Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dead Planet Contest

The Dead Planet Contest

Destroying a planet is taboo. Submitting a planet that's already destroyed is something else entirely. To enter the Dead Planet Contest, use the Planet or Location templates to create the remnants of a planet. Maybe it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland, home to a few survivors. Maybe your fleet melted the planet's crust. Maybe all that’s left is an asteroid field.

The contest will run from June 2nd to June 16th.

RULES

1) The planet or moon cannot be SW canon/Legends canon.

2) Previously approved submissions are ineligible; a place mentioned in your own RP but never submitted is fair game.

3) The destroyed planet must be usable by the community in some way: ruins to loot, resources to mine, land to reclaim, etc. Consider using the Points of Interest section for this.

4) Your character may have been involved in the planet’s destruction, though implausible things like 'I personally burned this entire planet with the Force’ won't get through the Codex judging process. Other writers’ characters/companies/factions may have been involved, but only with explicit consent.

5) Tread very lightly around superweapons, especially the most powerful and iconic ones. 'We deployed an orbital nightcloak and the planet froze to death over time' would be acceptable. 'The Death Star destroyed this moon 850 years ago, and for some odd reason it didn't get rebuilt with the rest' would be acceptable. 'I built a Death Star or a Sun Crusher and destroyed this planet' would NOT be acceptable.

6) Staff and Codex Judges are ineligible.

7) Community members may volunteer to help judge the contest. Volunteers cannot make submissions to the contest. To volunteer, PM [member="Ashin Varanin"] AND Mahet.

8) Contest entries will be judged mainly on originality and effort.

9) All entries must be fully submitted and approved in the Codex by no later than June 16th.

10) All entries must have "Dead Planet Contest" in their submission title.

WINNERS
The grand prize winner may choose one of these two rewards:
  • NEW RESTRICTED MATERIAL SOURCE. Your contest entry becomes a source of phrik, cortosis, beskar, stygium, or void stone (select one).
  • INSTANT MAJOR FACTION STATUS. Your contest entry becomes one of the three starting planets for your very own Major Faction, regardless of all normal thresholds for Major Faction status. The planet location may not reside within an area already claimed by another major faction.
Up to three runners-up may be selected. A runner-up’s contest entry will become the setting for a future Friday Night RP or Event.

Questions pertaining to the Contest can be asked here in this thread. Good luck everyone!

ENTRIES
The following are the entries listed in order of approval.​

Nycteria the Whispering Planet by [member="Kirie"]
Squinos II by [member="Yuroic Xeraic"]
Krekinga Prime by [member="B'Kik"]
Ostarvis IV by [member="Darth Carnifex"]
Hollowend by [member="Seydon of Arda"]
Katosh by [member="The Matador"]
Harok by [member="Adron Malvern"]
Cors by [member="Eralam"]
Khomos Major by [member="Antherion"]
T-ANJD-67Y by Yuroic Xeraic
Halo Daar by [member="Maricana Graye"]
Akeldama by [member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"]
Far Harbor by [member="Darth Abyss"]
Ionus by Amelia Sorenn-Syrush
Komodan by [member="Sunblade"]
Avis by [member="Orion Darkstar"]
Crion by Amelia Soreen-Syrush
Nero by [member="Rolf Amsel"]
Velen II by [member="Asha Hex"]
Pherux by [member="Antherion"]
Umriid by [member="Zaiden James-Greyson"]

B'kik

The cutest capitalist thief you will ever see
Mahet said:
INSTANT MAJOR FACTION STATUS. Your contest entry becomes its own Major Faction, regardless of location and all normal thresholds for Major Faction status. The new faction would have three planets on the SW Chaos Map, one of which would be your contest entry. The other two planets cannot already belong to a Major Faction.
This is kind of confusing does this mean if you win you automatically own a new major faction or does it mean the major faction is ran by a npc

@B'kik

You have a choice between starting a new Major Faction (bypassing the rules of starting a Major Faction normally) with your submitted planet being one of the three starting planets OR you can make the planet a source of Restricted Material.

[member="Mahet"]

More then one sub able to used? Ie, I sub three different attempts?

If it is populated, what should be a cap on the population?

I saw an example, but want to clarify, can a planet that was destroyed say, a thousand years ago, be elligible?

Is there a reference point able to be placed in the map? Ie, " 'Planet X' had a sun explode, destroying it in its entirety, also pushing it out of reaches of the galaxy" is a no-no? Or acceptable?

Because i believe this to simply be see something I saw, I want to bring it up so you can clarify for the whole site - say I make a planet in the solar system i have previously established (Kat'hala/Val'hala/etc), and I win, I can then claim a part of the First Order territory. This in itself is not so bad, as it acts like a won rebellion, but I was making sure it was known as acceptable or not.

1. Yes, you may submit more than one entry for the contest.

2. It is a dead planet. It shouldn't be populated. Dead = uninhabitable / not sustaining/supporting life.

3. Yes. It just cannot be canon or already submitted codex sub.

4. Extra-galactic subjects are a banned item. It must reside within the SW galaxy.

5. If the winner chooses the route of Major Faction they must place the planet in an area that is NOT already claimed by another major faction. This contest gets you three starting planets as if you had applied for Major in the normal way.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Mahet"],

Previous submissions are ineligible, but can we resubmit those submissions to update them? For example I made a planet previously but wanted to make a new submissions for it because as a result of a story arc it was destroyed?

[member="Mahet"] people are telling me that the dead worlds aren't allowed to be settled in any way besides a space station. Is that true (didn't saw it in the rules, but wanted to double check before I go in to deep) because I planned to have some super small smuggler outpost placed there, using the fact that it's an unimportant dead planet as a layer of stealth.

[member="Emissary"]

Mahet said:
1. Yes, you may submit more than one entry for the contest.

2. It is a dead planet. It shouldn't be populated. Dead = uninhabitable / not sustaining/supporting life.

3. Yes. It just cannot be canon or already submitted codex sub.

4. Extra-galactic subjects are a banned item. It must reside within the SW galaxy.

5. If the winner chooses the route of Major Faction they must place the planet in an area that is NOT already claimed by another major faction. This contest gets you three starting planets as if you had applied for Major in the normal way.
A super small smugglers encampment wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, just keep in mind that dead planet is dead. You do you, boo.

Can a dead planet say have foilage, but of a sort that points towards death rather than life? For example: a world has become overwelmed with plantlife, and the competition for sunlight has led to massive forests where these tall trees hide the dead plants beneath it and the sheer size of the trees show that they are doomed to die from too little nutrition.

[member="Mahet"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Emissary"]

There's a little flexibility as per [member="Mahet"]'s original post:

"Maybe it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland, home to a few survivors."

The example that she and I used when discussing this was Mad Max: a few scattered bands of survivors on an absolutely busted planet. Some of the contest entrants so far have taken that kind of approach. Basically, as per the preamble to the contest rules, there's no requirement that the population be zero.

[member="Emissary"]
[member="Ultimatum"]

Yes. But really, the collective definition of what "dead" is will vary from person to person. What we're looking for here is a unique, creative approach to your own definition. If you want dying trees, put dying trees. If you want post-apocalyptic denizens fighting for their lives, have at.

Don't let your dreams be dreams, as someone likes to say.

There's a peacock in the back yard....

*eyes [member="Tai Fa"]*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom