OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A personal transport for [member="Curupira Hawk"]
- Image Source: "Hiigaran Interceptor" by Jukka Lehto
- Canon Link: N/A
- Restricted Missions: N/A
- Primary Source: N/A
- Manufacturer: Kathol Republic (a member government of the Outer Rim Coalition), aftermarket modifications by the Wretched Hive
- Model: Creereen-class patrol boat, heavily modified
- Affiliation: [member="Curupira Hawk"]
- Production: Unique
- Material: Titanium hull, ballistic glass viewports
- Classification: Unique Medium Freighter
- Length: 50 meters
- Width: 33 meters
- Height: 12 meters
- Armament: High
2 dual laser cannon turrets
- 2 Shadow Bomb launchers (3 warheads each)
- 2 MVSE Caterwaul sonic emitters (antipersonnel, nonlethal)
- Standard deflector shield generator
- Light armor plating
[*]Squadron Count: None (unique ship)
[*]Maneuverability Rating: Moderate
[*]Speed Rating: High (Average when using thrust trace dampers)
[*]Hyperdrive Class: Very Fast: 0.25
- Standard communications array
- Standard deflector shield generator
- Standard sublight engines
- MVSE Cornerstone bridge
- MVSE Chrysalis life-support system
- MVSE Mynock navigation system
- Standard repulsorlift engines
- Standard sensor array
- Standard targeting systems
- Standard landing systems
- Advanced and highly modified hyperdrive
- Salvaged Stingray cloaking package, including passive sensor periscope
- Gravitic modulator
- Thrust trace dampers
- Ion scramblers
- Fast and nimble at sublight and FTL.
- Cloaking device defeats all standard sensors.
- Gravitic modulator defeats mass-detectors/gravitic sensors, such as Crystal Gravfield Traps.
- Thrust trace dampers defeat drive emissions detection.
- Titanium-and-glass construction defeats magnetic sensors.
- Ion scramblers defeat comms tracing.
- Hibridium cloak is double-blind and requires expert use of a passive-sensor periscope.
- Hibridium cloak CANNOT be active when entering or exiting hyperspace, or ship will take severe damage.
- Stealth mode requires significant speed reduction, or drive emissions might be detectable.
- Fairly fragile -- this is a fifty-metre yacht, basically a light corvette, with the shield strength and armor thickness of your average starfighter.
"What's your flavor: rusty, shiny, fast, sneaky, nasty, comfy?"
"Either fast and sneaky or fast and nasty. The second option would require the right kind of nasty."
"...how about both? Would both work for you?"
-J. Merrill and C. Hawk
As it happened, when the Wretched Hive got Madame Hawk's order for a custom ship, Jorus had an old Imperial cloaking device on hand. The Stingray-class Cloaking Package was a rare one, a modest evolution of obsolete but fully functional hibridium tech. If a pilot could learn to fly by periscope or intuition and deal with the double-blind effect, the Stingray would work as well as anything on the market. He crammed the old cloaking device into an equally old patrol boat and started optimizing. The resulting ship has a truly comprehensive stealth suite without hyper-expensive stygium or TibannaX or modern active stealth. No sensor in the galaxy can detect the Kestrelsong, period.
Asterisk. See, the tradeoff is the ship's absolute requirement for common sense. The periscope is vulnerable to detection if used wrong; the thrust trace dampers require situational judgment and a choice between secrecy and speed. Venture too close to another ship and you might bump into something, cause turbulence, or get picked up by a short-range Angel Eye. And, of course, a hibridium cloak CANNOT be active when entering or exiting hyperspace, or the ship may explode. Note also that, while the Kestrelsong can typically get where it's going faster than hyperspace detectors can coordinate a response, the ship's hyperspace passage is impossible to mask. The enemy will know there's a ship around, may even get a glance at it in the couple of seconds between reversion and cloaking, but won't be able to find it afterward.
Due to weak shields and a relatively flimsy hull, this ship should never be in combat. If necessary, however, it can use a pair of basic laser turrets to ward off pests. It can also sneak up or swoop in to deploy a few Jedi shadow bombs (Force-propelled, Force-guided, low-speed, low-visibility, extra-strength proton torpedos). While the ship is groundside, a pair of Merrill-Valkner Systems Engineering sonic emitters keep the immediate area clear of hostile animals. That's about all the Kestrelsong has going for it in any kind of a fight.