Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrors of the Wild

csN5FhwR_o.png

Dathomir
It had started about a month ago. Just the slightest oddities within her dreams and nightmares, things that didn’t even make sense. A glimmer of a presence, a whisper against her ear, small things that were missable at the start, lost within the twisting nether of the mind.

But then they got increasingly louder, more prominent each time they showed. Words spoken became more clear, as if the person was standing next to her. At first Maiev didn’t recognize the voice, until they finally spoke a single coherent word.

“Evie.”

There was only one person in the whole damn galaxy that would ever call her by that name.

Vaermina.

Her childhood friend, the only one in fact. And the person she had effectively abandoned ten years ago. Back then Kalax had been a lot more self-serving, and had seen the young woman as nothing more than a distraction for her host. She had already dedicated time; instructing Maiev at the age of eight to move into the Wilds, and oversaw her training, to allow someone to ruin all that work.

However time had passed, and the spirit had eventually abandoned those goals and simply guided Maiev along with her life and goals. But time also had a way of eroding memories, and she had admittedly forgotten about her old friend, and instead got lost in exploring the galaxy.

But now it seemed Maiev’s past was calling her back, literally reaching across the galaxy to find her. How? She had no idea, but it was clear Vaermina needed her.

It didn’t take long for Maiev to figure out the location, her instant thought being of Dathomir. And following the messages in her dreams and nightmares guided her in the direction of her homeworld.

So she had dropped what she was doing at the time, and made the journey to the planet. Settling down in a clearing she knew of close to the Dathomir Wilds.

<I...I don’t like this Maiev.>

The witch agreed with Kalax, but she didn’t give the spirit a real response. Whatever she was about to find here was because of Kalax; and her as well.

[member="Vaermina"]​

They had kept her. They had kept her, but now she was free. The bones would not break, but the flesh was weak. It succumbed to rot and sharp things. It was watched, she knew, but slowly it degenerated. One day, one moment, they had looked away and she had escaped the rancor prison. A holding cell within the hollowed-out corpse of the gargantuan fallen beast with bones for bars with only its thick skin and meat standing between her and freedom. It had not chosen to be slain, to be mocked like this. It whispered to her at night. It was angry. But it wasn't her fault.

She was bait, always bait. The last prey of the rancors. The last one they saw. She knew they blamed her for it, but it couldn't be helped. But now she was free. Now she was running. Bare feet kicked up dirt and mud, her shins were covered in it. At least there was no blood there. She dared pause to breathe, lean against the trunk of a tree. As soon as there was peace, it was interrupted. She couldn't hear anything, she didn't need to. She felt it. No, they knew, they must have known. Have to keep running.

Vaermina broke away from the treeline and into the opening. A wild look on the brunette girl, with her long, wild and unkempt hair. Dirt all over her face, dirt and dried blood. She had Leather and hide for clothes, some of it coloured, but most of it old and faded. She recognised the village immediately. It had been cleaned. She knew it would be empty. So she hurried, long legs carried her across the ground littered with falling leaves towards the centre where all things died.

Her left foot slipped, losing touch with the soil, and the accursed witch fell straight forwards and down into the ground. Arms pushed against earth, but they were weak, tired. Just one moment. And in that moment, as a gust of wind carried leaves, guiding it on a path to the abandoned village, one set out from the pack and fell down, slowly, swaying in the air before landing on Vaermina's head.

Here? Was it here? It had to be. The leaf had fallen on her head in this exact moment, at this exact spot. There was no other explanation. Something would come to pass in this spot. She had to wait here. But how could she? As her mind struggled to lay out a plan in a moment of calm, her concentration was broken when she heard it. The bushes rattled loudly, she could hear it even from where she was. Voices, sounds coming from a dark hunting party. They were onto her trail!

They're coming. Coming. You'll be caught. Run! You're gonna die. Run! She's already dead.

But she couldn't run. Not now, not when she had found it. She had to hide. In a rush the girl got up from the ground and darted away from the town centre, away from the open, and crashed into one of the rundown houses, barring the door shut behind her with a table against it for support. Now she waited, but for what she did not know. The only thing that was certain was that she could not leave this village. If she did she would surely die. Salty tears broke the dried patterns of her skin. She was just so tired.
| [member="Maiev"] |​

Being back on Dathomir was a strange feeling for Maiev, and probably would've been more so if her mind wasn't solely focused right now. She had never looked back after leaving eleven years ago,

Well, that wasn't entirely true.

There had been the months afterwards where Maiev wanted nothing more than to return and be with Vaermina, to continue helping the younger woman as she had been doing for years prior. But Kalax wouldn't allow it, her training in the Wilds was complete and it had been time to part for the galaxy and continue it.

Vaermina had not been part of that, was never intended to be. Kalax had tried stopping their interactions from the get-go, but the spirit only ever had so much control - and back then she wasn't able to risk completely trying taking over Maiev for something as petty. So she had remained patient, allowed the two witches to become friends until the inevitable happened.

Kalax was Maiev's master, there was a level of devotion built up over the years that provided a major push in Maiev's decision to leave Dathomir, despite what she'd be leaving behind.

Vae was too inexperienced, too young. Twelve years old at the time, to Maiev's eighteen.

Those were the things she had told herself, to convince her she was doing the right thing. Was she correct in those? Perhaps. There was certainly no benefit of taking someone so young across the galaxy, into all kinds of dangers.

But now she was back home, trekking through the familiar jungles that were the Dathomir Wilds. Years spent here had built up a memory of it, even after the time gone Maiev found herself easily following the same paths she had taken back then. Only this time she was following something specific, or rather someone. The moment she had landed on the planet, Maiev could feel that presence lingering far away.

The same one that had been haunting her dreams and nightmares.

Her journey eventually brought her to an abandoned village, one that Maiev didn't quite recognize but it gave off vibes that did not settle well in the witch's mind. There was something about the place that made her skin crawl. She continued walking further in, moving towards the centre until she felt the telltale sound of her boots hitting a bunch of leaves on the ground.

In that moment something in her gut made her pause, a presence unknowingly brushing against her as the wind swept her hair up slightly?

"Vae?" She called, voice being carried across the village.

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

For hours she could hear them. The dogs hounding her, the shouts of murderous voices calling for her blood. They circled the village, there was no escape, she was surrounded. But she wasn't trying to escape. She had found her spot, she was hiding. This was where it would happen. If only she could know for certain what!

Death. You'll die here. Hahahah. This shack is the last thing you'll see. He'll get you. You'll die here. Hahahah.

"Quiet!" Vaermina hissed. They were too loud. The hounds could hear them, she was certain. Not now. She was so close. Not now. Oh please not now.

Why isn't she running? It's too late. We're surrounded. Run! You'll die here... It's too late. Weak. Tainted blood. It's her own fault.

"Vaermina" No... "I hoped it would be me who found you." No no no "But deep down, I knew. It had to be me. It was always going to be me" Go away, no no no no no no go away. Not him. Not you. "I have something of yours. You want it back, right? Your mother's sword. I kept it safe" "You should have died!" "I didn't" "Why won't you die?!" her voice reached a high pitch and threatened to tear.

His laugh filled the shack with ease. The male Dathomirian with an impressive set of horns atop his cranium looked down at her, dressed as he always was in his simple studded leather armour, her sword in his hand. She wished she had that sword now. She had given it to him once, when she dug it deep within his chest. There had been so much blood. But he hadn't died. She thought he had. But he came back. Somehow he had found his way back, and he was coming for her.

He found us. How did he find us? What will she do? She has to run! Fight. How did he find us? She's gonna die. Fight! He will kill her. Do it yourself. She can't. Weak.

Vae had been as far into one of the corners as she could manage. But now it was time to stand. He would kill her. She couldn't let him kill her. Not now. Not when she was so close. Surprise was all she had. He was arrogant, she knew him. Her hand had gathered up rubble, probably falling down from the roof or simple dirt gathered up over time after its cleansing. She threw it at his face, aiming for his eyes!

"That's MINE!" she lunged at him, wrestling him for the sword, but he headbutted her forcing her to stagger back. The only good thing that came of it was that he dropped the sword. At the top of her lungs she screamed. There was so much desperation in her voice. And at this point, it was highly likely that Maiev was going to hear that. Then she charged him again.

The fight was gritty, the pair slamming into walls and tables. Finally he stumbled, but came back angry, but he was too angry! Vae managed to sidestep out of a heavy jab and elbow him in the face. When he staggered, she did it again, and again, and again. Her tormentor spun around in pain, exposing his back, and she put all her remaining strength into a hard kick, a kick that sent him flying out the door, breaking it off its hinges.

She did it! Kill him. Finish it! Don't let him escape. It's a trap. He's not done with you yet. Kill him! Now's your chance!

Vae ran out, a wild, frantic look of murder muddled with terror across her features. She looked left, right, everywhere, but he was gone. Where had he gone? He was a coward. And so fast. And a coward! Would she ever be free of him? How could she have let this happen. No. It wasn't over. It would never end. But he was gone. And all that was left was her. She couldn't stand it anymore. Tears started streaming down her face, blurring her vision. Her hideous sobs filled her ears, she could no longer hear the wind or the leaves.

Vae

When she turned around she saw something she had missed the first time. It wasn't him, but there was someone else there. A person! A figure! A... Evie? What?! It couldn't be.

She's not real. You're going crazy. She's with him. They're going to kill you. Run. Fight! She's not real. You're going to die

But it was her. She was there, staring at her, mouth agape. Maiev! Maiev the traitor! She had traded one devil for the next. But there was no fight left in her. She was so tired. Her eyes filled with water, her fists clenched. Squaring up to face towards Maiev completely, she cried out at her, screaming her lungs out, a desperate howl of defeat and despair.

[member="Maiev"]​

Maiev received no answer in response to her call, nothing beyond the slightest of sounds around her. Trees shaking in the wind, some manner of creature dashing through bushes, even the sharp squeak of a wooden door was it was pushed and pulled by the wind.

<Something isn't right about this.>

Kalax reiterated her earlier worries, only this time Maiev felt it too. There was a disturbance in the village, and she wasn't referring to the Force. Not entirely anyway. Maiev reached out, using Kalax's guiding hand to brush against an unseen plane. The witch chanted quietly, twisting a Dathomirian spell under her tongue as she connected with spiritual plane.

Anger. Spite. Distress.

Fear. Conflict. Betrayal.

There was an unrest that had spread across the entire village, thinly layered and smothered by time. Yet something managed to linger, potently wafting from one plane to another. Maiev went to tug at the connection, but felt an impulse that pushed her away. She tried to follow the thread, but found herself blinded by an unknown mania.

"Wh-what was that?" She spoken openly, as if the silent village was going to provide an answer.

<Whatever was connecting it, the source is somewhere here. I can fe->

Kalax was interrupted by the sudden sound of something crashing in one of the buildings. Maiev's attention snapped in that direction, feet moving before her mind could catch up.

<Maiev, I urge caution here. We don't know what->

But the witch wasn't listening, and instead continued walking towards the house in question. There was something about it, something familiar that was echoing from its depths. Maiev reached out with the Force, searching for what she suspected...and hoped.

Then in one fell swoop, she revealed herself. The door was knocked flying open, and a woman; covered in dirt and dried blood. Dressed in leather and hide, patched together with little organization. Maiev knew it was her, even without being able to see her face. It was Vaemina, she was sure of it.

Vae?

A small bit of telepathy seemed to be the trigger, and the witch watched as her old friend whirled around to face her. Immediately, Maiev's expression shifted into one of concern as she took in Vaermina's state. She could see the emotion welling up in the woman's eyes. The sudden scream that tore from her throat, one of despair and defeat caused Maiev to step back out of surprise.

What had happened to her?

Slowly Maiev began to approach Vaermina, cautious steps each time. She identified the other's stance, ready to jump into a fight but showed signs of fatigue. It didn't mean she was going to approach this any differently, if anything it hardened her desire to take it slow.

"Vaermina, it's me. Maiev." As she got closer and closer, the witch reached out with the Force, in hopes the familiar presence might calm her. Although she wasn't entirely thinking straight, otherwise she probably would've remembered the fact she had abandoned Vae to this. Eventually, Maiev managed to get in arms reach of her old friend. She could feel Kalax's suggestion to not press matters, but Maiev couldn't help it.

She reached out to touch Vaermina.
| [member="Vaermina"] |​

Maiev. Evie. It was no coincidence that she was here. She had started seeing her. She was there, in her dreams. So real. It felt so real, like she could reach out and touch her. But she was so far away from Dathomir. She had always been just out of reach, out of sight. But now she was here? What did it mean? Was this what the leaf had foretold? No, it couldn’t be.

She’s not real. I’m going crazy. She’s here to kill you. No, this doesn’t make sense. She knew. She knew what they would do to you. She let them have you. Fight! So tired. No more fighting. You have to fight! Now’s your chance. I don’t know if I can.

She didn’t want to fight anymore. These past few days had been nothing but fighting and running, ever since her escape. And it had not been her first. They had punished her harshly for that. They thought they had broken her, that she wouldn’t try it again. But she had. Now she was here. Now it was over.

“No” Vaermina said through a sob. “You’re not real” They brought her here. She’s working with them. “You can’t be” She’s going to kill you. She’s already dead. “You left. Why are you here” He’s with her. “I just want to rest. I don’t want to suffer” You will always suffer. You’ll never escape. You will die here “No, I can’t… I don’t want to die” No escape “Why are you doing this to me” She hates you. “Why do you hate me” You’re weak “I am not” You’re worthless “I am not!”

Her head hurt, like it was going to explode. It was too much. It had been building, building, and now she couldn’t even pretend to ignore it. She was going to die. Her skull would explode. The leaf marked the spot where body turned to corpse. It was the site of her grave.

“Vollar Vergarí aiedail iet!” Vaermina cried out in a sudden burst, an old incantation spoken as her hands raised up towards Maiev. The leaves rose up from the ground, surrounding the tormented brunette before shooting out towards Maiev. But that was all there was. All she had left, all she could conjure. Leaves and wind slapping against the other woman. She had wanted to do so much more. But she couldn’t. She had trusted Maiev once. And a part of her, knowing this was the moment she was destined to die, wanted Maiev to be the one to do it. Maiev, not him. It was okay. As she died in her arms she would conjure up the memories of a time when they were happy, when they were friends. She would pretend. And die with a smile on her face.

But Maiev didn't flinch. Did she know? How could she know. The leaves washed against her but she did not seem phased. The other woman simply walked towards her slowly. She could feel her. Like truly feel her. Maiev felt like she had then. Was this what evil felt like? Sweet and seductive before it wrapped its cold hands around your throat?

Maiev reached out. Vaermina could feel her hand against her arm. It was warm. It felt real. Vaermina grabbed it. Hard. Was she going to die now? If she was, she did not want to die alone. She did not want to forget what it was like to be near someone. Vaermina pulled on the hand, stepping out towards Maiev. Her arms would wrap around the other woman’s back. All of her felt warm. One last time, she would hold someone close. And so Vaermina pulled Maiev tighter to her, and tried to convince herself she was ready to die.

[member="Maiev"]

It was so easy to get lost within that concern, the worry for a friend or someone you simply cared about. To forget about all your own wrongs, betrayals you had dealt to the person in question. She had abandoned Vaermina to this, to whatever had happened to her in the time after they had gone their separate ways.

They had been kindred spirits before, both of the same kind of blood; Dathomiri and Vahla. Neither had known their mother, or father for that matter. Maiev's mother had died with her newborn daughter in her arms. Vae had simply never known who her mother was.

Maiev had been treated like a reincarnation of a goddess, whereas Vaermina was looked upon with scorn.

And yet both found themselves living in the Wilds, on equal footing. One through self-exile, another was forced into it. It had been so easy for them to get along, to find something in common to bond over. They had become quick friends, despite the different paths they were walking at the time.

Maiev had entered the Wilds to train in solitude; aside from the spirit that resided in her body. And Vae was there trying to survive. She had helped Vae in finding a home within one of the Wild Tribes, but that hadn't put a stop to things and it became a frequent sight to see the two witches together, wandering about the village.

Now she had returned, and she honestly didn't recognize Vaermina. Something had changed in the years they had been apart. The woman she remembered wasn't like this. Where was the Vae she knew to be eager to learn, so quick in thought and tongue that she even gave Kalax a run for her money. Nor was there any of that patience she admired in the woman, something Maiev had distinctly lacked for years before.

The witch continued walking despite Vae's incantation. She recognized it of course, the pair had practiced their spellwork and fighting before. But it didn't make a difference to Maiev as she let leaves and wind whip past her.

Once she was in reach, she had touched the woman's arm. Her reaction was swift, and hard. Fingers digging into Maiev's skin, although she saw something else; felt it even. Vae was searching, for what Maiev didn't know, but she was quickly getting an idea. The emotions that were rolling from her in waves, the way Vae looked at her. It was if the younger woman didn't think she was real.

"Shh, I'm here Vae.." Within moments Maiev felt the woman's arms around her, hugging her. She immediately responded, wrapping one arm around Vae's back while the other went to the back of her head; fingers threading through the woman's wild locks. "I'm here." Maiev tried to soothe her into slumber, gently stroking her hair in hopes she would calm down.

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

It was so easy to get lost in time. Your senses lived in the present, the only thing keeping their experiences was alive was memory. But memory eroded over time, fading to the back of the mind. When it grew weaker, it was as if emotions and logic tried to collaborate to patch it back together. How had she felt at the time? Given that, what likely was the missing piece? Such was the brain’s deception, instead of admitting to forgotten knowledge it created lies.

And Vaermina’s brain had lied about Maiev. She had been sad when her friend had left. Devastated. Walking through the town and observing the wilds didn’t feel the same. The people she was left with were alright, but that was all. They weren’t like her. Maiev was.

She had put on smiles and a brave face when Evie left. She had feigned happiness and support, but she had not truly felt it. Evie. That was what she had called her. Why had she bothered acting? Because she wanted Evie to be happy. How she felt didn’t matter.

The images were starting to come back. And if she searched them all in truth, she knew, deep down she knew, that Evie couldn’t have known. Neither of them did. They did what they did with what they had. After she had felt alone, she had suffered. And she suffered alone, with no one to back her up. She didn’t want to hate. She had been forced to. And it was easy to hate the one who lived a life of adventure and seeking knowledge, while the other toiled and only suffered. But it was not built on truth. As much as it hurt that Evie wasn’t there, it also became the perfect alibi. She couldn’t know. The villagers, despite always seeming distant to her, even they had not known the attack would come. They had not died protecting her, but they had died all the same. Was it time to stop lying?

Shh, I’m here Vae. I’m here

It was time to cry again. Only this time not in terror and desperation. This time it felt as if she had been deprived of sleep for as long as she could remember, and finally she was allowed to rest. In her bed. “Evie” she whispered through growing sobs. The grip on Evie grew ever tighter, as if locking on as hard as she could to make it so that she could never let go. “Evie” she said again. She couldn’t think, couldn’t see, couldn’t speak. This wasn’t the time for questions, accusations or explanation. Now she just wanted to be with her friend again. She just wanted to let go. If this was another illusion it would probably be the final straw that finally broke her. But she couldn’t fight it. She wanted it to be real too much. And so she left her sanity and fate in the hands of fate.

She had been too busy running from her fears that she had failed to realise… This was where it all began. Here, in this very village. They had walked it and explored it together. The same village that had been cleaned, cleansed of life by the same people who had made Vaermina their prisoner. Her suffering truly began when she left this place. But now she was back. She was back.
| [member="Maiev"] |

Maiev held Vae even closer when the young woman began to sob, bringing her head down into the crook of her neck. Even Maiev could feel the corner of her eyes began to sting, the build up of tears becoming more apparent.

Too many emotions were battering their way through the walls, mental constructs that had been built up over the years. Ones that Maiev had retreated behind to try and forget Vaermina after she had left Dathomir. And in one swift motion, Vae managed to slip through them all without lifting a finger.

“Evie”

The dam broke, and Maiev began to sob along with her. It had been too damn long, time had helped her forget, but coming back here had brought it all back. She remembered their first encounter, the odd little moments that she had cherished. Just the overall years they had spent together, from training to just generally mucking around like any pair of teenagers.

But it also brought to surface one particular emotion that was being buried beneath the ones on display.

Guilt.

Whatever had happened to Vaermina, she was part of the reason it had came to be. Maiev's mind immediately rushing to think the worst of herself, and for good reason most likely.

Slowly, she felt Vaermina's sobs quiten and her body grow more lax. The young witch still kept her in a tight hug, but it was more than apparent she was falling asleep. The heightened emotions had taken its toll on her.

Maiev moved her hand from Vae's hair, and instead used it to hoist her up into her arms - ensuring her old friend's head remained against her shoulder. From there she began to walk, fully intending on taking her back to her ship. As she went to leave the village's walls, she noticed a particularly large tree. Maiev felt her mind pull back to a memory, one where she and Vae would spend nights just sitting up in it and watching the starry night.

It finally dawned on her why the place was so familiar to her - it was the village Vae had been living in, the one she had still been part of when Maiev had left Dathomir. What had happened to it?

There were so many questions, ones that would hopefully get answers in time.

For now, Maiev pressed on and headed towards her ship.

<Are you sure about this, Maiev?>

I'm not going to abandon her again Kalax. Never again.

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

The exhaustion finally took hold. It had wanted to for so long. Finally she felt safe enough to let it. She had been driven to a breaking point, but it would appear fate had desired to give her a fresh chance. Overwhelmed, both physically and mentally, her lights went out.

Vaermina had thought she had died. It took her a good moment to make sure that that was not the case. The strain of exhaustion still wore heavy on her muscles, but it was a relief to feel them enter into the stage of recovery as opposed to constant pressure. Better yet it was so quiet. It very well could have been death, it had Vae wonder if this was what peace was like.

Her dreams had been of Evie, of long nights up in tall trees, of playing harmless pranks with their magic on unsuspecting villagers. It had ensured that in her slumber she could rest.

When she came to she had no idea where she was, how long she had been out, or really much of what had just transpired. “Evie?” she called out into the room on instinct. Strange, how quickly those things came back.

The air felt cold. But it was a comforting sort of cold. They were no longer on Dathomir. A ship? How much of this had she been imagining, how much was real?

| [member="Maiev"] |

There was an earthy scent that flowed throughout the room, a rather odd sight probably given the cold metal walls all around. Its source was the various herbs that Maiev used for her alchemy, situated elsewhere in the ship but a few were hanging in the bedroom.

Along with that was some incense, placed strategically around the room to provide a sense of calm throughout. Maiev had done to this to help Vaermina, at least in hopes that it would keep her mind calmer than it had been on Dathomir.

Once she had carried Vae onboard and settled on the bed, Maiev had immediately flown the ship off the planet, but remained in its orbit. Right now she wasn't sure whether she should just take Vaermina completely away, or remain in arms reach.

For all she knew, her old friend might want to return to Dathomir. Maiev doubted it, but she wasn't going to just take that choice away from her.

At the very least, it took Vae off the planet and away from the spiritual plane that lingered down there.

It had been a few hours since, Maiev had to deal with a few matters, responding to messages left for her. But the rest of her time was watching over Vaermina. She had carefully deposited her on her bed, deciding to not remove her hide and leather in fear of disturbing her further. From there she waited until her friend finally stirred.

"Yeah, it's me Vae." Maiev walked over, sitting down on the side of the bed. It was difficult not to smile, and despite her best ability to keep it small - it ended up being bright and wide, a reminder of the old days.

"How are you feeling?"

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

Evie had really gone the extra mile to ensure that she felt comfortable. Some things she could pick up on, but some were subtle and lost on Vae. Yet their effect was felt, and so it had its intended effect. She felt better than she had in years. It was almost too good to believe. Definitely too much. But Vae was too swept up into this dream that she refused to let go. Even if someone had told her it would end in tears and horror, she would’ve ignored it and kept going until this moment. She would hold onto this moment for as long as she could.

Vae sat up in the bed, feeling the ache of muscle and bone as she did. The room she found herself in felt so foreign, so weird. But it was undeniably calming. It felt safe, like home. Her mind was definitely more at rest than it had been on Dathomir. She had the time to think, and not driven to be constantly on edge by fears and anxieties.

Yeah, it’s me Vae. She wanted to cry again. Instead she let out a laugh. It felt as if her eyes got red, but she tried to calm herself. That big smile of Evie did not help matters either. She had missed her so much. There was no point fighting it. There was no easy way to gloss over what she had been through, or the fact that it was seemingly over. Laughter quickly turned to tears, and the flood gates were once more open.

There was something beautiful about feeling safe enough to cry.

Vae’s hand waved in front of her face, as if to apologise for her behaviour. Deep, loud breaths came as she brought the crying to a halt and steadied herself. In the end, there was really one thing to be said. At the moment it felt like the only thing she could say. But she did, because it was important to her. “Thank you”
| [member="Maiev"] |

Maiev had watched her closely, per instruction by Kalax - who had decided to shift to the background in her host's mind. It had been a long time since the spirit had advised Maiev to leave her childhood friend, potentially dooming Vaermina to whatever fate had befallen her between then and now.

It was only right for Kalax to leave the two witches alone.

When she didn't received an answer, Maiev grew concerned although she stopped herself from outwardly showing it. She watched as Vae slowly pushed herself up so she was sitting, eyes lingering around the room.

Then she saw it, the telltale twitching of the eyes as tears began to form.

Maiev went to hug her, but stopped when Vae brought her hands up, waving them. So she paused, watching as Vae steadied herself and lowered her hands. Eyes still puffy from the crying, Maiev finally shuffled over and pulled Vaermina into a hug.

There was no words Maiev trusted to leave her lips. Right now her mind was full of apologizes she wanted to spew out, but at the same time she wanted to enjoy just having her friend back. To try and ignore the guilt within, slowly eating away at her.

She didn't want to bring it up, and ruin this whole thing - she didn't want to lose Vae right after coming back to her.

"I'm glad you're okay." The words were veiled, as Maiev knew not everything was 'okay' with Vaermina, but it was clear she was referring to her current state of being. Here, safe on her ship. "Do you feel you're able to stand? I think it's time we got you out of that leather and hide."

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

Vaermina didn’t know if she was a hugger. She wasn’t even sure if Maiev was. But what she did know was that she loved this moment. She needed that. It was so easy to let go, to push her troubles to the back of her mind for her to deal with later. Things were good now. Was it so wrong to want to enjoy it while it lasted?

“I’m okay, I’m okay” she said, laughing again. It felt as if she had laughed more in the span of this hour than she had done in a year. And even in this hour, her primary activity seemed to have been crying. Vae gave Evie a parting kiss on the cheek as the pair broke off their heartfelt hug. Her eyes showed clear sign of crying, but the rest of her face had lit back up into a smile when Evie leaned back.

“Ooh!” that thought excited her. Dathomir was hardly the fashion center of the galaxy, especially not the area where Vae had been hanging out in, but she wasn’t completely oblivious to the concept of it. Although what strange outfits and attires Evie used she couldn’t begin to imagine.

“Well, let’s find out” she turned around in the bed to let her feet touch the ground. She slid out, making mock maneuvers with her arms as if she struggled to find balance, but then she actually did and she dropped to one knee. “I’m fine, just a little sore.” she said with an almost apologetic look up to Evie as she pulled herself back up, a hand on the other woman for support.

She would begin to walk with her friend, but letting her take the lead as she was definitely a stranger here. “Where do you even get clothes from? Do you use your powers? Or like, use money and stuff?” curious question, but it was a curious world she had been kept apart from for so long. And there was something so liberating about talking about something so mundane as clothes shopping.

| [member="Maiev"] |

She let out a small laugh seeing Vae's reaction to her suggestion. It reminded Maiev of how conscious her friend use to be about that, and oddity given they had lived in the Wilds - where only hide and leather was available in mass.

But Maiev was glad to hear it, to see not much had changed with the Vae she remembered.

Hopefully anyway, after all ten years had passed since then.

And before she could blink, Vaermina had moved across the bed and swung her legs over to stand. Maiev was on her feet instantly, moving to help her if needed. But almost immediately, she caught on to Vae's mocking movements.

Until she did end up losing her balance, and fell to one knee.

“I’m fine, just a little sore.”

Maiev shook her head as she helped Vae back up onto her feet. She wanted to say something, crack a joke perhaps. Instead she simply smiled, which seemed to be a growing habit with Vaermina around.

"Yes, with money and stuff - specifically credits." She led the other witch across the room, towards a rather large wardrobe that sat against one of the walls. "The galaxy is so big, and there's so many different cultures, with their own style of clothing. You aren't going to know what to do with yourself in some shopping malls. Well, probably rack up one hell of a bill." She made a mental note to herself to make sure she had plenty of credits on hand when she did take Vae to one.

"For now though, how about you find a couple things that interest you." With that, Maiev pulled the wardrobe open, revealing various different outfits she owned. She chuckled lightly at the reaction that got from Vaermina. "I'm serious, practically all of it should be able to fit you, so go wild." Maiev took a step back, allowing Vae to step forwards and browse.

"Oh, and once you have picked I'll take you to the refresher, so you can wash up."

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

This was so light-hearted, casual and fun. She loved it.

Money and stuff. “Wow, look at you. Living the life” Vaermina laughed. A potentially loaded sentence, considering that Vae very much had not. But she hadn't thought of it like that. Not until after she said it. By then it was too late and all she could offer her was a slightly awkward smile and hope she didn’t take it the wrong way. Turning this from fun to uncomfortable was the last thing she wanted right now. “How do you get money?” it was partially to change the subject, but she was also genuinely curious. How did one go about doing that? Just in case she might want to go on a shopping craze of her own.

“I can’t even begin to imagine what that’s like. Can’t wait to see it all for myself.” Wait… She was going to get to see it all, right? Sudden fear and worry crept up on her without warning, and she turned to face Evie with a paler face than the moment before. “I can do that right? I don’t have to go back? You’ll take me away” the last words was intended as a question but left open ended, hanging in the air, desperately, just waiting for her fears to be proved wrong.

As soon as Evie reassured her, she breathed a deep sigh of relief. But of course. Of course she wasn’t going back. It was her choice, and Evie wouldn’t force her. She will just leave you. No, not yet. Go away. Vae hadn’t heard one of the whispers within her mind since she had woken up on the ship. Suppose it was a good thing, they had been inescapable as of late. But it was a constant reminder that she was never truly free.

Vae turned her attention back to the wardrobe. “Woow” she gasped audibly as she looked through it all. That was quite a selection. It was perhaps true that almost anything would’ve impressed her, but still, it was more than what she had thought it’d be. “Yeah, you think?” she asked, while browsing. That was probably true, they seemed to be around the same size. “That’s lucky.”

In her search, Vae came across something entirely else, a rather risque look she thought. She glanced over to Evie, her hand going through the fabric as she gave her a little playful smile and an eyebrow questionably raised, teasing her. She’d look good in that though.

In the end Vae pulled something out that she thought she liked. Though there were many pants&shirts options to choose from, Vae felt like a dress. The one she pulled out was long-sleeved black dresshttps://i.pinimg.com/736x/d2/5d/b6/...7c05b--renaissance-dresses-medieval-dress.jpg, with an elaborate and see-through pattern over her arms. “Can I borrow this one?” Evie had offered but it seemed only fair to ask, in case she picked out like her favourite dress or something.

| [member="Maiev"] |

Maiev chuckled lightly at Vae's comment, living the life in some ways but not entirely. She certainly didn't live in some big fancy house, have servants to tend to her every whim and desire. But then that wasn't really what Maiev ever wanted. She was comfortable as it is, flying around the galaxy with a decent sized amount of wealth.

She had caught Vaermina's look, realizing what the topic had drummed up in the witch's mind and Maiev felt that guilt rearing itself up in her mind. It was quickly put out of her mind as she answered her friend's question.

"Well generally you get money from doing a job." That was a broad as she could say it really. Vae would have some understanding given Maiev used to take on small jobs when they were younger - things that the other villages needed and would pay with certain items or resources. "Remember when I 'borrowed' that book of alchemy from the old man? How I ended up making small poultices and herbal remedies and sold them to the other villages in the Wilds?"

It was an example of what Maiev was getting at, although with the fact in mind that there was now a whole galaxy out there to sell them too.

Things shifted along pleasantly, Maiev watched as Vae's eyes lit up at the sight of all the clothing on offer. In that moment the witch was glad she had specified only one or two things, otherwise she imagined the other woman would've probably taken the whole wardrobe.

She quirked an eyebrow when she caught Vae's playful smile, and it took a moment for Maiev to realize what she had found. A slight blush formed on her cheeks, and Vae hardly needed to say a word to tease her. In the end, Maiev nodded her head - Vae could certainly borrow it and yes, she likely would look great in it.

Maiev shook that image out of her head as Vae pulled out a specific dress, and it brought a smile to her face. Seemed they still had the same kind of taste, as Vaermina had picked one of her favourite dresses - which there were several of the same available because of that fact.

"Yeah you can borrow that, now come on I'll show you to the refresher." With Vae now carrying her two choices in dress, Maiev guided her to the opposite side of the bedroom where there was a door. It slid open, revealing the refresher in question. But Maiev paused before letting Vaermina past the door, realizing her friend was likely unaware of how to even work the shower.

A very slight smirk formed on Maiev's face, before it quickly disappeared.

"All you need to do is press the button and turn the handle." She could've said more, but Maiev had left it there with an amused twinkle in her eyes, letting Vae past. "There's some fresh towels there to dry yourself off, and of course give me a yell if you need any help." She paused, realizing how that sounded. "With the dress I mean."

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

"Ohh, I see. So that still works away from Dathomir too" she had replied thoughtfully. In the end, Vae had nothing. No money, no real clothes save from what Evie gave her. Nothing. So it was somewhat reassuring to know that she could pick up old habits and grow a profit from them.

Or perhaps her powers could be used on those who did not know how to defend against them. There was a risk with picking the right mark, but the potential was great.

"Okay!" Vae tripped eagerly behind Evie, dresses in hand. Perhaps she could even talk her into giving her more than that. But she was getting ahead of herself. Maybe she could get enough credits for clothes and a ship of her own. Though more than likely one of those had to be acquired through less than legal means... The only law she had followed on Dathomir was survival of the fittest.

"That's... Fancy" Vae muttered sounding impressed with her friend's living standards. "Thanks a bunch!" she said, turning around within the room smiling at Evie, even laughing at her next comments. "I'm sure I'll be fine" She hadn't had a proper bath in ages. She had a feeling this would take long.

Left to her own devices she slid out of her primitive attire, hoping to never have to be reduced to that again. Stepping into the shower had her realise she knew way less about this than she had anticipated. "Press... The button. And turn the handle. Simple" she told herself, examining the thing.

She found the button. Pushed it in. Okay, step one done. Then turn... She turned it all the way, but stopped and suddenly let out a surprised scream. The water was attacking! Her hands went up defensively in front of her face to guard against the onslaught of the water's determined stream. Two seconds later, she couldn't help but laugh at herself. How stupid she must have looked. From there on it did not take long for her to get adjusted and figure things out. 'I bet Evie knew this was going to happen', she thought to herself with a smile.

Vae was in no hurry. She took her time scrubbing herself clean of all the dirt and filth of her past. Damp was oozing throughout the entire room. What had served as mirrors was now rendered completely useless. But finally, after a small eternity, looking fresh and squeaky clean, Vae emerged now in a well-fitting black dress.

"You're right. We are about the same size." at least close enough for her to not look entirely awkward. "Thanks again. You have no idea how good that felt."
| [member="Maiev"] |​

"It's no problem at all." Maiev smiled as she watched her friend enter the bathroom.

She had waited by the door once Vae had shut it behind her. Maiev couldn't help herself but listen, taking a pretty solid guess in what her reaction was going to be when she turned the water on. Maiev waited, recalling the fact she hadn't specified to Vae to not turn the handle all the way.

And not a moment later, a surprised scream erupted out from the room.

Maiev couldn't help but laugh lightly, imaging a lot of panicked flailing on Vaermina's part. It brought back a memory of Maiev's from when she had first 'acquired' this ship, found out it had a working refresher. She had much the same reaction, if maybe a bit less screaming and more shock. But Force, was it a lot better than using a lake or a waterfall to wash before.

Although that line of thought made her also think of another memory, or a series of them rather. The ship they were currently on was the same one she had used to leave Dathomir - the same one Vae wanted no part of all those years ago. Albeit with many modifications and changes since then.

Her departure had been no sudden thing. It had taken Maiev a while to get the ship and ensure it was flight ready, which was an ordeal in itself. But the point was that Vaermina was always aware of it, there was nothing either did that the other didn't know of. So when it became apparent Maiev was preparing to leave - things got a bit rough between the two friends.

And now they were on that very same ship, albeit it looked rather different than it once had.

Maiev left the room, opting to occupy herself with something else to keep her mind off those thoughts. She took that time to send a quick message to [member="Elpsis Elaris"], asking for a favour and would give her details when the empath was able to reply.

But by the time Vaermina returned from the refresher, Maiev was back in the room and sitting on the bed. Immediately her eyes were drawn to Vae, The dirt and dried blood was gone, hair now a more manageable mess, something Maiev herself knew very well. The witch's attention slid down her friend's form, seeing how the dress did indeed fit her very well.

A small blush appeared on her cheeks, one that she tried to ignore.

"It's no problem, I have a very good idea of how refreshing it is." Maiev opened her mouth to speak further, but the words she wanted to say refused to leave her lips. Instead she flipped the subject matter. "You hungry?"

| [member="Vaermina"] |​

Vaermina was completely oblivious to the fact that they were on the same ship that Maeiv had aban… Left her in. After all, Vae had never stepped inside of it. She could’ve, probably, but it was sort of a matter of principle. She didn’t want anything to do with it. This had always been Maiev’s thing.

Would it even have mattered now, if she had realised? Times were changing, and times had changed her. She was older now. It was time to see the galaxy. The spirits knew she had seen too much of Dathomir already.

Vae watched Evie’s eyes, searching eagerly for any sign of appreciation or distaste. This was a new look for her, but she liked it. Yet it did feel distinctly like her pretending to be someone she was not. Although that was probably not her talking. She liked it. So it was her. There had never been much opportunity before, especially not in recent times. It would take some getting used to. But by the looks of it, Evie thought it an upgrade as well.

“Yeah? You like it? Think it works?” Vae did a little pirouette as she waited for some juicy validation. “I’ll give it back some day. I’ll buy my own. Loads. With my money” she grinned widely, excited by the thought before correcting herself. “Credits, I mean”

As if on cue, when Evie mentioned food Vae’s stomach started growling. She had sort of forgotten about that with everything else going on. “Yes! Starving actually” Not literally. You know. Provided Evie fed her. “What’s space food like?”

| [member="Maiev"] |

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom