Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Force? Don't Be Silly!

Jamie pressed her thumb against the activator switch and silenced the lightsaber before turning the hilt in her palm and handing it back to Keira with a pleased smile. It would take time to adjust and get used to the difference in where the balance point was on a lightsaber, and to wield it properly. Where it was weightless on the majority of the weapon, most of the finesse would have to come from hand, wrist, and arm manipulation of the hilt alone, something she had never thought of before. "Thank you." she said finally. "I guess in my head I always thought it would be great to have a lightsaber, to be a great fighter, but that was really just wishful thinking, like some unobtainable goal that kept me motivated at what I was doing."

She sat down on the grass, looking up at the sky, then back to Keira. "I want to see what is out there. There is so much I will never know of, or experience if I stay here. Whole worlds and places to see, people to meet. Sure, I could watch holovids or read about them, but it's not the same. I want to see things for myself." She reached back, pulling her hair together and lifting it up and into a loose ponytail. "There's little point in trying to talk my parents into it. They'll say no. They'll ask you to leave, and then I'll have to sneak out anyway. Their opinion would be that my place is here, studying, going to school, and carrying on their heritage."

Scratching the top of her head she wondered the real differences between Jedi and...Not Jedi. "So if you're not a Jedi, and you're not a-" She puffed out her cheeks trying to think of what the word was for the opposite of a Jedi. Her eyes shifted around a few times before it finally came to her. "A Sith? Then what exactly are you? Is there a name for someone who isn't either? I guess it doesn't really matter, a title is just a title after all. It's what you do with it that counts." If there was ever a truer statement she was unaware, but that had been ingrained in her memory as a child. Her family was entirely engrossed in politics as many of the Naboo nobles were. She had grown tired of the theatricality of it though. Everyone was a two-faced liar. Polite and proper in public, kinniving and rogueish in secrecy. It was a bitter taste, yet everyone ate from the same plate. It was just how things were.

"I just want to get out of here and find out where I belong."

[member="Keira Ticon"]

Already Jaime was beginning to remind Keira of her younger self, what with her fierce independence and drive to know more about the galaxy she lived in and experience everything imaginable for herself. That motivation to be and accomplish more was something to be prized, and she had the chance to make certain it wasn't wasted by allowing the life of a noble to overtake any other ambition present. When her weapon was passed back she spun it lazily above her palm with a minor application of telekinesis, her focus on that one constant of motion helping her to think things through more clearly. "Then you will, if that's what you want. I can't stop you from that, and neither can they."

As if in a display of camaraderie she sat down across from the one that was looking to be her newest student, letting her saber hilt rest in her lap. "You'll find where you belong. I'll help you with that." Or at least guide her on something of the correct path towards that goal. "But I don't want to take you away from the only life you've ever known so quickly. You might not think you'll miss it now, and you might be right, but this is something to be thought over just a bit longer." However impulsive she typically was, it wasn't her intention to have others end up like her. "I won't bring anything up to your parents, and we don't have to say anything to them before leaving, but I want you to think with a clear head."

The wisdom Jaime possessed was that of one far more experienced than an individual of her perceived age, and she only nodded along with what was said, understanding and holding within her the same opinion. "You're correct in that titles are meaningless. And I don't consider myself fitting under any label because in my mind there aren't any. The Force isn't something that can be classified into any box, and neither can those that wield it themselves." That was getting into a bit more philosophy than she would have liked so early on, but it never hurt to test the minds of those you would inevitably be spending a fair amount of time working with and around. This was a start.

Had she been in the position of the younger she would have refused in a heartbeat. Not out of any particular disdain for such a lifestyle, but because she had already experienced more than enough to be done living a life full of near-constant danger at every turn. It wasn't something she would want for anyone else, but she wasn't the sort to deny anyone their right to their own choosing. If this was what Jaime wanted this was what she would get, and without protest or attempts at dissuasion on her part. "If you want this life, you'll get it. If you want to learn under me, I'll teach you." And, as with everything that had transpired in her life before, any consequences were forgotten in the moment.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Jamie watched momentarily as Keira effortless levitated the saber. Even the most simplistic applications of the Force mesmerized the girl. She hadn't ever witnessed it up close, and everything she had ever learned of the Force were stories, likely exaggerated as they were passed down from one generation to another. HoloVids she watched were all based in reality but heavily embellished. She only wanted to see things for what they truly were, and had no use for exaggerated claims or full fledged lies. "Thank you." She said, eager to be off and away from Naboo and start her new life, even though Keira wanted her to think on it more before making a decision. Some things were known to a person immediately, a gut feeling you could say. This was certainly one of those moments for Jamie. Still, she didn't want to seem like an impatient kid who just wanted something new, so she nodded her head and gave Keira a simple response. "Ok. I will sleep on it before I make a final decision then."

The girl smiled as Keira sat next to her. It felt almost like she had gained an older sister in this short time. "I would be thrilled to have you teach me what you know, what I can do, and what I can become. I may never get another chance. Passing this up would seem crazy." She appreciated that Keira was straight forward and told her what she thought and how things were truthfully. That was something deserving of respect and admiration. Despite the beating she had taken earlier, the day was turning out to be pretty spectacular.

[member="Keira Ticon"]

"We don't have to wait that long. I just want you to think for longer than a few minutes about this. Because once you leave there might not be another chance to come back." It was disastrously amazing how quickly one's former life could collapse in on itself after one simple facet was altered or shattered completely. This was a choice that was all but impossible to turn back on, and Keira didn't wish to allow delusions of grandeur related to being some kind of Jedi give Jamie the wrong impression of what everything was about. The life of a rogue was far different than that of one committed to a particular ideology or code. Things were different when you didn't have a centralized focus other than doing good.

Flexing her fingers she drew up three pebbles and let them hover above her hand, rotating slowly counterclockwise. Telekinesis was perhaps one of the most basic aspects of the Force, but when utilized correctly it had the capabilities to be one of the most efficiently deadly. "If you'd like to learn, we can start now." This was one way to see how she responded to challenges and new insights, however minuscule. "It's not quite as impressive as what you've no doubt been shown, but telekinesis is something you can start out with in its most basic form. Eventually it'll come second nature." Instinct was an individual's most powerful weapon, doubly so if they were sensitive to the ethereal.

The pebbles fell back into her open palm. "Focus on these rocks and reach out to touch it. Not physically, but mentally. Imagine how it would feel in your palm, and then envision yourself lifting it into the air. Don't move, just use your mind and your imagination. Focus, but don't strain yourself. You want to keep an open and clear mind." Eventually that would no longer be a necessity, but for a beginner everything had to align nearly perfectly. This was her first time truly teaching an individual and building up their skill from the ground up, and she could only hope all that she said was making some modicum of sense. There wasn't an easy way to explain an energy field that encompassed all living beings and allowed fantastical feats to be performed seemingly effortlessly.

"Just breathe. In and out. Let it come naturally."

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Jamie bobbed her head in agreement. She was eager to get started. After all, the faster she started the faster she would advance, right? At least she had visions of grandeur, and Keira was the key to her locked ability, whatever they were. "I'm happy to learn everything you're willing to show me, no matter how big or small. You have my full attention!" The girl watched as Keira effortlessly lifted the three small stones and danced them about through the air gracefully. A smile formed on her face. If nothing else, it would be a neat trick. She thought of the possibilities of performing the talent on larger things, or people, and wondered if that were possible. "Can you do that to manipulate other, larger things? Things like people? Vehicles? Buildings?" A rather big grin formed on her face as she imagined the power behind lifting a building from its' foundations.

When Keira asked her to try the feat herself she had a bit of apprehension. She'd never believed she could magically float things in thin air before, so what would be different now? She wrinkled her nose, and stared at the rocks in the palm of Keira's hand for a minute or two. In her mind she just repeated the same words. Up...Float!...Uppppp! The rocks didn't move, laying limp in the hand. Jamie looked at Keira with an odd look of displeasure and disbelief, then back to the stones again. She closed her eyes and imagined them as they were, resting in Keira's hand, and then imagined how they might look floating a few centimeters above it. She felt an odd twitch, as if from her core, a shiver ran through her body, yet when she opened her eye she noticed the rocks had lifted up just a little bit from where they had sat, before immediately falling back down. Her face lit up like a festival tree and she laughed a bit. "Did I do that, or did you cheat for me?" She wondered if Keira had spared her the embarrassment and helped her a little with the task.

[member="Keira Ticon"]

"Most people will say that the only limit of the Force lies in your imagination, and most of the time I agree with them." But, as always, there was fine print that dictated her ideals from those of any other. "But you have to remember that while the Force itself is limitless, you aren't. Your body acts as a conduit for it, and attempting anything more than what you're reasonably capable of can really hurt you. Unlike physical exhaustion, this kind runs to your core as a sentient being. It can kill you if you try something you aren't ready for too soon. But it can also help you grow in strength." Oftentimes overexertion was the only way one could truly learn. But there were times when even the most beneficial things became deadly.

For a few moments she considered her own ability and what she could reasonably demonstrate without drawing too much attention or damaging anything. Those feats that erred on the more extreme side of things, such as those Jamie had mentioned, would likely have to wait. "You can, but they're manipulated differently than simply lifting them up into the air. It all depends on what you want to do." Once again she levitated the rocks. "Lifting things up and setting them down like you did is only one application of telekinesis. There are others that are more efficient and sometimes more lethal." It was those talents she favored most times to ensure her own survival and that of others.

With nothing more than a thought she launched the pebbles away from them at a distance of no more than a few feet so as not to disturb their surroundings, calling them back into her palm in seconds. "Push and pull are two of the more basic incarnations." Her fingers curled inwards into a fist, nothing seeming to change immediately about the stones until she slowly released her telekinetic hold, their composition now having change to nothing more than the consistency of sand. "Crush is a bit more advanced, but it doesn't take long to learn. Most of the other abilities are derived from those three, and your boundaries are figuratively limitless." Hopefully her warning had been taken to heart.

Gesturing to the surrounding area, she indicated for Jamie to locate her own pebbles to manipulate in any manner she so chose. "Now it's your turn. Try not to think about it too much. A lot of this is natural instinct that you never learned to access properly. That's why this isn't going to be easy at first. You're reinventing how you live in one of the most fundamental ways."

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Jamie realized for the first time that the Force was truly something remarkable, yet also very dangerous if utilized incorrectly. That meant she would have to pay very close attention to Keira's instruction as well as understanding her own limitations, which at the current time was likely very, very minuscule. She wouldn't be picking up speeders or buildings in the near future, that much was for sure. For now, the simplicity of lifting a few stones was more than enough for her, and plenty for her to focus on. She nodded with Keira's explanation and looked on as the stones were crushed into grains of sand. A wide smile formed on her face as she watched her teacher. She could only hope to live up to whatever expectations might be laid out for her.

"I understand. I will make sure to keep that in mind. And I will trust your judgement."

Jamie closed her eyes to clear her mind and attempt once again to focus. As she opened her eyes she plucked three small pebbles from the ground beneath her, observing them in her hand she tried once again to connect herself to that energy she had felt earlier, allowing her to very briefly levitate the stones herself. It took a minute, perhaps two, of her steady focus to once again find that connection and to raise them from her palm. As they rose from her hand she did her best to maintain that balance, before attempting the feat of throwing them a distance with nothing more than her will and determination. The rocks wobbled a bit before hurtling just a few meters away from herself. It wasn't much, and wasn't overly impressive to watch, not to mention that It was still a rather strange feeling for her, but the fact that she was able to do something she had never even known was physically possible was invigorating.

"Wow!"

[member="Keira Ticon"]

Never one to believe in fate or any sort of predetermined destiny, there was still a spark there that Keira could both sense and observe visually. In those moments where she determined just how to best access this untapped well of power, Jamie seemed to come alive. It was plain to her that this was where she belonged. Maybe a bit of an odd piece in the ever-expanding puzzle of Force sensitives in the galaxy, but it wasn't as if the one preceding over the training fit any better into the prescribed outline. A strange pair had been formed between this burgeoning noble and the vagabond rogue, one that had the potential to grow to be far more than meets the eye.

The excitement that flooded Jamie's aura was nearly palpable, and a crooked grin split on her face at the sheer amazement that donned the countenance of her younger companion. It was invigorating in both the literal and metaphorical sense to witness another growing into themselves in one of the purest forms. "Not bad at all. A few more tries and I think you'll have it down." There was promise there, a mere flicker of potential that had flourished into a flame in the blink of an eye. While Jamie wouldn't be seeing any sort of true live training just yet, this was progress that spoke of it being a very real possibility in the not too distant future. This was someone she could grow close to.

"I think you've found your niche." Her decision had been made concrete after that display. "I can tell this is what you want just from the way you draw on the Force itself to fuel such a minute action. This is something you'll excel in with the right person to guide you, and I want to try and be that." Each word was carefully articulated, and it was clear she was putting true thought into practice where typically she spoke on a whim. "I'll take you on if you'll have me, and we can leave whenever you're ready. I would still like you to tell your parents, but if you'd rather wait until we're off-planet then it can be done then." That was step one more or less complete. What their next move would be even she wasn't sure of.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

The excitement that welled in Jamie made her feel as though she might just explode. She'd never felt such invigoration before, whether that was from the Force too, or Keira's encouragement and offer, or a combination she wasn't certain. What she did know was that now that she had been able to do the impossible, she simply had to have more. It was now ingrained into her mind. She wanted to learn absolutely everything she could, to grow stronger, to be better, and to make something out of herself, more than what life on Naboo could offer.

Jamie nodded, understanding that it would take time before she really grasped the ability and would be able to use it with relative ease. Practice, to her, was the easy part. Knowing she could at least do it was something entirely new. Thinking about it, she realized she could have lived her entire life having never known about this connection, and just how truly thankful she was that Keira had been there.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" She didn't know what else to say, so instead opted to express her gratitude by hugging Keira. "I would love to have you teach me!" She said before finally letting go. "Let's go now. If I can send a message to my parents when we leave I would prefer that. Less drama to endure."

[member="Keira Ticon"]

Surprise was written plainly on her face at the embrace from Jamie, but Keira returned the gesture after a few moments, laughing quietly. "You're welcome, Jamie," She smiled as the other pulled back, "You're welcome." It was about freedom, she knew. The ability to choose one's own path in life regardless of other's opinions, to live one's life without any outside interference. It was something she had sought out once upon a time herself, and she only hoped that the same sensation of weightlessness and relative peace could be achieved by the one she had agreed to teach. "Alright, we'll get going." All she could do was trust Jamie's judgment in that she knew what she was doing when it came to her parents.

Pushing herself to her feet she offered a hand to help Jamie up as well. With no preset destination in mind once they left Naboo she supposed the most logical place to begin was within Spaarti headquarters on Cartao, if just to get the other situated and find her a place to stay. Walking with her to the spaceport she paused once they stood outside of the ship that had transported her to the planet. "This is it. The next time you come back here things won't be the same as they are now. You'll be a completely different person, even if you don't think so yet. I just want you to know that." Her hand waved over the sensor, the landing ramp sliding down and hitting the ground with a dull metallic clang. "You ready?"

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

The girl felt as though Keira was slightly uncomfortable by the embrace. Jamie could well understand why that might be the case, some girl she scarcely knew had just forced a rather abrupt embrace upon her. Though to her surprise, perhaps due to feeling obliged, or perhaps not, Keira returned the hug. Getting to her feet with the help of Keira's hand she dusted herself off and adjusted her boots. Jamie had no idea where they would go, or what she should expect to see, and what Keira's training would entail, but she was excited all the same, doing her best to cover any hint of nervousness she might have about leaving Naboo, and stumbling blind into the unknown expanse of the galaxy.

Once they got to the spaceport, Jamie looked over the ship Keira had arrived in. She heard the words her new teacher had said, though her attention was partially diverted to the ship, and her imagination as to the places the vessel had been. As she came to, a quick nod affirmed that she was ready to get going. "Yes. I'm as ready as I will ever be, Keira. Where will we be going?"

[member="Keira Ticon"]

"Cartao, probably." Motioning with her head for Jamie to follow Keira stepped on board the ship, sitting down in the cockpit and motioning for her to take the co-pilot's seat next to her. "It's where I've been living for the past month or so, and I've already got some kind of home set up there that works for just about everything." There was some kind of further explanation in order, she supposed, but that could wait until they were off Naboo. It all accumulated to a long story, anyhow. Once Jamie was secure in her seat she took off, navigating them out of the spaceport and then out of atmosphere, entering the coordinates for the previously specified planet and easing forward the lever for lightspeed.

Turning in her chair so she could face the other, she considered her words for a moment before continuing, "The only reason I have a place to stay on Cartao is because an old friend of mine owns the company that more or less has control of the planet. And the only reason her company has monopolized is because they've turned primarily to cloning as a means of profit. With the war being how it is, she created a clone army that protects the Republic." It was best not to mention that said army served the best interests of Spaarti and those affiliated first and foremost. Not yet, anyway. "And I happen to be in command of that army." There it was, all of her cards more or less out in the open.

For a moment she pretended to busy herself with something else, not entirely sure why she wasn't comfortable with admitting what had become another fact of life aloud. But the notion of command had always been strange to her. "It probably won't influence anything in regards to your training, but should we ever be on the battlefield together they'll be protecting you as well." Hopefully, with the teaching, that wouldn't be necessary.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Jamie remained quiet while Keira spoke, taking in every word as if there would be a quiz later as she took her seat beside the woman. Cartao, she thought to herself. She'd honestly never heard of this world before. There was so much she had been missing out on living on Naboo that she may have never have learned, if she hadn't taken this leap of faith with Keira. A clone army that defends the Republic? She knew of the dark history surrounding the Republic of old. An army that was created to defend, and later destroy that very Republic in favor of a villainous emperor. She could only hope everyone had learned from those mistakes and closely guarded this new breed of clone, for the better of the government for which it served. Outside of that, she had little knowledge of the Republic either. Naboo was overseen by a princess, who answered to this entity of the Techno Union. Rarely did she see anyone of importance from the overreaching body of government.

"Protecting...Me?" She asked curiously, uncertain as to what exactly that meant. "So you're some kind of freelance military general? I don't think I could have ever guessed that, judging by your demeanor and the way you carry yourself. You're very -" She scratched the side of her head, trying to think of the word. "Cordial. Yeah, you're really cordial. I might have guessed a mercenary, or bounty hunter. or something of that nature. Perhaps even a leader of a small group, but a whole army? I'm both shocked and impressed by you the more I learn."

The girl rubbed her arm slowly, realizing she hadn't much to offer someone like Keira for anything and everything she was willing to put aside to teach her. "I should apologize in advance." Her eyes wandered from the floor of the cockpit to the woman sitting beside her. "I don't have much of anything to give you in return for this burden. I can maybe cash out a handful of credits from my parents account if we reach a terminal before they know I left and lock me out, but past that, I'm afraid I haven't anything to offer you for this."

[member="Keira Ticon"]

"Not quite." Before the offer had been extended Keira hadn't been any sort of general, much less had any kind of former military experience. Her position as the supreme commander of the clone army was entirely genuine as far as new experiences go, though she found herself adjusting much more quickly than had been anticipated. What that meant for the future was anyone's guess. "I've never led any kind of army before this came along. Everyone's more or less learning as we go, but it's worked well enough. All our job really amounts to is pushing the Sith back on all fronts so the Republic can be restored to what it once was. And when you get to the very bottom of things, fighting and preserving some kind of peace is instinctual." Well, the former was, for her.

Her brow furrowed slightly at the apology offered her, and she merely shook her head. "You don't owe me anything. I'm not of the habit to make offers unless it's something I'm willing to put forth. If I hadn't been willing to take you on, neither of us would be here right now." Harsh, perhaps, but entirely truthful nonetheless. She had always been a believer of dealing in blunt truths rather than glossing over much of anything. "Besides, it's not like I'm some kind of amazing teacher anyhow. But I'll do what I can to mold you into someone you'll be proud of." Moreover, she was going to be certain Jamie wouldn't make any of the same mistakes she had in the past. "Now, do you have anything you'd like to know about me? That way you won't exactly be running off with a stranger."

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"I see." This entire situation was so new to her. Everything was pretty confusing, and a lot to take in. One person in charge of an entire army of clones to defend a Republic she had only heard stories of. She wondered what exactly this government was like, and if the people who lived under its' rule were much different than that of her own world. She knew that once, long ago, Naboo was a member of the Republic. That much was taught throughout her childhood classes, but recent events, war, and conflicts had reshaped the galaxy into something new. Now, it seemed, things were beginning to change once more.

She understood that Keira had taken her on more or less of her own accord, though she still felt obliged to both live up to her standards, as well as somehow repay her for her teachings and guidance. For now she simply smiled, happy to have formed this new relationship with the older woman. It felt almost like gaining a sister, but its' value was so much more than just that. "I won't let you down, I promise."

Jamie sat back, looking out at the vastness of space, bewildered by its' endless brilliance of darkness sprinkled with distant stars and planets. Everything was new and exciting now, and she had put her trust in Keira, hoping to make the very best of everything she could possibly become. "Do you have other siblings? I'd always wanted someone to share things with, to talk to, but I guess it wasn't in the cards for me." In truth there were many things she wanted to ask, but she tried to maintain her enthusiasm to a tolerable level. Restraint was something she'd struggled with in the past, and wanted to prove to herself and Keira that she wasn't always a bubble-headed annoying teenager.

[member="Keira Ticon"]

Somehow Keira found it hard to believe that she had once been that eager to please as a Padawan, but some of that old persona had been returning recently with the bonds she had formed among the clones. It was a desire to give them something they had never really had to begin with, a chance that hadn't quite been offered her. And maybe some of that was shining through with Jamie. Perhaps the supposedly hardened commander had more of a maternal side than would be expected. There would, of course, be no getting her to admit that. "Don't worry too much about any expectations. I don't really have any beyond you doing your best. I'm not awfully hard to please."

The mention of family seemed to cause her to retreat back into her shell some, though she pushed past it, nodding and flashing a smile. "Yeah, I've got siblings, though we're not spectacularly close." That probably wasn't the right kind of impression to make, but it was the truth, completely and genuinely. "The Ticons have always been drifters. Spacers is probably the better word, with no real close ties other than family. We've got criminal roots that never really go away, but those shattered when Corellia did. Now we just wander, mostly, with some of us picking up on this or that cause along the way." Realizing she was beginning to ramble, she blinked and shook her head.

"But yeah, I've got a family. And older brother and sister, and a younger brother and sister as well. Colap, Dani, Nikola and Tabitha, in that order. Colap I haven't heard from in years, but Dani's a bounty hunter, Nik's with the Galactic Alliance looking to be a Jedi, and Tabby's...well, she's drifting between us all, trying to figure out where she fits in the family. She's not very martial compared to the rest of us." Or much of a fighter at all, but that was beside the point. In comparison to the entirety of the Ticon clan, Tabitha was at civilian status, plain and simple. "It's not really much of the traditional family model, but we make it work the best we can." Which often wasn't much at all.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom