Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Te'r Rekr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Te'r Rekr - Wolf of the Sun

Arcanine_Realistico.png

Image Source: Arvalis on DeviantArt

Name: Te'r rekr
Designation: Non-Sentient
Homeworld: Concord Dawn
Language: Growls, roars, animal noises
Average height of adults: 1-1.7m
Skin color: White
Hair color: Orange, White Mane & Tufts, Black Striping
Breathes: Type 1

STRENGTHS
  • (+) Ride The Tiger: With the te'r rekr being of such a massive size, despite no supernatural abilities towards it for strength or speed, it is quite strong and fast, despite the mass, mostly because the majority of it is lean muscle or loose fur. It is capable, at full size, of an armored Mandalorian riding it for intermittent periods of moderate distance.
  • (+) Heart of the Plains: While not Force Sensitive, per se, te'r rekr are capable of manipulating the Force to alter their body heat to various extremes allowing them to live in a wide array of climates so long as humidity isn't too huge a factor in said environment.In a way, it functions similar to the Jedis' ability of 'tapas', except in this ability, they can also let off a rare blast of heat that the primitives of Concord Dawn believe is sacred fire, and in some cases they are known to leave smoking footprints in the grass. A blast such as this can only happen every few hours or more at full burst, and is more taxing in colder environments and the like.This is less true fire and more manipulation of temperature within their body. Heat expands and gouts out in a flame from mouth or body, giving the appearance of breathing fire or being on fire.

Due to their ability to manipulate and release or absorb heat, most thermal energy directed at the te'r rekr is less effective than the source might wish, and gives it resistance to the effects of extreme heat and cold for a limited time, making say a cryoban grenade marginally less effective, and an incendiary device the same. This ability confers no lightsaber resistance in any form whatsoever.
  • (+) Force-Bond: Te'r Rekr are mildly touched by the Force, and use a form of Force Bond to keep track of their pack-mates over distances and when hunting. Theoretically, could one be tamed, this bond would likely be able to function similar to a familiar bond, excepting that limited to no Force Abilities would be able to be channeled to the beast.

WEAKNESSES
  • (-) Humidity: Excess humidity can dampen both the health and all of the abilities mentioned above. Long enough in such an environment and a te'r rekr will sicken and waste, and eventually die, as their homeostatic temperature regulation for their body is dependent on this ability.
  • (-) Not A Silent Hunter: Due in part to size, and in other parts its natural preference to growl and roar while hunting, and the odd leopard like throat-growls it will make, the te'r rekr is not known for being silent, but instead very vocal, especially when on the hunt or prowl.
  • (-) High Metabolism: Lacking a proper metabolism to regulate heat led to the development of the Te'r Rekrs Force like abilities, but the off-shoot of that enabling them to live elsewhere is that they have to eat quite a lot quite regularly, or they become less and less in control of their actions as hypoglycemic and other metabolic reactions tend to cause blinding rages similar to being rabid.
  • (-) Flame-Touched: If cut off from the Force for a sufficient amount of time, which varies from a day to a few days at most, the Te'r Rekr will sicken, weaken, and eventually spontaneously combust and die as it slowly looses it's abilitity to homeostatically regulate it's own body heat.
  • (-) Dwindling Numbers: Owing to hunting, expansion of culture, and other modernization setbacks, the Te'r Rekr is on the brink of extinction, and thus so rare some question if the existence of the creature itself wasn't just a tale told by shamans on the plains.

Distinctions:
  • Retractable claws (like most cats) capable of shredding most all cloth and textile and leathers, and scoring duraplast, but meeting their match at metals.
  • Jaws & Saber-fangs that can crack and snap a spine in a single bite for most unarmored animals or humanoids.
  • Amazingly powerful musculature enables the te'r rekr to run at roughly 72km/h in short bursts.
  • Though an obvious choice for Mandalorians to want to tame, very few, if any in the history of the people have managed the feat, and it would appear those may be merely folk lore and mythology passed down through the years.

Average Lifespan: 50-75 years
Races: N/A
Estimated Population: A few thousand at most, scattered across Concord Dawn in small packs of a dozen or so.
Diet: Carnivorous
Communication: Growls, Purring, Roars, Scent/Pheremone
Culture: N/A
Technology level: N/A
General behavior: Aggressive and territorial, and pack like. Very loyal to their pack, and known to mate for life. A te'r rekr is most accepting of other canines, though it respects strength and intelligence shown in rivals most of all. Once loyalty is given, the bond is breakable only by death some say.

History:

The Te'r Rekr is a rare and mythical beast from the plains of Concord Dawn. To the natives of the planet, the plains dwelling Asarhai, an offshoot of the Dathmorian Witches and their cults from centuries and possibly millennia ago... To them the Te'r Rekr represents the overwhelming spirit, ferocity, and yet cunning and nobility of the Mandalorian People.

Once, the Te'r Rekr was common, cared for if feared by the Asarhai natives. But when the Mandalorians came long ago, they hunted it. It's pelt was used to trim and line garments or as a trophy, and eventually the fierce and venerable dire beast was hunted nearly to its end, before the Asarhai rose up in its' defense.

In a rare departure from their lands, they journeyed to the lands of Clan Mereel in modern times and demanded an ancient treaty barring them from being hunted be honored. It was consented to by the Alor, Ijaat Mereel, only if he could see one of the beasts in the wild, to know that which he gave such a boon too.

The outcome of the quest to both know the Asarhai was unknown, but the treaty was reaffirmed, and additional sanctuary land given to the natives, with harsh penalties for trespassing or spoiling it. And an formal declaration of alliance between Mereel and the Council of Elders for the natives was declared. What Ijaat and Mereel gained from it, none know yet.

But the Te'r Rekr lives on in at least legend, a beast as transient and harsh, yet real and mercurial, as the Mandalorians and their allies.

Notable Player-Characters: N/A
Intent: A species for the world of Concord Dawn to flesh out it's culture. As people explore and interact with the beast more, the history may be fleshed out or changed when the situation demands, but I wanted to leave it open for a blank slate for people.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]
Please refer to this thread for how to properly source images.

Can you please define what intermittent periods of moderate distance means in the first strength?

How rare is the blast of heat they give off?

For the Force abilities I'd like to see a ten (10) post dev thread focused on the discovery and cataloguing of the species.

Change kph to km/h. Speed is fine, but remove the bit about people saying it can double that and it should be indicated that it's max speed is in short bursts, similar to how a tiger or even a cheetah runs at top speed only in short bursts.

Let me know when you've made changes or if you have questions.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]
Rather than do the dev thread, could you add some sort of Force based weakness to them to balance out the Force based strengths?

Also, unbridled spirit isn't really a weakness. Mout species don't want to be tamed. You can remove that one.

[member="Darth Ignus"]

1. Image Citation fixed.
  2. I am not sure how you quantify the frequency. Do you have a quanitifer or amount or time for recovery or something you are looking for? I figured making it 'rare' was enough to get across the meaning it was more for flavor in roleplay than a useful combat tool. I suppose if we have to bring numbers into it then is once every few hours (1-3 hours) at full-tilt acceptable?
  3. Changed it. I was using an archaic bit of shorthand from my machinist days without realizing.
  4. Am I allowed to do the dev in place of a Force borne weakness? It just seems arbitrary and sits wrong with me to give these creatures a weakness in the Force when really their abilities in the Force are rather minimal. Particularly when you look at other creatures who are approved who are much stronger, do not have that weakness required, and only have Dev differentiating them from this sub. I'm more than happy to do a thread for it. I had plans to for a first IC encounter anyway, so it's totally doable.
  5. If you don't mind, i'd rather keep it. I can move it to special features though, if you feel that is more appropriate. The key to that is I don't want there to be whole squads of folks riding these.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]
No, I'd like to see a weakness in direct response to the Force abilities. Only reason I didn't edit that out was because I figured you may have read my initial post already.

You can keep that weakness. I was just pointing out it wasn't truly necessary.

Frequency can be quantifiable in hours, days, weeks, months, or years. How often can they do it?

[member="Darth Ignus"] - I'd like reasoning I'd need the weakness when others don't. Otherwise I think I'll see about a secobd chance. I don't mind the weakness being there. At a. But I'm not ok with others more powerful not getting it and getting dev. Nor am I ok with it not being explained. I can cite prior approved submissions if you like.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]
I can't speak to how other things were judged. It's not my place. Im judging your submission, not the submission of others.

While these Force abilities don't seem extremely powerful, I can personally think of ways it could be used in a blatantly power gaming manner. For example: Someone could acquire a pack of these and, using Beast Mastery or a similar power, use them to scout out vast areas with their Force communication while using their ability to moderate their body temperature as passive camouflage. In conjunction the two abilities can be extremely lethal and overpowering. They need to have some sort of weakness to compensate, as is natural in nature. The Force and it's abilities are powerful. I don't want these to be abused.

Your weakness could describe what happens s when they are cut off from the Force. Do they go crazy? Do they die (like a shark getting flipped upside down becomes unable to swim and then dies)?

[member="Darth Ignus"] - I've added a weakness, and that's as comfy a weakness as I am with them having, considering how common ysalimari and such are for some reason on this site. Also edited the frequency of the heat wave/blast bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom