Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species The Dwarrow of the Tingel Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khroraic

K
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

27988ccf-dwarves.jpg

stephen-atkinson-dwarf-axe.jpg
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Dwarrow, Zhra-rhô
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Origins: Tingel Arm
  • Average Lifespan: 300-350
  • Estimated Population: Planetary, yet scattered throughout several worlds. Roughly 120,000 Dwarrow spread throughout the Tingel Arm.
  • Description: By all accounts, the Dwarrow appear as a near-human race of shortened stature and stout build. They possess a wide variety of skin, eye, and hair color, similar on the levels of humans. Male dwarves would normally grow extreme levels of facial hair, to the point of foregoing modern full-cover helmets if it impedes their ability to keep their beard. They commonly are described to be as "broad, steadfast, and ugly as the mountains they live in." by undereducated travelers.

stephen-atkinson-dwarf-gun.jpg

PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type 1
  • Average Height of Adults: 1.2-1.5 Meters
  • Average Length of Adults: NA
  • Skin color: Same range as Humans
  • Hair Color: Same range as humans

• Distinctions: Cultural distinctions are what set the Dwarrow apart from their human and other near-human kin the most. It is rare to see a Dwarrish male without his beard trimmed to perfection, groomed, doused with whatever pleasant smells he could find, and shimmering with golden and silver trinkets clamped to it. Clothing tends to be simple and robust for all besides the honor roles in society. Among the Dwarrow, the males were by average slightly taller than the female population. Both, male and female sexes, were prone to growing beards. Xenobiologist assume this is to act as a natural breathing mask when plunging into the depths of their mines. Tattoos, of deeds done or claimed to be done, were incredibly common among the Dwarrow. Upon their ascension into adulthood, most Dwarrow got a single line from one of the Epics their people grew up hearing, something that would guide them far into adulthood. Many Dwarrow got this mark on the back of their dominant hand.

• Races: Generally, within Dwarrish society, the line is drawn on whether or not the Dwarrow lives in Sith controlled space or not. With the Galactic Basic terms generally being Dwarrow and Dark Dwarrow, Sith Dwarrow, or Dar'dwarrow.

• Force Sensitivity: Low The Dwarrow possesses an incredibly low amount of Force Sensitive individuals in their society, many assign this to a bizarre physiological response that the Dwarrow immune system has developed to the presence of midichlorians. Unlike most species, who simply do not have midichlorians or are able to channel them, the Dwarrow have nearly as many midichlorians, as say, an average Force Sensitive human when they are Force Sensitive. The difference is that, whenever a Dwarrow attempts to channel the Force in any meaningful way, normally with abilities that present themselves physically, a strange autoimmune response triggers similar to calcification. The Dwarrow's body, seemingly in random patches, is slowly turned to stone with each casting. For each Dwarrow, the rate varies, and seems to have a direct connection to how powerful the Force Ability or how stressful the extrusion is. Some are lifelong mages in service to their Thaneholds, other's however, may turn into fullsail statues with only a single casting. There is no known way to cure this response, as it seems to be hard baked into the Dwarrow DNA.
Strengths:
  • A Strong as the Mountain! - Dwarrow, by and large, are some of the most resiliant near-humans that you will encounter. Whether this is baked into them via culture or genetics, it is hard to tell, but an average Dwarrow will keep pushing on where other species would have faltered. One more blaster bolt to drop, one last mile in the trek through the desert, one last flight of stairs, as a species, they always seem to press harder for longer. Endurance being won within the mines and hardy lives of their thaneholds!
  • Ain't No Match For A Good Slugthrower At Your Side, Kid - The Dwarrow, culturally at the very least, have a massive preference for slugthrower weaponry in their day to day lives. They are a cornerstone of what would be considered the "core culture" of the Dwarrow. Thus, most Dwarrow are rather adept at the handling, use, and repair of slugthrowers.
Weaknesses:
  • Of the Stone, to the Stone. - The strangest facet of Dwarrow biology. The lack of ability to use the Force without adverse side effects to one's health. It is nearly impossible for a Dwarrow to master the Force, or even use it for long, due to the oddities of their flesh. The slow transformation of meat and bone into stone during casting and channeling is simply something that cannot be overcome. Regardless, some Dwarrow still enroll in Orders and walk the Path of Jedi, Sith, and Knight. This being a testament to the species stubbornness.
  • Rather Short, innit? - A major issue on the field of battle, the Dwarrow are naturally short as a species. This can cause issues when it comes to physical fights. There isn't much you can do against natural height and reach advantages, which are things any Dwarrow will have to consider when engaging with the more standard humanoid races of the galaxy.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Omnivore, Dwarrow can eat nearly any form of food humans can, but have specialized in insect and subterranean fungus based foods.

• Communication: Spoken and written language, mainly that of Zhra-bran. Zhra-bran, or Dwarrish, as it is called in Galactic Basic, is a polysynthetic constructed language spoken by nearly all Dwarrow. This translates to the language being filled to the brim with morphemes and the ability to craft sentence long "words" to transmit ideas. This language is held in common by many Dwarrow Thaneholds, however, isolated communities of Dwarrow who live within Sith occupied space have developed their own dialect, taking heavy influence from ur-Kittât. With a borrowing element from the Sith language itself, this language is normally called Tziz-zhra-bran within the dialect itself. Dar-zha-bran by speakers of standard Dwarrish, however. The speakers are normally called Tziz-zhra-rhô and Dar-zhra-rhô

• Technology level: By and large, most Dwarrow Holds possess a similar ability to other spacefairing societies. They can craft starfighters, ships, faster-than-light-drives, and blasters. They understand tech at a similar level to that of the other species of the Galaxy, however, the trend of blasters and automation never seemed to catch on as a trend within Dwarrow society. An old fashioned slugthrower is the weapon of choice for a Dwarrow, and they have become mastersmiths in the field of firearm manufacturing due to this. Automation, in the form of worker droids and other such manual labor assistant devices, have rarely been used in Dwarrow history. Culturally and religiously, they are tied to the idea of a "hard's day work." The closest they tend to get to automation or allowing droids to take over tasks for them is exoskeletal supports and walker platforms used to assist, but not automate, mining processes.

• Religion/Beliefs: The Dwarrow are a polysynthetic people by their nature. They have a vast pantheon of Gods, Goddesses, and Deities that stretch into nearly every aspect of day to day life that one could imagine. Even each specific Thanehold tends to have their own patron God exclusive to that individual hold. Though, they do tend to share major Gods in common between each hold, though sometimes they may go under wildly different names.
    Zkazdraer, the Creator God and the God of the Stone. It is generally believed that the High God of the Dwarrow, Zkazdraer, crafted the Dwarrow out of the very stone that their Thaneholds were made from. He is the patron God of all Dwarrow and is constantly viewed as a fatherly figure among the pantheon.
    Thamori, the God of Hedonism and Rewards. While hardwork is a cornerstone of the Dwarrish society, the idea of relaxing and taking in the rewards gained from such service is also held in high regard. Thamori is the God a prayer is sent up to as the mead is being poured, as the songs are blaring, and nothing matters but the stamping of feet and trying to hit the right note on the clan-song.
    Grulaz, the Goddess of War and Mercy. Grulaz is concerned with the baser nature of sentience, and is the guiding hand of the Dwarrow during their wars and conflicts. She is viewed as the nature of war as well as it's ending, commonly described as the "humanity in the gore". While she preaches ruthlessness to those that would slander kith and kin, Grulaz still does not look favorably on slaughtering those that cannot defend themselves. Better to arm them, force them to stand, and put them down on equal footing.

• General behavior: The single most important thing in Dwarrow society is the Hold and the Clan that lives there. Dwarrow society is split down into individual families, which in general, are one single, or two or more married spouses, raising their children together. Above the familial unit is that of the Clan. This is in reference to all of the families that have confirmed blood and marriage bonds between one another. Above that, is the the Thanehold. The underground city that the Clans live within. Loyalty to these three concepts forms the cornerstone of Dwarrow society. Those that would betray this union are considered exiles and foe-kin. Dwarrow tend to be rather expert miners, merchants, and inventors. Tending to burrow deep into the lands they live, find rare and precious gemstones, and trade that for outside resources to experiment on. This tends to allow them to keep a similar pace in the tech-level to the rest of the galaxy, due to the general lack of native innovation that would see wide use on the galactic field. Many native Dwarrish inventions are made for specific holds, to settle specific purposes. Many of the Dwarrish Thaneholds are direct representative democracies in practice, with each family able to elect a clan representative, who in turn is able to vote for the Thane of the Hold.

d9izbmd-920f16b1-22db-4bbd-a710-ad02bf27df67.jpg

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
The foundational myth of the Dwarrow shrouds their origin in mystery outside of the theorizing of xenohistorians and other related fields. As the story goes, there was simply the stone, proud and strong. Eternal and everlasting. Though, the stone held souls deep within, that of the Dwarrow. In the stone, they were safe, eternal, and protected under the watchful eyes of Zkazdraer. Though, with time, the stone came under assault. The Light of Zkazdraer that protected them for so long began to turn vile and malicious, the God attempted to fight the corrupting spirits but found himself unable to shield his children all on his own. So, raising his hammer, he smashed it into the stone, freeing it to form flesh and blood children of the Gods. The First Dwarrow.

This myth serves as an explanation, if a purely cultural one, to the mysterious calcification that Dwarrow undergo when they channel the Force. The idea that their bodies are returning to the stone they were forged from as they open themselves up more and more to the Dark Side spirits that their Gods so bravely fought against.

As it stands, the Dwarrow's most likely origin comes from old Core World human colonists in the earliest sleeper ships sent out in the direction of the Arm. As they landed and began to form civilizations and homesteads, those that burrowed deep, far deep into the high gravity centers of planets, slowly evolved into what we now know as the Dwarrow. These Holds were left undisturbed for ages as they mined and fed off of fungus and other subterraneans sources of nourishment. A specialty diet of insects is one of the most commonly practiced one in the Galaxy for this very reason. This tradition of deep-holds being left to their own devices held true for thousands of years, through the worst of Galactic history they remained undisturbed. However, the mines are running shallow, and the populations of the Holds are growing to be too large to sustain without outside support. Thus, the old tunnels were reopened, caravans began to descend from mountains, and the Dwarrow Thaneholds once again opened themselves to the Galaxy at large.

ddz3hnc-2790280b-5a03-4b3e-a90a-888651609d49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ylla Caeli'runa

Y
Khroraic Hello, apologies on the wait here. I enjoyed reading this one. Space dwarves are nice. I just have a few things I'd like to address:

Strengths & Weaknesses | Please add at least one Strength and one Weakness to fit the template recommendation of 2 each.​
Thanes/Thaneholds | Underneath the Heroes section of the Warhammer Dwarves, the Thanes are mentioned. You mention Thanes and Thaneholds. Would you mind changing the names of these rulers and their territories so that they don't directly correlate to the Dwarves in Warhammer.​

Please let me know if you have any questions or give me a tag when edits are complete!

Khroraic

K
Ylla Caeli'runa

Thanks for looking over and reviewing the Dwarrow! More than okay with adding another strength and weakness, but to be honest with you, the use of the title Thane wasn't actually meant to draw from Warhammer. I forgot they even used that as a title.

With Dwarves being based deeply in Scandinavian and General Germanic mythology, I thought a title like thane would be appropriate. The title was derived from English history as inspiration, instead of Warhammer Fantasy.

If that's still an issue however, I can make the change, however, with Germanic culture and mythology being the cornerstone of the Dwarven aesthetic, I would prefer to keep the title if at all possible.

I suppose the use of the phrase on my end was a bit of a mental slip, but like I said, if it's a make or break, I can commit the change. Just wanted to get final thoughts before I go through and make the changes.

Ylla Caeli'runa

Y
Khroraic

Thank you very much for clarifying your intent here. Definitely not a make or break thing because that was one thing that I saw and recognized from the wiki links you posted at the top out of the whole sub. The rest plays into your typical dwarf archetype. Space dwarves are best dwarves.

But, as a Norse polytheist, I appreciate the historical implications :D

Feel free to give me another tag when you've added in that extra strength and weakness and this one should be good to go after that!

Khroraic

K
Ylla Caeli'runa

All should be good now! Here's hopin'! If anything else needs to be changed, please let me know.

Looking forward to letting the galaxy have their fun with the Dwarrow, myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom