Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Azimuth Circle (Complete)

Blackwater Reach
Dosuun

"Terin, have you seen Samson?"

Irajah had passed by the doorway to the kitchen, then back tracked two steps to poke her head around the corner. The Seneschal looked up from where he was discussing something with the cook, a slightly quizzical expression on his face as he took in the Baroness.

"I believe I saw him heading to the south wing, m'lady. Shall I help you look for him?"

She shook her head, expression some melding of chagrin and grimness.

"No, I want to find him myself, thank you."

Moving back down the hallway, she missed the small frown leveled at her, but matched it with one of her own. She needed to apologize to [member="Samson"], and it would be better if she sought him out herself.

Not an hour ago, he had startled her- she'd been in her chambers, lost in thought. He probably had knocked and she simply hadn't heard him.

Standing in front of the long mirror, her eyes had traced the scars left by a certain monster across her body. Sith runes, carved with exacting precision. And for what purpose? She didn't truly know. Very slowly, she was recreating them on a piece of flimsy, sketched with a careful hand. She needed to know what they meant, to find the truth in the savagery. Soon, they wouldn't grace her skin at all, as she left this body behind like a cast off shell. And yet, she still needed to know.

With the abandonment of her research into Gideon, into finding a cure, she had the time now to ask questions that had seemed frivolous in comparison to her inquires into the virus.

Despite the slow fire of rage in her core, she faithfully recreated each rune, including their locations on her body.

It was halfway through that task that Samson had stepped in. The slow blink, the slight widening of his eyes-

The very truth of who he looked like, and who he was a copy of-

She had exploded. Fury on her face and the lashing of her words, emotions she had never showed to him before, let alone turned upon his shoulders. Harsh words and raised voice and he had bowed, backing out, never meeting her eye as he closed the door once more.

Once she had calmed down, she regretted the outburst.

He'd told her once that, because of who she was, his creator, she never needed to apologize for anything she did. He was hers to do with as she saw fit.

If not for him, she needed to apologize now for herself at the very least.

Hopefully she hadn't upset or frightened him too much.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

The door closed behind him and Irajah's voice dimmed, before flickering out of existence entirely.

Samson stood there in quintessential silence and serenity. His eyes were unseeing, faded, as he retraced the steps of his memories and his mind briefly touched the figment of those symbols etched beautifully against the flesh of her skin. It had been surprise that caused him to widen his eyes.

Not fear.

Never fear for the judgement of his Mistress.

Before the clone even realized it he was already walking away from her room and the hitched breath that was still raging behind that door. Irajah had power, fury, emotions, roiling closely to the surface of her being, but more often than not she hid it. Samson was not sure why she thought that was necessary.

He wasn't blind. He knew that he was not the way she wanted him to be, but because Ven stayed silent, Samson could never improve himself and become what she needed.

Until today.

A few minutes later a clean-edged knife was in his hand and the large man was staring into the mirror. Clothes were already thrown to the side. There wasn't any trace of shame or even hesitation as he pondered what he was going to do next. Perhaps this would make Irajah accept him.

Maybe if his skin looked like hers she would acknowledge the bond between them.

The edge was set. Pain flared, but Samson simply grunted and continued the press.

Blood started to flow.

There was a long, ragged and sharp journey ahead of him.

"Samson, m'lady? Yes, he came by this way, oh, three quarters of an hour ago. I think he disappeared into the powder room."

Irajah arched an eyebrow. The 'fresher in this wing, on this level was really only half of one. Golden marble sink shot through with white veins and mirrors that covered almost every other surface. There was no shower, no toilet. She didn't throw elaborate parties with perfectly coifed guests, who might need to freshen up their makeup in such a setting, so it typically went unused.

What in the world would [member="Samson"] be doing in there? For almost forty five minutes?

Unconcerned that he would be in a state requiring privacy (it wasn't that sort of power room, after all), she did not hesitate to open the door.

"Samson I- Sweet merciful Maw-"

His face reflected in the mirror over the sink was his usual, calm and stoic self. But the blood was everywhere. It dripped down the sides of his face, his neck, his arms and shoulders, trailing all the way down his spine. Crimson hand prints marked where he had needed to grasp the marble sink at different points through the ordeal.

Hazel eyes tracked up and down and she surged forward, both hands reaching out to still the knife as it was about to continue on its path, tracing blood and pain at angles to the stars themselves.

She didn't register just what he was cutting into himself. The horror that he was doing it at all showed clearly on her face.

Her hands wrapped around his where he held the knife. It was ludicrous- after all, there was no chance that she could physically stop him. Fortunately, she didn't need to. The fact that he was standing there nude was completely overshadowed by the lines glaring from his flesh.

"Samson, my gods, no, stop. What are you doing?"

[member="Irajah Ven"]

The arrival of Irajah did not stop the movement of sharp edge across surface skin.

But neither did it hasten it.

After all Samson was doing this for her and there was no shame in that, but the confusion settled in once the swearing started and she ran up to him. Little hands curling itself around his arm, trying to prevent him from accomplishing what he had set out to do. It was in vain, of course. The runes had been etched deep and only his face was clean from it now.

"I..." The man stopped then. Instead he let her take the knife from him and he turned around, studying her with confusion and perhaps some measure of curiosity. Why was she stopping him now?

"I thought this was what you wanted?"

The confusion embraced his tone as well.

Pain was dancing all around his veins, but he kept his facial expressions clean from contorts. There was no need to worry her anymore than she already was. Even if that worry confused him.

"I did this for you, I thought... you would accept me, if we looked more alike."

But even now Samson was not sad or even disappointed. If this wasn't the will of his Master, then he would try something else.

Irajah couldn't remember the last time she had been dismayed or upset by the sight of blood. Even as a child, it hadn't particularly bothered her. But the slick crimson combined with the words he spoke-

It felt like her heart shattered.

"Oh Samson," she murmured, throat tight. "I-"

I'm sorry seemed so entirely inadequate for the level of 'this is my doing' that came crashing down on her.

It wasn't a baseless guilt. She knew that she had treated him abhorrently. She had not been deliberately unkind, no. But that didn't excuse the rest of it. For the first time, she could see clearly the depth of her negligence in regards to Samson. And here, writ across his skin, was the reminder of that.

Carefully, she put her hand on his, where he held the knife.

"Give me that, please."

Slowly, she inspected the blade. Clean, sharp, that was something at least. One of the better knives in the house probably. It was small comfort.

"Let me take a look at that," she said softly, more gently than she had ever spoken to him before. "I'm going to clean them.... so they don't get infected. Then.... then I think it's time that I told you.... about why."

This damage was directly a result of her unwillingness to take the time to explain. To be near him. To look at him. Nothing she could say could make this right. But maybe she could do better by him.

She was not Kaine. And neither was he.

She drew out the first aid kit she had insisted be available in every refresher. The immaculate white towels were drawn down without even a breath of concern. Somewhere, in the back of her mind, she made a note to have all of the bathrooms switched to darker schemes so black towels (good for only two things) would be available. But there was no hesitation about staining these, now.

Or on getting his blood on her clothes while she worked.

"You reproduced them accurately, for such a short glimpse," she finally said, her voice subdued as she wiped a disinfectant carefully across his shoulders.

It hurt, a searing pain in her core, to see this reminder of what he had done to her, now traced across Samson's body. And in truth, she couldn't blame anyone for this, for Samson's blood on her hands, except herself.

[member="Samson"]

[member="Irajah Ven"]

From there it was a haze of pain and soft touches and softer mumbles.

It would be inaccurate to say that Samson was pleased right now, because it was such a foreign experience to be... dotted over. The thought did not even enter his mind that in some small measure he had managed to breach the endless gap between the two of them today.

Instead he was settled down and investigated, while alcohol and towels were used in royal numbers to stem the bleeding and disinfect the wounds created.

"It was strange," Samson responded after a while, in between hissed breaths as the alcohol stung against his skin. "It felt strange to draw them on my skin."

He hadn't even noticed that the emblems were strangely dissimilar to hers.

In the beginning the drawing had been the same, but the farther he came, the more his hand seemed to be held by his subconscious and it left its own mark on the network of cuts. It would be difficult to notice, because the changes were so subtle in comparison to the more overt entirety of blooded cuts and edges.

But perhaps Raj would notice once she had some time for herself and gathered her thoughts.

"You do not owe me an explanation, Master, I thought this was what you wanted. I apologize if it displeased you."

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1j2LoW3P14[/media]​

It became almost meditative. Wipe off the blood, gently, always gently. Study the lines, hunt for potential problems with future healing. Swipe across disinfectant. Apply a pearly gel that would function as both a stabilizer and bandage as it dried. Move on to the next series of lines that arced from his flesh up to the stars. Angles and lines, curves and crosses. Each one told a story of her failure. Each one a silent accusation that [member="Samson"] would never speak to her.

"Strange how?" She asked quietly as she shifted around. "Please.... kneel. So I can reach your neck and the side of your head."

It was the first time that she had asked him to do that. Usually, her response to his kneeling was bemusement at best, but more typically exasperation. Now, however, she asked it softly of him.

Her tunic was already stained with his blood. Her hands red with it, caked beneath her nails.

Kaine's blood.

​Samson's blood.

She sighed, chest tight.

Slowly, she started moving her hands across his neck.

"You're right," she said then, eyes focused on her work. Though she didn't look at his face, it wasn't the same as in times past. She wasn't avoiding it now. "I don't owe you anything. But it is unkind, and unfair, of me to not explain. Because the reasons you have displeased me, up until now, are not your fault. And if you are I are going to find a way forward from here..... it's not something I owe you, Samson. It's something that, in a way, already belongs to you."

[member="Irajah Ven"]

The request for him to kneel did not sound strange in his ears and already the large man had gone to them.

That still made him slightly taller than she was - a natural combination of his tall stature and her.... not so tall stature, but then he bowed a bit. This would give her the access she needed to do what she wished with him. The alcohol seeping into and against his wounds stung. Burned even, but it was a pleasant burn for some reason. It refocused his attention on the now and allowed him to process things with more clarity.

For example the fact that Irajah seemed entirely out of her depth here.

Samson had noticed it before, slightly anyway. Only now did the clone realize just the extent of it and that worried him immensely. He was counting on her to give him purpose, but if she didn't know herself?

What did that mean for him?

"If it is your desire to tell me, I will listen, Master." Samson responded carefully, before gritting his teeth when the towel hit a particularly sensitive spot.

Only then did the clone notice he hadn't actually answered her question from before. He mulled it over, tried to look at it from every single direction and came up frustratingly short. How to explain what Samson had felt during the time he wielded that knife? It wasn't something that could be accurately described with words.

"It felt... like the knife was following its own path, I started it, yes, but by the end the knife was pushing on on its own?"

As she worked from rune to rune, her suspicions grew. By the time he answered her, one mark in particular had confirmed certain fears. So his words, at that point, came as no great surprise to her. After all, she'd seen these marks before. No. Not the ones on her own flesh.

But on Kaine's

Only once, at the hospital on Dosuun. Despite her fear and rage, her subconscious mind had registered them, and the work she had done with [member="Ashin Varanin"] made drawing them out from the depths, once she knew what to look for, child's play.

His had been tattoos, not raw and jagged wounds. But at some point in his ministrations, [member="Samson"] had subconsciously switched from carving the scars on her body, to carving the tattoos on Kaine's. There on his flesh was a melding of the two of them, and it made her stomach roil to find yet one more thing tainted by that man.

"You pushed the knife, Samson," she said softly. "But not the way it sounds."

She spoke while she worked, standing in front of him, her eyes on his cuts. Every now and then her voice would falter, but each time she pressed on.

The story unfolded from the beginning. She held back none of it, especially the parts she was ashamed of. At first, it would seem as though the tale could, in no way, possibly be related to him though. Occasionally she rambled, back tracking, explaining something that required further clarification. She spoke of Panatha. Of Braxus. Of Kaine. The narrative unrolled slowly but steadily, as she spoke of her research for the pair, of the growing manipulations that she had, at the time, been unaware of. Of the first hints that all was not well and safe, hints that she had disregarded because she believed in the affections of a certain man.

From the very first day to instant it had shattered utterly, she explained and left nothing out, told with frank and occasionally brutal self assessment of her own decisions. There was no trace of the blame she had once held in her own soul for the series of events, but she was not kind to herself or her own mistakes and unwillingness to see things as they were.

When she reached that night- the night where she had received the scars- she paused. He was missing one mark. The one that was absent on Kaine's flesh, but rode in prominence on her forehead, hidden by thick locks of dark hair. Even that then, was revealed, as she spoke, clinically, as a doctor would, of what had been wrought on her body that night.

The time after, of rebuilding herself with the help of certain others- that she glossed over. Not to keep any of it from him, but because, it seemed at least to her, that it was less important as far as Samson understanding was concerned. The story picked back up on Dosuun, the words Kaine had spoken there, and of her rejection of them. Of Doctor Vain, the copy he had made from her, from blood taken when he had tried to take so much else from her. Of the roiling, burning nausea she had felt when she had finally grasped how he had taken so much more from her. He had taken her face. He had claimed loyalty from a mirror image of her.

"It was easy," she said quietly. It was hard to tell how much time had passed, but she worked on the last of the extensive wounds that covered his body. "As a Doctor, it was surprisingly easy. To gain a sample."

Slowly, her hands dropped from the last line and for the first time during her recitation she met his eyes. There was real regret there. Not because he existed- perhaps for the first time, that wasn't the mistake she wished she could take back.

"You are the clone of Kaine Zambrano," she said finally. "I thought that turning the tables, I would figure out some form of revenge that would mean..... something. Anything. But what it comes down to, Samson, is that I am not like him. That they did not change me as much as he claimed to have. Because you are not him, Samson. You-" she paused, swallowing hard before continuing. Truth here. All of it. No matter how difficult. It was the only path forward from here that she was willing to entertain.

"You are his clone. The clone of a man I loathe more than anything else in this galaxy. Except for one other. And the reason it has been so hard for you to make me happy, isn't anything you have done, or failed to do. It is because you were cloned from one. And you look like the other. I did not expect that, and it was.... to call it difficult would be wholly inadequate. To look at you and see the eyes of a man who claimed to care for me..... but who would orchestrate what was done, looking back at me..... I still don't know why he did it. I may never know. But I need you to understand. Because this is your legacy. But it doesn't have to be your destiny. And I am promising you, now Samson, that you are not either of them. Or, at the very least, that I will try to stop seeing them when I look at you. I might not always be good at it. But you deserve better than being the goat that carries their sins for them. And I am sorry, because I was blind- to my own hubris and failings. You deserve better than that, too."

[member="Irajah Ven"]

The tale was a long one.

Lengthy and heavy and difficult for her to express to him. It was in the frown of her brows, furrowed, in the set of her jaw as she clenched to try and regain a semblance of control, when she recalled how much control had been taken from her. Surprisingly enough Samson didn't feel anger because of what had happened to her. No emotions whatsoever, in fact, except the lingering pain every time he was stung by the anti-septic touching his wounds.

"If it makes it easier, you could change my face." Samson offered after a moment of thought. That seemed like the most logical conclusion and solution to the problem posed.

Samson wasn't really attached to... himself, because he didn't consider himself a... himself? At the end of the day the clone served at the very leisure of Irajah and would literally walk off a bridge, if that was what Ven wished of him. Perhaps that would change the more he grew disillusioned with a lack of vision and control.

But that was not now yet.

He stayed silent after her apology and the words that expressed he deserved better. Those were strange meanings to him, because in Samson's mind he deserved exactly what Ven gave him.

If that was good or bad, that didn't matter.

"Do you still wish revenge against them, Master?" The clone inquired with a curiosity that was mildly foreign to him.

"It would be easier. Yes."

She stepped back slightly, hazel eyes sweeping over his skin, the angry red lines that she knew all too well. Her tone had clawed its way back to simplicity. Quiet and subdued but matter-of-fact.

"But it wouldn't be better, Samson. Easier rarely makes us stronger. Simply more complacent. And if there is anything I've learned, it's that complacency is a death sentence."

She had done all she could. The wounds were deep and would leave scars. But was that, entirely, a bad thing? A reminder for him of who, and what, he came from. A reminder for her-

He was still kneeling when he asked his question. Her eyes swept to his face, her own completely expressionless as, for the first time since he'd awoken, she gave herself permission to truly look at him. Gaze swept over his features, so familiar, and a hundred tiny moments tried to assert themselves.

Most of the memories, if she would admit them to anyone, were not, on their own, bad ones. Only when viewed through the lens of intent did they take on that blood red hue of fury and loathing.

Did she still want revenge?

The answer was incredibly easy.

She didn't ask his permission. She didn't need it. She watched him carefully as she leaned in. Her eyes didn't leave his, didn't even blink as slowly, almost gently, she laid a kiss on his mouth. It was short, lasting only a pair of hearbeats before she drew back.

She felt nothing. Not the nauseated loathing. Not the fire of either hate or passion.

Whatever she might have felt, once, for Braxus Zambrano, did not translate to Samson.

For the best.

"Yes."

Her gaze held him there for a moment longer.

"Revenge is too kind of a word for what I will do to them, Samson. It implies an end point. As though a single act could fill it."

The smile that curled over her face was one he had never seen before. But in times to come, would grow all the more familiar.

"And you will help me."

[member="Samson"]

[member="Irajah Ven"]

Samson listened to her words and found wisdom in them.

Adversity, pain, it all gave them power. It made them stronger than they were, because they were forced to overcome that which had once been too much for them to handle alone. But through ingenuity, through work, through focus and staying the course, it was possible to become more than you first were. Not that Samson would have mind having his face shaped and changed for Irajah.

Before he could respond, she became... harder than she usually was.

It was something in her eyes that warned him - yet, the clone didn't move away when her lips touched his. It was an innocent kiss, it meant little to nothing and Samson was more confused than anything.

His head tilted in confusion once she retreated.

But once again her mind worked faster than his, already onto the next portion, before Samson could wrap his head around it. Perhaps at a later moment he'd try to figure out what it was that they had just... done.

"My life for yours, Master." And instead of kneeling, he bowed down completely and submitted to her will with no hesitation.

After all, this is what his purpose was and would always be.

To serve in any way he could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom