Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Folly of Kings

2d1OJ6G.png

DOOKU PALACE // CARANNIA, SERENNO
vibes | Michael Barran Michael Barran

So much had changed, in what felt like so little time.

Empires had risen and fallen, and from the ashes the new wave of the galaxy's denizens filled the void when further nations and ideologies to propagate its wrath. The New Imperial Order had been one of them, in those burgeoning years before terms like Empire were tossed around so lightly. What had been done and accomplished for the Empire to thrive, was nuanced at best. War had been waged on a scale that the Unknown Regions had not seen for centuries, with the underdog New Imperials toppling their former masters and supplanting the tyrranic regime that all but underestimated their succession.

Lucien had been there for it all.

He'd seen the New Imperials at their weakest, what it was capable of achieving under great duress. He'd seen the death of thousands men, and ordered his fair share of them as one of the premier rising talents within the Order's growing chain of command. Groomed for his innate talents for war, honed for the administration of planets as the faux warlord of the Empire's temporary capitol, he would grow into a man beneath the watchful eye of Irveric Tavlar, the Sovereign Imperator of the rising New Imperial regime. Though he would never admit it while the man still drew breath, he was thankful nonetheless for the opportunities he was provided. For it was through Tavlar's guidance, and leniency, that the brazen young Warlord grew into his own as a man, grasping onto the ideals and principles bestowed upon him and letting them mold naturally with his own.

He became a man in no time, tasked with the governance of two worlds by the dawn of the Empire's ascent over the dying corpse of the Sith they left in their wake. Crowned King of his birthright, and given authority over two worlds which soon enough would become jewels of the Imperial realm. But with the death of Irveric Tavlar, the world around him began to change all at once. To the Core he went in search of his beloved, and no sooner than he arrived did the chaos once more strike at the heart of the peace he wished to attain. Strife eclipsed his opportunity to grieve, leaving him with no option but to take to the blade once more in defense of a world he spent many a month in the planet's underworld.

And though defeat would come in the end, he was prepared to meet his maker if that was what the fates had wished for him once more. He was a man who fought for his woman, and for what was right, and though he believed he would die on that fateful day, the force would save him once more.

Lucien awoke months later, his mind fractured into shattered remnants of what it was once before. He was saved from the oblivion, but at the cost of both his body and mind taking a toll that be hard pressed to recover. It would take time for him to heal, time he would not have as the coming months revealed that his enemies would not leave him to rest. Gifted a Chapter of Knights by his Brother-crowned-Emperor, the former warriors of his own Legion would accompany the newly-knighted Captain into battle once more. More lives were lost, another planet left devastated in the wake of the Sith's vengeance against Imperial dominance. What was lost had been reconquered not long after, leaving the King & Warlord to focus on rebuilding what was destroyed.

All was well, it seemed, yet the peace that followed couldn't help but feel hollow.

The tides of war had shifted again, this time poised against those they once called allies. Lucien had been there when such an event had occured in the past, instigated in part by the deceased Commissioner of COMPNOR, who he found himself close to entering conflict with himself. He was able to intercede that time, to do what he could to prevent the tension from being stoked where they should not. But he could not do the same in the present, when the Empire around him seemed poised to stand alone, and against the galaxy all the same.

Isolated behind the Iron Curtain, centralized beneath an Iron Emperor.

Pfft.

Lucien would've spat at the idea, if it were not for what respect still remained for his half-kin, Rurik. Their destinies no longer walked a mutual path, the force willed them down their individual fates at a pace which prevented them from being able to intersect. Perhaps Rurik did what he thought was right, for the Empire that Tavlar left behind to remain prosperous and strong.

Perhaps not.

He didn't know what the man thought, but he'd soon find out.

But Lucien would be ready, if he would have to do what he must. To protect the legacy left behind by Tavlar, and for the millions of denizens who he promised a better life. He would stand against tyranny, even if the culprit proved his own blood. He'd done the same once before, in this very same palace that he now called his own.

And he'd do so again, if the force willed his blade forwards.

But until the spark had been lit, he'd gather his wits, and what allies he could.

sVm0MxG.png

It was dark inside the throne room, the lights kept at a dim as the lone figure inside the vast walls stared out from the glass walls towards the glimmering city within the valley. He watched the lights of the skyscrapers twinkle with sanguine joy, slow breaths following in anticipation at each glimmer of brilliance that followed. It'd been a long road to see the achievement of his people's success before his own very eyes. Carannia had been left mauled by the horrors of war; the invasion of Serenno was costly on all fronts, after all, and though the people were liberated from the Sith, it too was done at a cost. Though time and effort had eased the people's burdens, it would never replace those precious lives lost to achieve such a feat as their freedom from chains.

Chains that he now saw being inched ever so closer back onto their still-raw wrists.

Lucien was expecting a visitor, one who had been given freedom to enter the halls of Dooku Palace since his arrival onto the world in the months past. He'd proven useful- no, trustworthy would be more accurate, and more fitting for someone he respected. His list of allies had always been a small one, ever cursed to be shrinking as a result of his alienating views, and forcing him to be shrewd in regards to the hard decisions he had to make. As a result, Lucien found himself alone most of the time when it came to his fellow Warlords and Politicians, but in his solemn identity came the boon of observation over his enemies.

Such was the case when priority intelligence made its way down the network, entering into his hands with news from the capitol of Bastion itself. Though his mind had yet to recover fully since his awakening, Lucien could no longer afford to be a docile servant of an Empire that now threatened itself from within. He would need allies if he were to continue his crusade against tyranny, or at the least be surrounded by those he could trust, if the situation turned hot.

That's where his guest came in.

A man of honor and principles, loyal to the Empire, yet not blind to the folly of tyranny being veiled behind rampant nationalism and propaganda. Like-minded, he supposed was the easiest way to sum it up, which was perhaps one of the reasons that Lucien turned to him, rather than his father.

And so he'd wait for his arrival patiently, eyes glued onto the half-alive metropolis still glimmering down in the valley. It was his home, and a place he was bound to protect at all costs.

But so too was the Empire.

Hard choices, indeed.

Last edited:

eZ7Rpfu.png

1st post

0CHQlz1.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS
Worlds Meet on Serenno

THE WANDERER

Q1eGC7E.jpg

DRUID-GRANDMASTER OF THE HIGHLAND BROTHERHOOD
P6w5FH7.png

Tags: Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku
bzoEp0r.png
bzoEp0r.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS: WORLDS MEET ON SERENNO - PROLOGUE
yW8ykEN.jpg
Sword Mountain, Northern Outskirts,
Carannia, Serenno (Summer of 874 ABY)

Dark tidings, and by that point, among the darkest Lord Michael had ever considered himself a part of, as the message from his father meant that old Lord Erskine was to commit to this bloodfeud after all - though very much to the Stormchaser's audible chagrin.

Only the auld-yin could stand toe-to-toe with a Darth as a non-Forcer user - an' live t'fight again.

Being informed of his father's situation in the last moments of the Battle for Kaas city, the words that came flying from the Lord-General's mouth almost beggared belief, as it meant that there were older, stronger foes to face beyond Tegan Starfall and Khaostra Devoid's places in their family's hierarchy, greater evils to smite in the name of the Aurora De Danaan, his clan, and his Goidelic tribe-nation most of all. A name, a title, and a declared desire to wipe out the Barran line as the Wanderer's kin had in the few years before the witches of Dathomir rose to fight the Galaxy once more, all of which had left the young noble quite perplexed. An orange-eyed individual, much like the eyes of the only other of that family to get close enough to strike out at him, and Khaostra's magic had appeared very different to that of the man answering to the role of her grandfather.

'He introduced himself both as Blade Ice and as,"Darth" - "Lucid"? Using mind-magic to force my father to fatally stab his own subordinate, escaping in the process.... What games are these dafties tryin' t'play at my clan's expense? An' what the fuck is it that I'm missing in all o' this?'

As his eyes scanned the city backdrop with appreciative, loving eyes, the time alone to gaze on a place he'd since come to recognise as home was being squandered, squandered by rage-induced ramblings on matters of which he held not single modicum of control. Half-growling, the Wanderer sneered at the moon before muttering,'Behave yersel, Barran.... We'll cross that bridge when everyone's ready to make a difference on the other side.', pausing as his gaze drew in like a trance towards the moon itself, taking on something of a blueish hue as the thoughts in his mind turned to Serenno, the Imperium, and the Highland Brotherhood's future most of all. It was in this moment that the Woad's silence returned, inhaling a deep, harsh inhalation through his nostrils for a moment before letting it go again with a slightly difficult readjustment to the matters that were still in his control to positively affect.

Carannia was beautiful at this time of year, though Barran's preference for night-walks in the hills did not arise out of a need for a sensory-overloaded need for meditative solitude, not by any means; Lord Michael, much like he had grown to love the city's people, (and the many delights Carannia had to offer) was up on Sword Mountain to gaze on the sprawling street-lit backdrop he'd grown to love since his first months on Serenno's surface. Smiling to himself by then, the Wanderer inhaled another calming breath, though it was nowhere near as aggressive as the first attempt at gaining a meditative focus, serving as a means to improve the state of relaxed flow needed to finally find a sense of enjoyment at the mountain's summit. The winds were blowing strong, but warm gusts of summer-night air around the Wanderer, with the smells of the spices in the restaurants near the base of the mountain he'd chosen as his place to enjoy the quiet, unpopulated delights of Sword Mountain's summit in peace - to train the same mind he had been struggling with just moments before.

'You've been very kind to me, Carannia. Allow me to return the favour someday.'

P6w5FH7.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS: WORLDS MEET ON SERENNO - PART ONE
d9sYaAh.png
Castle Dooku, Castle District,

'Lord Barran! Looord Baaaarraaaaan?.... You gotta be fuckin' kidding me, man!'

After getting past the gatehouse with ease and ample clearance, the Highlanders standing guard would send a couple of their own to lead the castle guardsmen to the Grandmaster's residence, passing the checkpoint at the Barracks Sector with a simple wave - only to find that the one they were looking for initially appeared to be out somewhere else at the time. However, much to the relief of King Lucien's castle guardsmen, Lord Michael was only working on his sword-striking form in silence somewhere out back, overhearing them loudly enough that his state of fighting flow was broken down quite quickly in the process of walking around to the front yard. Wiping from his brow with this sleeve, the sting in his eyes would dissipate as the guards' golden insignia-badges drew into focus, muttering,'Palace guardsmen, I see.... Come inside, you can raid the fridge and check the Holonet as I make myself more presentable for dealings with royalty, hm?', as he made for the door with a beckoning hand gesture to follow as he went.

'Our sincere thanks, sir. We were beginning to think you'd left the city until you popped your head around the corner, glad to proven wrong. Especially for your first summons, Lord Michael.'

Within a half-hour, the Druid was ready and wearing well-pressed attire for his summons to Castle Dooku, (knowing exactly what such orders meant at the time) taking prudent care not to appear unrefined or wild in any way, and certainly not for his first ever visit to House Dooku's ancestral seat of power. Having always lived and worked on the other side of the castle's fortifications, the Wanderer had always been resigned to feeling the king's powerful presence at a distance, and for four years since Barran first felt it's intensity from far off, sensing King Dooku's presence from the moment the Highland Brotherhood first made landfall on Serenno. However, nothing would prepare the Woad for the sheer scale of power he would be able to detect from the moment the guards walked him past the first of three castle checkpoints, like a wall of fiery heat had singed at the very surface layers of Lord Michael's mind, but one that seemingly cleansed the Druid's waking-consciousness of the nonsense he never knew was clouding it to begin with.

In - credible.... I should've known it would be more intense behind the castle-walls.

Before long, the guardsmen were leading the Woad down an ornately adorned hall of marble and porphyry, and before they stopped at the double-doors at the other side, one turned his head to say,'Good luck, sir. We know the veterans consider you a firm friend, a good sort. Please don't do anything stupid enough that it might ruin such repute.', as they finally closed the distance to King Lucien's throne room. Pulling open both doors, the quieter guardsman would then stand to one side as the other marched into the light-dimmed room beyond by a few paces to mildly exclaim,'Lord Michael is in attendance, my liege.', with a bow, about-face turn, and a leisurely marching pace out the room again. This would be the Druid's cue to walk in with a slightly faster marching-pace, halting in the center of the room as the King looked out to the stars above the lands to the west, and in keeping the silence from becoming awkward, Barran chose to speak first.

'Greetings, King Lucien. I was almost about to give you a long-winded introduction as according to the customs of nobility, but I feel like it would be useless to do so here. So, I'll just be keepin' it simple for my own sake.... My name is Michael Barran, Lord-Captain of the Highland Brotherhood - here to learn whatever this world can teach.'

Last edited:

sVm0MxG.png

Michael Barran Michael Barran

Lucien shifted his gaze to the right, a single eye catching sight of the man who marched through the center of the throne room to answer the King's summons. Though dimly lit, he could see the man's visage clearly through the force, and for a moment he'd ponder the lack thereof of likeness to the old war veteran who he'd fought next to in the past. It was an interesting dichotomy indeed; He could tell Michael was attuned to the force, counter to what he knew about the Lord General of the Empire. There was a fire inside the man's eyes, radiating outwards with glaring intensity, unlike the war-weary soul of Erskine.

And much like Lucien himself, he could feel the pain that stoked those emphatic flames that connected to one's soul. The path one had to walk to achieve such countenance was one of death and glory, and both triumph and loss. Bound together through the weaving strings of fate, or the force perhaps, Lucien had found a kindred soul in a sea of souls who couldn't be any different. Michael, much like Lucien, was meant for greater things. Even without the presence of Serenno's King, or the reasoning for his summoning to the Palace, Lucien was sure of that much indeed.

For there was little choice in that matter when one was fated to bend the will of the stars to their ambitions, be it for good or bad. The iconoclastic would call it one's unending ambition, but for those who were under its spell, their ambition would always find a way to interject into one's path. It was a curse, as much as it was a boon, and yet Lucien could not feel the same sorrow for himself that he use to, when he believed it was possible to escape one's fate. He learned of the inevitability of that matter, and gathered it was possible to bend fate to one's will, in a manner of speaking. The only release from fate he could find was death, for those who were lucky.

Death had escaped him enough times for him to realize that fate, if it willed, would stop at no lengths to keep you around.

2d1OJ6G.png

ASCENDANCE

"Lord Michael."

Lucien shifted in his stance, turning around fully to address the man with a feint smile. Truthfully, he was both honored and humbled by the man's own sense of humility, and was yet reminded that there was little in the form of doubt in regard to the arrangement of their meeting on that evening. "We can set aside the ettiquette and necessity for maintaining them, if you wish. I entertain the nobles of Serenno because I have to, as it's the way of my people, my station, and what's in my blood."

He took a step forwards, a hand swerving off to the side to place the glass of whiskey onto the bar just a few feet to his feet. "Though my blood keeps me bound to my home, on Serenno." Lucien continued, slowly shifting his gaze back towards the glass behind them, his eyes leveled towards the great sea of radiance that gleamed down from above their eyes. "My heart is up there. It always has been, and forever will. Ever since my grandfather's intentions were made known, and I chose to flee this world to escape being bound to the Sith, the stars were all I ever knew. They were my home, when that concept was no longer tangible. And they will forever remain so, even if I've donned the mantle of King, or Warlord, and realized that the Stars are not where the Fates intend me to be."

A pause followed the end of his words, the silence forming an ambient tranquility all in itself as he gazed high above the bright lights of Carannia, and up towards the distant memories that he left behind in the sky.

"I asked for an audience for a reason, aside from this meeting being long overdue. The Empire is changing; tides are shifting across the greater Imperium, and in my opinion, not for the better. I've seen it before, when COMPNOR intended to spark us into a war against the Alliance...but things are different this time. Even though we stand strong, forever united by our triumphant victories over the enemies who sought our extermination, internally there's been a shift from the enlightened path that Tavlar wished to see us stride. Centralization beneath an Iron Throne is being clamored for in droves, foregoing the ideals left behind by my brother's predecessor."

Amber orbs dimmed as his eyes shut closed, Lucien allowing Michael an opportunity to follow where he was going. He shifted his gaze back towards Michael once more, foregoing the stars to finish speaking to the Galidraani face-to-face.

"We've forgone our relationship with the alliance, despite the blood shed on their part during the Civil War, and instead maintain this Curtain that divides us from the greater whole of the galaxy. What's left is an Empire stuck within a box; rampant nationalism and distrust for those outside the wall, and a veiled sense of security at the cost of entire people's rights to self-governance and liberty. Ideals that my people, and many others, fought, bled and died for."

Lucien picked up the glass seated next to him, bringing it to his lips and sipping slowly, though his eyes never left his guest.

"I'd be a betrayer of my own principles if I stood by while our Empire returns itself to the dark ages; to watch and tell my people that their suffering to break the bonds holding them hostage was for nought, despite all they gave. Both Serenno and Nirauan, alike."

eZ7Rpfu.png

2nd post

0CHQlz1.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS
Worlds Meet on Serenno

THE WANDERER

Q1eGC7E.jpg

P6w5FH7.png

bzoEp0r.png
bzoEp0r.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS: WORLDS MEET ON SERENNO - PART TWO
d9sYaAh.png

'Lord Michael.'

Turning to face his guest, Lord Lucien was exhibiting warm, kindly body-language, almost immediately eradicating any sense of foreboding or intensity in the way he responded in tone, and in the way he moved away from with the window with a renewed curiosity for the world he walked around in. No trouble whatsoever awaited the Druid, and to the extent he could feel the friendly dispositions in the aura of all four guards manning each corner of the throne room; friendly territory, and to new extents that even the concept itself began to take on new meaning, perhaps even going so far as to completely redefine the very meaning of safety as Barran knew it. It was an entirely new feeling to the Goidelic Laird, always feeling looming threats growing with each enemy his father faced himself off against, from the Noble Exiles PMC-era to the years in which Lord Erskine devoted his efforts to aiding in the destruction of the Sith Empire, there was always some particularly dark reason or other not to stray too far from home.

'We can set aside the etiquette and necessity for maintaining them, if you wish. I entertain the nobles of Serenno because I have to, as it's the way of my people, my station, and what's in my blood.'

I can relate.... My people an' I are practically ruled by it, even now.

Silently nodding, the courtly decorum would be replaced by a mannerly, curious silence in response, watching as Lucien moved his glass of whiskey onto the nearby bar-top, of which the bottle it came from couldn't be seen due to the drinking-hand getting in it's way.

Soon, I need the Force to help me see the others behind the bar though.

Continuing on from before, King Lucien said,'Though my blood keeps me bound to my home, on Serenno.', pausing only to pointedly look out the window so he could better illustrate his point, gazing on the same near-panoramic view that captured the heart of his Woad-born auxiliary-commander. From there, Dooku would keep Barran's attention firmly focused on the conversation itself, revealing,'My heart is up there. It always has been, and forever will. Ever since my grandfather's intentions were made known, and I chose to flee this world to escape being bound to the Sith, the stars were all I ever knew. They were my home, when that concept was no longer tangible. And they will forever remain so, even if I've donned the mantle of King, or Warlord, and realized that the Stars are not where the Fates intend me to be.', and all whilst they were both in the process letting eyes scan the jaw-dropping view of the starry night sky over Carannia's western districts.

Silent reflection followed, but something else caught the Woad's notice, something he was sure the Serennan knew; and in that most serene of silences, entranced by nature itself as the combination of the city lights and the blissful lights of the cosmos carried their troubles away for a blessed, uninterrupted while, (professionally short-lived though it was) Lord Michael realised the same meditative flow-state he was able to attain on Sword Mountain could also be attained from within the comfort of Castle Dooku's throne-room.

How is that even possible, man?

Eyes would remain firmly fixed on the view outside as the realisation was in the process of running it's course, but in true Barran fashion, the innate knack for flowing with every difficult situation and adapting to it would kick in, and in such moments that would disappoint men like the King to see drops in a Druid's focus - and certainly not from Lord Michael of all people. The Wanderer's clan were always known for holding onto each experience to whatever conclusion awaited them, fully understanding the fact that fully embracing proverbial waves to the shoreline always left valuable lessons hidden in the golden sand, paying dividends in the sensed approval of the Serennan standing just a few metres away. Wondering to himself if his warrior-poet ancestor obtained power and knowledge in the same way he was in that moment, the same way Lucien had decades before that night, the Lord-Captain began to feel it, sense it on the edges of his fingertips, struck hard in his heart in the realisation that his true self-actualisation awaited as it had once for King Lucien.

'I asked for an audience for a reason, aside from this meeting being long overdue. The Empire is changing; tides are shifting across the greater Imperium, and in my opinion, not for the better. I've seen it before, when COMPNOR intended to spark us into a war against the Alliance...but things are different this time. Even though we stand strong, forever united by our triumphant victories over the enemies who sought our extermination, internally there's been a shift from the enlightened path that Tavlar wished to see us stride. Centralization beneath an Iron Throne is being clamored for in droves, foregoing the ideals left behind by my brother's predecessor.'

Concluding to allow some introspection of himself, Kong Lucien then began to feel a momentary righteous rage rising up from his gut, and in that exact moment, the Wanderer caught the accompanying amber glow of Dooku's irises at the corner of his periphery; reflecting with an active, burning hue that momentarily troubled Barran before he realised that the enigma standing before him was something almost entirely different to the Sith such eye-glow traits were mostly attributed to, something altogether more nuanced than any Jedi could ever hope to be. There was still something of a darkness to the King's power, like with all Imperials, but instead of being counterweighted by a blinding white-blue light, the Imperial light burning with him appeared far more golden, like the very path Lucien walked had been carved out in ornate inscriptions, almost as if the Serennan's path had been mapped out long before Michael first started deploying with the Myrmidons and the Red Riders back in 869 ABY.

"My brother's predecessor"? Oh, my.... Interesting development at least.

Imperator Irveric Tavlar, a man who Fate decided Michael would never rise quickly enough to fight for, though all could still agree with unanimous ease that Rurik's predecessor was a truly great man, perhaps even greater than any of the Imperials who served the NIO under his seemingly-forgotten guiding principles. Much had changed for the Druid on the day of the Imperator's assassination, seeing his own father lying in agony on the ground set a turn of events into motion that Lord Michael would have absolutely no control over, and in some respects, his autonomy within the Free-State and the Imperium had been patchy at best. At least until the moment he started proving himself to the Serennan population, and in turn proving his worth to the veterans in being able to return from Csaus alive and unharmed. No contribution to Lord Erskine's righteous reconquest of Nirauan had been permitted of the Highland Brotherhood, and to the extent that not even the Novanian Priest-King would be permitted anywhere near New Carannia, and certainly not when the Lord-General was on the ground being left to his own devices at the time.

The old man made his own mind up, his loyalties forever tied to the Felist central-government over his own people, though in times when many had differing views on the active, living definitions of the term, even Lord Erskine's personally detrimental, soul destroying loyalty to the Imperium could be taken as a supreme fidelity of it's own. And yet, despite the potential animosity such affiliations could have created within the family, the words of King Lucien were still somehow taking supreme, persuasive precedence over matters of ominous existential nature, though the matter the Serennan was driving at was certainly beginning to find recognition and eventual late-kicking approval creeping up on the forefront of the Woad's mind. Good timing, as the King of Serenno would finally return his attention to the Highlanders' Druid-Grandmaster, silently looking into the eyes of the noble Half-Woad as he measured the next part of his rundown, but only remaining silent for a few seconds longer in satisfied approval of the Wanderer's maintained sincerity.

'We've forgone our relationship with the alliance, despite the blood shed on their part during the Civil War, and instead maintain this Curtain that divides us from the greater whole of the galaxy. What's left is an Empire stuck within a box; rampant nationalism and distrust for those outside the wall, and a veiled sense of security at the cost of entire people's rights to self-governance and liberty. Ideals that my people, and many others, fought, bled and died for.'

Eventually seeing the King lifting the seemingly-neglected whiskey glass to his lips, Michael kept an eye on Lucien's facial reactions for signs of feigned enjoyment, though the Druid had high hopes for a man he assumed was born only four or five years after he was. Sipping slowly, the Serennan continued to hold the Goidel's gaze with a knowing smirk, enjoying the taste as he swilled it around and continued trying to taste the flavour the distilled tincture left behind, a very good sign indeed. Barran would nod appreciation and receive one in kind without either dropping their gaze, both very much on the same page on the matter of the severity of the Imperium's internal situation, so the escalations would very much be at the forefront of both minds for the rest of the Woad's visit; the reason for why the Druid was summoned was there to see, clear as day - but he continued to maintain his polite wordlessness regardless.

'I'd be a betrayer of my own principles if I stood by while our Empire returns itself to the dark ages; to watch and tell my people that their suffering to break the bonds holding them hostage was for nought, despite all they gave. Both Serenno and Nirauan, alike.'

Confirming what he was slowly growing to expect from the days, months and years following that night, it seemed that elements within the NIO would find themselves on opposing sides of a conflict that would surely bring the Imperium to it's knees, but what King Lucien had not known in that moment was the fact Lord Michael's mind had since been made on the very people who enticed his father into letting secondary affiliations take precedence over his own people. At least, this is how the Lord-General's second son saw the whole affair, nothing would change Galidraan I or III's official position on the Iron Imperator, for the resemblances ended with the political party both rulers mutually represented. However, much to the Wanderer's surprise, his thoughts drifted a little closer to home, thinking on a particularly legendary ancestor when Dooku was still mentioning principles and the dark ages he was wisely trying to avoid.

'My family, as much as I love them all dearly, forget much an' more of our ancestors, and all the lessons that are there for us to learn.... An' none quite so egregiously obscure to the likes of my father than Aleck, my great-great grandfather. Dubbed lovingly by the Woads of that generation,"The Last Rebel-Chieftain.", though I highly doubt it would ever sit well with his sons or my grandfather, nor would this of my father's generation either, as I was always chided, mocked, and reprimanded for going anywhere near any historical accounts and for reading any biographical material of the sort.'

Holding up a mildly placatory hand for a small respite, Barran then turned towards the bar, using his Force abilities to see the shadow obscured labels of the beverages King Lucien liked to enjoy whenever such moods struck in what he already admitted, in his own way, was a setting that felt more like home to him than anywhere else in the Galaxy. Goidels would always pick up on things like that, though much to the benefit of the Serennan, the feelings he was erring away from dwelling on in this case were very much in accordance to the culture that raised the Woad. Making a little fond smile of recalling, Michael would drawl,'The bards of my people, the war-bards - real bards.... They still sing songs about 'im in our planet's largest coastal cities, and with impunity!', as his mind pulled out a bottle of Corellian Redwood whiskey and poured it into the only other glass on the porphyry bar-counter (quite possibly the oldest feature in the throne-room besides the throne itself) at the time - keeping with his powers long enough to lift the filled glass over in continuation of his telekinetic workout after that.

'Imagine dealing with the hopelessness of Fortan subjugation - but for many generations, even throughout the latter part of our clan wars. That's Galidraan III at the time of my great-grandfather's ascension to ancestral governance, complete and utter despair.... Enough t'make a man rise up, t'become what politicians and the tyrants fear most, but I will not go digressing to drum up anti-or-pro sentiments among my own, thus I'll make a point of contextualising this individual so you can learn what I learned before deciding to act in any specific way.'

Quickly resuming from a healthy pause, Lord Michael's gaze returned to King Lucien as soon as his first sips for the only foreign whiskey brand he was aware of, revealing,'The reason he has such a golden reputation among my people is, quite simply, because he did everything in his power to claw back against the might of a faction much stronger than the Goidels would've been at the time.', as if he were back stationed on Galidraan III again, trading backchat with reliable, dependable examples of their ilk. Chuckling in the joy of recalling the lyrics to one of those bard songs, a lot more began to make sense to the Druid as he muttered,'Things even got so threadbare an' desperate here that Lord Aleck was enraged enough to sell off Galidraani state secrets to the Fortans other enemies, sending it all off to Galactic High-Command an' getting himself imprisoned for it.... Absolute madman, but I'm always sad I never got the chance to meet such a legend.', before taking another few sips of the Corellian and smirking with pleasant surprise towards the richness of it's aftertaste.

'As it would be for you with your own people, Lord Aleck very much wished not to have his people thrown back to a Dark Age of a Goidelic sort. An' topping it all off, I realise now that I've been an Aleckist in the making this entire time..... Wishing for the true, lasting prosperity that keeps us well clear of what many Woad-born commoners consider to be,"An Aleckist nightmare".'

Last edited:

sVm0MxG.png

Michael Barran Michael Barran

2d1OJ6G.png

ASCENDANCE

Lucien turned to face Michael, listening patiently to each of the man's words as to not fall behind the Goidelic inflection present within his tone. For the most part, it would appear as if the King was following suit as the story developed further into the mythos of the Barran of old, and the occasional nod from the silent King would confirm this fact as well. It was an interesting tale, and one to which Lucien himself had no match that he could share in return. The tale of the Dooku line was one fraught with epic lengths of courtly intrigue & politicking for the majority of its history. Such was the same for most of Serenno's noble families, though the occupation of the Sith, and his grandfather's ultimate play for power, would seal their dynasty's place on the top for the last several decades.

"Strife tends to follow those who walk a path of their own, it seems."

An eventual reply did escape his lips, delivering an observation of his own after taking in Michael's story, and compounding them with his own thoughts on the subject. "My own ancestor-- Count Dooku -- is thought of as the greatest of our line, despite the fact being that his foolishness and subsequent betrayal at the hands of his master, Darth Sidious, would lead to the end of a long and fruitful life. But it isn't this fact alone which projects him to the upper crust of what it means to be a Dooku, let alone a Serennoan, as defeat at the hands of the Republic, and death at the hand of a Jedi, are no feats which any proud family would ever entertain."

Luc shifted his gaze back towards the glass wall to their front, the corner of his lip beginning to curl into a feint smile as more words begin to flow through his lips. "It is what he did, and how he lived his life before the events of the Clone Wars come to an end, that make him the greatest Dooku in the eyes of our family. He possessed the gravitas necessary to rule Serenno in the present time of chaos, and despite his faults-." Luc trailed off momentarily, just enough to give him a window to refill the half-empty glass resting in his hand.

"He stood ready to challenge the hegemony of the Republic, despite the power and influence it wielded, and the Jedi it used to impose its own version of order upon the galaxy. Though his reasons may have been selfish to a point, and his principles even more flawed to the core, he remained steadfast in the values that each native of this planet is instilled with from birth. We are a free people, who value our liberties and rights, and if necessary our rights to self-governance, even if there exists an Empire, or a Republic, who claims hegemony over the stars above our planet."

A shrug signaled the end of his own anecdote, to which Lucien casted his gaze away from the shimmering Carannian skyline and back towards Michael once more. "He is the greatest of our line, because the war he fought at the vanguard of just happened to embody what our people believe to be the principles of a free and independent Serenno; to be a Serennoan at heart, some might say." The smile resting on his lips creased into a smirk, and he chuckled a bit once the story had come to an end. "..Atleast that's what I was taught by my grandfather. Though I still believe there's a proper lesson in there, at the end of the day the man was a Sith at heart, and found himself betrayed by the Sith in the end. It was entirely possible that our line may have ended there, but thankfully it did not. I intend to learn from his mistakes, and if possible, from what wisdom there is in the history of his path."

"I can not afford submission, whether to the forces of darkness, or to the tyranny that promises peace and order, in return for compliance."

eZ7Rpfu.png

3rd post

0CHQlz1.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS
Worlds Meet on Serenno

THE WANDERER

Q1eGC7E.jpg

P6w5FH7.png

bzoEp0r.png
bzoEp0r.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS: WORLDS MEET ON SERENNO - PART THREE
d9sYaAh.png

'Strife tends to follow those who walk a path of their own, it seems.'

With none taken or given, offense wouldn't ache at the Woad's soul in the hurt he felt in hearing that statement clearly, only the bitter truth of the statement itself. On a tribalistic level as much as personal, but the sincerity in it's utterance only seemed to further endear the Goidel to the Serennoan, very much beginning to feel like he was in the presence of family by then, perhaps even in the presence of one who would become akin to a brother before long.

No longer would King Lucien be an illusive, far-off factor of a seemingly perpetual,"Someday", predicament, not when the link between firm comrades had finally been established.

The Galaxy had changed face many multiple times since Lucien first joined Nirauan's rebellion against the Sith Empire, but now that another was brewing from the other side of the Empire of Irveric's creation, the Druid realised then that his time had come, much like his father had when Lord Willan Tal patched through to the Noble Exiles PMC for the first time. This was an important meeting of minds, this much was obvious, yet still a means to know each other's in some fashion; but somehow still a means to enjoy the calm before the storm, the eve of the very uprising that would define both the Lord and the King in equal measure, but in their own individual, particular ways. Whether they would become two sides of the same cerebral coin, perfecting the concept of quiet rebellion together in the process, time would tell, as there were always going to be certain factors working against them, even without the internal political situation considered.

'My own ancestor-- Count Dooku -- is thought of as the greatest of our line, despite the fact being that his foolishness and subsequent betrayal at the hands of his master, Darth Sidious, would lead to the end of a long and fruitful life. But it isn't this fact alone which projects him to the upper crust of what it means to be a Dooku, let alone a Serennoan, as defeat at the hands of the Republic, and death at the hand of a Jedi, are no feats which any proud family would ever entertain.'

And despite the way he died.... I might still find it easy to agree the progenitor was the greatest.

Remaining silent as his host had when he was divulging family lore with the King, much had been remembered of what was imparted to Barran of the old Dooku legends in his youth, talk of abilities that many Jedi deemed unnatural, such abilities that still somehow left Sith thinking him a threat to their very existence. Ultimately played by the same Sith scum who viewed such power as a threat to begin with, Lord Dooku's death would still retain lessons aplenty for any who dared look into such a turbulent time in Galactic history. Even though there was reverence aplenty for the first Dooku, it was clear that King Lucien was hinting at a need to use what had been learned through his ancestor, and to take Serenno farther into the realm of prominence with all that he vowed to do differently. The Druid couldn't help but feel at least curious to see if the King of Serenno could achieve such greatness, and at most, couldn't help but want to walk every last step of that journey with him - to whatever end awaited such audacious ambitions.

Gaze drifting to the city lights and stars outside again, the Serennoan King would take the lead in pondering on the view of all they would be fighting for in the years following that night, with the Goidelic Laird following suit and drinking away happily with the Corellian he'd picked out in the process as the former continued,'It is what he did, and how he lived his life before the events of the Clone Wars come to an end, that make him the greatest Dooku in the eyes of our family. He possessed the gravitas necessary to rule Serenno in the present time of chaos, and despite his faults-.', trailing off briefly to refill his glass as Lord Michael pondered on the merits of Serenno's leader from ancient times, revered every part across the stars as he was on his homeworld. To be the greatest in any bloodline was no easy feat, but with the King's ancient ancestor considered, it was still somehow very possible for Lucien and the future he was looking to be mapping out before Michael's very eyes.

'He stood ready to challenge the hegemony of the Republic, despite the power and influence it wielded, and the Jedi it used to impose its own version of order upon the galaxy. Though his reasons may have been selfish to a point, and his principles even more flawed to the core, he remained steadfast in the values that each native of this planet is instilled with from birth. We are a free people, who value our liberties and rights, and if necessary our rights to self-governance, even if there exists an Empire, or a Republic, who claims hegemony over the stars above our planet.'

Despite his criticisms, King Lucien's words on Lord Dooku's decisions in life were still spoken with a heartfelt understanding of the family line's progenitor's situation, and with a knowledge of the Clone Wars' naturally-complicated timeline that Lord Michael hoped had long since become mandatory learning material for the planet's many citizens over the centuries. Shrugging, almost as if to suggest that was all he had the competence to say on the matter, closing the book on the progenitor for a while but being left uninterrupted long enough to summarize,'He is the greatest of our line, because the war he fought at the vanguard of just happened to embody what our people believe to be the principles of a free and independent Serenno; to be a Serennoan at heart, some might say.', ending his lore-giving contribution with a smirk that led to a slight chuckle, seemingly in silent consideration of the prestige such terms like,"The Greatest", could grant him in the long run if he achieved it sooner rather than later.

'Atleast that's what I was taught by my grandfather. Though I still believe there's a proper lesson in there, at the end of the day the man was a Sith at heart, and found himself betrayed by the Sith in the end. It was entirely possible that our line may have ended there, but thankfully it did not. I intend to learn from his mistakes, and if possible, from what wisdom there is in the history of his path.'

If the King here is willing to learn from the mistakes of his ancestors-
ktqm6qD.jpg

-Then what the Hell am I neglecting to learn from mine?.... Fuuuck, man!

Proverbially landing right on his lap with weight, right then as the next sip of his whiskey was in the process of being swallowed, was a quandary Lord Michael knew he'd be taking back to his quarters with him that night; the heaviest takeaway from the summons of the night, such the Druid could never have expected from a first encounter in general, let alone a meeting with the superpower he trusted more than any other Force-Wielder like him. However, despite the sheer magnitude of his self-revelation, Barran still found the urge to make a mental note, urging himself to ignore the focus-draining overthought for the sake of his own sanity, and for the sake of the impressions he could've given off to Dooku if he'd continued down this slippery slope of poorly-directed introspection. The Serrenoan would have picked up on this quickly if the Woad had continued to dwell too long, but in true Woad form, the need to stay with the tide overruled every other negative instinct in his mind, body and soul, as it had for every Barran who ruled the Heartlands before him.

'I can not afford submission, whether to the forces of darkness, or to the tyranny that promises peace and order, in return for compliance.'

'Exactly. Compliant submission would mean certain death for us both beyond the point of no-return, better to keep taking your chances then.', Lord Michael weighed in, briefly drawn away from his attention to the matter at hand to finish the contents of his glass and use the Force to bring a fresh glass over, fully intending to pour from the same bottle that King Lucien had poured from just moments before. To the Woad's surprise, the Serennoan was drinking another Goidelic brand of single-malt, one that had their distillery established in the same city he was stationed in during the Galidraani Civil War. Looking back to Lucien, Michael himself also chuckled, almost exclaiming,'Prastaig, you absolute patrician! I love this stuff! May I?', to which one calmly, kindly nod of granted permission was given in reply. After pouring into the fresh glass of the two at his own little side-table, Barran would momentarily keep his comments to himself in the process of recorking the dark-green bottle he remembered so well from his time stationed in Preston city, looking back to Dooku to remark,'You have my gratitude in abundance for this, my liege.', with a bowing nod in respectful reply to the King's own.

'I loved to drink this stuff back in '64, probably started drinking it in the summer months too. Back when I led irregulars, but now, thanks to you, that same militia became well-trained soldiers in the months and first years of our time here.... But my love for the Prastaig Green-Label remains, knowing no bounds - even now.'

Taking his first sip of the nectar he so dearly missed, and for the first time in almost five years, the Druid closed his eyes and remembered a time when things were very different, a time that was filled with uncertainty, rage, and hostilities that still occasionally seared at the forefront of Lord Michael's mind. If ever Barran was to bite the bullet and learn how to beat a Sith in a clash of powers, these moments in his life (much like the Wanderer's experiences with Carlac and Lao-Mon could be in the same context) would serve as perfect fuel for whenever he decided to learn what tapping into that power felt like; however, Michael still couldn't deny the fact he would have much more difficulty controlling and holding sway over that power than Lucien ever did, not that any seemingly-impossible challenges would ever deter a Barran. Such brazen regards to all things insurmountable was inherent, and to such a degree that not even a century of marrying away from the Heartlands could dilute or diminish it, on full display in their eyes at all times - and to the extent not even the eyes of Lord Michael's father or his older brother could escape it.

'Back when my mind still struggled just to slide drinking glasses across wet bar-counters.... Laughable, really. Funny what ten years can do for a man though, hm?'

Last edited:

dexv030-976cfbf4-a833-4bd9-8dd8-de26ba75bade.jpg

Dooku Palace // Carannia, Serenno
Praise God
Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku Michael Barran Michael Barran

dety2vg-b46e0752-e6f2-4b5b-acf8-51bdc34db750.png

A thin beam of blinding light shone through the cockpit, the transport’s cabin steeped in the darkness of space until the system's sun crested Serreno. The air reeked too much of aerosol, burning away the senses with every breath-it was sterile. Durasteel loomed overhead, slowly suffocating as the edges pressed in all around the woman. There was not enough room to reach out-to stretch one's arms, to exist in privacy. One hand balled, clenching at her own limbs, teeth grinding as bootfall echoed behind her. The squad of soldiers and staff prepared. Deft hand flicked through a series of controls, each switch clicked and space traffic’s officers droned over the radio. Sybila did not turn her eyes away from the glasteel panels as the crew prepared for their descent sequestered in the passenger’s hard seat.

She needed a thousand less eyes watching her like a statistic, aurebesh branding her in review.

Her sight was far and unfocused, the grid of power that illuminated the planetside bed together across her vision. It was nightfall on the capitol side. She had been gone for some time and had left at the break of dawn if she recalled right. It could have only been a day that had passed, but even she couldn’t be that beguiled. Entering the system-she felt the spark burning in her mind's eye erupt-klicks out-nestled there at the heart of the metropolis. The woman felt the heel planted on chest crumble, lifting up and releasing her. In one breath she dredged life back into her form, chasing away stillness that had haunted her bones; half lidded eyes turning away from the sun as they were swallowed by darkness.

She was faced with anticipation, the kind that flexed and changed form in a thousand shards.. At the least it would be good to see Lucien again, the short transmission from his advisor had prompted her return. She needed to see a friend, it sounded like he might have need of one too; a cold sweat piling on her neck.

Metallic lingered on her lips, the smooth cold palm of her servo pressed into her mouth as she mulled on stale thoughts. She moved with a mechanic and choppy movement as she shifted in her seat, pulling her hand away as she reminded herself to breath. This cycle of fatigue that dressed either of her changing eyes, the endless queue of comm calls, the constant hot breath that haunted her neck and stacked it’s expectation upon her brow-the Imperial etiquette was threatening to gut her again.

Some days the source of hope seemed to dwindle but it was the boys that reminded her why, other days it was the command under her, but the woman found a greater font in the friendship solidified with Dooku. She had made a deal, to play by a certain number of rules slide into place by an iron hand. They didn’t seem to skim even in the details and she was one hell of a devil, trying to scrub away the stain. One of the few men to never judge, Lucien had played a strong hand. Sybila enjoyed the fact that the chief amongst their Order tormented himself over the proverbial loss to not only the Serrenian but her mere defiance. Fucking hypocrites the lot of them, and the piety touted from gutter to tower across Bastion.

What else was supposed to come of the Order otherwise, without Irveric.

The years felt shorter and shorter each turn and the work felt hellishy longer to the woman, they name no longer carried the same barbs it had. She had watched the rebuilding of this planet-alongside other systems. Turned her eye from the degradation of the others, and bit her tongue and cheek. It was all too much for one person to fix the woes of a galaxy or universe alone. Maybe once upon a time this would have been no to dissimilar to what a General would have faced; aging far more gracefully-a quiet retirement on the horizon.

That hand of cards had been ripped up and tossed into the air on a gambit, now it was littering the ground all around her. This-this was the price worth paying, peeling back each layer. Even if she had to flay scarred sections of herself. She had seen Kreigan and Corvallis, held her boys in her arms again, on routine, under supervision-that didn’t matter. If it made her handlers feel safe, whatever they needed. One Knight, she felt like a bloody parole at the beck and call. Waymar was everything she expected in a servant to the illustrious Rurik Fel. It reminded her then, she would have to drop a transmission shortly. Sybila had to swallow her own scoff, brushing aside the look as her face contorted in petty amusement.

“Less than ten minutes to landing,” the pilot advised, half hearted and occupied with his work. The warning came with turbulence.

"Very well... forward our arrival to the palace, to the royal aide. Cinn, If the Lord Command's planet-side, inform him that we've have returned as well-you'll be working under him for a time to strengthen relations."

"I'll need to reference your comm id's and update my data base, I'll get in contact with him shortly."

It had become routine, and the woman distracted herself-fixing the woolen coat and running her hands down the creases formed. Her work didn’t call for armor, layers of tenebrae, or blaster these days. Somewhere torn between recovery-this warped notion of absolution that had been placed at her feet was a pitiful take of the care administered even for the rank and file. Cogs serving nothing but the machine still, no matter how rusted.

Sybila had made the difficult choice to wrangle herself, it had started with the selection of thought, sewing up damages reaped to the mind because of war all the while walking on eggshells. These were the things plenty of men would underestimate in her, or deemed unworthy. She still was what she was, just different, just evolving. A loose melody crackled over the speakers as the ship shook, the radio transmission flicked back to some locale station of horns and string instruments filling the cabin with soft music. It ripped her from those reveries. Wetting her lips, her mouth turned dry and she imagined the feast ladden out and the drinks that awaited, maybe the poor news that would follow..She would be glad to hang up her mantle after this tour for a short while. Where had the time gone truly?

Maybe it was not time to rest, there was much still to be done-she owed it to Ravraa perhaps most of all. She had made enough excuses to blind herself in the folly of youth, she had never noticed she had been slipping down the steep slope, chin barely above the waters when she had hit the ledge as she treated madness and apathy. The hollow cord was still too easy to pluck, if this was progress or was this just existing. What was she doing for anyone? Selfishness and self-sacrifice were to extremes she had gravitated between, with no set balance. It was going to change. She knocked her hand on the arm rest signaling, her head turned to glancing just over her shoulder.

“Box-boy, go ahead and deliver our coordinates and time stamp back to IMPCOM, send the bantha’s arse the usual while you're at it. Cinn, I want Ban and company recalled, o'eight hundred tomorrow so we can begin training,” Sybila spoke, her voice drawling-every inch of closure to home made her ansty.

“Was it one Sith ritual sacrifice on our way here or two?” the man’s voice rose from behind her, it may have been her mind's eye that tracked the comm officer’s movement or the whine of the holo pad’s electricity she was attune to but she hummed. They had broken the cloud bank then. New Carannia, a gem of starlight painted the view port before them, the castle district rapidly approaching as the transport sped over the city.

“Most definitely two, with a circle of salt and burning candles,” Sybila balked, a mute chuckle shaking her form as she rose from her seat. Waymar Dathrohan would surely appreciate it.

By the ramp hit the landing pad and hydraulics screeched, Sybila peered out into the night, past familiar faces that lined the black top and the swarm of signatures. Lips pressed together, the corner creeping up as something burned on the peripheral of her senses. Cinn accompanied her with a casual swagger. The small detachment from the three hundred and seventh peeled off and braved the series of gates and checkpoints. She breezed through the corridors, it was a quiet night and she offered guard and passerby alike idle nods. The palace burned with welcoming light.

“It’s good to be back,” she said with finality.

“It’ll be a favorable post, working with the Myrmidons and we won’t be getting shot at for once,” Cinn’s optimism bled into his words, though they both knew it was much more. The fair hair man picking up his step to match her stride as they entered the Palace, a faint warmth encircled the body-chasing off the nights chill. “-the city looks impressive compared to the damages you had described.”

“Yes, impressive and packed with plenty of dives I am sure you’ll find. You’ll need to work on convincing Appw’rii to inspect the ‘post’ and..I expect the training drills will be live rounds here too Cinn. Half measures are a sin to the locals,” Sybila snorted. They moved wordlessly after that, slowing to stop at a crossroad of ornate marble floors and gilded walls. The woman planted a hand on Cinn’s shoulder motioning him down an identical hall. “I need to find Lucien, we will brief later. Quarters are that way.”

Sybila waited for the man to turn and retreat before went on. Cinn was a good man but one to easy to get caught up, satisfied only when he had disappeared out of sight. The woman in turn passed like a wraith through the halls haunting the corridors. An out of place officer in drab at first glance, fishing out a small packet she happily clapped against the palm of her hand-the faint thud echoing down the corridor. The woman fished out a smoke, methodically tucking away the pack and lightning it up. Her boots clicking across polished floors as she took a drag off the stub, she wasn't sure if it was real tobacco but it burned like the smell of tar and that was good enough for her. The woman left a faint trail of smoke in her wake as she crawled the palace. The royal guard that circulated around Lucien had long come to know her and no longer stirred at her passing but directed her. She hadn’t made an enemy of the Court, at face value there was some respect but she remained ever the oddity. Matters of Kinghood, the sanctity of nobility was lost on a woman raised on the industry front.

Sybila’s brow creased, in the dim light as doors off the throne room were opened on her behalf by the men at post. It was not the long approach, but from the side halls. It hadn't been the first time she had invited herself in-to well any inch of the keep, but the woman wandered in to the dim hall-observing the curious source, she knew Lucien across an ocean but... She kept her hand close passing, sneaking but another drag off the smoke, the Force wrapped tightly around herself.

She never made a habit of interrupting his work outright. Head tilting as voices however quietly murmured at the far end of the hall before the glass wall. The two men’s figures stood out against the luminous city, her lips parting as it dawned upon her-so this was the kind of trouble Lucien was getting into. The grin that split her lips stretched half her face and the woman held on to her silence. Pinching the smoke between her teeth, her arms loosely crossed as her head swiveled to take in the nigh empty hall. Her thumb hooked upon the lapel of her coat straightening the cloth as she took a few more loose steps forward.

“I dearly hope my auspicious timing warrants a drink too,” Sybila announced herself, voice like overturned gravel. Her servo plucking the smoke from her mouth briefly as she spoke, still grinning like a lothal cat.

Last edited:

sVm0MxG.png

Michael Barran Michael Barran | Lyra 'Sybila' Voikryt Lyra 'Sybila' Voikryt

2d1OJ6G.png

ASCENDANCE

A smile slipped onto his face, the tone of the room seemed to lighten up as Michael caught wind of the Galidraani brand of alcohol that was present upon the bar. Lucien couldn't help but let out a laugh in return to the man's antics, watching his newfound companion help himself to a glass after asking for permission that he wouldn't even wait for to receive. Luc didn't seem to mind it in any case, and took the praise with humbleness and humility all the same. Though he wouldn't admit it at that current point in time, in part because he was far too amused to spoil the moment with facts and full truths, it wasn't even him who'd stocked the bar with the various liquors that were present. The Galidraani Praistaig Green-Label in particular, was a favorite of his advisor Valerian, and therefore the old man kept a few bottles beneath the bar for the rainy days far beyond into the future.

Luc would point this out, after Michael's first drink would eventually run dry, by directing the man to the back of the bar where the majority of the liquor was stashed away neatly. "Take a bottle back with you when you leave, brother. Trust me-- there's plenty more to be found 'round here." Luc chuckled, pulling one of the Green-Label bottles out from the masses and sitting it on top of the bar in full view. He'd go back for a second bottle, one that was filled with an almost scarlet-colored liquid, and sat it next to the already opened bottle of Praistaig that the two were sipping on previously. He uncapped it a few seconds later, and after retrieving a fresh cup with some new ice, the blood red liquor was poured generously to the brim. "Vasarian." He'd call out, swirling the liquid inside the glass with a feint smile on his lips. "It's the first brandy I ever had, back when I used to run with the Hutt Cartels of Keldooine. A bit sweet to the taste, but-"

The smile seemed to fade within an instant, his thoughts once more distracted as a wave of emotion charged with the force surged through his body all at once. He could feel someone, a presence who he could spot out from across from the planet without fail every time. She was someone who he'd turn the entire Empire over to protect, much the same as he knew she'd do for him. Their mutual struggles, and the friendship she offered, had been the catalyst for such a bond to even form in the first place. When he was at his loneliest, it was her who offered him a chance to truly be the Light within the Dark, providing him with the spark that kept him going, when all seemed bleak. She'd been there at his roughest times, and though he couldn't always reciprocate the same, Lucien had did his damn best to try all the same. She was someone he refused to lose, not to the Sith, and not to the clutches of the oblivion that threatened to tear his mind asunder.

He stumbled for a moment, a hand reaching out to the bar as their connection grew even stronger, her presence reaching out to him with each click of his boots against the marble tiles of Dooku Palace. Lucien gritted his teeth together as the feeling grew even stronger, their bond through the force overwhelming his healing mind, though only enough to temporarily leave him impaired. It was a rare feeling, and one that he hoped would recede upon the damage dealt to his mind through the force being fully healed. It would only happen in moments of great stress, and unexpectantly random at that. She'd come and gone on many occasions without instant, but it would seem that the fates would choose that night to alert him vehemently to her presence.

Thankfully, the combination of pain and mental confusion were both temporary effects of his current condition. It would last no more than a handful of seconds, and by the time the doors had opened and she made her entrance, Lucien had recovered from what Michael would be one of the few who were privvy to the King's current state. The smile faded away momentarily as a pair of amber eyes moved to meet Michael's gaze halfways, his head coming to a slow shake as the third to the group began a slow stroll across the length of the throne room.

"Not a word about it, Michael. That's an order."

He would command, a rarity for one of his nature, as Lucien was never fond of using his station to press others into submission. Lyra was there, before Michael was given a chance to respond, and Lucien had seemingly recovered enough to greet the woman with one of the biggest smiles he could muster. A mixture of excitement and joy were on full display as she spoke up, masking whether or not if he was fully recovered to Michael completely. His drink made its way on top of the bar as Lucien made haste to close the gap between himself and Lyra, moving to nearly tackle the woman into his arms, albeit making sure that he didn't burn himself on the cigarette in her hand.

"It's been quiet without you around, Lyra."

A moment not too soon, and he'd let her go, making his way back towards the bar in order to give her the drink he'd just made for himself. Bronze colored eyes shifted between his two guests, and he shared a smile between the two of them. "Michael Barran-- meet Lyra Voi'kryt, one of my closest friends, and one of the few people who's allowed to verbally put down some of the noble bastards at my Court without a second thought. At least, the one's who deserve it." Luc chuckled, eyeing Lyra for a moment and delivering that signature grin in her direction.

eZ7Rpfu.png

4th post

0CHQlz1.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS
Worlds Meet on Serenno

THE WANDERER

Q1eGC7E.jpg

P6w5FH7.png

Tags: Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku Lyra 'Sybila' Voikryt Lyra 'Sybila' Voikryt
bzoEp0r.png
bzoEp0r.png

THE FOLLY OF KINGS: WORLDS MEET ON SERENNO - PART FOUR
d9sYaAh.png

'Back when my mind still struggled just to slide drinking glasses across wet bar-counters.... Laughable, really. Funny what ten years can do for a man though, hm?'

His diatribe on whiskey and the things that changed since had brought mirth to the lips of the Serennoan, though Lord Michael could tell these were King Lucien's smirks and sniggers of appreciative endearment to the personality of the Woad, to that and to the unexpected way his recognition consequently brought out such surprisingly distinct behaviours in the Druid in such moments. Responding in benevolence, Dooku tilted his head towards the bar and stated,'Take a bottle back with you when you leave, brother. Trust me-- there's plenty more to be found 'round here.', finally giving full permission to take what would become the fuel for Barran's next solo hike to the summit of Sword Mountain. With that considered however, the King had another tincture in mind specifically, walking over to fill a glass with what the Laird overheard him naming,'Vasarian.', all whilst Michael's gaze curiously followed and saw the strong red colour of Lucien's next drink.

Men in their element, busying away with their mutual (mild though it was in comparison to some in the Galaxy in particular) vice for drinking expensive beverages, moving as physical examples of what people do in the process of enjoying simple, innocuous light binge-drinking sessions together - only in a much classier setting, among much classier individuals.

'It's the first brandy I ever had, back when I used to run with the Hutt Cartels of Keldooine. A bit sweet to the taste, but-'

Just as the King was on the verge of revealing some of his own drinking histories, and according to the internalised thoughts of the Laird, quite interesting drinking histories by the sounds of it, he was interrupted in his conversational input. However, much to the Woad's surprise, Michael could also feel it, and to his further surprise, the signature was one that both could recognise with ease; the Druid was never able to sense her so easily from so far off before, it normally took great effort to find that particular soul in such a way, but in Castle Dooku's throne room, the difference was quite easy to compare as that Force-Signature he recognised continued to draw closer. Turning back to Michael, Lucien firmly ordered,'Not a word about it, Michael. That's an order.', calmly perceived to be expressing a natural commander's brusqueness, also thought to be in case any threats had been wrongly assumed in that moment.

'Heh! I'm quite happy complying on this one, my liege. I'd be dead within seconds, so ah would.'

Besides the small, short guffaw in response, it would be clear to Lucien in Michael's wide-eyed head-tilt and accompanying half-whispered reply that it was apprehensive consideration of the prospect; even in theory, in it's deepest hypothetical form, there could be nothing in the Woad's self-estimation that was even remotely capable of defeating such nuanced power. Not even in his newly-empowered state, not even in the power he'd achieve in the future, none of it would ever match the power of either the Serennoan or the familiar presence approaching ever-nearer to the throne room. The Wanderer had wandered the Galaxy a little too long to ever fully achieve such power through his Midichlorians alone, but perhaps something of a near-equalling alternative could have been achieved through combining it with powers of a druidic nature, though a fitting balance had not yet been achieved - something that required the insight and coaching of people much more powerful than himself.

But that didn't matter to the Druid in that moment, for a familiar voice, parched though it was in comparison to how she usually sounded, spoke out from the shadows as the woman in question stepped out into plain view of the others.

'I dearly hope my auspicious timing warrants a drink too,'

The Major-General of the 307th Stormtrooper Legion, one who no doubt disapproved of the young Laird of the Highlanders in their first encounter, though the Myrmidons' on-duty medic at the time was certainly a factor in this at the time, and the nosebleed residues on his face wouldn't have helped much either. The second encounter may have scored better for how Lord Michael would be regarded in the following moments, though it probably still would've been remembered with some irritation at least, and yet, in that brief instant between verbalisations, Barran realised he couldn't keep himself from wondering if his swordsmanship advice had been of help on Csaus that night. Citadel Caelitus had not been easy for anyone, even if the Druid brought a Galidraani darksider adept back as a sparring partner, so any and all help given to anyone between Imperials would maybe have gone a long way, perhaps even helping their comrades gain good ground on the Maw as a result.

Briefly leading the Wanderer to internalise a particular thought, such being of the possibility that others were passing advices to each other in the same telepathic fashion that night, from Imperial Knights to solitary duellists like the Major-General, many and more with telepathic abilities assaulted Citadel Caelitus on that occasion. In battles between the archetypal forces of Order and Chaos, superpowers always showed face to hold or push the line with their fellow superpowers - against superpowers on the polar opposite end of their scale's contrast. It wasn't until the moment when Lucien and Lyra embraced that Michael was able to snap out of the intoxicating sense of inner-mindfulness, the same the Wanderer had been basking in since he first walked into the castle's throne room a while before. Quite a potent cerebral sensation, one he would need to master in his own time, one he would need to suppress for the time being if he hoped to be of any conversational use to anyone that night.

The Midichlorians resonating within Lord Michael were behaving in ways he'd never known before, but like most of the drugs in the Druid's Imperial Academy years, there was always a way to cloud such strong rushes, and alcohol was always a good helping hand in that regard. Whiskey always had funny ways of helping Goidels in even sillier matters, and though the matter of his empowerment was far from silly, Barran hoped the same principle could apply for a Half-Woad like himself that night - though moderation most certainly would be needed along the way.

'It's been quiet without you around, Lyra.'

He wasn't wrong, as even the 307th were somewhat quieter whenever they could make it back for training-exercises over the years, though it had seemed to some of the Highlanders that the Red Riders had returned somewhat more driven and focused than before, almost as if they'd strived for perfection before and achieved it in the time they'd been away. Some even went so far as to suggest they'd received training or insight elsewhere in the years since 869 ABY, perhaps even reaching Myrmidon states of seemingly meditational fighting flow. All of it benefitted the assurance of Serenno's safety, and though the toughest legions always underwent transformations along the way, this mass shift in mindsets across the board (and with varying results according to each representing contingent) was most-certainly unprecedented, and to the extents that even the slower-improving Highlanders could feel a little of it in themselves before long.

'Michael Barran-- meet Lyra Voi'kryt, one of my closest friends, and one of the few people who's allowed to verbally put down some of the noble bastards at my Court without a second thought. At least, the one's who deserve it.'

Once again the Woad found himself realising that neither military nor courtly behaviours would serve him well here, and once again the Woad found himself understanding that true power lived here. Any other Goidel or Galidraani in his shoes in that moment would've felt unsafe to a certain degree, but Lord Michael's mind worked a little differently to his kin and planetary neighbours alike, as both the Barran and the Thrast in his blood would only dream of the stars, imagining what it might take to leave his mark on them. Very few found a certain comfort in uncertainty in the Galaxy, but the Wanderer's deep-set hereditary traits were among those that enabled it, and adding to the safety and security he was already enjoying, this moment seemed altogether different to that which he expected. Court settings often changed everything with people accustomed to encounters in combat with each other, easily forgotten, and easily forgotten by the Druid in that conversation at that.

'A pleasure, an' that I would gladly attend t'see as well. Except, around five years ago - I may have been one who deserved it.... My apologies for that by the way, much I needed t'learn back then.'

Looking back and forth between the others with humility and well-humoured demeanour, Barran continued,'Much I still need to learn in present and future tense for that matter, but enough o' that caper. Curious as to how it went with your opponent on Csaus, though there's plenty time to discuss that in the future I'm sure.', finishing the contents of his glass before the next realisation kicked in. Lyra's voice had been parched, telling of a need for a good drink whilst in the process of telling of a need for a good drink, leading Lord Michael to conclude,'Nah, I'm sure we don't do the,"Keeping people waiting", caper here either, I dare say.... So what ye drinking the-night, Lyra?', backpedalling a few slow paces and turning towards the bar with a well-drilled pivot in the right direction. Politeness, humility, and an approachable demeanour, as means of amending poor first impressions, never did any harm after all, and especially not when expressed in absolute sincerity.

His life, his concepts of reality, power and safety, the very things he knew to define who he was at the root of it; every last part of it, real and life-affirming though it all was to the Wanderer, would be subject to change beyond his first visit to Castle Dooku. But Michael didn't worry, not by that point of the night, and certainly not when something much greater was on the very precipice of awakening within him. The far-travelled Michael was in good company, and safe for as long as these people lived to keep their enemies at bay, so all the Druid would do (all he would ever find himself doing anyway) was enjoy history in the making as it transpired around him - as it always would around a Barran.

Last edited:

dexv030-976cfbf4-a833-4bd9-8dd8-de26ba75bade.jpg

Dooku Palace // Carannia, Serenno
Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku Michael Barran Michael Barran

dety2vg-b46e0752-e6f2-4b5b-acf8-51bdc34db750.png

Making room for his presence was welcoming a figurative amount of energy in, he was unconcerned and evolving above such. They could sit in each other's shadows and not balk at the ugliness there. There was little the woman faced in judgment and Sybila could only appreciate the man further. A deep rooted chuckle rose-there was no hiding a surprise, Lucien had already set down toward her, his outline illuminated by the highrise. They both revolved around one alike moth and flame, ready to leap to arms in a greater inferno where the other was concerned.

Yet something else stirred but she felt some waiver across the unseen screen, a hiccup in the flow but the woman kept the concern mute and did not raise the flags, eyes trading between both men. The crinkle at the corner of his eyes had not changed, but even after all this time the clearly darkening gaze struck a chord deep in the woman. He was still Lucien, they both wore the scars of undue stress and anger behind both eyes. She still had to wonder if there had been a moment of clarity sooner, if she could have helped him once upon a time too. She worried the younger man.

Swallowing her reservation a hearty chuckle escaped the woman, holding the burning stub out of the way. The woman was half blinded by the likes of his smile, it radiated-and she held her arms aloft already knowing well enough what followed. It was in quiet moments like this, the boyish side of his youth still revealed itself and not the persona weighed by a heavy crown. She couldn’t help but appreciate the enthusiasm, stepping in to embrace him tightly-her glove clapping his back as clung to him briefly .

Lyra.

The woman inhaled deeply all words, lips pinching-expression hidden as she clapped him on the back one final time before she pulled back. She dressed every inch of her visage behind a placid persona. It crept up her left side and she was deafened by a sudden wave of ringing, she listened to the roar of bells-eyes trailing over the man’s lips trying to follow the conversation. It was harmless she assured herself, reserved for him-Her brows raised assuredly, turning away to draw another deep breath off of the cigarette. The smoke settled deep in her chest before she craned her head to release the vapid cloud. There was violet light and the flood lights through the broken glass on her peripheral if she went searching for it, but if she looked it’d chase the vision away. Her eyes regarded the dissipating fog, one foot stuck in reveries and little gathering unfolding before.

“Quiet? Here? I dare say that..is a lie,” the retort was mustered, foreign and heavy on her tongue and she nearly tripped over the words.

Herself. Herself. Herself. She heard the name again, but another anchor point as she struggled to follow, tracing Lucien’s amused gaze back to Barran. It lacked all the rich embellishments like Coruscant, imprompt introductions and snarking over gilded plates and little horderves. They had met in a little shit hole of a service tunnel, she wondered how that had never come full circle. Lord Dante had been an audience to that, and she expected nothing to pass the man's intel.

Her eyes narrowed just slightly, considering him-the man had cleaned up but she wore heavy lengths of the force around her shoulders guarded. The Galidraani oddity, even if that surmised the lot of them. She remembered a scrappier sort of man, hunting for his break out. The woman forced a smile to still dress her lips, the odd pull and tug at old scars left the gesture muddled.

Sybila offered Michael a simple nod, she hadn’t forgotten the man at all. She may have expected to stumble across his likes in the field one day again, wiser, more tamed, and leading the Highlanders if she recalled correctly. The complexities of both the Galidraan State and it’s local culture, split by civil war, had it been? She had never been as studious, more capable in the here and now but she had not expected to see his likes of the royal hall of Serenno. The woman was sure there was a comment about bringing home all the strays to be made.

“He speaks like I make it a habit, it was only one occasion,” Sybila snorted, giving Lucien a half hearted glare as he sowed some wrathful image of the woman that would appear to terrorize the nobility. She almost wanted to humor him. As the former took a few retreating steps, her boots dragged across the marble, following behind him as Lucien summoned a glass and it found itself passed into her palm. She may as well become a walking children’s nightmare amongst men here, she did not possess the patience to entertain any of them or allow for them to waste Lucien’s time.

The Barran seemed to have finally found his voice and she tilted her head, half following his laced words. Bringing the brim of the glass to pass beneath her nose as she kept one ear open, the woman inhaled deeply the curious tang-it was always a mystery when she went drinking off the man’s top stock. Sybila flipped her free hand over, minding the rich crimson in her cup as she smothered the last embers of the stub out on the wrist plate. It was busy hands that kept her firmly present, and she tucked the remains of the cheap smoke under her vambrace, collecting but another sindge mark from the bad habit.

“Now five years ago..might have just been poor timing in general for either of our parties, Lord Barran. Politics the new and old clouded much of that time-it is better now to make your acquaintance. Your insight on Csaus was far more thoughtful than I expected from a man with a pension for accidental psychic invasion,” Sybila half chided and smoothed ruffled feathers, her shoulders shaking with poorly hidden mirth as short lived as it was. Time had dulled those fangs of hers and she raised her hand to stop the Lordling, perhaps it was the adrenaline that had finally been chipped off and the battle youthful fantasies that revealed a more sincere fellow. She regarded her glass a final time. “-I’ll pace myself with whatever rare delicacies Lucien's poured here. I am sure it will keep me entertained for now. Thank you, of course my friend.”

Sybila raised the crystal toward Lucien in salute before she took a sip, the dark liquid stained her lips as savored and was struck by the brandy’s sweetness. She was glad for something that was laced with more serotonin rather than something that could have scraped paint off the tarmac. A warmth circled its way down settling in her shoulders as she relaxed.

“Now the night is young, and like Lord Barran here suggested there is time later to regale everyone with stories. Odds, ends, the boys, as you know. I received a curious message from Valerian, and that seems to be the more pressing matter here,” Sybila settled in, speaking freely-if it was true and delicate matter then it would esclate so. One finger indignantly sticking out from her grip on the brandy as she pointed at Lucien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom