

While Shem spoke of his people, Fantine happily munched away at an apple fritter. Wide brown eyes and a focus on the boy in front of her indicated that he had her rapt attention.

"Wow!" She exclaimed. "You're a Jedi? That's so astral! Off-worlders are so cool!"

Fantine sighed dreamily, twirling in place as she looked up to the evening sky and the stars that were just beginning to twinkle.

"I'd love to travel the galaxy but father says I'm too young. Oh, but I bet you miss your family though, don't you?"

"I'd love to travel the galaxy but father says I'm too young. Oh, but I bet you miss your family though, don't you?"

To young? They were probably the same age, right? That seemed weird, but maybe it was just a human thing. They seemed far more protective of their children.

"Sometimes," Shem shrugged. "But only when I haven't seen them in a while, but I can't let that keep me down. I got a whole galaxy to see, y'know? Home isn't going anywhere."

Shem shrugged, sitting down on a nearby bench where he began to kick his feet. He was still trying to figure out all of this cultural stuff, so it took him some time to think about what he could say that wouldn't be too rude. He was raised with standards after all.

"I'll be going back soon though," he added. "So that'll be cool. I can tell my dad about all the places I've been." His eyes seemed to fill with excitement thinking about it. "He's real strong, and super smart. I wanna be just like him when I grow up."

An awkward laugh escaped the fledgling.

"Well, maybe not exactly like him," Shem backtracked a little. "Being Chieftain would probably be pretty stressful."

He probably wasn't cut out to lead the flock.

Fantine nodded, but she didn't really understand. Her parents never really expected much from her, and they tended to pay more attention to her older siblings. Still, if she'd been in Shem's position, she guessed that she would've missed her home, as well as her brothers and sisters.

"Your dad sounds amazing, Shem." Fantine slipped beside him on the bench, setting the basket of dumplings down between them to share.

"Is that why you're traveling and stuff? To learn how to be like him?"

The girl kicked her legs softly, content to watch festival goers as they milled around the square.

"Do you think you learned anything useful from Ukatis? We don't get many visitors from offworld, but I've heard that the crown wants to change that."

Fantine von Ascania Fantine von Ascania

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom