Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Agenda

Flint Pherson

F
Galactic Center

He stood by the long clear windows without moving. Only waving a hand to tint the glass against the setting sun. It was a silver boardroom that ran red with the colors of the evening. Even the lush pale clouds beyond the white towers seemed to light aflame in rich and terrible colors. Flint liked that part of Coruscant. It reminded him of something too.

"Admiral. Ms. Page says that the Chancellor is on her here way now. She'll be arriving in only a moment and her staff apologizes for the delay. I've brought the Agenda you requested as well. I'll just leave it here and return to Jerry at the front desk. Mm."

Flint nodded with a wave of his hand and the secretary took her leave of the room. Careful to place her portfolio on the long boardroom table before leaving. The crisp, golden door swooshed closed behind her and left Flint alone with only the colors of the evening to keep him company. He liked the silence. It reminded him of something. I think it reminded him of home.

The Chancellor appeared a few minutes later. Normally she felt it appropriate to leave her arrival a few minutes late just so that her guests could feel that she was in charge. This time though she had been genuinely delayed by some matters which had come up.

She entered the room and nodded slightly to the Supreme Commander. "It's nice to see you again, Commander. I trust your day has been good so far?" she asked politely, taking a seat opposite.

Flint Pherson

F
He turned and offered a shy smile,

"Yes. Yes, very good."

He nodded and seated himself. Back straight, chest facing the length of the room, and resting his forearm on the table. His body language spoke of preoccupation. Though he was in no hurry.

"Heh. ...Did you know that I got to spent the morning reading a book over coffee. Oh yes. A welcome change, even I must admit."

He gave a soft smirked before raising his chin,

"Now. What can I do for you Madam Chancellor. I understand you wanted to discuss some Security concerns today. Yes."

"Excellent," Aurelia said, smiling politely.

"Though by no means am I a soldier, I have been reviewing matters, with input from my advisors and so on. I believe it is important that we understand matters. First of all, reviewing your production figures, I was quite impressed by the numbers I am seeing. Have you come to any conclusions about the organisation and control of the various forces now under the Republic's control? I would also like to express my concern at the lack of amenability of the Jedi Order. Have you worked towards a solution integrating them into the military hierarchy?"

Aurelia was not one for small talk when the business of the Republic was there before her.

Flint Pherson

F
Flint spoke with the gruff certainty of a veteran soldier. Though he trusted that the Chancellor was understanding of his lack of charismatic finesse,

"The Grandmaster is a busy man. Regrouping his priests as best he can on Tython. I've found their metal production to be facinating and their combat prowess to be promising. But so far we have no commitment for integration of any kind. ...We. Have a policy in place should any singular Jedi feel motivated to rally to our cause. But. As of now? ...They seem content to simply raise Temples in honor of their Gods."

He shrugged. Flint found the Jedi a privilege. Not a necessity. Though, that did make fighting a war more difficult.

"In reference to our production. Yes. I have a few conclusions. One. The Core Worlds are a welcome benefit to our cause. We have no lack for materials, production, or scientific genius. Only volunteers. We lack sign ups."

He faced the Chancellor more fully now and breaded his fingers together. Body language confirmed his commitment.

"We have money. We have metal. ...All the Joint Fleet lacks is people. Good. People. ...People who can live and die amongst aliens, technology, and the dark of space. People who will leave their home planet and venture elsewhere."

He paused,

"I'm. ...I'm currently working on a new recruitment campaign aimed at university students and merchant star-captains. I'm sure you'll see it when I, and my staff, have it all finished."

"I certainly hope I shall," Aurelia said dryly. She considered the Commander's words carefully. "It is people you lack. A nation lives and dies by the people it has under its command. What you need though is you need talented people, not just crewers who will do as they're told. Though I am no marketing expert I think that we must be careful how we present this in order to get only the right sort of people. The Republic's Academy on Kuat provides a top quality education, I hear. Therefore, we should make graduation desirable for people. Pay scholarships for the best, provide good job security and conditions for the others. Either way, we must convince people, not compel them. That causes other problems."

"I am pleased to hear that other matters are progressing well, Commander. The defence stations at Kuat, Anaxes and Bilbringi are near complete also, I understand."

Now came the vexing part of the meeting. "The Jedi...linked to us, but uncontrollable. We must be careful how much they are taken into our confidence, Commander. Unless we can guarantee their support in war they are of no help to us."

Flint Pherson

F
Hmm. Her perspective on talented personnel was unique. It was obvious she wanted only the best for the Joint Fleet. Did that make Flint wiggle a little under his skin? Not really. The thought of being replaced was a welcome one. He was Supreme Commander because of Dex's recommendation as well has his own efforts in the early war. He wasn't here for the money. Though. Others would be. She was right. Priorities needed to be where the money went. That was certain.

"The Jedi are a church like all the others. It's their power that makes them unique. I've seen alien races that could dwarf humans size and intelligence. But Jedi magic is universally powerful. Indeed. It counters the Sith well."

He paused and watched her face. Waited to see which keywords drew the frown. Jedi. Magic. Power. Sith. Flint watched to see how Aurelia reacted to each and everyone. Flint learned a lot about watching faces. Posture. How they kept their weight. In war, it told you when to pull the trigger. How committed your opponent was. Flint could learn a lot by watching faces. And that was how he liked it.

"The Senate still controls the Jedi's leash. Tax them. Tax them their exotic little Temples. ...And watch them falter. The Jedi are weak. Loose cannons. Most of them can't agree on a single doctrine. Even more question their own God and beliefs. ...No madam Chancellor. With all due respect. ...We must win this war without them. ...The Jedi are vigilantes at their best. And terrorists, at their worst."

He leaned back in his chair. Showing little empathy for the little-gods called Jedi. He respected them as a General respects his opponents. He plans for them. He counters their moves. But ultimately, he looks past his opponents and foresees a world where they are no longer a problem. This is the vision of Flint Pherson. A galaxy that no longer needs... Jedi.

This view fascinated the Chancellor. it was very much in line with her own beliefs, yet they were beliefs that few shared. Many believed that the Jedi Order was the rock upon which the Republic was built, but this did not need to be the case. During the time of the Old Republic's fall the Jedi had acted as a reactionary and limiting force on the galaxy, and Aurelia did not want this to become the case again.
She concealed her emotions though, very careful to give away as little as possible. In itself her calm, disinterested features would give away that she was hiding her opinion.

"Your view is most intriguing, though I fear it is not the majority. I however have long been of the opinion that the Jedi cannot be relied upon. I grew up on a remote world with no contact to the outside world until I was almost an adult. Coming from the outside I saw the Jedi Order as a barrier to democracy rather than an aid. They are useful, no doubt, and they have skills especially against the Sith that make them valuable. However, we should not and cannot allow them to influence them. If they help it will be on our terms and not theirs. Do you agree?"

Flint Pherson

F
"I agree that we must work together."

Flint never actually agreed to anything a politician said. It was good habit to get into, he found. Always rephrase and agree on a compromise. It's subtle. But speaks volumes.

"If the Jedi priests ever got their so-named, 'perfect' Theocracy moving? A type of, top-down government from God himself? Well. Then we might have a problem. Though, I don't believe their Gods or Spirits actually have any desire to govern this galaxy as their own. Dark-side Patheon not-withstanding, of course. ...So I don't really foresee any conflict's of political jurisdiction in the future with the Jedi. ...Just. Just the Sith really."

He paused to review that statement. Everything he knew about the Jedi came from textbooks or demonstrations of their unique, 'whatever-you-call-them' abilities. He knew they existed, he knew they didn't care, and he knew he couldn't count on them. They were just misguided priests and warriors looking to prove their valor and self-righteous to a galaxy's worth of spectators. Everything else was just semantics for the old veteran. He was bored with the topic already and that showed.

"But yes. To backtrack. Our production continues well-above my expectations. As long as we can keep channeling that money and effort towards impacting goals? I foresee a bright future for The Senate. And for it's war effort."

He re-postured back to his favorite line of thought. Kicking butt and taking names.

"We will eventually be at war, I know, but we are not for now. The moment of conflict should be as long delayed as possible. While of course we have a military machine of considerable power, I am not keep to use it unless necessary. The Mandalorians and Sith are fighting each other to a standstill, and giving us valuable time to consolidate. We must be very cautious not to begin a war before we are ready."

They had moved on from the Jedi, and Aurelia was happy to let the topic go. She would discuss matters with the Grandmaster again soon, but until then she was determined not to compromise the needs of the Republic.

"I have made gains in acquiring the Hapan territories. Their conditions are surprisingly lenient, they want a Hapan in a high position in the government, and I have decided to make the daughter of their Ambassador my Vice-Chancellor. Secondly, they want to retain control of their own local affairs, which I have granted. Finally, they want to retain control of their fleets to defend Hapes, but accept your overall command for other operations. I do not see issues with this."

Flint Pherson

F
"And. What do we, get? Their verbal support."

It sounded like Aurelia was bending over side-ways to accept these Matriarchs. He disliked how little the Hapan's seemed to commit. But he continued quickly to equalize his opinion.

"Well. I'm sure we will see many great changes upon their arrival."

He didn't mind disagreeing with Aurelia on how much the Hapan's pitched in. He just didn't want to argue about it. She had other advisors for that. Truthfully Flint wanted to see other systems flocking to their banner in mutual-defense against the growing superpowers of the universe. Sadly. Most locals didn't share his perspective.

Aurelia was in her element when faced with doubt. "We get them as an outpost against enemy expansion. Hapes is a planet with considerable wealth, and so I have organised for them to pay half their duties and customs to us. However, we make them a vassal that points out into space near the Mandalorians and Sith...they are their first target. We must use this opportunity before someone else takes them. I have plans to fully annex them...in time. The Hapan fleet will be useful to us in defending that area of space. And if they were to suffer defeat then they would be all the quicker coming to us."

Everything was done with a view of how it might benefit the Republic and Aurelia herself. Nothing could take priority over that.

Flint Pherson

F
Angles on a map. He could appreciate that.

"Well. I'm glad you've found the territory for a mutual understanding. Getting everybody in the Senate to work together is a never-ending task in discipline and moral. We're lucky to have you Madam Chancellor."

He leaned back in his chair. His life was quickly becoming nothing but staff meetings and board room moderation. The days of trooping around in armor seemed long past. In a way. He kinda missed it. Life was simple then. He had never quite recovered to a life of soft chairs and pretty assistants. Part of him wanted to ask Aurelia how she did it. ...Part of him already knew. Pure, raw, grit. He could do that.

"I'd also like to say that in my experience, a firm stance is an aggressive one. Myself and the Chief's are very much looking forward to testing our new toys and getting our Navy boys some experience. Until then. ...We will do everything in our power to see that the Senate's Fleet is ready to sail. We are at the people's command."

He left out the personal identify words. Your Fleet. My Fleet. Our Fleet. It was good sometimes to remember that Flint worked for the common good. Not just the bickering lobbyists downstairs.

"Excellent, Commander. I am glad that we are in accord over these important matters," Aurelia said smoothly. "Ord Mantell has come to my notice as a potential acquisition. It is a planet of criminals and scum, but strategically it could be valuable. It may be a good option for you to test yourself at without committing to a larger conflict."

She smiled. "Is there anything more for us to discuss, Commander?"

Flint Pherson

F
"Mmm. Oh. ...No. We are agreed on all points. I concur. Nothing more madam Chancellor."

He would look into Ord Mantell. Yes. It, and many other things, were on his agenda. Flint stood up and gathered his things. Offering a brief smile,

"Meeting adjourned. ...Till next week then."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom