Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Land of the Rising Sun (Fringe Dominion of Asahi)

Asahi
09:00 Hours
Saisho no Aki (Capital City)

Shogun Juro Tanaka stood with his adjutants, staff, servants, functionaries, sycophants, bootlickers, and the general tag-a-longs that followed a Shogun around. He also stood with a few trusted advisors, a handful of honor-bound Samurai bodyguards, and his three daughters. They all stood at the end of a long path that on opposite ends rested a landing pad and the Shogun's palace. The rather large group stood at the steps of the palace awaiting their guests. The distance was primarily for safety in the event a ship suffered a failure and crashed, but also to make those coming to the Shogun's palace walk the length of the path through the gardens. Asahians were a complicated people.

However, despite how complicated they were as a whole, today was a very, very strange and interesting day. It was also somewhat scary to the residents of the planet. Thousands of years earlier, the planet of Asahi was stranded and abandoned in space by the galaxy. Since then, they had no contact with the outside galaxy, short of a legend of outsiders coming and bringing only death to Asahi. Now, however, it appeared outsiders had arrived yet again and that legend was no longer story. A man identifying himself as [member="Jorus Merrill"] had communicated, through a translator droid, that he wished to bring this planet back to the galaxy once again.

Thinking quickly, Tanaka had arranged for a diplomatic meeting at his palace. The Asahian fleet was on standby in the event hostilities broke out, but the Shogun had reservations on their effectiveness against outsider ships. Asahi fleets were the peak of design, lethality, and durability, but Tanaka worried that due to their isolation, their technology was inferior to the outsiders'.

The drone of an engine interrupted his thoughts and the older man looked skyward. A ship of some strange, foreign design came in low to land on the pad. Juro only hoped that things would go well. The deaths of his people would be unbearable on his soul should bloodshed come to Asahi.

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

The ship was the Gypsymoth, legendary in some places. An ancient or replica YV-929 armed freighter -- he'd rebuilt it from scratch a few times and modded it endlessly, but even he didn't know which it was -- the ship was a flying brick by most aesthetic reckonings. The freighter practically bristled with turbolasers, ion cannons, even assault concussion missile tubes. It had gone faster than any ship in history, forged entire super-hyperlanes, and was, all things considered, a nice place to call home. Dark Masters had tried to tear it apart, and ultimately failed. It had dropped capital-grade warheads on a Force temple and taken Star Destroyers alone.

The man who emerged was a spacer bum, no longer terribly young, formerly worth trillions of credits. Two big Tenloss revolvers rested on his hips, and a knife nestled in the small of his back, but he'd left his Mandalorian shell gun on board for purposes of politesse.

A lean woman walked with him, her eyes yellow, her face mottled by burst blood vessels. At her hip she carried a sword in the Atrisian mode. Jorus shared language with Asahi, but not culture. For that, he needed a translator. His sister.

Asahi's gravity was eight percent above the norm, and the spring fled from Rave's step as she exited the freighter where she'd spent much of her youth. She'd worn Atrisian clothes, formal, archaic. The sword Entropy, a songsteel blade loosely based on Atrisian blades, was tucked through her sash; she was otherwise unarmed. Long reciprocal tutelage under Masamune Tametomo had given her enough of a sense of Atrisian-derived cultures that she could serve as Jorus' cultural interpreter.

The ship landed and multiple figures emerged. Tanaka was a bit taken aback at their appearance, even at this distance. One wore clothing that was similar to traditional Asahian dress, but neither looked like his people did. Both seemed to have skin that was far paler than the average Asahian and, though he couldn't make out tiny details, it seemed as if both had rounder eyes than his people. It was an odd feeling, meeting a true outsider.

A gesture of his hand and the small flotilla of diplomatic refuse parted. These people were outsiders and foreigners. They had no knowledge of Asahi or its people. The dress of one told him that the legends, perhaps, might be true. That his people came from a far away land and that the gods had deemed it necessary to isolate the planet. Perhaps, just perhaps, this legend was more secular than what was believed. Perhaps his people came from another land, one that the foreigners knew of. It was the only explanation he could think of. Perhaps his people had brethren elsewhere, forgotten and waiting for rediscovery.

As he thought, he continued to walk. The sycophants and diplomats and bodyguards came trailing behind, obviously unused to a breach of protocol from the Shogun. But this was a new age. A new time. Protocol needed breaking to truly enter the next stage of existence in what was obviously a far, far larger universe. He watched the ship grow larger as he neared it, but continued to think all the while...

[member="Rave Merrill"] [member="Jorus Merrill"]

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

Rave was far from fluent in Atrisian. Most of her skill in that language came from old and formal sources. Blacksmithing terms and idioms, for example, and the same from martial arts and philosophy. In long weeks with Masamune, though, she'd picked up enough to make this work. She and her brother both bowed at what seemed like an appropriate degree.

<Honored leader, may I present my brother, Captain Jorus Merrill, the greatest hyperspace explorer in a thousand years. He has asked me to serve as his translator, though I apologize for the weakness of my translation. I am Rave Merrill, a swordsmith and not a diplomat.>

Tanaka bowed in return and listened to what the woman had to say. When she was done, he nodded once and made a mild dismissal gesture with his hand.

"<I would rather a swordsmith translate than a diplomat, Lady Merrill>," he stated with a chuckle. "<Smiths, I would assume, are much the same everywhere. Stolid, trustworthy, and blunt, which is better than most 'diplomatic' translators. Your refreshing honesty, however, has made me forget my manners. I am Juro Tanaka, Shogun of Asahi. Welcome to my planet, Lady [member="Rave Merrill"] and Captain [member="Jorus Merrill"]. You are the first visitors we have seen in many, many lifetimes. Nearly five centuries, to be exact, if your calendar matches our own."

Marcus Tritum

M
The duster of terentatek leather hung heavy, giving a light swagger to the walk onto the landing platform. Back a bit straighter, taller. Breath felt easy and relaxed without the presence of a helmet's confines. In a holster on the hip was a concussion pistol capable of spitting out some pretty impressive firepower. Hard for saber swingers to block, see? Most of 'em anyway. Underneath the armpit was a disruptor pistol, hidden from view by the grey-green duster. Pretty illegal, didn't want that bein' seen. Wrapped around the arms were leviathan bracers whose alchemized knuckles packed a nasty punch. Seydakiin sat in a booth sheath. Huntsman was in a belt loop. From the outside, no so impressive. If the duster came off? Well, people would be wondering why the Epicanthix looked armed for a small war.

The "diplomatic" mission to Asahi was uh, interesting. Didn't know too much about it. Didn't care much either. Just here as a glorified bodyguard in case things went south. A glance at [member="Rave Merrill"], a glance at Jorus, a glance at [member="Juro Tanaka"], then a glance at the surrounding area to ascertain the relative security of the position. Good? No, not really. Open space, plenty of ways for a sniper to take out the VIPs.

But any comments from this Epicanthix? No. No comments.

Not Ordo

Just under the upper hand.
[member="Jorus Merrill"] [member="Juro Tanaka"] [member="Rave Merrill"]

Gavin trailed behind Jorus and Rave. For the first time in a long time he wore his green and gold Aliit'gam, a silver polished beskad on his left hip and a sonic blaster pistol on the other.

His helmet cliped to his belt he kept quiet until after the shogun spoke. Then in perfect Mando'a he whispered to Jorus and Rave.

<<Can someone tell me in advance if things head south?>> he asked trying to fake a smile for the onlookers.

[member="Gavin Ovmar"] got a slow blink; Rave didn't speak Mando'a, though her Atrisian wasn't bad. She turned back to [member="Juro Tanaka"].

<I, too, forget my manners. My honor guards, Dak Canton and Gavin Ovmar. Thank you for your welcome, Shogun. Five centuries -- many worlds were lost around then, due to the Gulag Virus. Many are still reconnecting with the galaxy as a Dark Age ends. The world of your ancestors, Atrisia, was once my honored enemy. Now it is part of the confederation I help to lead, and I have trained there with swordsmen and smiths.

<My brother does not share my allegiance, nor my hope that you will eventually find a place in the Fringe Confederation. He seeks only your re-connection with the galaxy, and it would be dishonorable for me to advance my agenda while on his errand.>

Tanaka bowed to the two others, the bodyguards [member="Gavin Ovmar"] and [member="Dak Canton"].

"<I know not of this Gulag Virus,>" he said aloud, thoughtfully. "<Though this virus does seem to have touched our world. The legends say that the last visitors to come here left, never to return, but brought with them a great and terrible sickness. The Emperor decreed our moon base, the only place touched by outsiders, severed from the planet until the sickness died out. The decree was cruel and all those on the moon base were lost, but the planet was untouched. We later rebuilt the base upon the stop of the sickness, but while the sickness was real, the visitors are only a story. We have no records of them.>"

Tanaka gestured graciously for the foreigners to follow him. At the same time, he also gestured a little more bluntly for the small sea of hanger-ons to part for them to pass through.

"<Please, walk with me. We shall dine in my home,>" he said politely. "<Tell me more of the rest of the galaxy and this 'Fringe Confederacy'. Aside from story I have told you, we have no known contact with the outside. In fact, we did not believe any life existed elsewhere. Tell me also of this 'Atrisia' you speak of. You state it is the home of my ancestors, but we have no records of anything aside from Asahi for over five eons.>"

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

Rave translated their conversation for him, and he had no reason to distrust his sister's translation, Fringer or not. The courtiers parted, allowing Tanaka and the Merrills to approach the Shogun's home to dine.

"Atrisia's not far from here, all things considered," said Jorus, and Rave began to translate for him. "The dark age and the Gulag virus did a number on their territory too, but they were more insulated than most, and their records are what led me here. They don't remember your world too well, but enough. Atrisia's an important world, but its royal family keeps trying to make it more important than it is, an' that brings disaster. Invasions, blunders, hubris, dishonor, declarin' itself the head of a Galactic Empire that never got off the ground. They say it was somethin' different even twenty, thirty years back. It pissed off the Republic and another great power called the Omega Protectorate, and had to join the Fringe Confederation to survive. This world is right in between the Fringe and the Republic. There's a lot to be gained, but I won't lie, there's a lot to be lost by connecting with the galaxy. I'm hopin' to show you a few reasons to come back into the fold, but the decision's yours. It ain't too late for me to walk away an' leave you in peace."

Juro waited for Lady [member="Rave Merrill"] to translate for him and nodded at the man's words.

"<I appreciate your offer to leave us in peace and to let us remain hidden from the galaxy, but if you have found us so easily then others will soon follow. You have come here in peace and to speak with us, I know not if others will do the same. It seems our legends of the ancient Asahian people earning the gods' ire was not so far from the truth, though perhaps a little... misplaced with the origination of said ire. We are a proud people, steeped in tradition and honor. It seems our progenitors took issue with such at some point and cut us off, though that is simply a loose guess. I would need to know more of these records at some point to know if my guess is correct.>"

The small group drew near the palace. The massive complex was a huge structure of stone and wood. Though called a palace, it looked more like a castle down to the high perimeter walls, the water filled trench surrounding the walls, and even the palace's location atop a tall hill. This was no palace of an emperor or elected official. This was the home of a military warlord. A shogun. And it showed.

"<Tell me of this 'Republic'. You say were are located between this 'Fringe' and this 'Republic'? I would greatly desire to know of them. What could my people expect from such a 'Republic'?>"

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

"I've brought the records for you to look over, though, like I said, they're incomplete." Jorus had served in planetary militias, the Rebel Alliance, and the ODF all the way to naval Captain rank; he appreciated a good military emplacement. "As for the Republic...well, you know as well as I do that every system has its flaws. I'm a Warden of the Sky, someone that watches out for free space and doesn't think much of hyperlane tariffs an' such. One thing I know for sure: The Republic's killed an' inconvenienced as many of my people as the Sith Empire ever did before it fell last year. Empire oppressed plenty of worlds, Republic's oppressed a few of its own, just like Fringe. There's no government in the galaxy worth trustin' all the way, sad to say. Me, I answer to the Levantine Sanctum, a patch of independent worlds way on the other side of the galaxy from here. Free space. But that's me an' my ideals."

"<I am sorry, but you speak of these governments as if I know them. Could you explain them to me? How does this Republic operate? And what is this Empire you speak of. Is it the same one you mentioned of our apparent proginetors? The Atrisians? And what of this 'Sith Empire'? And the "Omega Protectorate' and the 'Levantine Sanctum'? What are these?>" he asked politely. Some of the words felt odd in his mouth, but he hoped he had said them at least half decently.

They slowly reached the steps of the palace and Tanaka lead the way up. Normally, tradition stated that he and his retainers waited here for visitors, if the Shogun waited there at all. Usually, the Shogun waited inside while his guests made their way indoors. Today, however, was a different day. Not necessarily to break traditions all over, but to show the understanding that these outsiders represented. Change was coming to Asahi.

[member="Jorus Merrill"] [member="Rave Merrill"]

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

"Yeah, I figured the best way to introduce'em to you was in reference to each other. Let's see. Republic and Fringe are sorta democracies, Omega Protectorate too, to a degree. They're the big three powers in this region. All their member worlds more or less govern themselves, all their top leaders are sort of autocratic. Most of Fringe's leaders, includin' my sister, are what's called Darksiders, people who..." He caught his sister's eye and shrugged. "People with metaphysical powers who're dead set on shoving past everything and everyone that stands between them and what they want. Whereas the top dogs of the Republic are Lightsiders, Jedi, people with metaphysical powers who're dead set on makin' everything run their way. Of the two, Darksiders do more damage an' generally get associated with more atrocities, an' Lightsiders interfere more, in everything. I've got no patience for the lot of'em, but that's me talkin'. Republic's half democracy an' half orthodox theocracy, Fringe is a single-party democracy run by some really brutal, ambitious people, Omega Protectorate mostly minds its own business and helps out when it can benefit.

"Other big powers of the galaxy, farther away, are the Mandalorians an' the Confederacy of Independent Systems. I think maybe you'd like the Mandos -- clan-based, honor-bound, family and tribe first. Confeds...think the Republic but without standing for anything. They've called me an enemy an' I've been proud of it, in time gone by."

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

Rave translated Jorus' words faithfully, then added, first in Basic and then in Atrisian:

"It's also worth noting that the Republic has broken its last three non-aggression agreements with the Fringe. We have no extradition treaties, we don't care who our people have been so long as they fight alongside us faithfully, so the Republic sees us as evil and worth destroying. We repelled their last invasion and they sued for peace when we prepared to take their capital. Now we're waiting for them to break the treaty they begged for. I won't pretend that the Fringe is righteous, but it is necessary. We defend this entire region from what some call the 'terrors of the dark' - overwhelming, sometimes incomprehensible threats from unknown space."

He frowned a little then, as they entered the castle. The descriptions of those who could use metaphysical powers spoke volumes of something similar here on Asahi.

"<Your... darksiders and lightsiders.. We have a similar sort of folk here on Asahi,>" he said after a moment. "<Throughout Asahi, there are small monasteries of sorts. Asahian Monks live in these temples set in the most inhospitable or remote locations. There, they focus what we call Inner Power, or Chii, and use it to enhance their bodies or even see into the future. They are very recluse and, aside from giving warnings of great tragedies or disasters that loom on the horizon, rarely make contact with the outside world. I sense many similarities between the Monks and these peoples you talk of.

As for the governments you describe, it sounds very... complicated. It is very much different from what we Asahians follow, it seems. Perhaps we can discuss more of it over a meal?>"

Inside, he led the group to a large banquet hall where a huge, low table filled the room. Small mats sat around the table and servants hustled around and about to make things ready for the outsider guests. Tanaka let his small group of sycophants herd into the banquet hall. He urged them to sit and called in the servants to have the meal started. As the servants rushed in, he leaned over to his guests.

"<I tire of so many ears and thoughtless minds following me around,>" he said quietly, a tone of humor in his voice. "<Care to retire to my quarters to discuss things in a more private setting? I greatly wish to know more of the outside galaxy, but this armada of imbeciles makes a private conversation very difficult.>"

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

The meal proceeded in private, as suggested -- and a Shogun's suggestions were rarely that. The food was understated, subtle to the palate, and of unquestionable quality.

"When I find worlds like yours, isolated by forgotten hyperspace routes and shifting stars, there's sort of a few standard options I toss out there, to ease transitions and keep things manageable. My wife and I built a company, a huge one, that transports healing biotech called bacta and kolto. It also runs starbases and hyperlanes, even builds trains to carry people and cargo from surface to orbit cheaper than most starships can do it. I don't own or run that company anymore, but they're still in that business."

"<Options like the one you offered on the walk here, you mean?>" Tanaka asked as he sipped his sake. There were no servants in his private quarters, aside from the few that had brought them the meal. The older man offered the bottle of rice wine to his guests to see if any desired their drink refreshed. "<What other options do you mean, Captain Merrill? And you speak of a train in space? I would greatly enjoy seeing such a thing. I've had a fascination with trains and train-like things since I was a boy. And what of this healing technology you speak of? This 'kolto' and 'bacta'?>"

The Shogun grimaced ruefully at himself. Not even alone with his guests for more than a handful of minutes and he was asking questions like an excited child.

"<Forgive me, I have many questions and a driving need to ask them, for some reason. My apologies.>"

[member="Jorus Merrill"] [member="Rave Merrill"] [member="Gavin Ovmar"] [member="Dak Canton"]

[member="Juro Tanaka"]

"The governments aren't the options, Shogun. Not from my perspective anyway. To leaders like you and my sister, sure, the galactic political landscape is that kind of thing. Been a while since I made that my business, what worlds choose to do with themselves and the colors on their flags. My business has been business, setting up people to succeed. Marketing what they're good at, playing to their strengths, setting up a strong position for when they step out into the rest of everything. Setting up so that you don't get exploited. I've brought you a HoloNet linkup, keyed right to commodities indices and everything you need to know who needs what and where, and what place you might be able to fill."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom