Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Crumbling Dream [Slave]

"That's..."

She found some difficulty putting into words what exactly his offer was. Though her own knowledge of his business was only a few layers deep, remaining from the research done before the collapse began, Magda wasn't entirely sure what the term 'sizeable' meant to him. She dare not share just how much it would take to get GUIDE back on its feet again, if she were so inclined to heave it up from its rather inelegant fall.

Simply put, one sizable donation wasn't going to be enough. Beyond the monetary needs of the company, credits couldn't help her broken spirit.

"...very gracious of you to offer. Most Sponsors gain access to the information available on the Guide in one form or many, but I'm afraid I cannot in good faith tell you that a donation at this point would be worth your while. I just..." the GUIDE Founder and CEO's gaze dipped away from his own, "haven't had enough time to understand the full breadth of our needs compared to the value we can continue to offer."

Maliphant twirled Madalena, letting her momentum propel her through the motions of a slightly complicated maneuver reminiscent of tango, though far more subtly to it. At the end, he brought her into a dip, looking down on the woman with a smile as the overarching music came to a head and slowly trailed off, the murmurs of the crowd picking up against as he lifted her back to her feet, his voice speaking at the same volume as the others around them;

What you’re worth now doesn’t bother me, Miss Lethe.”, he said as he pulled her close to help avoid the turbulent path of a drunken couple somewhere behind them. As she was close, he spoke once more;

If it means you can find something important to you. Besides, I told you I was a scholar, anything means something.”, speaking especially close to her mask before letting go, letting her relax from the proximity.

Would you still like to dance, by the way? You seemed to enjoy it.”, he said with a subtle laughter.

[member="Magdalena Lethe"]

Between the dip, the proximity, his offer, and his breath pressing fog onto her visor, Magda wasn't entirely sure that her heart hadn't skipped several beats. She felt, frankly a bit out of breath.

"I ... think I need to sit down."

Besides, his dinner would be arriving shortly. Maybe.

Once returned to their table and back to their seats, Magda cast around for an appropriate response.

"I had not come out here expecting to be offered, well - anything. I'm still processing what happened and the breadth of damages rendered. I don't even know if we can viably pull ourselves out of the hole ... or if I even mean to try. I guess what I'm saying is that," she took a deep breath, golved hands wringing in a fruitless attempt to find clarity, "I can't accept your offer ... right now, Mr. Harper, as generous as it is. I need time to understand the status of the organization and whether or not I feel it is appropriate for us to continue or better to cut our losses."

Maliphant did little to protest as the two moved back to the seats, meandering through the crowds and tables, various waiters and waitresses, and innumerable conversations that had little to do with either of them. His eyes washed over a few, taking in their joy and drunken nature, vaguely jealous of a time he never knew; at least not consciously. Simply his body demanding something he was no longer capable of indulging in;

As the two finally took a seat back at their table, Maliphant’s food arrived in a serendipitous timing, landing on the table almost as soon as he did the chair. He smiled to the Waiter, answering their question of additional service with a simple ‘No, thank you though.’; all the proper markings of someone with a scintilla of manners.

Carefully, he cut a small piece off the food, taking it into his mouth with care. As he chewed, he moved to wipe any excess from his lips with a cloth napkin next to him; though after he placed it back down he never went for another bite, simply looking up to Magdalena with the same amiable expression and subtle smile.

I don’t mind if your company isn’t profitable, Miss Lethe, just that it continues to make an effort in advancing our understanding of the Galaxy.”, he said with reassuring expression.

If nothing else, let me pay for what records you have; astro navigational charts, anything. Just to give you something to fall back on, if everything else fails.

"I cannot sell you our records," she shook her head, "that information belongs to the galaxy, that was the entire point of GUIDE. We're not intel brokers, we're a public resource. I'm not going to sell out. That wouldn't be fair to anyone that's put their time and effort into our mission."

Brow knitted, a fire stoked in her chest, she felt even more conflicted now than she did before.

"I..." she took a deep breath, seeking a train of thought that didn't muddle through emotion, "I will be happy to accept your donation and place you at the appropriate Sponsorship level. That will grant you access to The Guide, but you must understand that if I do decide to shut GUIDE down, the information will no longer be available to you. Or anyone, for that matter."

Of course, it was presumptuous for me to ask such.”, he said, leaning back in his chair.

Maliphant watched the stance of the woman change, the way her shoulders sunk up until this point giving a hint at how assured she was in her next statement. It was refreshing to see her get some confidence, though he didn’t change his amiable expression despite this; instead simply leaning back in his chair and resting both of his hands in his lap.

If that is what you’re willing to do, then I’m happy to work with you.”, he said once more with a nod.

While Magdalena was certainly great company, he did come into this with a goal; and one he intended to achieve regardless. Helping this woman was simply a side motivation, though one that grew on him slightly as he heard her story and the way she moved about with a weight on her shoulders. Maliphant had enjoyed the night thus far, and this was certainly not the end no matter;

How much would you need donated to feel comfortable? Don’t give me the usual sales pitch, I’m just interested in what will give you some confidence again.”, the Sith said as he put a hand up to her, as if to stop a counter argument before it began.

"If I tell you an amount then it would cease to be a donation," Magda shook her head, reaching into her bag that sat at the foot of her chair to produce a small datapad. Engaging the screen and filing through, when she turned it to the man it read out the various Investment levels available.

"You may choose whichever level is right for you. Platinum being the highest available."

Leaning back in her own seat, the woman folded her hands in her lap and crossed her ankles. She was nothing if not a cognizant student of her parents teachings; her mother having lent the grace and dignity worthy of a noblewoman. No matter what, conduct yourself responsibly and own the space around you, demand the respect you deserve. Magda wasn't sure just how much she deserved at this point, but she hadn't lost respect for herself.

"Please don't feel the need to decide now. Your dinner is getting cold."

Maliphant sat while she spoke, mildly impressed that thus far she had gained some essence of confidence back. Despite all that wallowing she had done earlier, a dance and a meal had helped brighten her day but just enough to bring her out of the depths of despair; and that was enough for him. He put up no protest when she gave him the options of a small screen, and spoke little as she leaned back.

As she mentioned his food, he glanced up from the investment levels and simply shook his head;

Believe it or not, I didn’t really want it. I was just curious is all. Turns out I don't like it.”, he said with a comforting smile, only to turn back to the levels. It took him a few moments, sitting there and looking them over, only to across the screen and look at a few more. He seemed to hum as he did so, mildly intrigued; though he already came into this knowing what level he wished to start out as.

Would 25 million be reasonable?” Maliphant said as he moved to slide the computer back towards her, leaning back in his own chair.

I’d offer more, but I think that is more dependent on what you seek to do with the company in the future. Silver level would be good enough for Blackwell Industries for now, if it's alright with you.

She might have appeared to have shed that layer of despair, but it still clung rather insistently. Magda drew in a deep breath has the man made his offer, Silver Sponsorship, and let it out slowly over a nod. It was enough to make a comfortable landing for her employees if GUIDE did indeed shut down. She would be able to pay their bonuses and their rides home, with enough extra to make sure all the loose ends of everything else were taken care of. At least, she thought it would.

It was 25 million more than they had yesterday.

"Thank you, Mr. Harper, that's very generous and more than reasonable," but there was little more assurance she could offer, "I will ensure it gets put to good use and will inform you of what that use ends up being once I've had more time to consider our options."

Well, that was that. She took up her datapad and packed it back in her bag, tilting her head at his unfinished meal, "I'm sorry you did not enjoy your meal. Have you never had wroonian before?" She recalled, with a hint of ... disinclination, that he'd ordered it raw. Magda didn't think wroonian was meant to be enjoyed raw, but to each their own. The diversity of culture and race within GUIDE had shown her that there were tastes of all kinds.

Absolutely not, no.”, he said with a hearty laugh.

Infact, I just heard it was good from this restaurant in particular, but it seems I was mistaken.”, he said again with a mild shake of his head.

The man had never lost his touch of suaveness, nor the smile he held through their entire meeting. Despite all the shortcomings, supposed disappointments, Maliphant had done nothing but retain a jubilant demeanor and stoic calmness; all that added to the bravado he seemed to put on. What he gave off however was the kind heart of a gentle soul, despite the harshness of the darkside in his eyes, or the festering darkness in his heart; there was a certain fairness to him.

Eventually, Maliphant looked up to her once more, cocking his head to the side as he began to question her;

I hate to ask, but was there anything else you wanted to do tonight, Miss Lethe? I’d hate to have your night end with just twenty five million in the bank, you still seem so…”, he paused for a moment as he thought of the word.

Tense.

Whoever said money couldn't buy happiness certainly knew what they were talking about. That big lump sum did nothing to budge the onus from over her head. She was trying not to act off, but the man seemed capable of reading her regardless of her efforts and regardless of having no face to watch for expressions. Magda was not her sister, her poker face was not nearly so well practiced. It made the presence of her mask all the more valuable in these difficult situations.

"Do I?" she offered as lightly as she could, "I simply ... have a lot on my mind. My poor company is no reflection of yourself, Mr. Harper. Tonight has been delightful."

Maliphant simply idled, humming in thought for a moment as the two seemed to sit in silence; at least conversationally, while the music in the distant still played to full effect. It took a moment before he spoke once more, just for the sake of conversation it seemed;

I can’t blame you, in truth.”, he said with a subtle shake of his head.

You’re going through a lot, no doubt.

As he said this, he moved to reach into a pocket on the inside of his coat, taking a moment to grab a small business card and sliding it over to Lethe, a smile to accompany it as he spoke;

If there is anything I can do to help you, whatever it may be, don’t be afraid to get ahold of me. I might be a bit more influential than you think.”, he finished with a wink.

If there was one guaranteed way to make Magdalena Lethe squirm it was to wink at her. It was particularly effective if said wink came from a charming, suave, debonair gentleman.

Magda squirmed, subtly, and slid the card off the edge of the table to pick up. Gloves be damned, she had no use of her fingernails to pick up such things from flat surfaces anymore. She blinked at the card through her visor, considering the faint purple hue and found herself wondering, with a glance, just what color his eyes actually were.

Living her life through a violet-tinted-mask was something else.

"Thank you, Mr. Harper, that's very kind of you," she meant it, "I would say there aren't many people like you in the galaxy but I haven't met that many people."

Unfortunately, there were plenty of people like Maliphant in the galaxy, even if Magdalena hadn’t known of them. He offered her a gentle, quiet smile as he registered this himself. He enjoyed the occasion of being respectable, being able to drop the facade of a walking hierophant, and tonight did him more therapy than she knew. Even if he couldn’t tell her.

Maliphant simply shook his head, offering her an equally gentle, quiet response;

You’d be surprised, Miss Lethe. I think it's time you started to meet the galaxy.”, he said in the suave manner he always seemed to. At this point it came across more as an accent, than a way to carry his tone; but it fit nonetheless.

I’m sure I shouldn’t be taking up any more of your time however…”, he said as he slowly stood.

You’ve much to do, I imagine.”, Maliphant said as he leaned down to hug his dinner partner. It felt wholesome, if not a bit more tender than it ought to have been, though it seemed to be the nature of Dorian Harper. Everything felt a bit more real than it needed to be.

“As I said, don’t ever be afraid to get a hold of me.”, he said with a finishing smile.

Goodnight, Miss Lethe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom