Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Lore The Enduring Glance, by Ashin Varanin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashin

A
[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]GENERAL INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Media Name: The Enduring Glance[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Format: Book[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Distribution: Scattered. Copies can be found in assorted academies and private libraries.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Length: Short (~40,000 words)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Description: Ashin Varanin wrote this book about one of her favourite abilities: enhancing short-term memory. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]SOCIAL INFORMATION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]CONTENT INFORMATION[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]DEDICATION: “To Her Majesty and the Vagrant Fleet, in memory of better days.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]OVERVIEW: This short book teaches the technique, outlines its history, provides useful anecdotes, and suggests exploits. Ashin speaks fondly of the technique, which she learned as a Jedi Apprentice half a century ago.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“This book offers a quick and easy path. A skilled practitioner can walk back through their own memories of the past day or two, picking out any number of details they did not consciously notice. Nevertheless, there is great value in learning to pay attention. As I teach it, the technique can take a curious mind much farther than a myopic, self-satisfied one.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]HISTORY: “Any number of weak practitioners came from Nadd’s populist tradition. Their records tell us that Nadd was fond of this power. Limited practitioners found it easy and valuable to learn. The Jedi of the day used it as well.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“Like many old skills, this one faded before and during the Skywalker years. Anecdotes indicate that Luke himself used the technique, but from there the record vanishes.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“By the time I began my Jedi training, short-term memory enhancement was an obscure trick that few cared to learn, if they knew of it at all.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]INSTRUCTION: “This technique reflects the spiritual side of the Force in its simplicity.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“Although Jedi used this skill with profit for thousands of years, and without risk, I believe it aligns better with Sith philosophy. Jedi lore teaches them to look outward, to the patterns of the Force and the needs of others, rather than dwelling on themselves. Sith culture embraces introspection (with varying levels of honesty). Focusing on yourself and your experiences is vital to short-term memory enhancement. An introspective Jedi or a clear-eyed Sith will take to this power with ease.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“I suggest learning to use technologies that turn clear mental images into visible projections. I've had a good deal of success that way. It's quite possible to see a scene, return to it in your mind's eye while wearing such a machine, and replicate everything you saw and heard. On a more mundane note, I once flipped through every page of a Sith book in front of its owner, far too quickly to read -- then transcribed it in private for future reference. Creativity and initiative are your only limits.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]HISTORICAL INFORMATION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Ashin began writing this book as a hobby during her Vagrant Fleet days, after the coup that ejected her from the throne of the Sith Empire. After retiring from leadership of the Lords of the Fringe, she finished her first draft, but revisited the project over the next decade and more. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]She finished the manuscript during her years living as Lady Ajira Cardei on Naboo, and as her own clone, Ashin Karrde, on Varunda IX. Once she went public as herself for the last time, she found a local publisher and that was that. Not long afterward, Ashin disappeared, ostensibly for the last time. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The proceeds from the book fund a girls’ trade school on the slum world of Trevel'ka, where a much younger Ashin lived for a year.[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom