Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship The Itsukusk

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=11pt]
hakob-minasian-dreadnaught2.jpg
[/SIZE]

Out of Character Information
Intent: Submit the first ever Flagship since Factory 3.0
[SIZE=11pt]Image Source: [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Here[/SIZE]
Development Thread:
[SIZE=11pt]Weekend Treasure Hunt Infinity: At Last We Will Have Revenge[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Galactic Alliance Silver Faction Reward[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Intent: The board's first official flagship, and the result of a long story.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Who Can Use This: A GADF commander with GA FO approval.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Primary Source: Not influenced by any Chaos submissions.[/SIZE]

Production Information
[SIZE=11pt]Affiliation: Galactic Alliance [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Manufacturer: Ancient Sith Empire. Refitted by, or in consultation with, [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]SoroSuub[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Theed Palace Space Vessel Engineering Corps[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Aurora Industries[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Imperial Elite Shipyards[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Arceneau Trade Company[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], and [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Corellian Engineering Corporation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Model: N/A[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Modularity: No[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Production: Unique[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Material: Ancient Sith alloys, durasteel, duranium, solarium glasteel, turadium[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Technical Specification[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Classification: Supercarrier[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Length: 5000 meters[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Width: 4000 meters[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Height: 3000 meters[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Armament: 12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Long Range:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]100 [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Binary Fusion Ion Cannon[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] (1000)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]50 Heavy Long Range Turbolaser Batteries (1600)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]20 Heavy Warhead Launchers (200) (Typically loaded with HKD BVR Torpedoes or Assault Concussion Missiles)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]50 Heavy Energy Torpedo Launchers (500)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Short Range:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]50 Turbolaser Batteries (200)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Defensive[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]100 [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Ra Defense Turrets[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] (200)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]100 [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Witch Fire CIWS[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] (50)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]500 Heavy Laser cannons (500)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]300 Anti-missile octet (150)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Defenses: 18[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Ancient Sith alloys reinforced with modern heavy armour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Aegis Molecular Shielding[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Redundant particle/ray shield grids[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Hangar: 42 squadrons - 7 wings[/SIZE]

Maneuverability: 19
[SIZE=11pt]Speed Rating: 19[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Hyperdrive Class: 2 (Backup 10)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Special Features: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Solar Ionization Reactors[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]3x [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Colossus Reactor[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Crystal Gravfield Trap - detects all stealth vessels not protected by a gravitic modulator[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Angel Eye sensor suite - at very short range, detects all stealth vessels protected by a gravitic modulator[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Gravitic Amplitude Modulator (GAM) - can jam Yammosk battle coordination/communication functions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Long range command and control functionality - can coordinate operations sector-wide or farther[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Gravity well projector x4 - can interdict an area equivalent to the range of long-range capital weapons emplacements[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Long range tractor/pressor beams - can push/pull smaller vessels, proportional to their size, at distances comparable to standard capital weapons emplacements[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Repair and refit capability - can repair, rearm, refuel, and refit subcapital vessels (100m or smaller)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Modernized Ranger transceiver - can monitor, intercept, and decrypt subspace transmissions within a radius of 100 light-years[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Strengths: [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Supercarrier: The Itsukusk has a monumental series of hangars. Automated bays feature maintenance floors below and racks above. As fighters land they’re taken below or lifted up into the racks as required. The process is very rapid, enabling huge numbers of fighters to be launched or retrieved in a short space of time. Racks can refuel and re-arm within thirty seconds. Each of the eight hangars is shielded and guarded by internal weaponry. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Defensive Weaponry: Rather that flak cannons and quad lasers, the Itsukusk features slow firing, but highly accurate laser cannons and guided torpedoes. Composite beam lasers pick off missiles with precise aiming. The entire system is mostly automated, enabling the vessel to hold off waves of enemy fighters whilst still providing safe corridors for friendly fighters to launch and land.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Anachronistic Layout: The ship is difficult to board, and its crew would have a greater-than-usual advantage due to familiarity with the odd deck plan.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Prow defences: heavy forward shields and armour make this vessel highly resistant to long range assaults from the fore. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Long range burst damage: Powerful reactors allow this vessel to fire powerful long range volleys from Binary Fusion Ion Cannons and Energy Torpedo launchers[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Advanced Sensors: exceptional stealth detection capabilities[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Weaknesses:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Rush hour: The vessel is designed to deploy fighters, engage at long range and give orders whilst weathering the storm of return bombing runs. Rapid heavy cruisers that close her down and flank her in numbers are a weakness.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Structure: The hangar space and quick deployment are strengths, but leave the flanks of the vessel susceptible to kinetic bombardment when the shields have been breached. [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=11pt]Patchwork: Due to the hull’s mismatched materials, different expansion/contraction rates and tensile strength ratings may cause hull damage in certain circumstances. For example, coming close to a star or pulling emergency maneuvers may stress the hull more than normal.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Description: The starship [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Itsukusk [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt](Ancient Sith: ‘dream of chains’) was constructed in the days of the old Sith Empire. Its long hunt for a heretical prophet is the stuff of misremembered legend. What's known is that the vessel appeared in the present day at the Polis Massa asteroid belt. Boarded by Jedi and Mandalorians, the Itsukusk was ultimately captured by the Galactic Alliance, after a prophecy’s fulfilment resolved a mutiny situation. The Massassi and Sith crewers, once resettled or interned as necessary, proved invaluable in understanding the ship. The Alliance overhauled the spaceframe and modernized its cavernous hangars. The Itsukusk became a fully functional supercarrier.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As a slow carrier the Flagship was given a specific combat role. Rather than short range or consistent output damage, the vessel is equipped with long range weapons with slow recharge times. A single volley from the Fusion Ion Cannons and Energy torpedo launchers has the potential to cripple star destroyers. This allows the vessel to time its strikes and pick off specific enemy vessels at key moments whilst fulfilling a command role. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The ship’s secondary mission profile is sector-level and system-level support. The Itsukusk can repair and refit vessels up to light corvette scale. It can detect a wide variety of stealth vessels, jam yammosks, coordinate sector-scale operations, and monitor communications traffic. It can pull smaller vessels to safety and shelter, or repel nearby hostiles with its powerful pressor beams.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Although the refitted Itsukusk requires immense power, the vessel has no single high-grade reactor. Instead, several mundane, highly stable solar ionization reactors power the Itsukusk’s systems. Disabling, destroying, or overloading one will have no effect on the others. Additionally 3 Colossus reactors are used to generate power for the Energy Torpedo Launchers and Binary Fusion Ion cannons, dealing with the sudden bursts of energy draw from these systems. The Colossus reactors also absorb energy taken from the Aegis Molecular shields.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The commissioning of the Flagship marks the end of a great change for the Alliance, as they finish the slow transition from a resistance Force on the edges of the Galaxy, to a stabilising influence attempt to bring security to all the worlds within their domain. This is the first flagship commissioned by a major galactic power for years. With a full complement of hyperdrive capable fighters the Itsukusk is capable of bringing stability to an entire sector of space on its own. [/SIZE]

d4WS858.png

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Trextan Voidstalker"]

This is probably most notable as an exercise in overthinking the feth out of things. Regardless, here we are.

I intend to make the thought process behind my reasoning here as clear as possible, both for the purpose of transparency and in acknowledge of the fact that whatever my intentions, this is basically establishing a precedent for Flagships. Unlike with other types of ships there are no clear templates to follow, no metrics for numbers, no baseline. Sort of. I have instead extensively reviewed older unique 'event' ships and most of the more recent Battlecruiser-sized subs. These are listed below, in no particular order.

This ship has an armament rating of 12, backed up by a Turbolaser 'count' of 2,800, 70 Heavy Warhead Launchers, and 1,100 defense guns. It follows up with a slightly ambiguous 20 defense rating, and a staggering 42 squadron hanger, on top of a 19/19 speed/maneuverability.

The closest vessels in size are the Acerbitas and the SoD: The former sports 1,800 Heavy Guns, 170 defensive guns, and 50 warhead launchers, along with around 15 squadrons. The Acerbitas has not suffered the passage of time well, and can, I believe, be safely disregarded. The latter mounts 3680 guns, 145 heavy warhead launchers, 620 defense guns, and a 55 squadron hanger. It's also a 19/19. That's more up to snuff, I should think.

In some comparison, the Procurator-X, Barsen'thor, and Darr Itah sport around 2500 guns each, with similar or generally reduced amounts of heavy launchers, defense guns, and much smaller hangers. All made significant sacrifices in Heavy Warhead launchers in order to get an increased amount of other weapons. Then there's the Progenitor, which is basically armed with flashlights and bad vibes but brings 20 squadrons to the fight. 1v1 it could still probably beat the Acerbitas, though.

The Astral and Leviathan are harder to compare, but the conclusion here should be pretty clear. This ship is not comparable (for a variety or reasons) to any others on the board. I don't mean this to sound like it exceeds everything in raw power (though it may) but rather that it simply must be reviewed on its own merits and flaws. I'll break it down section by section.

Armament Rating: 12
Offensively this seems appropriate given the number of turbolaser equivalents. Similarly the Heavy Warhead count matches that of a Battlecruiser, and I think that the trade off here works. Defensively I think this ship may sport the largest armament we've ever seen.

Defense Rating: 20/18/16
Having a sector-dominating supercarrier be very heavily armored makes perfect sense, but the array of numbers is a bit confusing. If the flanks and rear are vulnerable enough to be a significant weakness, I would prefer to see the overall defense rating reduced.

Hanger: 42 Squadrons
Or 504 strike craft. Effectively two times the amount of the Progenitor-class. It appears almost grotesque, but is basically within bounds, I feel.

Special Features:
Of note is the extensive Stealth Detection suite, and four Gravity Well Projectors.

Strengths and Weaknesses:
The strengths are well defined and cover most of the bases, but don't touch on the incredibly utility that the CGT and Angel Eye suite add. As it stands, this ship cannot really be surprised by stealth. This is all touched upon in the description, though. For weaknesses the first is a reasonable assessment of the ships capabilities, but the other two both relate to overall structural integrity, albeit for different reasons.

Judgement:
The defensive armament strikes me as excessive, and I would like to see it reduced. Dropping the number of Heavy Laser Cannons to 500 would work, for example. This is mostly coming as a result of a gut feeling, there's simply no other ship that even approaches 1000 defensive guns.

I would like to see another substantial weakness here but I'm not convinced it's necessary. Instead, given the amount of emphasis of the inconsistent nature of the defensive plating, it would likely be easier to simply decrease the Defensive Rating to 18, and drop the directional ratings entirely.

The stealth detection tech and Gravity Well Projectors are significant enough to merit being added as a Strength, more because it removes what would otherwise be an intrinsic weakness than anything. This adds to judgement point two but doesn't otherwise change my thoughts as far as judgement.

Overall I think it extremely well-realized in concept and admirably balanced, and a suitable first Flagship for Chaos.

Oh uh, also please link the Angel Eye Suite and HKD BVR Torpedoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom