Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Graveyard of Giants

Jakku
The journey from Voss had been relatively long; Jakku wasn't exactly right next door, after all, and that left plenty of time to get acquainted. Kyra told her all about her travels, about her work as a salvager, and all the things she had seen. In turn she had listened to anything her Jedi friend had chosen to share.

Soon enough though the desert world was upon them, and Kyra turned to grin at her newfound friend. From space it looked a pleasant orange hue, and to be honest down on the planet it didn't look all that different.

"Welcome to Jakku, Steph. Ready to go find some Giants?"

She still hadn't revealed what the Giants were. Still didn't want to ruin the suspense, the surprise.

Once Steph responded, the ship shot down toward the planet below, allowing all the sandy, dust colours to appear through the transparisteel viewing port. A world come to life, visually devoid of life and yet... Beautiful all the same.

Stephanie Swail

Look what they've done to my dream
During their journey, Kyra shared her story so far, and so Stephanie shared hers.

The failed Republic experiments to enhance ordinary folk like her into stronger, leaner soldiers to battle the Sith. Retaining some of her abilities, she also lacked others. So, really, she was a failure.

The shield she crafted in her training, bearing Republic colours that she called the ‘Shield Of Light’ to protect herself, and others, from danger.

The voyage to Midvinter and finding the woman called Grace, and to Voss and Thurion, and the Firemane establishment. Trying to cram as much as she could, before failing to make progress in the Silver Jedi and Fireman, and in turn, being a failure again.

Failed as a soldier, failed as a Jedi and anything else. A failure.

--
Wide eyes and a clap of the hands signalled her eagerness to descended, and she looked out at the giant orange ball as Kyra expertly took them down, showing interest in various territories or sectors pointed out to her.

"It’s perfect – a world away from nowhere, devoid of much life. The perfect place to revel in the Force of Jedi long departed to keep it alive out of the enemies eye."

She craned her head over the viewport to see the planet in full bloom. Clear skies and orange deserts. Small villages, a few large towns. The odd beast trundling over the dunes. Moisture farms. Wrecks of crashed speeders and fighters. Mountain ranges that were shaped like crescent moons.

This was incredible.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

By now Kyra was certain that their definitions of Giants were entirely different. Steph kept mentioning Jedi, well... There were no Jedi to be found on Jakku. It wasn't a world they had ever really touched, left to its own devices. Best way for it, in truth.

Would she be upset with Kyra when she found out the truth? Would she hate that the junker had kept such details from her?

The sight of that SSD... Of the other ships around it... No. Nobody could ever hate another for showing them such a magnificent sight.

It was a ludicrous thought, one she banished from her mind entirely.

"It's lovely, isn't it? Simpler than much of the Galaxy. The people here live a little slower than most, but I like it that way."

The ship touched down on a patch of land just south of Star Point. The sleek glass-walled building made a statement upon its hill. Her gaze lifted toward it, before she punched the release for the ramp and gestured Steph in its direction.

"Come, we'll freshen up and gather supplies before setting off. We'll be heading out on foot, it's a few miles away... But it'll be worth it. I promise."

Nothing quite like viewing a behemoth from the ground, taking the perspective of an ant.

[member="Stephanie Swail"]

Stephanie Swail

Stephanie followed, saying little, but nodding and looking around at the views. Not that were was MUCH of a view, but it was a new world. New air, new smells, sights – it was what she craved to understand the galaxy planet by planet, system by system.

In admiration of the building Kyra led her to, Stephanie gingerly slipped off her shield and lay it beside a long sofa, and then her satchel. It was cool and full of light, and it was…a little cluttered in some places? But, that’s what came with being a mechanical whizz like Kyra.

"I like your place!"

She called out to the corridors where Kyra had gone as she walked around, brushing her hand on the furnishings and sparse décor.

Walking to the rear of the room, she wrapped her arms around herself and looked out at a small hamlet below, her head cocked a little as she made out people and beasts going about their daily life in whatever they were doing. Living, working, resting.

"I can’t wait to see it!"

She called again.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

"I'm glad that you like it" she called over her shoulder, as she roamed the rooms and opened the windows to air the place out. It had sat vacant for quite some time now, after all. "We can stay a few days if you like, or spend just one night. It's up to you. We'll head out to see the Giants in an hour or so. Feel free to use the refresher to freshen up, I'll order up some food for when we return."

Yes her home was odd. It was very modern and sleek, yet there were the odd oil stains, pieces of machinery, broken parts. The garage off to one side held a few vehicles, including the speeder she had been working on. Home, this place was still home to her even after all that had happened. But the memories of Connor remained strong, and there were places her eyes refused to wander. Such as the large glass wall which faced the horizon, where they had fallen asleep watching the stars.

"Can I get you anything, Steph? Let me know when you're ready, and we can go."

Stephanie Swail

"If you have water to spare, I’d love some to take. Other than that," she turned to the wonderfully large window that acted as a wall, "I’m ready!"

Stephanie walked over to it, and looked out. A large mountain range seemed to rise and fall in the far distance. A couple of small farms too, if she squinted. The small shanty town below. Dots of crafts flying over in the sky and into orbit. Her wide eyes looked around it all, and even with the window there, it was like she could see the whole planet.

"This is magical, Kyra. You can sit and watch the entire day go by! Ohhh, oh I bet night-time is amazing. The stars. The planets. The beauty. You’re so lucky."

[member="Kyra Sol"]

"Water? Psht... No" she teased as she walked back into the main living space, a grin on her lips. "Of course, take what you need. I'll sort you out a canister for the journey."

Finalizing the bits and pieces that were going into her pack, she joined Steph infront of the window. The awe on the woman's expression was comforting, no doubt this was how she had looked when first venturing to Sark.

"I chose the location for its vista. All of the rooms are like this, except the refresher of course. All with panoramic views. I didn't like the thought of feeling stuck inside, as much as I love flying when I'm away from my ship... I'd rather feel free."

Offering out one of the canisters filled with fresh, cold water, Kyra gave a very slight nod. "There's so little light pollution here, you can see everything in the night sky. You'll see, but from a different location. One even more magical. Come, let's go."

Kyne had found his favourite spot on the sofa, and had already fallen sound asleep. After filling his food and water bowls she turned to the door and offered out her hand. They had quite the journey ahead of them, but it would be more than worth it.

Stephanie Swail

Her eyes just watched as she let Kyra sort out their travels. The planet was fascinating – it was like a picture come to life. An artwork of a strange world that really lived.

Turning at the request to go, Stephanie held onto a water canister with one hand, and took Kyra’s with the other, curtsying a little with a grin.

"Thank you, my lady."

Skipping out of the house, she inhaled the hair and felt the sun on her face once more, nice to be free from her satchel and shield. As her host caught up, Stephanie linked her arm as they walked.

"So, how do we get there? Do we walk or ride? And is it hidden, this graveyard? As in inside a cavern or around a secluded spot? I bet it’s haunting, isn’t it. Scary but comforting too. A place to feel safe if you’re ever alone? Not that you’re going to BE alone now, because you have me, but you know what I mean."

She had many questions bubbling away, but now wasn't the time.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

She was so full of life.

Kyra could not help but grin at her funny little mannerisms. If ever she needed proof of the Force's influence over her, Kyra need only think back to their meeting on Voss and the mistake which had almost been made. The Force led her to the edge, nothing else. Not a desire to look over the lakes, or to the vista, no... The Force. Kyra had been there purely to check in with the Jedi, to see how things were faring after Connor's disappearance. She hadn't even done that in the end, though, had she? No. The Force certainly worked in mysterious ways, and Kyra was finally becoming a believer.

"We walk" she said, with a nod to the distant horizon. There was a deep valley just below, which would provide them with some much needed shade from the harsh sun. "It's not as far as it looks, we'll take the low ground. I don't want to ruin the surprise."

Down down down they ventured, from her house atop the hill, until walls of sandstone stood at either side of them. A lovely breeze blew through the canyon, making it quite the refreshing walk.

"I'm not going to tell you what it's like, Steph. You'll see for yourself in time." She nudged the woman slightly, with another light grin. "So, tell me. Have you thought anymore about the path you wish to take? Forget what others expect of you, forget what you think you ought to be doing. What do you want?"

There was time a plenty to kill. And while the views even down here were magnificent, wonderful works of art weathered into the beaten walls, a little conversation would not distract them from such.

Stephanie Swail

Wince a little wince to shield out some of the baking sun, Stephanie was content and comfortable as she walked with Kyra towards and then into the stoned canyon. The shade was needed, and the funneled breeze was perfect.

Her clothes blew a little behind her, the shawl lapping around her neck, and her brown hair billowing out gently.

"I can't wait to see it. Thank you for bringing me. Really. Thank you."

With an appreciative squeeze of the arm, Stephanie sighed and thought about her question.

"There are so many names I've read about. So many. Good, and bad. Battles that defined generations. I want to be part of history. Not in a sense to be famous, but I want to stand with those in the Light who do what his most human. To serve, to protect, to live, love and learn and be a strong guide for others. I want it all, Kyra."

She looked at her friend.

"I don't care what anyone else thinks. I want to be a Jedi. I want to to lead others, and help others, and teach others. That is all I have wanted, and it's all I will ever want. To be a beacon of light to block out the dark. And, this is stupid, but I want you with me as I do it."

A soft groan left her lips and she rolled her eyes.

"I know, I know. I've only just met you. But I owe you so much! We can do this together. You can help me and I can help you? Because, really, you've never told me what you really are or what you really want too."

[member="Kyra Sol"]

Kyra mulled over the woman's words, and kept the smile upon her lips throughout. It seemed as though her newfound friend had already decided her path, which was good. The momentary blip of darkness which had shrouded her was gone, and she was once again able to find purpose.

"Only one who wishes to help others can help others. You're already most of the way there, Steph, and I'll help in any way that I can."

For now she didn't ponder on her own fate. She was still dead set on finding Connor, on dragging him back to the light. And she realized that such required a lot of personal growth. It was why she had gone to the Alliance, and spoken to Aela. Perhaps the path of Light was indeed her own purpose, perhaps the pair of them could help one another. Aela had told her that she couldn't face it alone.

She gave a gentle squeeze to Steph's arm, and picked up the pace. The sun was beginning to dip by this point, and the air cooled. Soon the stars would come out, but not before they reached the greatest sight in the Galaxy. At least, in Kyra's opinion.

"Are you ready? When we leave this canyon, you'll be able to see it..."

Stephanie Swail

Stephanie nodded, for both points.

That she was determined to find her calling with Kyra’s help, and that she was ready to see the graveyard of Jedi.

She felt nervous, that sick feeling in her gut, but excited as they hurried through the canyon as the light slowly started to melt over the rock that came into view more and more.

"I’m ready to begin. I’m ready. Come on!"

She yelped in excitement and broke into a little run, holding Kyra’s arm as she did, through the canyon and into the light, and up a small incline of sand. Her arm went over her eyes to adjust to the light, but it didn’t take long.

The frame of a Star Destroyer dominated the view ahead, framed in the distance on the horizon in which it lay dormant, half buried by the planet and surrounded by various metallic skeletons of crashed ships and large walkers.

crop2_Graveyard-of-Giants-by-Malcolm-Tween-Art1.jpg
This was no place for the Jedi. It was…of course. A graveyard of giant starships that conquered the stars, and now lay dormant and dead.

She should have been disappointed, but the majestic and haunting sight was breath-taking.

"It’s…"

She rested her hands on her hips and stood, mouth open, surveying it all. It was extraordinary. So much history. So many footprints from the past.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

Kyra had seen the sight a thousand times before. It was not to the fallen starships that she looked but to the expression of her newfound friend, who stood dumbfounded once they left the canyon and the view could be witnessed.

Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, Starfighters... Junker ships, stealth ships, transporters... So many things lay here, but all were dwarfed by the behemoth SSD which jutted into the sky and split the clouds.

For a moment she worried that Steph would be disappointed. No Jedi lay here, none at all, just remnants of the past. Would she mind that Kyra had expanded the truth? Let her go on believing that this was a tomb for Force Users?

It seemed not. She was without words, stood admiring the view. Kyra stood off to one side, and could not help but grin her goofy smile.

For now she didn't say a word. She did not want to break the spell. But she longed to bring the woman closer, to see if she might wish to ascend the vessels as she and Connor once had.

Stephanie Swail

Had she been standing there for minutes, or seconds? Stephanie didn’t know – she didn’t care. It was just her, this view, and history. She looked at the skeletons and saw the battles they had been in. The soldiers running on the ground beneath their walkers pushing back an enemy, or the fighters tearing through the sky as the groaning star ships plummeted down.

Jakku must have been something more than just a desert world. It wore the scars proudly.

She pointed to the Destroyer half buried.

"I can…I can see you, Kyra…there."

She gasped, smiling.

"You were there, weren’t you. I know you were! You climbed the ship!"

For some reason, she welled up – was this the Force guiding her, connecting her to Kyra? Was she feeling something or simply guessing at a notion she felt her guide was part of. She looked over to her standing there, still pointing.

She felt…an overwhelming sadness suddenly, and it confused her, and her face fell, as did a tear.

"I can see you there. With him."

[member="Kyra Sol"]

Silence stretched on, of the most comfortable kind. She had never been so serene in the presence of another, not since she and Connor had found Sarkany; Kyra had never been one for the presence of others, it was why her ship was run with a crew of droids, and her best friend was a Kath hound. Yet she felt drawn to Steph the way she had been Connor, a true kinship from the get go.

Well, no, Connor tried to kill you from the get go remember?

Her heart felt heavy for a moment, and then Steph's voice graced her ears. The woman spoke, and her words surprised Kyra. How could she know? How could she...

He was mentioned.

She knew about him.

Kyra took a slight step back, and felt her vision blurring. It was as though the world span, and she could do nothing to slow its motions. The pain was unbearable, and it ran between both girls until Kyra felt her knees within the sand and her head hung.

Come undone. Kyra Sol felt it all unraveling. This facade she had formed for herself.

"We scaled it, it took us all day but we scaled it..."

And then he went and ruined it all.

Stephanie Swail

With a pained gasp, Stephanie covered her mouth as [member="Kyra Sol"] sank to the soft sand, as if her energy had been suddenly taken. She was down with her in an instant, hands gripping hers.

"Oh my....oh Kyra...what happened...?"

Her heart raced. Kyra was in pain, and she was broken. Had she said something? Done something? It was him - that man, Connor Harrison. The Jedi who left her. Stephanie bit down on her tongue. That man was not worth her!

She shook her hands.

"Come on, Kyra Sol. Don't let him win. Don't you let him win!" It was anger that fought back the tears. "Let it out, please. Don't fight it."

With her thumbs, she rubbed around Kyra's knuckles and maintained her grip, the soft sand under them and the graveyard behind them seemed ugly now it was tainted with a memory that brought Kyra to tears.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

Steph did not skip a beat, immediately down with her and cradling her hands. Kyra kept her head hung for a moment, allowing the slight breeze to whip around them and send sand into the air. A small exhale of air, before she shook her head. It wasn't right, wasn't fair of her to ruin this day with thoughts of him.

She thought she was over it. That it had been tidied away within her mind, into boxes. But she was wrong.

"He didn't do anything wrong, not to me... That's what hurts the most."

Her voice was a whisper at this point. Pained, but lacking anger. The tears did not fall, instead she looked up and past Steph to the fallen ships.

"It isn't that I don't want to see him, it isn't that I don't care, I do... I really do. But he's going down a path I cannot follow, Steph, everything he's ever fought for has been abandoned. That's what hurts. He did nothing save help me, and now... Now I can't help him."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom