Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Basics of Life (Phylis)

"I understand. We both have to adapt a bit, I guess. I don't mind reminding you of things. That I can manage. I'm sure we will both get used to it, in time."

Coming into the galley, Izzy settled down into a seat and watched as Phylis prepared their dinner. When Six-Nine showed up, Izzy just giggled, loving the extra treats he offered her.

She quickly munched on her food, and shook her head with a smile. "I like him. He's sweet!" Of course she liked him, he was treating her extra special. She nibbled through a sweetcake, seeming oh, so happy.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]

“Hmmph!” Phylis just replied grumpily. She was not happy that her droid was favouring the girl.

However, she couldn’t stay grumpy for long. She patted the droid on the top of its dome as it rolled off.

“Now, where was I? Oh yes, adventure! Well, hmm, not a very big one. We’re going to a planet within Silver Sanctum Coalition space. Good people for the most part. What we’re doing is conducting some research there and my hope is we might uncover something interesting. It will also be a chance for you to test out that training blade too!”

More giggling, Izzy couldn't help but be amused at the relationship between the droid and the Jedi. It was so adorable to her.

"An adventure, hmmmm .... What are we going to be looking for? Or what is it you hope to uncover?" Curiosity certainly was growing. "And what planet are we going to?" Definitely, she seemed more interested now.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
“Hmm, well, the planet Tygara is one where I have considerable interests. It’s a somewhat primitive world, but some good friends of mine such as [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] now live there. I’m hoping to uncover some ancient secrets from some of their ancient monuments. Shouldn’t be too dangerous, no, hmm.”

She smiled at Izzy. “Now, let’s see you fire up that training sabre. Get a feel for it, and try not to hit yourself with it!”

Izzy nodded, "Ah, I see. I haven't heard of it before. Sounds interesting though. Always like learning new things. It could be interesting, I think."

The little one smiled in return and pulled the training saber out. Izzy looked over the weapon one more time. Finally she pressed the button, and ignited the blade. For a moment she just looked at it inquisitively, memorized by it. Another minute or so and Izzy gave it a swing through the air, to see how it moved. Her eyes widened, "It's so light. Feels kinda odd to be so light."

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
“Hmm, yes, it is weightless. The blade is pure energy, which means only the handle has mass. Those without the Force can use these like swords, but they find it hard to do so because they cannot use the Force to guide them. A weapon such as this can deflect blaster bolts, and the real lightsabres can cut through most materials.”

She took a second training sabre from the rack and activated it beside Izzy. “We’ll start with some simple basics.”
She took a Form I stance, the easiest to learn. The blade was angled up, her stance not quite straight.
“Now, depending on whether you are right or left handed, Izzy, you put your strongest foot forward. The first techniques you will learn are very defensive in nature, but they also help you understand where the blade is with relationship to you.”
Phylis performed a slow circular parry, a step back, then forward.
“Try that for me.”

The idea of the weapon still fascinated the girl a good deal. So intriguing to her. "How interesting...." Curious the little child was.

The girl gave a nod, indicating her readiness to move on with the lesson. Her eyes keenly focused on Phylis, taking in as much as she possibly could. Now of course, all of this writer's characters have to be special and odd - being left handed, since this writer is as well, Izzy was left handed. She shifted the blade into her dominate hand, which truthfully felt so strange to her. She assumed in time she'd adjust to it. And her feet she shuffled around a bit awkwardly to put her left foot first.

The movement for her, was a bit awkward. It was far from natural as she tried to mimic the same movements Phylis had just displayed to her. Though one had to start somewhere. Izzy looked a little displeased with herself, not particularly liking how she felt in that particular moment.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
This writer is also left-handed…Southpaws unite!

Either way, she noted Izzy’s move and deactivated her blade. “Okay, try it again, Izzy, I’m here to help you.”
When the girl tried again she would find invisible hands gently guiding her arms and legs. Thus, when she tried a third time she would know exactly how to move.

“Excellent!” Phylis said with a smile. “A lot of being a Jedi can be repetitive, but there is method to this. If you are faced by danger you need to be able to react instantly, without thinking. When it becomes instinct it will not matter the circumstances, the Force will aid you, and your hands will move by themselves.”

She showed Izzy another basic drill and waited for her to carry it out, helping where needed.

Yay! Southpaws! We must unite and take over the world!

Izzy glanced nervously to Phylis, frowning slightly. "Okay. I'll try again." She did tense slightly feeling the invisible hands. Such an odd sensation. It took a moment to get used to it. The third time she tried the exercise again and this time it didn't feel nearly as awkward.

The smile from Phylis, and praise made her feel a lot better. "It makes sense. I get why it's necessary. It just feels a little awkward right now. The weapon just feels so weird in my hands. I still am adjusting to it's weightlessness." She gave a small shrug after that.

Then onto the next drill. Things were starting to feel less strange and awkward as she tried it out. Phylis' help made it a lot easier. "It feels a little better now. Less weird."

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
“It will get easier, Izzy. In a year you will be able to do it all as second nature.”

They performed some more basic drills for a bit longer. Phylis noted with approval that Izzy’s confidence seemed to grow with each passing moment.

When at last they paused Phylis smiled again.
“Okay, show me all of the drills we’ve done, linked together in any order you choose.”

The young girl nodded, "I hope so. It's just strange right now."

And so they went on for a while longer, practicing and learning more drills to help her adjust to the blade and be prepared to defend herself at least in some small part. She certainly was gaining a little confidence in what she was doing.

Then they had a break. She glanced to Phylis, hearing her and looking a bit anxiously. Now she wasn't as confident and sure of herself has she had been. "Okay ... right, okay." A part of her trying to get out of her own head for a minute. It wasn't like she didn't know what she was doing, they'd plenty of practice.

It took her a moment to gather her thoughts, shifting a bit nervously from foot to foot before she finally began. One by one she worked through the drills they'd been working on. She had managed to do fairly well, the movements looks slightly awkward but less so than when they had started.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
“Excellent! Excellent! Hmm, yes, you’re already getting better,” Phylis said with a smile. She clearly believed in positive reinforcement.
“Well, remember what I’ve told you. Hmm, well I’m going to take us down to Tygara. I have something to show you. You can keep it with you on this ship. It serves as a repository of information and other things.”

Going to a locked cabinet Phylis initially fished around for a key, then opened it to reveal several odd polyhedral shapes. Selecting one she carried it over to Izzy.
“This is what we call a holocron. It’s like a sentient computer which records information. It has a gatekeeper which you can talk to if you want. Hmm, if you need any information and I’m not around, just press this little switch here.”

The holocron was her first one, an early work, but still quite informative.

The praise made Izzy feel a little better about it. It wasn't as bad as it was when she had started. "I suppose so." Though she didn't sound all that convinced of her progress.

She gave a nod to Phylis. "Oooh, interesting." It seemed like this object would be curious and allow her to learn all sorts of things. And Tygara, they'd soon arrive. She did wonder what the place would be like.

Her eyes lit up seeing the device and her curiosity was growing. "That's so cool!" Typical teenager! Truth be told she instantly wanted to run off with it to her room and start to go through it! "I, can't wait." Ah, the curious mind of a young girl. "What kind of information is on here?" She, of course had to ask.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
“Hmm, all sorts of things. Some practical, some historical. It’s a few years old now, but essentially it’s the same. Go ahead and try it. It won’t bite.”
With that Phylis headed off to the cockpit.

Assuming that Izzy did activate it, and kids being kids she almost certainly would, there would be a small shimmering.

A small hologram appeared, a perfect image of Phylis, though a bit younger.
“Ah, hmm, greetings Padawan! Welcome to the Phylis Holocron. How may I assist you? Would you like to know a list of topics suitable for you?”

Izzy smiled hearing what it contained. It seemed it would at least be something worth her time and curiosity. And of course, a kid being a kid, she just had to activate it as soon as Phylis was out of sight.

Izzy cocked her head to the side, looking at the little hologram of Phylis. She seemed a bit in awe of it as she ran her hand through the hologram, wondering how exactly that worked. "Well, uh ... Yes, yes I'd love a list of topics." She was eager to know all the holocron contained.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
When her hand passed through the hologram it let out a little ‘hmmph’.
“It’s not polite to put your hands through people,” it said sternly.

However, it did comply with a list of topics written on the screen.
“Might I know your name, Padawan? Hmm, it will be easier to converse with that small detail.”

It sounded exactly like Phylis, no surprise there!

Izzy grinned and giggled a little. "I'd never seen a hologram quite like this before. I was curious what it felt like." Ahh, the lovely curiosity of a young girl. "So, I couldn't quite help it."

She then seemed to realize she'd not given her name to the little Phylis. "Oh, yes ... Where are my manners? I'm Izzy." Now to the topics at hand. "I think, I'd like to know more about Force Barriers and Shields."

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
“Hmmph, well alright. Just don’t grow up to become the support who puts her hands where they are not wanted!”
Even in hologram computer form, Phylis could give a lecture when she wanted!

“It is very nice to meet you, Izzy. Hmm, is that short for something? Regardless, you wanted to know something.”

“Knowledge and defence are the primary uses of the Light Side of the Force. The Force is capable of forming a powerful barrier to protect yourself from harm. This barrier is not infallible however and standing in harm’s way and relying on it alone is an unwise move.”

“There are several forms of barrier and shield you should be aware of. The first is simply using the telekinetic ‘Force’ as an invisible barrier. This is effective against physical attacks. The technical term is ‘tutaminis’, but I do not expect you to use that right away. Next is a mental shield which protects you from the more insidious, mental aspects of the Force. To be able to shield your mind is of vital importance. Finally, there is a shield which powerful masters might use which is composed of the Light Side itself, used to defend against the Dark Side’s dangerous manifestations.”

“Would you like to know more?”

There might have been a little more giggling from Izzy. She was finding the hologram a bit more amusing than she probably should have.

"Nice to meet you, too. And yes, it's short for Elizabeth. But I rather dislike the name, so I stick with Izzy."

"Interesting, very interesting. I can't wait to experiment and see what these are like in practice."

"Hmmm yes, yes ... How about more about this telekinetic Force barrier. And then maybe a little bit about yourself." Oh the little curious one. Just had to know a little of everything.

[member="Phylis Alince"]

[member="Izzy Aureth"]
“Hmm, well, my name is Phylis Alince, and I was a Jedi Master at the end of the 400 year darkness, about 830 years after the fall of the Galactic Empire. I grew up on Naboo and became a Jedi at age 17. I later became a Master at age 29. When this holocron was constructed I was 33 years old.”

“As for telekinetic barriers, I can help instruct you in this, but you will need an understanding of how to use the Force telekinetically first. Can you do that, Izzy?” holo-Phylis asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom