Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Handmaidens' Tale

AllianceDiscordIcon2_150x150.png

:// Operation Handmaiden //:
:// VALERY NOBLE //:
:// TO: Colette Colette Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania //:

Valery_Noble_Commission_-_Final-removebg-preview.png

"Good morning, Padawans.

While I'm going to continue bringing you both on assignments with me, I have a task that I'd like you two to handle together without my assistance. Princess Nyla of Hynestia Prime has been the target of serious but anonymous threats, and one assassination attempt was already stopped by alert guards. Her parents have contacted the Jedi for help because the planet used to have a Jedi outpost already, and their trust in us hasn't faded.

You two will be undercover there in the role of handmaidens, while her usual Royal Guard stays close. We're suspecting that another attempt will be made at the annual Gala hosted within the Royal Palace, so I'd like you both to be there and keep your eyes open.

If possible, capture the attackers and find out who is behind this. For questions or reports, please contact me directly. May the Force guide you both.

P.S. Cora, please make sure to help Colette dress up, do her hair, and her make-up. You two are expected to look the part."

"I promise that we can do something less…elaborate after this mission is done." Cora gave Colette an encouraging smile over her shoulder. They were both facing the mirror, with the blonde putting the finishing touches on her partner's ensemble. "Now suck in your stomach. This will hurt."

With one last forceful yank on the corset's string, she made a soft sound of approval from the back of her throat, and helped Colette work the bodice of her dress up over her chest. It was a simple yet elegant cut of flowing white fabric, edged with turquoise and gold that draped over one shoulder.

The door to the powder room slid open with a hiss, and Princess Claudia floated in. Their charge for the evening was wearing a gown made of the same fabric but far more extravagant, befitting of her royal status. Ruby red eyes assessed the pair of Jedi as they readied themselves, a slender finger twisting a lock of beautifully coiffed dark hair in thought. Scarlet lips parted in a soft birdsong of a sigh before curling into a disgusted sneer.

"I suppose that you two are…passable. A pity that the famed New Jedi Order wasn't able to send anyone more appropriate for this task."

Cora blinked and lifted a finger to protest that she actually did have on the job experience, but Claudia cut the Padawan off with a roll of her eyes.

"Please, like the pair of you brutes know anything about what it takes to manage a royal court. Your job is easy; keep me alive during the party. Do you think you can manage that, or is this simple task too difficult?"

Claudia drew a decorative fan from her bosom and released it in a flourish. "Perhaps that is my error. I should have asked father to make sure that they send a pair of attractive, capable Jedi Knights, not…" The Princess grimaced as if she'd caught the scent of something foul.

"…you."

With another delicate sigh, Claudia fanned her face and sashayed away. Once the door had closed, and with the Princess comfortably out of earshot, Cora turned to Colette.

"I understand why someone wants her dead."

Colette Colette

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

"Hmm?- Motherf-" Colette coughed. "Why the hell do you 'rich' stupid 'upper class' people do this to yourselves?"

It was at this moment that Colette had become more aware of her own ribs than she ever had before in her life. This corset thing was smothering her by compressing her own organs against her. She wasn't even sure if it was her ribcage or her spleen and liver that was choking her in this moment. It was like a diabolic torture device, and now Colette had to wear it all because of her, because of Valery Noble.

Oh there would be words about this later and they would be neither kind nor quiet. They might have been friend but not for long. The door opened and Colette was finally given a reason to think about something else, something that surely couldn't make this whole situation any worse?

WRONG.

Passable? Brutes? The condescending nature of this woman was about to make Colette erupt, but the dainty little princess with the pencilneck disappeared before Colette could get to that part.

"Slime-quenching daughter of a…" Colette tightened her hands into fists. "Someone should remind her how close to certain death she is without us around." The fancied-up tribal in a dress growled and turned back to Corazona. "What if we keep an extra measure of distance between us and her?"

"I wouldn't want to accidentally punch her lights out myself. By accident, of course."

"Colette."

There was a firmness to Cora's voice that edged on a reprimand, but it gave way to an empathetic sigh.

"She may be in need of an attitude adjustment, but our mission is to protect her from harm, not encourage it."

Even still, Cora couldn't deny how good it would've felt to put such a snide little thing in her place. The Ukatain may have had a haughty streak, but she couldn't recall ever being so rude to the help. Then again, if she had, would she have recognized it as such?

"Here." Reaching over to one of the sitting chairs, she retrieved a plush pillow and handed it to her fellow Padawan. "Scream into it, tear it apart, whatever helps you get it all out.”

Cora glanced toward the door where Claudia had been standing only moments ago.

"We've only got a few minutes before the gala starts, and at least one of us needs to stay close to Her Royal Snootiness."

Colette Colette

"If she wanted to stay out of harm's way she would have understood that we are the only ones who are reliably on her side." Colette said and picked up the indicated pillow. She had read something on the idea of catharsis and anger management through destruction once. It wasn't something she had done by choice as much as it was something that she had found while picking up other mandatory reading for her least favorite part of learning. That part obviously being reading.

Yeah, books usually sucked, but this one had actually been rather interesting. It said that,

"A study showed that sitting down and thinking it through is a more reliable way of calming down and moving on than random destruction to get the anger out of your system." Colette said and turned back to Cora. "So naturally…"

Colette tore a modestly small hole in the fabric to hear that all too liberating rip echo in the small servants' quarter. She put it down on the couch again and approached Cora once more in full to let the blonde check if the brunette, Colette, was good to go or not.

"I will protect her with most of my life." Colette said. "Even if I really don't want to. Don't you worry, Corazona."

And then Colette sighed in disbelief that she was even about to say what she was about to say.

"I'll stick by the princess, you can move around if you want to. There's no telling what would happen if one of the other guests tried to start talking about, I don't know, noble stuff like how much they love greed, and selfishness, and oppression."

Cora's eyebrows shot up so far that they nearly disappeared into her hairline as Colette's quoted a study.

A study.

That wasn't what she'd expected from the rough-and-tumble Padawan, but maybe Cor had been away for too long. Colette had grown, a realization that made Cora smile.

"As long as you don't punch her in the face. Or anywhere else, really." She agreed, guiding Colette to turn around so that Cora could ensure that her hair was secured in place properly by a bejeweled clip. "Just don't look her directly in the eyes. Royals hate that."

Turning Colette to face her this time, Cora inspected her own handiwork before nodding in approval.

"I know that I can get snooty at times, but if I ever act that bad, punch me."

Colette Colette

Colette raised a brow at Cora raising her brow. Was it really that hard to believe that Colette had forced herself to learn how to read boring texts during the time that Cora had been gone?

"Eye contact is good, got it." Colette said as Cora went over her makeup again. "At least if it keeps them away."

"If you had told me that before you went to Ukatis, I would have punched you square in the nose." Colette laughed. "You're a lot better now though."

The duo went about their way to meet with their ward. This might have seemed ordinary to some part of Cora, but to Colette it was all such a big waste. The amount of empty space that put on display that had somehow remained immaculate and pristine, free of dust, was enough space to house at least five different families. Needless to say it was a huge waste, and the fact that these people had no shame for it frustrated the tribal to no small degree, but at this point she was getting used to how selfish the galaxy could be at times.

As the duo approached their ward they were met with a stare and a scoff. Someone was clearly upset that they weren't watched by two muscled himbos in banana hammocks. Or well, so Colette would assume. It was easy to assume the worst traits from someone that you despised so badly. Sexism and objectification had a way of going hand in hand with each other, and this girl just seemed to tick seemingly every other bad box that one could imagine for a person's character.

"You were expected to attend my every need." The snooty princess huffed. "And I needed two strong guardians, and not whatever…" She motioned for Cora and Colette. "Whatever this is."

"We only want to make sure—" Colette tried to explain.

"You want nothing unless I ask if you want something." The punchable little brat answered and cut her off before Colette could say much of anything. "I am all that you want, I am all that you care about. Now stop talking, and start walking. You are to be seen, not to be heard."

Colette looked over at Cora with a clenched fist. The blonde would be able to see the way her eyes seemed to burn with an immense hatred and how her jawline shifted underneath the immense pressure from her teeth biting down on her tongue.

[ I am going to kill her. ] Colette mouthed at her friend. [ I am going to falking do it. ]

The real word she had said in place of 'falking' was open for interpretation.

Cora glanced from the screen, then to the typing bubble, then finally to Colette. The blonde's gaze was so intense that it could have almost been a glare.

"Wait, better? I was never that-"

She'd always endeavored to be polite to servants. Just because there was a natural order to things didn't mean that she had to be ru- oh.

At the very least, Princess Claudia was making her look like a saint in comparison. Cora couldn't deny the rising urge to put her hands around the beauty's scrawny little neck. In the process of tucking her holo-pad away, Cora's thumb absently swiped across the screen.

QZUnaZ4.png
Pin-Clipart-com-thumbs-down-clipart-5209622.png

"As much as I'd rather not, we should do as she says for now." The Padawan spoke in a hushed whisper, looping her arm around Colette's own as they fell into step several paces behind the Princess. Said royal was pointedly ignoring them, complaining about the guest list to another identically dressed handmaiden who kept silent and nodded to her Mistress in an appeasing way.

The grand hall was only a short walk away, the Princess and her entourage making their entrance through a pair of opulent double doors. After much ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the admittedly elegant figure Claudia had cut, the crowd returned to their mingling.

"I wouldn't doubt that she has many rivals." Cora murmured to Colette. "Attitude aside, anyone with power and status is inherently a target." Her eyes drifted from the Princess to the guests, noting the way a group of young women conversed behind their fans as they threw barbed glances to the woman of the hour.

Colette Colette

Colette looked at Cora with a deeply questioning stare. Not that bad? Really? Cora was one of the most superficial people that Colette had ever met, someone who was very sure that hierarchy of leadership had any kind of value. Of course, Colette had changed since then and seen the point of having at least some kind of structure, but… No. No, Corazona was definitely a better person these days.

And all it had taken was for her to murder her husband, get kidnapped, and then come back home again. They had already gone over Colette's own fear for her friend's safety in these times so there was really no point in picking at those scabs yet again. This was the time for bonding over a common enemy, someone that peeved them both but that they couldn't touch.

That enemy was, of course, the now infamous Claudia "Pencilneck" Who-gives-a-chit.

And so the duo followed their quarry-slash-ward with their arms hooked together as she dawdled in the spotlight, repulsively finding gratification in the feigned adoration of the crowd who otherwise despised her. Had it not been for the fact that the muted disdain they held for her, Colette would have genuinely figured it would have been a lot easier to find their would-be killer.

But nope. They had to watch after this pile of excrement as it slimed and slobbered its way down the metaphorical wall of so-called high society. As Cora and Colette ascended the stairs they were met with a few glances as well, albeit thankfully not as many as the princess. Well, at least not as many as Colette could notice.

She kept an eye on Cora to ensure that she wasn't enjoying the looks all that much. Actually, Colette would give her friend just a tiny little pinch and a somewhat satisfied grin. Their mind was on the mission after all since that was all that mattered.

"Any suggestions on how we go about this?" Colette asked and began to peer out amongst the crowds. "Are we still sticking to the plan where I sacrifice myself to be in her highness' presence, or have you seen anything else?"

The glances thrown their way were far less than what Cora was used to. Handmaidens, by default, typically were paid less attention than titled nobles.

It didn't irk her as much as it should have, but Colette's pinch earned the tribal a toothless glare. Being out of the spotlight was kind of nice, even if Claudia seemed to be swanning along and soaking up praise wherever she went, feigned or otherwise.

"I wonder if she's really enjoying this." Cora didn't need to incline her head towards the Princess, but she did so anyway. "Attention can be nice, but it her position, it can be hard to tell when someone's being genuine."

Indeed, many eyes in the room were following Claudia as she drifted effortlessly through the crowd. Despite her bad attitude, Cora felt a pang of empathy for the woman and their shared experiences. When everyone's attention was on you, they noticed little things that they wouldn't about anyone else.

Anyway.

"As long as you think you can survive her without drowning yourself in the punch bowl." Cora squeezed Colette's arm. "I'll mingle and see what I can find out."

For her part, Claudia was standing among a flock of sycophants. She sent a sharp glare towards her Jedi handmaidens before laughing sweetly along with something one of her faceless admirers had said.

Colette Colette

What to Cora was "not all that many" was to Colette an ocean of eyeballs all staring at her. She tried to meet each and every single one, but the lights made it difficult to discern who was who, and by the time she made it through the first few the moment was already over.

"Consolation prize, maybe." Colette mumbled after a quick search in the force. "She's clearly not happy, but there's no denying that she enjoys the attention."

Maybe it was just part of that childhood indoctrination. This girl had been raised to know that no-one around her would ever be truly authentic, same as Colette had been raised to be so incredibly aware that she was never going to have a family, much less a child of her own. Perhaps what Claudia really needed was something new and she just wasn't aware of it.

This sudden moment of insight was of course destroyed by the glare that Colette would receive no more than five seconds after it had dawned on her. She swallowed her anger and the lessons learned in favor of a warm fake smile and nod of her head.

"You do that, and I'll keep her head on her shoulders if I can help it." Colette let out a sharp exhale to ready herself for that particular pain and separated from her friend. "Try to find a motive if you can. I mean, beyond what you and I find to be obvious."

Colette's anger surged briefly as they found themselves on the receiving end of Claudia's sneer. Cora patted her friend's hand.

"You might not want to hear it, but you feign happiness as well as any blueblood." Her words were murmured and dry, perhaps even a bit teasing.

As they parted, Cora slipped into the crowd. Blending into the background, she'd make herself privy to delicate whispers and murmurs as she passed through the throngs of well-dressed guests.

"Finally." Claudia huffed, grimacing from behind the cover of her fan as Colette approached. "I was beginning to think that the pair of you were as a slow in the head as you are in your feet."

With a flourish of her fan, the Princess gestured to the opulent grand hall, festooned in all manner of decoration for the celebration.

"What do you think, Jedi? I'd imagine that a monk as spartan as yourself has never seen such finery, and probably never will again."

Colette Colette

"I'm sure I do…" Colette whined through yet another smile as Cora moved to leave. "Take care, stay in touch."

As her friend left it was almost like Colette could feel the environment grow colder. If not on the outside, then on the inside. She was in the lion's den and she was both the lion and the rabbit. Princess Claudia was in much the same position, except she was rather obviously whichever of the two that Colette was not.

"Yes, your ladyship." Colette said and felt her facade of calm crack almost immediately. "I have not once seen such a beautiful…" Polished rock of literally no value outside of its natural habitat. "Finery."

"You must be— No, you are very lucky to have such a thing."

In another end of the room, a blonde that would otherwise have been the very definition of the perfect fairy tale princess was walking around dressed as nothing more than a simple handmaiden, taking in the sights and sounds of a court that for once didn't have much to do with her at all. At least not quite as directly as usual.

"Did you hear about the king's latest scandal?"
"No, you simply must tell me."

Two ladies were embroiled in a heated gossip train, quite literally spilling the tea as the one who was slightly more 'rotund' than the other had to stop herself from getting to outraged and flummoxed by the implications this new information could have on the state of the kingdom, nay, the whole galaxy.

Of course, not that Cora would be able to hear more unless she acted fast. As out from the corner of her eye a rather notable old man seemed to ease his way into her line of sight as if to appear from her side in an attempt to start a conversation. He was old, the wrinkles and gray hair said that much. His mustache was as well-kept as his hair even though the latter was admittedly getting a bit sparse in recent years.

"I do say," He said and took a small swig from his glass of champagne. "You do strike a most daring visage, dear. I simply have to know your name."

"Oh! How foolish of me." He quickly scoffed and shook his head. "I am Lord Embersworth, at your service, but I am sure you already knew that Miss…?"

Claudia's face scrunched as she raised her chin, pointedly looking down at Colette through her nose. The intricately painted fan framed the lower half of her face as she spoke.

"Luck has nothing to do with it, Jedi. Some of us deserve the best simply because we are the best." Her tone was like curdled milk, irritated that she even had to explain such a fact to a servant. "Though, perhaps someone of your particular occupation wouldn't understand such a thing, given how you walk around in those horribly drab robes and spend your days meditating in chambers."

The Princess snapped her fan shut and rolled her eyes. "You should be grateful that we've garbed you in such fine clothes for this mission. They'll be the nicest thing you'll ever own, if you are even allowed that."

From the Princess' left, a young woman with corckscrew brunette curls approached the pair. "Ugh," Claudia scowled behind her fan. "That's Lady Banfeld, the little wretch. Do your job, and keep her away from me." The royal planted her hand in between Colette's shoulder blades and gave her a surprisingly strong push forward.

Cora remembered a time when she hosted events similar to this in the royal palace on Axilla. The dedication and energy that went into coordinating such a gala was something that she would certainly not miss, and it was surprisingly refreshing to not have eyes on her, tracking her every movement.

The last time she'd attended such a party had been on Thule, on the arm of a Sith Lord. Not one, but two guests had offered her a way out that night.

Her ears burned as she floated closer to a particularly juicy conversation regarding the king's scandal. Penchant for drama aside, it could have potentially been a lead – until her attention was stolen by a distinguished graying gentleman. Cora's gaze flitted from him, to the rotund gossip hounds, then back to the man.

"Of course, Lord Embersworth." Placing a hand over her heart, Cora feigned girlish gratitude as she dipped her head deeply. "I am Aliria, one of Princess Claudia's new handmaidens. Her Ladyship sent me to…" Tilting her head back upward, Cora's eyes landed on a servant bearing a tray of full champagne glasses. "…retrieve refreshment for her and her entourage." Smiling sweetly, she intercepted the confused young man and retrieved his plate. "Can I interest you in a glass, My Lord?"

Her eyes flickered back to the women and their scandal, using the flowing motion of her dress to take a step back, bringing her a bit closer and hopefully within hearing range.

Colette Colette

There was a brief moment when Colette felt her eye twitch with rage, but she powered through it until her feigned happiness could take the reins again. It wasn't unnoticeable, but when your ward didn't care to face you all that much there was no problem with it. Colette locked eyes with the one she was talking to for a brief moment before the spoiled brat turned back around to bark orders.

Colette turned around to watch as Claudia began to talk of this Lady Banfield only to be pushed in her direction and stumble straight into her.

"I apologize, your ladyship." Colette grunted and grabbed a hold of the poor woman before she could topple over to the floor. "The floor must have given way. It will not happen again."

"Can I, uh, help you with anything?"

And on the other side, with Cora…

"Aliria. A pretty name for a pretty gal." Emberworth looked at the glass in his hand and the one being offered from the tray. "I already have one, my dear girl." He said in a weak attempt to seem more dignified than he clearly was. "But yes, I would very much like a second drink."

The man downed his already half-full glass and put it down on the tray and picked up the new one with a slight hiccup and a cough.

"Nooo…" The thinner lady recoiled with dramatic flair. "You don't mean to say that…"
"Mhm, a bastard right under our nose!" The rotund one added. "To think we could have such a delicious morsel right here with us at this very moment."
"Oh Beatrice you sly fox. Surely you aren't considering…"
The rotund one waggled her brows and unfolded her fan to cool herself down.

"I say, this gathering has some good drinks." Lord Emberworth eventually said once he had downed half the other new glass for good measure. "Although far from as good as those found during the banquet hosted by the all too, heh, ironically named, Brewertons."

"Er, have you ever had the pleasure of attending one of their gatherings before, Miss Aliria?"

Lady Banfield, who couldn't have been much older than Claudia herself, let out a startled squeak as the handmaiden was pushed into her. "Oh!" She exclaimed when the Jedi righted her easily before she could fall. "No worries, dear. I was just…" Banfield craned her neck to try and look over Colette's shoulder. "Hoping to catch up with Princess Claudia. It's been ages since I've seen her! We've been friends since childhood, but since I've been married it's been hard to find the time to chat with her."

A few steps away, Claudia sneered behind her fan. Her expression flipped instantly to a sweet smile once Banfield finally caught her eyes.

"Say, I don't recognize you." Banfield looked Colette up and down with genuine curiosity. "Are you a new handmaiden? Where are you from, miss?"

Across the hall, Cora appeased Emberworth with a placid smile and a demure nod of her head. She restrained a grimace when the man chugged his drink.

How unsightly.

Cora kept her head tilted in the direction of the far more interesting conversation, doing her best to pretend that she was listening to whatever it was the man had to say.

Bastard? Morsel? What is she considering?

Blonde brows knit together, then relaxed as the old man went on. "Hm? Oh, I can't say that I have. I'm still relatively new at this. And-oh, I must be getting back to attend to the Princess." With both hands on the tray, Cora could only tilt her head in gratitude. "Thank you for the pleasure of your conversation, My Lord."

She began to drift away, slowly, making sure to take her time passing the two women as she did so.

Colette Colette

It broke the girl's heart to hear Banfield's plea. To think that this woman was being abandoned by Claudia after a lifetime of friendship. The make-pretend handmaiden frowned for a moment before she sighed and shook her head.

"I'm from…" Colette wasn't a liar, she had never been a liar. The closest she would come is just not saying anything at all. "Well, it's not relevant. I'm no-one. And sorry to say, the princess is asking that we keep an eye on how many people that come close to her at the moment. As her handmaiden, I think she wouldn't mind seeing you after the event is over however."

When I am not around.

On Corazona's end however…

"Hm? Could you speak a little more, uh, straighter, dear?" Embersworth seemed to sway just a little more on the spot where he stood. "Oh! Of course, I shan't keep you then. I know Princess Claudia can get very particular with her demands. Well, chip chip cheerio."

The duke began to stumble away and as a result Corazona could hear the two gossiping ladies much better.

"Why, I'm merely suggesting that if he were to find me in his room…"
"Nooo…"
"Yeeesss…"
"But what would you do?"
"Well, you know what they say…"
"No…"
"Bastard in the streets, bastard in the…"
"Beatrice!"
"Whaaaat? It's not my fault he could technically be second in line after Claudia if anything happens."
"Oooo, don't be talking like that. Eyes and ears everywhere."
"Like what? Did I say something?"
"For your sake, no. You didn't."

Cora's steady, languid pace kept her barely within the orbit of the conversing pair. She strained to hear what she could over the idle chatter around them, and continued to remain as inconspicuous as she could manage.

Bastard? Second in line? She's going to WHAT?

Certain words seemed to jump out at her, and it took a renewed sense of focus for her not to make a beeline towards Colette.

Banfield's brows knit together. "No-one? Surely you're not-"

"My Lady," Cora swept into the situation quickly with another deferent nod of her head. "Lord Emberworth requests the company of your conversation." Her gaze tilted to the graying gentleman who'd imbibed a bit too much.

"Oh, does he?" Banfield's eyes widened as she peered at the man from behind her fan. "I suppose that I can catch up with dear Claudia later. Have a lovely evening, and give her my best." With a gentle tilt of her head, the noblewoman made her way towards Emberworth, giving Colette and Cora a moment alone.

"I heard two women talking," The blonde mumbled lowly, leaning closer to her fellow Padawan. "They said something about a b…about a baauuhh…"

Pale cheeks flushed, and Cora cleared her throat.

"About the King having an illegitimate son who could be in line for the throne after…"

Her eyes trailed over to Claudia, who was laughing delicately at something a dashing young man had said.

Colette Colette

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom