Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species The Barkspawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
puppy_unicron_by_antubis0-d7far8n.png
-Puppy
http://antubis0.deviantart.com/art/Puppy-Unicron-448959335

HellHound.gif
- fullgrown
http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Hellhound

Intent: To create the bestest puppeh eva for [member="Ibaris Varanin-Jacobs"]
Dev Thread: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/31448-a-sith-alchemists-friends-daughters-best-friend/ - ~7K word solo thread, where Valik obtains the necessary data and materials to create the Barkspawn and creates it.
Name: The Barkspawn( Species name, not individual name)
Designation: Semi-Sentient. A smart dog.
Homeworld: One of Valik’s laboratories.
Language: Barks.
Average height of adults: 1.2m at the shoulder
Skin color: Black
Hair color: Black
Breathes: Type I
• Strengths: [2 minimum]
+Force Cloak: As a result of Maalrass heritage the Barkspawn can render itself invisible. This prevents most from being able to see it, but doesn't protect from heat detection or force sensing
+Lightsaber Resistant Bones: Extremely energy resistant bones.
+Telepathic Howl: As a result of Starweird heritage the Barkspawn has an ability to put out a telepathic howl, making many naturally cower in fear and giving a good shock to many FU's.
+Semi-Corporeal: Due to Starweird heritage can become incorporeal for a few seconds at a time, allowing the Barkspawn to phase out of attacks or through slim walls. This is pretty taxing, and while incorporeal the Barkspawn can still be hit by all manners of Force attacks, such as lightning or telekinesis.
+Force Drain: In anticipation of anyone seriously attempting to injure Ibaris Valik made the Barkspawn able to use Force Drain, but only through it's fangs on a bite.
• Weaknesses:
-Selectively Bred: Valik made the Barkspawn to be a lethal guard dog and loveable companion, but neglected to focus on some practical aspects of a household pet. As a result housetraining will be an excruciatingly long, arduous, and rancid prospect.
-One of it's Kind: There is only one Barkspawn, thus future survival of the species is pretty grim.
-Craving for meat: The Barkspawn can become very distracted in the presence of raw meat, or even the hunt. Notably the Barkspawn is irresistibly attracted to the Ashlan Wolf, which it outsizes and overpowers after only a couple of months after birth, and by adulthood will hunt down and slaughter like a rabbit.

Distinctions: Semi-Corporeal, Sithspawn
Average Lifespan: 20 years
Races: None. Unique.
Population: One
Diet: Primarily meat, but can feed on the Force for a while in times of scarcity, prolonging starvation for a couple weeks.
Communication: Barks, howls, whines, bays, licks, runs, growls, nuzzles, etc.
Culture: No true ‘culture’ as culture isn’t something that can be applied to an individual.
Technology level: Not applicable.
General behavior: The Barkspawn is a very clingy dog, forming emotional bonds with sentients it has prolonged contact with. Once these bonds are formed it becomes very defensive towards these individuals, guarding them even to death. To these individuals the Barkspawn will be playful, friendly, and affectionate, but to others it will normally be hostile.
History: Upon hearing of Ashin Varanin and Spencer Jacobs adoption Valik decided it was a grand opportunity to exercise some alchemy and create a gift for the child. Thus Valik headed to Onderon, then Dxun, captured a Maalrass Couple, was attacked by a Starweird on the way back, and afterwards used data from the Starweird to create the Barkspawn out of the two Maalrass's child. Unbeknownst to the Ibaris one Onderonian Beast Rider, one Starweird and both it's parents were killed to ensure it's creation. In the first few days of it's life Valik continued to examine and modify it to make sure it was a friendly enough pet, and would guard it's owners more fiercely than a Tuk'ata would an old Sith Tomb. Soon the Barkspawn, still only a few days old, will be given to the Ibaris, and it's true history will begin.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Valik"]
Greetings, I will be your Judge for the evening!

Sorry for the wait, I was bouncing back from the Drunkenwad Invasion and some RL business :p

So let's dive right in,
In the Maalrass article there is a mention of the predators being spotted by Jedi and Sith who could distinguish their silhouette. To me that sounds like they could have been detectable to well-trained beings without the use of Force and I may ask you to put in a note about their cloaking being less effective during daytime and out in the open, i.e. outside of any shadows or environmental concealment. If you feel that's fair then please edit it in, but otherwise I'll let you make a case against it as I look more into it.

For Lightsaber Resistance, since the Maalrass only skims over it, I would like you to elaborate on it. Does this resistance extend to their teeth, claws, and any spike protrusions the species could have as shown in the first image? Are their bones completely immune to lightsabers or can the weapons cut through them after prolonged exposure, if so what is the time of exposure for such to happen? Could they still be melted via high-output energy weaponry as prolonged exposure to modern flamethrowers, turbolasers, and ship-grade energy weaponry? Do their energy resistance in any way affect the bones' resistance to physical trauma? Does it make them easier or harder to break or neither?

For Telepathic Howl, is it a purely telepathic attack or does it have a vocal portion as well, i.e. would it work in an environment where there is no air or sound is muffled? What is the range for such an attack- only those who are in view of the Barkspawn, only those who could hear the Howl, or other restriction? Is the Howl only a stunning attack, would it be able to make a person pass out, could it be lethal even? Is it something a Knight, Master rank Force User, or a being strong in the Light Side, could defend against to resist it?

For Semi-Corporeal, I want you to give me a estimate how many times a day an adult Barkspawn could use this power, do they move on the ground when in Phase form or do they float like the Starweird, if so how fast and how high would a Barkspawn be able to float? Also give me an estimate of up to how many seconds would a Barkspawn be able to remain incorporeal, since you included Force Lightning as a mean to harm them in this form, could they be harmed by other energy-based attacks such as flamethrowers, lightsabers, or blasters? Also, how would telekinesis work against them since they have no corporeal body and if it does work, would other pressure-inducing weapons work as well, like a shock-wave from a grenade explosion?

For Force Drain, I would like to know whether this can be lethal after a while, and if so how long would the Barkspawn have to drain the power from its victims to kill them, this is just based on the Drain power overlooking the fact it will be biting its targets at the same time.

Also, while we're on the subject of biting, I would like to see it mentioned somewhere what armor penetration these beasts could achieve with a good bite, and the penetration with a good slash, compare it to an armor rating from scale of 1 to 10. Also, let me know whether their hide has any special properties and what would the armor rating on that be, just to get an idea how easily they could be harmed by mundane weaponry.

Tag me in once you address these concerns.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
In the Maalrass article there is a mention of the predators being spotted by Jedi and Sith who could distinguish their silhouette. To me that sounds like they could have been detectable to well-trained beings without the use of Force and I may ask you to put in a note about their cloaking being less effective during daytime and out in the open, i.e. outside of any shadows or environmental concealment. If you feel that's fair then please edit it in, but otherwise I'll let you make a case against it as I look more into it.
The Cloak is only noted to be perceivable as outlines/shadows to Jedi and Sith. Therefore I'd always envisioned the cloak as more of an illusion than true turning invisible, as while Force sensitives due to have much better things like perception and reflexes chances are if it was merely as simple as seeing an outline somebody other than a Force User would have spotted one, yet we have no mention of such a thing happening. Due to this I don't believe that changing the text to portray the cloak as being more perceptible due to environment or shadows to be accurate to Canon or necessary, though I will ultimately go with your judgement. In any case, the cloak does not render one silent, scentless, or cold, so it can still be detected by many other methods.

For Lightsaber Resistance, since the Maalrass only skims over it, I would like you to elaborate on it. Does this resistance extend to their teeth, claws, and any spike protrusions the species could have as shown in the first image? Are their bones completely immune to lightsabers or can the weapons cut through them after prolonged exposure, if so what is the time of exposure for such to happen? Could they still be melted via high-output energy weaponry as prolonged exposure to modern flamethrowers, turbolasers, and ship-grade energy weaponry? Do their energy resistance in any way affect the bones' resistance to physical trauma? Does it make them easier or harder to break or neither?
Nails/claws are normally made of cartilidge or keratin or some other fibrous material, not bone as otherwise they'd grow too large, wouldn't be able to be trimmed, and even if you could trim them it'd be extremely painful due to nerves. Spike protrusions would be of a similar substance, but the teeth would be bone. The wookiee isn't extremely comprehensive on the degree of lightsaber resistance of Maalrass bones but I'd assume that if a lightsaber against a normal material is like a hot knife through butter than a lightsaber to a maalrass bone is like an axe against a tree, able to cut through, with time, and kinetic energy(Notable more heavy swings than a lightsaber is usually swung at, but I digress). Merely holding it there would but through eventually, but it'd take a while, you'd have to strap it down, and ultimately adding kinetic force is better.

Flamethrowers, IMO, would not melt through it, but it's largely irrelevant as it'd bypass them and burn skin, organs, etc and kill it anyways. Anything big enough to be put on a starship will likely kill in one shot, but hitting it is another matter. Why anyone would be firing a turbolaser as a dog is beyond me, but as you will.
For Telepathic Howl, is it a purely telepathic attack or does it have a vocal portion as well, i.e. would it work in an environment where there is no air or sound is muffled? What is the range for such an attack- only those who are in view of the Barkspawn, only those who could hear the Howl, or other restriction? Is the Howl only a stunning attack, would it be able to make a person pass out, could it be lethal even? Is it something a Knight, Master rank Force User, or a being strong in the Light Side, could defend against to resist it?
It's the same thing as the Starweird's telepathic shriek except it's a howl instead of a shriek. It stuns, is purely telepathic, doesn't require atmo/etc as it's not a sound, and is based on the Force, thus resisted by those with increased Force power and/or mental defense training.

For Semi-Corporeal, I want you to give me a estimate how many times a day an adult Barkspawn could use this power, do they move on the ground when in Phase form or do they float like the Starweird, if so how fast and how high would a Barkspawn be able to float? Also give me an estimate of up to how many seconds would a Barkspawn be able to remain incorporeal, since you included Force Lightning as a mean to harm them in this form, could they be harmed by other energy-based attacks such as flamethrowers, lightsabers, or blasters? Also, how would telekinesis work against them since they have no corporeal body and if it does work, would other pressure-inducing weapons work as well, like a shock-wave from a grenade explosion?
As I said it's based on the Starweird's semi-corporeal nature, which note that they can be affected by the Force even when non-corporeal. Basically using the Force stops them from being non-corporeal and makes them corporeal, so a push would change it's nature. Force Lightning is noted by several Canon Sources not to be normal energy or electricity, purely being based on the Force(which is why Sith Swords conduct Force Lightning but not normal lightning). Anything not based on the Force wouldn't affect him physically(Though sonic or inhalation based gasses would mess with him as he still breaths/hears), but he can only maintain it for a few seconds(Say, three at most) at a time, and maintaining it more than a minute(On and off, not at once) within the course of fifteen minutes or so will be taxing enough to knock him out. Furthermore they stay on the ground at all times.

For Force Drain, I would like to know whether this can be lethal after a while, and if so how long would the Barkspawn have to drain the power from its victims to kill them, this is just based on the Drain power overlooking the fact it will be biting its targets at the same time.
It's based on the Force Drain ability, not quite as fast or lethal, nor as ranged as it's only transmitted through bite. If he just held something there and drained the Force from it he'd kill it in five minutes or so(assuming adulthood. As a puppy it won't be able to drain in capacity enough to kill), but chances are it's not going to hold a bite for five minutes, and if it's just eating on a creature for that long it's probably already dead merely from being eaten on.

Also, while we're on the subject of biting, I would like to see it mentioned somewhere what armor penetration these beasts could achieve with a good bite, and the penetration with a good slash, compare it to an armor rating from scale of 1 to 10. Also, let me know whether their hide has any special properties and what would the armor rating on that be, just to get an idea how easily they could be harmed by mundane weaponry.

I didn't mention any armor penetration capabilities. Therefore it doesn't have any. It does not have Sith Swords for teeth or claw. It does have sharp teeth and claws, like say a Tuk'ata, but not unnaturally so. It'll rip through non-metals just fine, but stuff like durasteel will stop it cold. Basically it rips through cloth like it's cloth and rips through metal like it's metal.

I didn't mention any special properties on the hide. Therefore it doesn't have any. A blaster shot would burn through hair/skin and then stop at the bones. A blade would cut through hair/skin then stop at the bone. If I had to give it an armor rating it'd be a 3 or a 4, because that's wear normal leather usually goes.

[member="HK-36"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom