Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Guardians of Cathar

There was a common phrase the elders told each Cathar cub and it stuck with them their whole lives.

The Blood Hunts were rare since the Kiltik nests were all but wiped out when the Mandolorian's ravished the land. Yet rumours of nests underground spread throughout Cathar. Elders were worried that if the Kiltik nests were left unchecked it would cause many problems later.

"To defeat the darkness out there, you must defeat the darkness in yourself." - Cathar Elder

Cathar Capitol City-tree, The Elders' Hut.

The room was filled with elders who sat around a small fire. They came from all around Cathar.

"If left unchecked, the backlash could be tremendous." A voice booked, it was hard to tell with the base of smoke lingering in the hut. Some elders grunted in approval. Aslan sat quietly. He loved to attend the Elders' meetings it gave him insight on how politics on Cathar was handled, even if it was a bunch of old people ranting about problems.

"I agree, but we can't go and force the people to clear out the caves themselves now can we? They're still licking their wounds from the Mandolorian's. The remains of both sides are scattered across the Veldt, Mandolorian and Cathar. We aren't going to send unwilling pride members." This time it was a woman's voice that sounded. Aslan looked over. The elder was one of the oldest.

A couple grunts of approval sounded. The rest of the elders hated the idea. An uproar sounded from the tent.

"There's no other way. Send in a group of able people to scout the caves." An elder shouted. There were cheers from other elders. The oldest elder held her hands up and the voices silenced.

"I know we have mixed opinions and we have to clear the caves, but that doesn't justify sending unwilling people who are afraid to step off the City-tree onto the veldt!" She said firmly, there was a slight purr at the end of the sentence.

Aslan grew restless, the elders preferred Aslan not to speak since he wasn't technically an elder. The elders began to bicker amongst themselves from the last comment the woman made. It grew annoying for Aslan, they weren't about to send any unwilling people into caves, even if the caves were empty.

Aslan let out a ferocious roar. It was one of a young Cathar, it had power and it commanded respect. The elders looked to Aslan with a mix of hatred and respect.

"Young cub what is the meaning of your interuotion, you shouldn't be disrupting a meeting between elders!" A male Elder said.

Aslan met the eyes of many elders and stood without a word. "Respected Elders of Cathar, you are who the people look to for advice! Yet you wish to damn them to caves in search of something that may not even be there?" Aslan paused and watched the eyes of each elder follow him.

"We aren't damning our species, just a select few!" An elder tried to say. Aslan growled and the elder quieted down.

"Damning any one of our people isn't right!" He roared. The elders looked guilty. Aslan looked into the fire.

"I will go.... Willingly. For the Blood trials weren't meant to be forced upon cubs...Or anyone, it was a rite of passage...It meant honour and purge our inner darknesses! Or did you forget your very saying? 'To defeat darkness out there, you must defeat darkness in yourself!" Aslan looked around. The elders nodded solemnly. "I will gather willing brethren." He said with venom in his voice. "Send no one else, we'll be back." He growled then left the room.

As Aslan left, the sun beamed on him through the carved windows and warmed his fur. Whispers could be heard from the elders. The young Cathar sighed as he looked around. The City-tree really was bustling. There were many Cathar that were doing work, mostly building more supports. Merchants sat in stalls selling various goods. Aslan put his paw to the walls and felt each carving.

For the supposed Blood Hunt, Aslan knew the perfect people to accompany him. There were three. Amvassa, Sinkar, and Shaar.

Amvassa was a brute of a Cathar, his armour was bulky and he wore a mask that blocked the top half of his face. The Cathar was a couple of years older than Aslan and he wielded a large axe. The Cathar preferred to take hits and dish out mass amounts of damage. While he wasn't necessarily good at social events, Amvassa would help out a lot of there turned out of be Kiltik nests underground. Amvassa is an outspoken loud party animal.

Sinkar on the other hand is a agile and only a few months older than Aslan. His frame was smaller than most Cathar, but he was quicker and damn good with a Katana. He kept his mane well groomed and grew his hair long. He usually prefers to get up close getting quick hits on his enemies before falling back and recalculating. He rarely speaks and keeps to himself.

Shaar is probably a decade older than Aslan, maybe even more. He trained Aslan in combat and manners. This particular Cathar stood with the demeanour of an old king, yet he held no such status. He used a broadsword in combat and prefers to protect those around him. Shaar gives advice to Aslan often, and knows much about the Veldt and Cathar. He would have been an elder, but he turned down the job because he wanted to train young cubs.

Aslan loved the feeling of the sun on his fur. He continued through the City-tree.

Amvassa was a mercenary who went off world to find work. Aslan sent him a transmission via the holonet:

Brother,
It has been too long since we've seen each other. Many the rumours of Kiltik nests under our very feet grow. The people...Our people are growing restless, we need to explore the caves, the people are unwilling this is why I ask Amvassa I know you will find it in your heart to come back home and help your people, for you have a heart of a Lion, and Cathar blood runs fiercely through your veins.

Please consider coming home​. ~Aslan of Clan Saa'ravad

Aslan smiled and walked around the City-tree more. The next two Cathar he had to ask were Sinkar and Shaar. Sinkar was the almost mute bodyguard to the young Cathar cubs. He kept a watchful eye on them with each trip to the Veldt. Shaar was not only mentor to Aslan, but mentor to any young cub.

Aslan walked towards the place where Shaar held his teachings, it was an open area with a giant mat where Shaar taught the cubs a range of things. With each step Aslan would notice nobody at Shaar's teaching area. The Cathar looked around only to find a younger male polishing the training weapons.

"Brother, where is Mentor Shaar? I have an important question to ask." Aslan said with the same amount of politeness he always spoke with. The young Cathar looked up, he seemed to be a couple of years younger than Aslan.

"Last I heard, Mentor Shaar and brother Sinkar brought the cubs down to the Veldt to teach the history of our people. I don't know their exact location but it was one of the larger battlesites. Many bones and scattered armour. If you hurry young Saa'ravad you may learn a bit more of our history." The young Cathar purred. Aslan grinned, when he was a little younger, he would love going down to the Veldt. "Thank you dear brother! I shall be on my way." Aslan said with a huge grin. He began to walk off to the lift that would take him down the City-tree.

"Each Cub under my teachings will know about our past...The war between the Mandolorian's...The slavery...Blood Hunts....The Jedi...All of it."

That's what Shaar had told him and Sinkar when they were cubs. The young Cathar stepped on to the lift's platform. Soon after he would power it on. Memories began to flood his vision. It was that of Mentor Shaar speaking:

"It takes courage to lead people....For they do not want a leader who is constantly fearful. We need a levelheaded leader. That's why we have elders at each City-tree." The memory was still fresh in his mind. It had been years ago, that didn't matter, he was eighteen now.

A few minutes later the lift slowed to a stop. The heat of the Veldt was instantly felt. Before he even left the City-tree. The smell of his fur being warmed filled his nose. He stepped off and looked around. His leather armour made the heat a little hotter than Aslan liked. The battlefield that the young Cathar spoke about was one where many Cathar and Mandolorians were slain. Even as he stepped off the lift, he could see litters of weapons, disgusted blasters and armour.

Some time later.

Aslan stepped onto the battlefield. It was as if the land was marred...wounded. up ahead Shaar stood arms outstretched speaking to the cubs. Off to the side Aslan would notice Sinkar, the Cathar's silent gaze followed Aslan with each step. As he got closer Shaar would notice. Shaar would begin to grin widely as his attention turned to Aslan. Soon the cubs would all look back.

"Ah Aslan!....Oh Cubs, this is Aslan Saa'ravad, he was a former student of mine along with Sinkar." He laughed. Aslan stepped closer and embraced the dark furred Cathar. When they released Aslan looked around.

"So tell me young Saa'ravad, what brings you down to the Veldt? Come for a history lesson?" The eldest Cathar asked. Sinkar was too busy watching the skyline to listen in on the conversation.

"Actually Mentor Shaar, I thought I could share my own." Aslan said with a bright smile. Shaar nodded and stepped aside. Aslan looked into the cubs' eyes.

"Brothers, Sisters. Long before the Mandolorian blight, there were tests of honour. They were called Blood Hunts. The thing about these Blood Hunts were they didn't just give you honour, it cleansed you of darkness. The elders tell every Cathar from their birth till to death this..." He pointed up to the sky. "To defeat the darkness out there, you must defeat the darkness in yourself...The only way to do that is through the Blood Hunts...The clearing of Kiltik nests. The Mandolorians all but wired the nests off the face of the planet, taking away these tests of honour...Our rite!" He paused. "Rumours are vast... Saying that nests could be underground, many have heard that the elders wish to send the unwilling to the caves. I am here to tell you, no unwilling shall go! You and the people of Cathar are safe." He looked to Sinkar, the Cathar's eyes met Aslan's.

"That is why I ask. Mentor Shaar, Brother Sinkar, will you accompany me to the caves?" Aslan's voice was soft. Sinkar stared down Aslan and began to walk towards him menacingly as if he were about to stab him. The cubs watched quietly, but Sinkar embraced the bigger Cathar in a hug. A low growl of approval was heard. Both Aslan and Sinkar looked to Shaar for his answer.

He grinned widely. "How could I say no to my former students?" Aslan laughed at his mentor's response.

"Shall we go back to the City-tree? We need to get the cubs home and notify the elders." Aslan said. Shaar nodded and motioned for the students to get up. As a group they made their way back to the lift.

"So you do remember a bit of what I've said...." Shaar said. Aslan smiled. "Of course mentor, i always listened to your teachings...Sinkar...Not so much." Aslan said with a chuckle. Sinkar let out a low growl as they continued to the platform with the cubs.

The lift brought them up to the City-tree, Aslan always loved the view. The sunset on the Veldt was beautiful, the ground stood quietly watching the sunset. The cubs were all but quiet. Soon the lift came to a stop.

"Alright cubs, head home, your mentor for the next few days will be Athraad." Shaar said. The children let out low growls as they walked to their houses. "What?" Shaar asked confused. Aslan chuckled. "Shaar, you know Athraad is hardcore, he is definitely one of the strictest mentors on Cathar." Aslan said. Sinkar nodded and Shaar laughed. "Only because you two were the worst students on Cathar!"

Aslan let out a laugh of his own. They began to walk to the Elders' meeting tent. Suddenly Aslan was practically picked up and bearhugged. "Aslan! Brother!" It was a booming voice, it belonged to non other than Amvassa, the burly mercenary a large axe was fastened to the back of his armour. "Alright alright! Amvassa let go!" The Cathar said between laughs. He was soon dropped.

"I'll admit, when I sent the message I wasn't expecting you to actually come." Aslan said. Shaar and Sinkar stood amazed Amvassa swore he'd never come back to Cathar. He fought with the elders too much, and was always getting into trouble.

"I may have my disagreements with the elders, but Cathar is my home and to her people i am sworn." The bigger Cathar said.

Aslan nodded, he respected Amvassa, so did Shaar and Sinkar, it took guys to come back home after vowing to never come back.

They spoke for another few minutes before finally heading towards the Elder tent.

Smoke was apparent along with chatter before they even got to the tent. The four Cathar: Aslan, Amvassa, Shaar, and Sinkar were starting to meet with the elders. Aslan pulled back the tent flap so Shaar could enter first followed by Sinkar, Amvassa, and Aslan. The tent went quiet as the four Cathar took places around the fire. A male Elder was the first to speak.

"Aslan! You dare disrupt the meeting yet again? Who are those men with you I demand answers." Aslan nodded without a word. The chattering died down. "Brothers, Sisters, these three warriors you see next to me are the ones who have volunteered to gather information about the Kiltik nest rumours." Aslan let his voice due down.

"But who are they!" This time it was that of a younger woman who spoke. Aslan looked in disbelief. "Family! Family! Do you not recognise our very own blood? Look closer for these are our brothers. Our kin." Aslan sighs. "Sinkar Fenaard, the guardian to the cubs, he watches the children, makes sure no harm is done." He paused as the mummers began. The Elders would whisper to each other about how protective Sinkar was with the cubs. "Amvassa Avraad-" Aslan was cut off by shouts.

"What is he doing here!" Was the main point of concern. Aslan sighed and held his hand up. He waited for the crowd to silence before continuing. "While Amvassa does not agree with the actions taken by the council of elders, he is still Cathar, and is loyal to his home." Aslan said fiercely. Amvassa nodded but kept quiet. He knew better than to speak at the Elder meetings, 'lest a fight break out. "And finally Venaraad Shaar, mentor to cubs and men." He smiled. The elders looked to Shaar. Shaar gazed into the fire.

"I am disappointed...You the elders would think so selfishly. Were we not oppressed by the Mandolorians? Isn't that enough? Yet you wished to send the unwilling to some wild goose chase and maybe to their doom? When the elders formed this council, it was to benefit the people of Cathar by giving them a voice. It doesn't work if you disregard them!" The mentor said. The elders looked guilty. They hung their heads. Shaar looked to Aslan.

"We four will venture into the caves at dawn, no other before us...No one will follow us. We will bring news soon." That was all Aslan said. He stood up, bowed and left the tent, as did the others.

The elders sat in silence.

Aslan went to the edge of the City-tree. He looked over the vast plains of desolate landscape. Shaar stood next to him. Their manes flowing in the wind. "What if there turns out to be nests in the caverns underground?" Aslan asked a bit fearful. Shaar let out a roar to dispel Aslan's negative attitude.

"Ah young Saa'ravad, you aren't a cub anymore, yet you have much to learn. Take heart my young brother if there is nests then the Blood Hunts can begin again. We will have honour... Cleansing our darkness is important! You listen to the words of the Elders, can you not recite the quote?" Shaar asked as he looked at the vast expanse with Aslan.

"To defeat darkness out there, You must defeat the darkness in yourself. That's what the blood Hunts are for." Aslan said. Shaar grinned widely and shook Aslan by the shoulders. "Then why are you nervous, you do a great deal for our kin." Shaar said.

Aslan didn't respond. Shaar smiled. "You've grown into a fine young man, the Elders love you, the people of this City-tree love you, I wouldn't be surprised if you became some sort of leader." Shaar chuckled. This made Aslan grin. "Okay okay you win old man, I'll stop being gloomy....now, where are Brothers Sinkar and Amvassa?" Aslan asked as he turned around. "They are preparing for tomorrow, then getting sleep, you should do the same." The mentor said as he walked off. Aslan stood silently before walking to his home.

The next morning Aslan was up before dawn. He strapped on his armour and fastened his sword on. Then made his way to the platform. Aslan smirked as he approached the lift, like always Sinkar was there first. He let out a short roar as Aslan approached. Aslan began to laugh. "Always the one to show up early to the party brother!" Aslan hugged Sinkar and rustled the male's hair.

Sinkar playfully growled. Aslan was used to it, Sinkar never learned Galactic basic, he only knew what he picked up from Aslan. Of course Aslan and his friends understood Sinkar. Sinkar roared softly as Aslan let go. "You don't have to be a baby about it." Aslan said with a grin and a low growl was heard from Sinkar. Aslan was about to say something when Amvassa picked up Sinkar from behind the bigger Cathar began laughing. "Gotchu now Sinkar, see if you and your nimble body can escape this!" Amvassa said with a hardy laugh. Sinkar let out a troubled roar. Alan couldn't help but laugh. "Oh don't be like that sourcat!" Amvassa teased as Sinkar struggled. Sinkar growled and continued to struggle. "Say it!, Say it! Sinkar." Amvassa said. Sinkar panted softly. "D-rdown!" Sinkar struggled to say, it had a mix of growling in it. Amvassa dropped him and Sinkar growled. "Amvassa, you know he doesn't like that," Aslan spoke up. Amvassa laughed. "Muzzle it Aslan, you found it funny, plus he doesn't care." Amvassa grumbled.

Alsan couldn't​ deny it. He looked to Shaar and smirked. "Brother! Lighten up." Sinkar growled. Immediately a chuckle was heard from behind the trio. "You all need to lighten up, yet remained vigilant, today is the day we search the caverns for Kiltik nests." They all turned to see Shaar and a female human. "Brothers, this is Xera, she heard of your intention and asked to tag along." Aslan looked her up and down. Sinkar stared at her with melted eyes. And Aslan instantly knew he fell for her. "Can she fight?" Aslan spoke up. "I can fight, but can you keep up?" The woman said. Shaar held his hand up. "Xena here is a mercenary from Corellia." Shaar clarified. Aslan went silent for a bit.

"Well met Xera, I am Aslan, this big guy over here is Amvassa, and the brooding growler over there is Sinkar. You already met the old man." Aslan stated with a grin. Shaar chuckled. "This old man can still shave your fur and embarrass you in front of the ladies." The older Cathar joked. Xera smirked, she was about the same size as Sinkar, and she had dual blades fastened to her hips.

"Well aren't you guys a colourful group?" She said as she stepped onto the platform. Her hips swayed with every movement. Amvassa chucked and leaned over to Sinkar. "Gawk anymore and she'll think you have a staring problem." He whispered to Sinkar. Sinkar growled softly then looked away, clearly annoyed.

"So Aslan, what is your role here in the capitol? Shaar said Amvassa is a Merc and Sinkar is a bodyguard to the cubs. He never said anything about what you do." Xera spoke up purring as she spoke. "I am" Aslan said simply it seemed as if he was pausing, but that was it. Default tilted her head. "You are?...You are what?" Xera asked for clarification. Aslan smiled and looked off towards the Veldt. The sun was just peaking out and it's rays warmed the earth it touched.

"I just am. I have no specific role, I sit and listen to elders bicker, I watch the children learn, I wander the Veldt aimlessly." He sighed as he looked up at the sky. Shaar sighed as well. "Saa'ravad is almost like a guardian, that's why he felt so strongly about the Kiltik nests." Shaar touched Aslan's shoulder. The lift came to a halt at the base of the City-tree.

Amvassa grinned as he patted his sides. "Alright lads, check your weapons now...Don't want anything wrong if we end up facing Kiltik's." Amvassa checked his slugthrower that hung on his belt. Sinkar checked his Katana and his blaster rifle that hung parallel on his back. Shaar fastened his broadsword to his back and grinned. Xera pulled her dual blades and gave them a few thrusts. Aslan touched the sword at his side. "And what would you have done if we forgot anything? We'd have to go back up the lift!" Aslan grinned as he stepped off the platform and onto the terrain underneath.

"Aye, but you didn't...So it doesn't matter." The bigger Cathar stated in a gruff voice. Shaar took out a holomap and hilighted their position. "We are here, and the cavern entrance is about a days travel away. We don't know how vast the cave networks are so stay close to each other." Shaar said. Soon the map was put away. "Sinkar, care to lead the way, you've traveled out here more than me." Aslan said as he looked around, the smaller Cathar took point and began to lead the group.

"A human on Cathar...It's been a while. So tell me what are you doing on Cathar?" Amvassa said with a wide grin. The masked woman let out a dry chuckle. "I came to Cathar to become a merchant." The woman said as she trekked on. "A merchant?" Aslan asked as he followed close behind Sinkar.

"Yes, I've traveled the galaxy a bit and earned enough salvage to sell. I figured Cathar would be a nice place to start." Xera said as she took up the rear.

"Well you've seemed to have caught young Sinkar's eye." Shaar said with a grin. Sinkar let out a low annoyed growl and Xera giggled. "If it's any consolation I think you're pretty cute." Xera said as she kept her eyes peeled. Amvassa laughed and it earned another growl from the smaller Cathar. "Alright calm down all of you. We aren't even close to the cavern and you got Sinkar all worked up." Aslan said with a smile.

"Aslan is right, being worked up in battle is never good." Shaar said. They continued on as the sun rose the heat began to become apparent.

The group would eventually set up camp for the night. Xera sat on the trunk of a tree she put her hair into a ponytail. Sinkar stood by a tent starring at her silently. Amvassa sat by the fire, making sure the flames stayed in control.

Off to the side of the camp Aslan stood. Listening to the the sounds of the Veldt. A voice would fill Aslan's ear.

"Keeping watch?" His old mentor would ask. Aslan let out a small chuckle. Shaar sighed as he stood next to Aslan.

"I'm worried Mentor. What if the Kiltiks turn out to be more than a rumor? What if it's worse than before. What if-" Aslan's voice was cut off by a growl.

"Are you a cub?" Shaar's voice was full of irritation.

"Remember your history boy. The Blood Trials were a right of passage for our kind." Shaar scratched his beard. His paw resting on his chin.

"The Kiltiks are the way we cleanse ourselves Vara'shaad. We need this! The people of Cathar need it!" His mentor boomed.

Aslan nodded. "Thank you for reminding me my mentor. I just have cold feet, bud for the people of Cathar I will come through. Killtik or not." Aslan said with a fire in his eyes.

"Good, now go and spend time with our companions, I'll keep my eyes on the Veldt." The mentor said.

Aslan bowed before walking towards the camp. He made his way to the fire and sat next to Amvassa.

"Brother, we may die tomorrow." Amvassa said as he peered into the fire. Aslan looked to the fire as well.

"If we die, it means our darkness has overwhelmed us brother. Tell me. Why do you disagree with the council?" Aslan asked as he stoked the fire.

Amvassa sighed, his bulky armor shifting.

"It's a long story Aslan, but I will tell it..."

Amvassa's Story:

Amvassa could hear the shouting of the elders as they yelled at his father. He stood outside of their gathering room. He listened as best he could.

"You have no right to talk to the Cubs and fill their minds with the idea of traveling through the Galaxy and making a name for themselves!" An elder roared as he slammed his paw on a table.

Amvassa flinched.

Amvassa's father was the local blacksmith, he Forged the weapons for the warriors in the city tree. Lately he'd been talking to people of the wonders of the Galaxy.

"The people can't be held down!" Amvassa's father said with a growl.

The elders roared back. Many different elders spoke at the same time. But one voice rose above the rest.

"We closed ourselves off to outpriders for a reason!"

Amvassa grew angry at that. That's not the way to do things. He wanted to go in there and share his thoughts but he stopped himself.

"We closed ourselves off because you were scared of another takeover. But that happened years ago." Amvassa's father said with a roar.

The elders scowled at the Cathar before them. They didn't appreciate the man challenging them.

"That may be so but the scars on the inside remain." An elder said.

"So you'd damn our Cubs to a life of solitude here?" Amvassa's father asked. The elders went silent. Amvassa's father stood in the center of the room.

"We are all flawed, but you cannot make this mistake. It will not save the people."

Elders began murmuring. Then one finally spoke up.

"Enough, We had you brought here to face judgment. We stood by long enough. You are officially exiled to the Veltd. You may not set foot in a city tree ever again."

PRESENT DAY:

Amvassa looked to Aslan. "After they said that they escorted my father to the lift and sent him out. Couldn't even see us before he left." The large Cathar said

"The elders are flawed Amvassa. They are stuck in the past. They do not realize their people are in trouble. They have good intentions but do not go about executing their beliefs in the right way." Aslan said. The large Cathar sighed. He agreed with Aslan which

"Yes, but at what cost ... The people."

Aslan understood where Amvassa was coming from. He didn't like the council for exiling his father. But it was more that that. He didn't like the oppressive nature of the Council. Even if they were some of the most prominent figures in the city trees.

Aslan look into the bigger Cathar's eyes. "Brother, the people are smart, they know the ways of the council are flawed. They want change, the elders will be forced to give it soon." Aslan said as he rose from his seated position.

"I shall take my leave Amvassa." Aslan looked to Sinkar, who'd been standing by one of the tents. Aslan walked towards him. Upon reaching Sinkar, Aslan smiled.

"Ready for tomorrow Brother?" Aslan asked with a slight smile.

A series of growls and roars were heard from the smaller Cathar.

Aslan laughed Sinkar was ready. Aslan looked to the sky and smiled. "You know brother, never in my wildest dreams did I think we were ever going on the Blood Hunt. I didn't think we'd ever be let off the city tree." Aslan said with a laugh.

Sinkar let himself laugh too. "Rrrre-rem-rremembur?" Sinkar asked in broken basic. Aslan looked to Sinkar, a smile present on his face.

"Yes I do brother....I'm glad we realized that our people come first." Aslan said.

Sinkar nodded as he looked back to the woman on the fallen tree.

"Don't stare too hard brother, you might hurt yourself." Aslan said as he patted the smaller Cathar's shoulder. A small growl would leave Sinkar's throat as Aslan walked off. Aslan made his way into his tent. He unlaced his armor and took off his sword.

He then went to his cot to sleep. Tomorrow would be a long day.

Aslan awoke the next day. The Veldt heat was instantly felt. He began to strap on his armor and weapons before stepping out of his tent.

"So the kitty is finally awake?" Xera said with a grin.

Aslan smiled. "Ah Xera a pleasure to see that you are still with us." Aslan said as he shrugged off the woman's attempt at a jab.

Aslan walked to Shaar who was looking at the map. There was a cave entrance not too far away. Aslan smirked as the group gathered around the Catharian mentor.

"So the cave is not too far, the entrance was blocked years back." Shaar said.

Amvassa growled "Mandolorians." He spit.

Aslan nodded. "We'll clear the blockage and venture the cave."

Aslan looked to the vast Veldt. Towards where the cave would be. Aslan looked to the others. "We have to get going." Aslan said as he began the rest of the trek. "Make sure you have everything. Make peace and remember cleanse your darkness."

Soon the group would be at the sealed entrance of the cave. Huge rocks blocked the path ahead. Aslan looked to Xera who reached into her pack and revealed explosives.

"We need to clear this quickly and figure out if the rumors are true." She said.

Shaar looked to the sky. "If they are, the Blood Hunts can begin again..." His voice trailed off.

"Hopefully." Amvassa said as he spit to the ground.

"Then people will willingly go...not be forced. The elders are out of control." He continued.

Aslan sighed. "Vasa. The elders are people of Cathar like you and I. They do what they think is right. Though I do not always agree, they have been here longer than we." Aslan said as he checked his sword.

"At any rate as soon as the dust settles we shall enter....Xera you ready?" Shaar said.

Xera nodded as she moved away from the entrance. Then set off the charges.

A huge explosion expelled the large boulders from the caves entrance.

"Okay follow me closely, the caverns are vast and have many networks all across Cathar." Shaar said as he looked towards the cave.

Shaar led the group into the caves. Xera turned on a few flashlights that we're attached to her vest. Shaar held a torch and began to speak.

"The kiltik prefer to hunt at night...they'll be caught off guard." Shaar said. Sinkar growled. Aslan nodded.

"Sinkar's right. We can't be caught off guard and underestimate them, there'll still be a good amount active." He stated as he continued to follow Shaar.

"How much farther do you think we'd have to go?" Amvassa asked impatiently. Xera scoffed. "Getting tired big guy? Too bad. Judging by the tracks...they're dry, it's gonna be a few more miles I feel." Xera said.

Aslan smiled. "Ever observant dear." He said.

The Cathar were a proud people, having the Blood Hunt back would be a great morale boost to the planet. Aslan chuckled at the thought.

Amvassa growled. "The elders wanted to send the unwilling here? How dare they, do they have no boundaries? They look to damn the people of their city tree?" Amvassa nearly roared.

Shaar stopped. "Look Vasa, I get it you're upset, but they are our kin. How many times has Aslan said that they are flawed?" Shaar paused.

"Hopefully if the Blood Hunts return they will come to their senses." He continued.

Amvassa snorted. "Ha I do not hold my hopes to that. There needs to be change!"

Aslan sighed, he didn't completely disagree.

Xera coughed. "Look, I don't know much of how you Cathar do things but we should get moving." Xera said as she passed past the three Cathar with Sinkar in tow.

Shaar sighed. "She's right. We'll talk after we assess the situation."

They continued through the endless twists and turns of the Underground network.

Back at the Elder Council Meeting:

A dim fire in the center of the council chambers lit the room.

An older elder sits quietly, her paw running along various scars on her cane, in her mouth a pipe burning some local plants that were supposed to calm. Around her other elders argue about the group led by Saravaad Aslan. Her wrinkled face determined as chaos errups around her.

"We need to send another group! It's been too long!" One elder shouts.

"We aren't about to send another group. Unwillingly. It happened before, they never came back!" One yelled in opposition.

"I say they're cowards, they probably ran off to some Merc clans on the Savana." Retorted an elder.

The old elder had enough of the petty squabbling. She slammed her cane down to silence the room. Slowly bringing her paw up until all the elders were quiet. She let out a long sigh, clearly the arguing had taken a toll on her.

"Lady Whitemane?" One of the elders asked.

Lady Whitemane slowly rose, her frame feeble, yet she carried herself like a young Cathar.

"You underestimate your own. Do you forget who is amount the group that went?" Lady Whitemane paused, she puffed out a bit of smoke as she walked to one of the city tree's carvings.

He paw gently graced each carving, until she landed on one of a large Cathar.

"Rotava father of Amvassa. Who was once The best blacksmith on all of Cathar. Before we the council exiled him. Amvassa is a great warrior. Only due to the fact that he harbors a hate for us the council. " She sighed as she moved to another carving.

"Sinkar, son of Sinbak, mighty protector of elders, his son now protects our very lifeline, our kin. Do you think he protects them only to see them get sent to the caves unwillingly?"

The old Cathar moves to yet another carving. This one is of a Cathar who is instructing Cubs. She smiles.

"Shaar Redclaw. You all know him well. He is the mentor to most in this very city tree. Tales of him speak across Cathar quickly. He is the very one who trains every cub and warrior. He declined a position as an elder to continue his work. Would you think he'd send cubs and warriors to their deaths unwillingly?" She looked to the elders. They stayed silent.

She walked to the fire and threw powder into the flames, plumes of smoke colored orange filled the room.

"Aslan. The lion with more courage than most. He grew up but a simple beggar. Do you think that held him back? No. He rose through the troubles and forged a path not many walk. He has a deep care for the people of Cathar and wouldn't want to see us: the council, unwillingly send our kin to their dooms. He may be young but he has the heart of a leader." She smiled as she looked into the flame.

"It's time to stop all this bickering, the council was formed so all the city trees could unite and make decisions for the people, we lost sight of that, looking only to ourselves and how we felt. Not of others."

"Go...this has given you all much to think on. Go back to your city trees. I have a foul taste in my mouth. I can't stand to see you." She said as she killed the fire.

She walked to a window and sighed.

"Change is coming...is this good or bad..."

Aslan panted softly as they continued through the tunnels, soon the stench of blood filled his nose. Sinkar smelled it too,

"Wait what's that?" Xera pointed her light to a group of decaying Cathar bodies.

"Hells." Shaar breathed. Amvassa roared in disapproval. "The council and their tricks."

Aslan got closer to the bodies.

"Gods. We must take them back. They must've died lost." Aslan touched each of the bodies with a heavy paw.

"For now we have to continue on. We will be back for them." Shaar said as he took one last long look at the bodies and stepped forward.

Soon the smell of decaying flesh would fade and the group would find themselves in a cavern. In the distance the sound of shuffling was heard.

"I think we hit the jackpot." Xera said. "Hopefully this is good." Aslan said cautiously.

That was a few days ago...

Now Aslan stood outside of the cave, Shaar and Sinkar stood next to him, they all were silently, at their feet, a group of bodies lie. Amongst them, Amvassa and Xera.

Aslan sighed, though the Blood Hunts could begin again, it was at the sacrifice of good people. Shaar spoke up.

"They let their darkness overcome them Saa'ravad, Amvassa couldn't get over his hatred for the council and his resentment for his father being exiled. Xera...Xera we didn't know her well enough to say." Shaar glanced to the bodies.

"We should give them peace Brothers" Aslan said.

Sinkar let tears dampen his fur. "Peace..." He agreed.

The group then made pyres and set them aflame burning the group of bodies. Aslan gave a small smile.

"Rest brothers, sisters....thank you for risking your lives..." Aslan said as he looked the the others.

"We must begin our journey back..." Shaar said with a somber face. The two other Cathar nodded and followed as they made there way back to the city tree.

A Few Days Later...

As the three opened the doors to the Elders chambers, it was nearly empty, the only one in the room was Lady Whitemane. She sat in front of the fire and puffed her pipe. She didn't even look back as the three entered.

"I see not all of you return." She stated quietly as the group sat around her. She let out a sigh.

"Loss is a part of life my brothers. Grow from it, keep the memories of your kin with you, that will ground you." Whitemane said.

Aslan nodded. He looked into the fire, he didn't want to talk, he didn't want to even be there.

"Shaar, Sinkar, go home, rest, take your time, I must speak to Saa'ravad alone." Whitemane said. The two Cathar got up to leave without a word.

Whitemane turned to Aslan. "It isn't your fault my cub. Tell me what you're feeling, what you're thinking."

Aslan sighed as he looked to Lady Whitemane. She was always there for him, he felt comfortable around her, a tear seeped into his fur.

"Lady, I'm angry, saddened, hurt...I'm lost." Aslan shook his head, more tears soaked his fur.

"The amount of Cathar in those tunnels, too much, what we're the council thinking? They were all unwillingly sent. They were not Outpriders. They were our kin" Aslan roared with frustration.

"What were you thinking? Oh this group didn't return so now let's send another...THATS NOT WHAT TO DO!" Aslan yelled. Whitemane swiftly struck Aslan across the face with her cane.

"Do not blame the actions of a group of old council members on me. I am not the deciding vote Aslan. You know that."

Aslan rubbed his face with his paw. "S-sorry Lady Whitemane, I just got worked up. There needs to be some changes, we can't keep running Cathar to the ground, the council was supposed to help, but I see it's failed." Aslan said.

Lady Whitemane agreed. "Yes, change, but what do you suggest?" The elder Cathar asked with a sly grin on her face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom